Amazon's Middle-Earth series

All things Rugby
PUMITA
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by PUMITA »

Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

It will have to be canonical with Tolkien's writings but there is plenty of scope for new characters to sketch out the flimsy skeleton of this period. It would be nice to have the original actors portraying the chiefs of the Eldar but that may prove difficult. Hopefully the makers remember the Eldar do not age at all and only slightly in appearance despite the many years.

As usual filmed in NZ and it may resume soon given the job the people have done collectively in curbing the spread of coronavirus.

Some of the main story lines will be the rise of Sauron and the Numenoreans and their corruption and downfall aside from The Faithful. The War between the Noldor and Sauron and the forging of the rings of power. The destruction of Numenor and the foundation of the two kingdoms and the Last Alliance. Plenty of scope for intrigue, rich characters like Gil-galad, Galadriels sufferings and of course immense battles. Seeing the Numenoreans land in Aman for instance.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 37777
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Anonymous 1 »

PUMITA wrote:Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

It will have to be canonical with Tolkien's writings but there is plenty of scope for new characters to sketch out the flimsy skeleton of this period. It would be nice to have the original actors portraying the chiefs of the Eldar but that may prove difficult. Hopefully the makers remember the Eldar do not age at all and only slightly in appearance despite the many years.

As usual filmed in NZ and it may resume soon given the job the people have done collectively in curbing the spread of coronavirus.

Some of the main story lines will be the rise of Sauron and the Numenoreans and their corruption and downfall aside from The Faithful. The War between the Noldor and Sauron and the forging of the rings of power. The destruction of Numenor and the foundation of the two kingdoms and the Last Alliance. Plenty of scope for intrigue, rich characters like Gil-galad, Galadriels sufferings and of course immense battles. Seeing the Numenoreans land in Aman for instance.
You are going to whinge and moan like a mutha fucka
PUMITA
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by PUMITA »

Anonymous. wrote:
PUMITA wrote:Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

It will have to be canonical with Tolkien's writings but there is plenty of scope for new characters to sketch out the flimsy skeleton of this period. It would be nice to have the original actors portraying the chiefs of the Eldar but that may prove difficult. Hopefully the makers remember the Eldar do not age at all and only slightly in appearance despite the many years.

As usual filmed in NZ and it may resume soon given the job the people have done collectively in curbing the spread of coronavirus.

Some of the main story lines will be the rise of Sauron and the Numenoreans and their corruption and downfall aside from The Faithful. The War between the Noldor and Sauron and the forging of the rings of power. The destruction of Numenor and the foundation of the two kingdoms and the Last Alliance. Plenty of scope for intrigue, rich characters like Gil-galad, Galadriels sufferings and of course immense battles. Seeing the Numenoreans land in Aman for instance.
You are going to whinge and moan like a mutha fucka
Probably. :( There are rumours Galadriel is to be played by a younger actress as opposed to Blanchett. I hope the Tolkien estate insist that this is not canonical. She's the niece of Feanor for pity's sake and unchanged only internally by her contact with Melian.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 29546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Floppykid »

Sounds like it's going to be awful corny dreck.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 12165
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by mr bungle »

Floppykid wrote:Sounds like it's going to be awful corny dreck.
Floppykid with the customary kiss of death. Should mean it’ll be half decent.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9012
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Leinsterman »

Anonymous. wrote: You are going to whinge and moan like a mutha fucka
Floppykid wrote:Sounds like it's going to be awful corny dreck.

Anon aimed this at the wrong poster.
User avatar
New guy
Posts: 4538
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by New guy »

Has potential to be good I think. Lotr has great lore but is complicated to explain to somebody who isn't a massive f**king nerd.

"So there's this magical tree..."

I imagine they'll take out some of the more batshit stuff.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 28898
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by eldanielfire »

Kinda interested. I think it'll be of the quality of Amazon's other productions, high production values, great concept, but only produces a decent show rather than a great one.
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Hellraiser »

If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
User avatar
ScarfaceClaw
Posts: 12128
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Hellraiser wrote:If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
There will be the it doesn’t have enough diversity side versus the nerds arguing that page 973 mentions Barry was shorter than Gerald and he’s clearly taller in this scene.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 9012
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Leinsterman »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
There will be the it doesn’t have enough diversity side versus the nerds arguing that page 973 mentions Barry was shorter than Gerald and he’s clearly taller in this scene.
Could you kindly clarify p973 of which book? Also, you're talking shite because there's no Barry or Gerald that I'm aware of in any of the books.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 15163
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Winnie »

PUMITA wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
PUMITA wrote:Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

It will have to be canonical with Tolkien's writings but there is plenty of scope for new characters to sketch out the flimsy skeleton of this period. It would be nice to have the original actors portraying the chiefs of the Eldar but that may prove difficult. Hopefully the makers remember the Eldar do not age at all and only slightly in appearance despite the many years.

As usual filmed in NZ and it may resume soon given the job the people have done collectively in curbing the spread of coronavirus.

Some of the main story lines will be the rise of Sauron and the Numenoreans and their corruption and downfall aside from The Faithful. The War between the Noldor and Sauron and the forging of the rings of power. The destruction of Numenor and the foundation of the two kingdoms and the Last Alliance. Plenty of scope for intrigue, rich characters like Gil-galad, Galadriels sufferings and of course immense battles. Seeing the Numenoreans land in Aman for instance.
You are going to whinge and moan like a mutha fucka
Probably. :( There are rumours Galadriel is to be played by a younger actress as opposed to Blanchett. I hope the Tolkien estate insist that this is not canonical. She's the niece of Feanor for pity's sake and unchanged only internally by her contact with Melian.
Image
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 19091
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by CrazyIslander »

Make it like the books are just bad recollection of what really happened. Make it like GoT.
User avatar
ScarfaceClaw
Posts: 12128
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Leinsterman wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
There will be the it doesn’t have enough diversity side versus the nerds arguing that page 973 mentions Barry was shorter than Gerald and he’s clearly taller in this scene.
Could you kindly clarify p973 of which book? Also, you're talking shite because there's no Barry or Gerald that I'm aware of in any of the books.
Makes note of which team Leinsterman is in. On opposing sides to Eldanfire. It’s a bold early move in this modern age.
ukjim
Posts: 1938
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by ukjim »

Hellraiser wrote:Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
Yay we can look forward to neck-beard rage at how unbelievable and inaccurate a black man fighting a werewolf is.
User avatar
ScarfaceClaw
Posts: 12128
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
Yay we can look forward to neck-beard rage at how unbelievable and inaccurate a black man fighting a werewolf is.
Galadriel was never a transgender lesbian in the book. This elven story is so inaccurate of history.
User avatar
Nieghorn
Posts: 19099
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Nieghorn »

CrazyIslander wrote:Make it like the books are just bad recollection of what really happened. Make it like GoT.
Tolkein but with Tits?
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11217
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by A5D5E5 »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
Yay we can look forward to neck-beard rage at how unbelievable and inaccurate a black man fighting a werewolf is.
Galadriel was never a transgender lesbian in the book. This elven story is so inaccurate of history.
Elrond and Elros will self identify as cis-elf and cis-human.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 29546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Floppykid »

It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.
User avatar
MrJonno
Posts: 6795
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Shangri-La

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by MrJonno »

Is this going to be dragons and tits without the tits*..... or dragons**?




*I'm not talking about internerds
**Or their girlfriends/mothers
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Hellraiser »

Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 29546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Floppykid »

Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
The cast is interesting
User avatar
hermes-trismegistus
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by hermes-trismegistus »

Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
ukjim
Posts: 1938
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by ukjim »

hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
User avatar
hermes-trismegistus
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by hermes-trismegistus »

ukjim wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5432
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Hellraiser »

ukjim wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.

:roll:
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 29546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Floppykid »

hermes-trismegistus wrote:
ukjim wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.
Reasonable point, well put.
Heretic.
User avatar
hermes-trismegistus
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by hermes-trismegistus »

Floppykid wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
ukjim wrote:
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.
Reasonable point, well put.
Heretic.
Hopefully, I'll get to pick out my own stake.
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Hellraiser »

hermes-trismegistus wrote:
ukjim wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.

How exactly people expect such stuff to be shoe-horned into a mythos that is specifically informed by Tolkien's northern European antiquarianism and Catholicism without it being utterly worldbreaking is beyond me.
SFBB
Posts: 4235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by SFBB »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
If it was faithfully transcribed from the source material, it would be total and utter poo. You can't read any Tolkien and think "This was perfectly done, and no improvements could possibly be made."

Its a rambling mess of confusion and overdetail.
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11217
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by A5D5E5 »

SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
If it was faithfully transcribed from the source material, it would be total and utter poo. You can't read any Tolkien and think "This was perfectly done, and no improvements could possibly be made."

Its a rambling mess of confusion and overdetail.
Improvements certainly can be made, but the primary source material for the second age, the Akallabeth and the "Of the rings of power" sections of the Silmarillion are very different to the writing of the Lord of the Rings and only comprise about 50 pages in total. Detailed they aren't!
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 29546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Floppykid »

Yup, the original trilogy is the best that can be adapted out of his work.

The Hobbit could have been interesting without it being stretched to three films and taken out of GDT's hands, but the studio wanted bank.
SFBB
Posts: 4235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by SFBB »

A5D5E5 wrote:
SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
If it was faithfully transcribed from the source material, it would be total and utter poo. You can't read any Tolkien and think "This was perfectly done, and no improvements could possibly be made."

Its a rambling mess of confusion and overdetail.
Improvements certainly can be made, but the primary source material for the second age, the Akallabeth and the "Of the rings of power" sections of the Silmarillion are very different to the writing of the Lord of the Rings and only comprise about 50 pages in total. Detailed they aren't!
I'm well aware. I've been a Tolkien fanboy since I was 9, but lets not pretend his writing was some sort of unreachable, unimprovable pinnacle.

I would feel comfortable to state that 90% of people who ever tried to read the Silmarillion failed, and the rest are in this thread.
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11217
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by A5D5E5 »

SFBB wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
If it was faithfully transcribed from the source material, it would be total and utter poo. You can't read any Tolkien and think "This was perfectly done, and no improvements could possibly be made."

Its a rambling mess of confusion and overdetail.
Improvements certainly can be made, but the primary source material for the second age, the Akallabeth and the "Of the rings of power" sections of the Silmarillion are very different to the writing of the Lord of the Rings and only comprise about 50 pages in total. Detailed they aren't!
I'm well aware. I've been a Tolkien fanboy since I was 9, but lets not pretend his writing was some sort of unreachable, unimprovable pinnacle.

I would feel comfortable to state that 90% of people who ever tried to read the Silmarillion failed, and the rest are in this thread.
I don't know about the percentage, but certainly anyone who read TLoTR and then started the Silmarillion expecting more of the same would be in for a bit of a shock.

I expect my complete set of "The History of Middle Earth" which I originally collected as separate editions as they were issued, and then replaced with the 3 volume compendium edition as the fact they changed the style of the single editions so they looked odd on the bookshelf next to each other puts me firmly in the "fanboy" camp (with a side order of OCD) as well :lol:
SFBB
Posts: 4235
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by SFBB »

What he did was create an amazingly rich universe filled with intrigue. TBH if they made a TV show about the goings on of Tom Bombadill I would definitely watch it. As long as they stick to the high fantasy style and don't try to make it something with more mass appeal, it'll be good.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 18282
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by DOB »

SFBB wrote: I would feel comfortable to state that 90% of people who ever tried to read the Silmarillion failed, and the rest are in this thread.
I'm just here to point out that I'm in the 90%.
User avatar
hermes-trismegistus
Posts: 3250
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by hermes-trismegistus »

Hellraiser wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
ukjim wrote:
IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.

How exactly people expect such stuff to be shoe-horned into a mythos that is specifically informed by Tolkien's northern European antiquarianism and Catholicism without it being utterly worldbreaking is beyond me.
It'd be difficult to pull something like this off even in an age where the woke wasn't. Tolkien's very rigid. You can play with it a little, I think. But only a little. After that you'll lose the flavour. In other words, the potential for some world-breaking here is very strong. If it's run through a committee of tin-eared woke script editors, God help it.

We can hope however.
User avatar
Derwyn
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:08 am

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Derwyn »

They should get Howard Shore involved
User avatar
DragonKhan
Posts: 4548
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by DragonKhan »

New guy wrote:Has potential to be good I think. Lotr has great lore but is complicated to explain to somebody who isn't a massive f**king nerd.

"So there's this magical tree..."

I imagine they'll take out some of the more batshit stuff.
TWO Magical trees ya jackass! I wanna see Melkor watching Ungoliant devour the trees and growing impossibly big and capturing Melkor before Balrogs arrive to save their master

Though that would be first age sadly
Post Reply