Has anyone benefitted from Coronavirus pandemic?

All things Rugby
UncleFB

Re: Has anyone benefitted from Coronavirus pandemic?

Post by UncleFB »

fonzeee wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
fonzeee wrote:In a weird way I kind of did...my classes were made all pass/fail (i.e. write in complete sentences and you're good), I avoided having to perform slave labor for pennies on the dollar as would be expected of a typical legal intern but it likely won't negatively affect my CV as not having a gig in the summer normally would, leaving me the opportunity to work at the local supermarket a block from my house (where we've been getting an extra $2 an hour since we're what their PSAs refer to as "heroes" -- almost the amount I'd be making as an intern), a gig far less time and brain-consuming, allowing me plenty of needed R&R to do whatever I like and get smashed on an almost nightly basis.

Plus, I got an amazing deal on an apartment, going from the tenement I reside in now to a balcony on the 7th floor near the middle of a big-but-not-too-big part of the city, for only a few hundred dollars more.

If only the f**king gym was open...
WTF???? What are you studying?
Law

Apparently the idea started on reddit and just a few weeks later managed to be adopted by every law school in the country.

M'lady is studying to be a pharmacist...she was not so lucky. Despite half of her classes involving hands-on lab work, everything was basically kept the same grading-wise; real dick move by the STEM autists that run her university tbh. On the other hand though she and her friends had the last laugh as they basically took their exams together on conference call :lol:
That's nuts. It's Law FFS, there's nothing you can't learn and be assessed on that can't be done on line.

Is that every law school in the US? I can't comprehend this.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

UncleFB wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
fonzeee wrote:In a weird way I kind of did...my classes were made all pass/fail (i.e. write in complete sentences and you're good), I avoided having to perform slave labor for pennies on the dollar as would be expected of a typical legal intern but it likely won't negatively affect my CV as not having a gig in the summer normally would, leaving me the opportunity to work at the local supermarket a block from my house (where we've been getting an extra $2 an hour since we're what their PSAs refer to as "heroes" -- almost the amount I'd be making as an intern), a gig far less time and brain-consuming, allowing me plenty of needed R&R to do whatever I like and get smashed on an almost nightly basis.

Plus, I got an amazing deal on an apartment, going from the tenement I reside in now to a balcony on the 7th floor near the middle of a big-but-not-too-big part of the city, for only a few hundred dollars more.

Law

Apparently the idea started on reddit and just a few weeks later managed to be adopted by every law school in the country.

M'lady is studying to be a pharmacist...she was not so lucky. Despite half of her classes involving hands-on lab work, everything was basically kept the same grading-wise; real dick move by the STEM autists that run her university tbh. On the other hand though she and her friends had the last laugh as they basically took their exams together on conference call :lol:
That's nuts. It's Law FFS, there's nothing you can't learn and be assessed on that can't be done on line.

Legal education here prides itself on keeping the flame alive for the Socratic method of teaching (read: let the students read the passages out of the book so I can sip my coffee and take a cheeky peek at my phone), so not having classes in person was considered especially injurious.

Plus legal education (and increasingly the profession itself) is just generally filled with do-gooders who think they're doing God's work. So really they're a pretty sympathetic bunch. Plus they've got our money anyway
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

fonzeee wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

Law

Legal education here prides itself on keeping the flame alive for the Socratic method of teaching (read: let the students read the passages out of the book so I can sip my coffee and take a cheeky peek at my phone), so not having classes in person was considered especially injurious.

Plus legal education (and increasingly the profession itself) is just generally filled with do-gooders who think they're doing God's work. So really they're a pretty sympathetic bunch. Plus they've got our money anyway
FFS, I hated the Socratic method, precisely because they'd always ask someone who didn't have a clue, and then kept trying to draw the answer out of them despite the fact they didn't have a clue and we'd just waste time.

But, I still don't see how things would change with online - unless you're using some non interactive system and not Zoom (for example).
Pole

Post by Pole »

I would say having to stay home and having all the shops closed has prevented us from spending. This has basically allowed us over the past 3 months to put my entire salary away and live solely on Mrs Poles.

Might be looking at a holiday house as an outcome of this due to being able to afford the deposit.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
julian wrote:In my case daily expenses have been reduced big time so I have extra cash to invest in outstanding wine.... :D :D

Also some restaurants/grills have to find the way to survive as Don Julio

https://www.theworlds50best.com/the-lis ... 's%2050,34

which opened its steaks/meats storage to be sold to the public raw, so put some capital there and bought steaks, beef ribs, etc. etc :D :D
Most Argentine post, ever...
:lol: Funny because true
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Ali's Choice wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:My 3 kids have had different experience. Oldest one has had no change worked at a vet kept her job. Son was an apprentice and lost job but had a back up at KFC. Between KFC and Government earning close to $1k per week. Youngest worked at a gourmet burger place and went to Uni, lost her job so picked up another in a week at bakery, finished Uni semester and will take a break, now working both old and new job and jobkeeper so really earning good money and is split between getting a real job or keeping the two she has going. She has saved close to $10k during CoVid! If she gets a real job she will earn less and probably work more hours.

The economic withdrawal symptons from this free money will be a shock to many.
My daughter is at uni and works part time as a cashier in a newsagent. She's deferring next semester because her uni is fully online and she hated studying online this semester. She would be better off quitting her job and applying for JobSeeker than continuing with her 20 hours per week retail job. She's not going to because she doesn't want to be looking for work when Job Seeker finishes, but this situation is not sustainable. There are probably millions of Australians working right now who would earn more if they quit their jobs.
Getting ahead of the herd looking for jobs is key. My youngest has quit her double degree (Behav. Science & Justice) as she hates the online stuff too. She got a cert 3 in business and cert 4 in justice so she can easily pick up something and I have told her dont delay and start looking. Even without job keep she would have enough from the two jobs money wise but shit career wise.

Its not sustainable but if they can kick the can down the road they will.
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

It basically f**ked me over and back.

I was supposed to do a new job as tour leader, business tourism. It has disappeared for the foreseeable future. I am now contemplating yet another career change into merchant marine. I figure if that disappears it means the wolrd is fecked anyway.

I've also discovered my wife cheated on me, so yeah, that corona thing was a perfect time and I love my life.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:The UK Govt. It has managed a erosion of civil liberty that it would have struggled to effect without this sustained campaign of deception and misinformation.
Nonsense. Before Covid we blamed the EU
The EU wasn't eroding civil liberties per se. It was simply a side effect of centralised control whereby the intended benefactors of a particular policy (e.g. Spanish fishermen) would always have a counter group of losers e.g. those who powerlessly watched the Armada steal all their inshore stocks.
Eh, no. Lasy / dumb British fishermen sold their fishing rights en masse. As a result a full 25% of the UK catch is being done by a single boat based about 20 miles from me in the Netherlands.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Heymans wrote:It basically f**ked me over and back.

I was supposed to do a new job as tour leader, business tourism. It has disappeared for the foreseeable future. I am now contemplating yet another career change into merchant marine. I figure if that disappears it means the wolrd is fecked anyway.

I've also discovered my wife cheated on me, so yeah, that corona thing was a perfect time and I love my life.

Bloody hell. You needed a break. Sorry fella.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Its worked for me and I have saved a lot of money. Safe well paid job so income continues to come in whilst working at home. Reduced costs of petrol, going out drinking and eating, Sky subs cut due to no sport, gym fees stopped due to no access. Also developed blood clots in the lungs post covid19 so now on blood thinners and as a result no alcohol. Now on diet to try and lose a few kgs so eating mostly fruit, veg, good meat and fish. So saving lots of dosh each month and paying off remaining mortgage sum a lot quicker. Now that golf courses are open I can get to my club and play about 3-4 times a week for exercise on top of the daily walks. However trying as hard as I can to spend some dosh locally with small shops and services as I know these guys are having it tough. I know I'm lucky.
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

bimboman wrote:

You know if I didn't have kids I'd be gone already. So tired of all this shit.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Heymans wrote:
bimboman wrote:

You know if I didn't have kids I'd be gone already. So tired of all this shit.

And you should not have to be tired.

Look after the little ones.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

I've benefitted big time. The golf courses here (Myanmar) used to be overrun with Korean Tourists (nothing against Korean tourists in general but I do have something against other people clogging up golf courses) but with Covid all international flights have stopped.

I'm not going to beat around the bush, I'm a terrible golfer but with the courses being empty and not much else to do I've been playing a lot. Usually if I have a good round it is still ruined by 2 or 3 astronomical scores on bad holes but I have practiced and practiced with the big ambition of shooting under 100 (I said I was bad but I do mean a real 100 at least), hit 100 on the nose 3 times in the last month including last week when I could afford to go 12 over for the last 5 holes and went 13........ finally today went 94!

It really is a small benefit because I haven't actually played more golf because of this, it is just more enjoyable as the traffic to and back from the course is lighter and we aren't stuck behind duffers lining up every single putt as if it is to win the Masters. So it is a meaningful benefit.

Now to shoot under 90..... I might need an Ebola, Covid, Aids hybrid global pandemic to achieve that. Fingers crossed
julian

Post by julian »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
julian wrote:In my case daily expenses have been reduced big time so I have extra cash to invest in outstanding wine.... :D :D

Also some restaurants/grills have to find the way to survive as Don Julio

https://www.theworlds50best.com/the-lis ... 's%2050,34

which opened its steaks/meats storage to be sold to the public raw, so put some capital there and bought steaks, beef ribs, etc. etc :D :D
Most Argentine post, ever...
I can feel the jealousy from afar.... :nod:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Shit. You won’t be marking down 2020 as one of the golden years. Hope the second half of the year reverses the downhill trend.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Bindi wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:I'd say most Australia low to middle income families have. Lowered interest on mortgage, early access to superannuation tax free, less spending outside of home. Only if you haven't lost your job, however most people would've received some government assistance.
Couples in their 30s+ could potentially end up benefitting with by at least $50k+ in cash from the pandemic.
Accessing your savings when they're already taken a hit isn't a benefit.
Considering that it'll be 30- 40 yrs before this age group will access it, wouldn't it be better to withdraw it and chuck it on the mortgage? Super doesnt grow by much anyway.
Returns on Super are much higher than the current low mortgage rates.

My super was performing quite nicely the 5 years leading up to Covid.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

towny wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:Super doesnt grow by much anyway.
Lol Wut?

:lol:
:lol: :lol:
Makes no f**king sense at all, returns on super have been very strong, rates to borrow very low.
Take 10k out of a fund returning 7-8%+ to pay down a mortgage that costs 2.6% regardless of capital gains on the house is retarded.
Housing is stagnant but all bets are off come October when unemployment skyrockets.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Harveys wrote:
towny wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Lol Wut?

Makes no f**king sense at all, returns on super have been very strong, rates to borrow very low.
Take 10k out of a fund returning 7-8%+ to pay down a mortgage that costs 2.6% regardless of capital gains on the house is retarded.
Housing is stagnant but all bets are off come October when unemployment skyrockets.
Unless the fund is guaranteed to continue returning 7-8% , then it’s not necessarily a silly move, hindsight is an amazing investment tool :)

Lockdown and lack of spending opportunities has meant we cleared 10% of our mortgage last week. Had already in the year topped up pensions and our Isa’s (tax free wrappers for those not in uk) are still ticking along, so any excess cash went to pay off a bit of mortgage.

Tbh paying off the loan on your own house, is never a bad idea - it may not be the best, but reducing your debt never hurts.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

backrow wrote:
Harveys wrote:
towny wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Lol Wut?

Unless the fund is guaranteed to continue returning 7-8% , then it’s not necessarily a silly move, hindsight is an amazing investment tool :)

Lockdown and lack of spending opportunities has meant we cleared 10% of our mortgage last week. Had already in the year topped up pensions and our Isa’s (tax free wrappers for those not in uk) are still ticking along, so any excess cash went to pay off a bit of mortgage.

Tbh paying off the loan on your own house, is never a bad idea - it may not be the best, but reducing your debt never hurts.
:thumbup:
Clive

Post by Clive »

In answer to the OP. Funeral Directors.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Mask producers

Hand cleaner producers

Anthropophobes