Amazon's Middle-Earth series

All things Rugby
PUMITA

Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by PUMITA »

Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

It will have to be canonical with Tolkien's writings but there is plenty of scope for new characters to sketch out the flimsy skeleton of this period. It would be nice to have the original actors portraying the chiefs of the Eldar but that may prove difficult. Hopefully the makers remember the Eldar do not age at all and only slightly in appearance despite the many years.

As usual filmed in NZ and it may resume soon given the job the people have done collectively in curbing the spread of coronavirus.

Some of the main story lines will be the rise of Sauron and the Numenoreans and their corruption and downfall aside from The Faithful. The War between the Noldor and Sauron and the forging of the rings of power. The destruction of Numenor and the foundation of the two kingdoms and the Last Alliance. Plenty of scope for intrigue, rich characters like Gil-galad, Galadriels sufferings and of course immense battles. Seeing the Numenoreans land in Aman for instance.
Anonymous 1

Re: Amazon's Middle-Earth series

Post by Anonymous 1 »

PUMITA wrote:Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

It will have to be canonical with Tolkien's writings but there is plenty of scope for new characters to sketch out the flimsy skeleton of this period. It would be nice to have the original actors portraying the chiefs of the Eldar but that may prove difficult. Hopefully the makers remember the Eldar do not age at all and only slightly in appearance despite the many years.

As usual filmed in NZ and it may resume soon given the job the people have done collectively in curbing the spread of coronavirus.

Some of the main story lines will be the rise of Sauron and the Numenoreans and their corruption and downfall aside from The Faithful. The War between the Noldor and Sauron and the forging of the rings of power. The destruction of Numenor and the foundation of the two kingdoms and the Last Alliance. Plenty of scope for intrigue, rich characters like Gil-galad, Galadriels sufferings and of course immense battles. Seeing the Numenoreans land in Aman for instance.
You are going to whinge and moan like a mutha fucka
PUMITA

Post by PUMITA »

Anonymous. wrote:
PUMITA wrote:Five seasons planned each of around twenty episodes. The Tolkien estate is confining any dramatization to the Second Age some 3400 years of history.

Probably. :( There are rumours Galadriel is to be played by a younger actress as opposed to Blanchett. I hope the Tolkien estate insist that this is not canonical. She's the niece of Feanor for pity's sake and unchanged only internally by her contact with Melian.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Sounds like it's going to be awful corny dreck.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Floppykid wrote:Sounds like it's going to be awful corny dreck.
Floppykid with the customary kiss of death. Should mean it’ll be half decent.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Anonymous. wrote: You are going to whinge and moan like a mutha fucka
Floppykid wrote:Sounds like it's going to be awful corny dreck.

Anon aimed this at the wrong poster.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Has potential to be good I think. Lotr has great lore but is complicated to explain to somebody who isn't a massive f**king nerd.

"So there's this magical tree..."

I imagine they'll take out some of the more batshit stuff.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Kinda interested. I think it'll be of the quality of Amazon's other productions, high production values, great concept, but only produces a decent show rather than a great one.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Hellraiser wrote:If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
There will be the it doesn’t have enough diversity side versus the nerds arguing that page 973 mentions Barry was shorter than Gerald and he’s clearly taller in this scene.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:If it ever gets off the ground it'll be terrible. Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
There will be the it doesn’t have enough diversity side versus the nerds arguing that page 973 mentions Barry was shorter than Gerald and he’s clearly taller in this scene.
Could you kindly clarify p973 of which book? Also, you're talking shite because there's no Barry or Gerald that I'm aware of in any of the books.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

PUMITA wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:

Probably. :( There are rumours Galadriel is to be played by a younger actress as opposed to Blanchett. I hope the Tolkien estate insist that this is not canonical. She's the niece of Feanor for pity's sake and unchanged only internally by her contact with Melian.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Make it like the books are just bad recollection of what really happened. Make it like GoT.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Leinsterman wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Could you kindly clarify p973 of which book? Also, you're talking shite because there's no Barry or Gerald that I'm aware of in any of the books.
Makes note of which team Leinsterman is in. On opposing sides to Eldanfire. It’s a bold early move in this modern age.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

Hellraiser wrote:Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
Yay we can look forward to neck-beard rage at how unbelievable and inaccurate a black man fighting a werewolf is.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:Not a hope in hell in this day and age that woke bullshit won't be crudely shoved into it.
Yay we can look forward to neck-beard rage at how unbelievable and inaccurate a black man fighting a werewolf is.
Galadriel was never a transgender lesbian in the book. This elven story is so inaccurate of history.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

CrazyIslander wrote:Make it like the books are just bad recollection of what really happened. Make it like GoT.
Tolkein but with Tits?
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Galadriel was never a transgender lesbian in the book. This elven story is so inaccurate of history.
Elrond and Elros will self identify as cis-elf and cis-human.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Is this going to be dragons and tits without the tits*..... or dragons**?

*I'm not talking about internerds
**Or their girlfriends/mothers
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Floppykid wrote:It is going to be pretty funny if they make it all woke.

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Hellraiser wrote:

Of course they're going to make it all woke. And it'll be the biggest and most expensive box-office bomb in television history.
The cast is interesting
hermes-trismegistus

Post by hermes-trismegistus »

Hellraiser wrote:

God, I hope not. Like my escapism to be escapist. Not a thinly veiled lecture.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
hermes-trismegistus

ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

IKR black actors/portrayals of homosexuality/women leaders in sci-fi or fantasy settings completely destroys my ability to suspend disbelief.
There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

:roll:
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

There's a fourth wall that's necessary for most drama to work and for an audience to go along with it. Jamming in a bunch of contemporary hot button issues is a surefire way of wrecking it if you're dealing with a mythopoetic epic.
Reasonable point, well put.
Heretic.
hermes-trismegistus

Floppykid wrote:
ukjim wrote:
Reasonable point, well put.
Heretic.
Hopefully, I'll get to pick out my own stake.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

ukjim wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

How exactly people expect such stuff to be shoe-horned into a mythos that is specifically informed by Tolkien's northern European antiquarianism and Catholicism without it being utterly worldbreaking is beyond me.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
If it was faithfully transcribed from the source material, it would be total and utter poo. You can't read any Tolkien and think "This was perfectly done, and no improvements could possibly be made."

Its a rambling mess of confusion and overdetail.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

SFBB wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:I won't watch it. No chance it will successfully transfer fron the source material
If it was faithfully transcribed from the source material, it would be total and utter poo. You can't read any Tolkien and think "This was perfectly done, and no improvements could possibly be made."

Improvements certainly can be made, but the primary source material for the second age, the Akallabeth and the "Of the rings of power" sections of the Silmarillion are very different to the writing of the Lord of the Rings and only comprise about 50 pages in total. Detailed they aren't!
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Yup, the original trilogy is the best that can be adapted out of his work.

The Hobbit could have been interesting without it being stretched to three films and taken out of GDT's hands, but the studio wanted bank.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

A5D5E5 wrote:
SFBB wrote:

Improvements certainly can be made, but the primary source material for the second age, the Akallabeth and the "Of the rings of power" sections of the Silmarillion are very different to the writing of the Lord of the Rings and only comprise about 50 pages in total. Detailed they aren't!
I'm well aware. I've been a Tolkien fanboy since I was 9, but lets not pretend his writing was some sort of unreachable, unimprovable pinnacle.

I would feel comfortable to state that 90% of people who ever tried to read the Silmarillion failed, and the rest are in this thread.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

SFBB wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
SFBB wrote:

I'm well aware. I've been a Tolkien fanboy since I was 9, but lets not pretend his writing was some sort of unreachable, unimprovable pinnacle.

I would feel comfortable to state that 90% of people who ever tried to read the Silmarillion failed, and the rest are in this thread.
I don't know about the percentage, but certainly anyone who read TLoTR and then started the Silmarillion expecting more of the same would be in for a bit of a shock.

I expect my complete set of "The History of Middle Earth" which I originally collected as separate editions as they were issued, and then replaced with the 3 volume compendium edition as the fact they changed the style of the single editions so they looked odd on the bookshelf next to each other puts me firmly in the "fanboy" camp (with a side order of OCD) as well :lol:
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

What he did was create an amazingly rich universe filled with intrigue. TBH if they made a TV show about the goings on of Tom Bombadill I would definitely watch it. As long as they stick to the high fantasy style and don't try to make it something with more mass appeal, it'll be good.
DOB

Post by DOB »

SFBB wrote: I would feel comfortable to state that 90% of people who ever tried to read the Silmarillion failed, and the rest are in this thread.
I'm just here to point out that I'm in the 90%.
hermes-trismegistus

Hellraiser wrote:
ukjim wrote:

How exactly people expect such stuff to be shoe-horned into a mythos that is specifically informed by Tolkien's northern European antiquarianism and Catholicism without it being utterly worldbreaking is beyond me.
It'd be difficult to pull something like this off even in an age where the woke wasn't. Tolkien's very rigid. You can play with it a little, I think. But only a little. After that you'll lose the flavour. In other words, the potential for some world-breaking here is very strong. If it's run through a committee of tin-eared woke script editors, God help it.

We can hope however.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

They should get Howard Shore involved
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

New guy wrote:Has potential to be good I think. Lotr has great lore but is complicated to explain to somebody who isn't a massive f**king nerd.

"So there's this magical tree..."

I imagine they'll take out some of the more batshit stuff.
TWO Magical trees ya jackass! I wanna see Melkor watching Ungoliant devour the trees and growing impossibly big and capturing Melkor before Balrogs arrive to save their master

Though that would be first age sadly