Burnley condemns white lives matter

All things Rugby
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by bimboman »

message #2527204 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The only way forward is to forge a common history and agree what it means to be British in the 21C
Get ****** you Marxist ******
Do you suggest some form of apartheid?

Those that believe in history and those that don’t ?
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by RodneyRegis »

JM2K6 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote: Monster :lol:

He was a philanthropist. He was engaged in the slave trade, something which was still legal a century after his involvement with the Royal African Company, although it appears that probably didn't contribute much of his vast fortune. He improved the lives of countless people in Brizzle and no doubt their descendants who live there to this day. Do you think they erected a statue and named those schools, theatres etc after him because he was some guy travelling around whipping slaves and locking their shackles? He probably never saw a black man in his life.

Stop year-zeroing.


I completely agree that it's distasteful to have monuments to people who engaged in a pursuit so abhorrent to today's society, but to call him a monster is to totally misunderstand his contribution and the issues of the time.
Nice of him to donate some proportion of the money he earned directly from the human misery and suffering of people treated like subhuman chattel

Reputational whitewashing is exactly what this shit is. It's not just a historical thing - you can also throw in the likes of the Sackler family, who probably haven't seen a poor drug addict for decades either, but who are also ~philanthropists~ who've donated money to good causes and been treated like saints because of it.

The statue to the guy went up nearly 200 years after he died, long after it was understood how horrific the slave trade was.
How many Bristolians did his philanthropy pull out of the workhouses of the time? Or is slavery only slavery when it's a black man?

The equivalence with the Sacklers is totally facile, philanthropy 350 years ago did not deliver the same benefits that the Sacklers garnered.

It was understood how horrific the slave trade was, but back then people possessed the nuance to realise that you can't judge people on the social morays of the day.
my 2 cents
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by my 2 cents »

JM2K6 wrote:
my 2 cents wrote:It may well be. Doesn’t mean it has to be pulled down. He was an important man in Bristols history for bad and good.
The bad was very bad and had been completely whitewashed with any attempts to alter that squashed.
Okay then, I want the statue of Oliver Cromwell taken down from Parliament on account of the thousands of Irishmen died because of him
Fine by me. Glorifying these people is a nonsense to begin with.

I certainly don't think the world be worse off for publicly acknowledging some of the heinous shit these people did.
That’s where you and I disagree. I don’t think Cromwell should be taken down nor do I think Coulson one should be.

These are hand-crafted relics of history depicting men with all their faults. Not all good (clearly), but also not all bad. We can surely evaluate these items as adults. Each statue tells part of the story of Britain. Do we erase that? Is a statue celebrating that really. History will be the judge of them. Is it fair that future generations can’t also look at Coulson and incredulously question how seemingly respectable humans acted in such a depraved manner?

Needing to protect the Churchill statue which was also under threat? In Britain??

This cultish behaviour is trying to erase history (with all its faults). As we all know, if we can’t learn from history we are consigned to make the same mistakes.

I seem to recall the same happened in Nazi Germany, during communism in Eastern Europe and Russia, never mind Mao’s China.

People need to be a bit more grown up about history frankly
I like haggis
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by I like haggis »

The Churchill statue was never under threat FFS. It gets spray painted every protest for shock factor and Sadiq Khan boarded it up to stop violence which was probably an overstep but he boarded up loads of statues.

Statues don't show the good as well as the bad. They usually just show either the good or the bad. Mostly the good you'll find, few statues put up to commemorate a sad event.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17010
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Image
User avatar
Plato'sCave
Posts: 15390
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Plato'sCave »

I like haggis wrote:The Churchill statue was never under threat FFS. It gets spray painted every protest for shock factor and Sadiq Khan boarded it up to stop violence which was probably an overstep but he boarded up loads of statues.

Statues don't show the good as well as the bad. They usually just show either the good or the bad. Mostly the good you'll find, few statues put up to commemorate a sad event.
Honest question: how do you know the Churchill statue wasn’t under threat?
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17010
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Image
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17010
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Image
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

my 2 cents wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
my 2 cents wrote:It may well be. Doesn’t mean it has to be pulled down. He was an important man in Bristols history for bad and good.
The bad was very bad and had been completely whitewashed with any attempts to alter that squashed.
Okay then, I want the statue of Oliver Cromwell taken down from Parliament on account of the thousands of Irishmen died because of him
Fine by me. Glorifying these people is a nonsense to begin with.

I certainly don't think the world be worse off for publicly acknowledging some of the heinous shit these people did.
That’s where you and I disagree. I don’t think Cromwell should be taken down nor do I think Coulson one should be.
It's not that I think Cromwell should be taken down. It's that I would not give a shit if he was, because glorifying and hero-worshipping people who've been responsible for some pretty nasty shit is dumb.
These are hand-crafted relics of history depicting men with all their faults. Not all good (clearly), but also not all bad. We can surely evaluate these items as adults. Each statue tells part of the story of Britain. Do we erase that? Is a statue celebrating that really. History will be the judge of them. Is it fair that future generations can’t also look at Coulson and incredulously question how seemingly respectable humans acted in such a depraved manner?
But this is the bullshit part. The statue of Colston does not depict him with his faults. It literally ignores his role as a slave trader and simply glorifies what he did with the money he earned as a slave trader.
Needing to protect the Churchill statue which was also under threat? In Britain??

This cultish behaviour is trying to erase history (with all its faults). As we all know, if we can’t learn from history we are consigned to make the same mistakes.
??? The Churchill statue thing was an invention. It gets graffitied at every protest. It's been boarded up on several occasions.

If you put up monuments to men who've done some great things and some horrific things, expect pushback. It's precisely because statues hide the downside of the history that they can attract this anger.

Statues are not history. Not having a statue to Hitler doesn't mean we can't learn what he did and why he was so bad.
I seem to recall the same happened in Nazi Germany, during communism in Eastern Europe and Russia, never mind Mao’s China.

People need to be a bit more grown up about history frankly
I'm sure they would be if it wasn't quite so one-sided.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41944
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote: Monster :lol:

He was a philanthropist. He was engaged in the slave trade, something which was still legal a century after his involvement with the Royal African Company, although it appears that probably didn't contribute much of his vast fortune. He improved the lives of countless people in Brizzle and no doubt their descendants who live there to this day. Do you think they erected a statue and named those schools, theatres etc after him because he was some guy travelling around whipping slaves and locking their shackles? He probably never saw a black man in his life.

Stop year-zeroing.


I completely agree that it's distasteful to have monuments to people who engaged in a pursuit so abhorrent to today's society, but to call him a monster is to totally misunderstand his contribution and the issues of the time.
Nice of him to donate some proportion of the money he earned directly from the human misery and suffering of people treated like subhuman chattel

Reputational whitewashing is exactly what this shit is. It's not just a historical thing - you can also throw in the likes of the Sackler family, who probably haven't seen a poor drug addict for decades either, but who are also ~philanthropists~ who've donated money to good causes and been treated like saints because of it.

The statue to the guy went up nearly 200 years after he died, long after it was understood how horrific the slave trade was.
How many Bristolians did his philanthropy pull out of the workhouses of the time? Or is slavery only slavery when it's a black man?

The equivalence with the Sacklers is totally facile, philanthropy 350 years ago did not deliver the same benefits that the Sacklers garnered.

It was understood how horrific the slave trade was, but back then people possessed the nuance to realise that you can't judge people on the social morays of the day.
There were always plenty of people who thought the slave trade was barbaric and that slavers were godless
DAC_
Posts: 2820
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by DAC_ »

The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 14048
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by message #2527204 »

I like haggis wrote:The Churchill statue was never under threat FFS. It gets spray painted every protest for shock factor and Sadiq Khan boarded it up to stop violence which was probably an overstep but he boarded up loads of statues.

Statues don't show the good as well as the bad. They usually just show either the good or the bad. Mostly the good you'll find, few statues put up to commemorate a sad event.
Is that Melville one under threat? Nasty piece of work that chap, gave Clive a bad name in India.
I like haggis
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by I like haggis »

Plato'sCave wrote:
I like haggis wrote:The Churchill statue was never under threat FFS. It gets spray painted every protest for shock factor and Sadiq Khan boarded it up to stop violence which was probably an overstep but he boarded up loads of statues.

Statues don't show the good as well as the bad. They usually just show either the good or the bad. Mostly the good you'll find, few statues put up to commemorate a sad event.
Honest question: how do you know the Churchill statue wasn’t under threat?
Because it's Winston Churchill. Colston is a minor historical figure. Churchill is "the finest Britain". No point police getting in a fight over Colston. They definitely would be in batons swinging over Churchill.

And Boris Johnson is more likely to show up at my house start crying and make my dog prime minister than allow the statue to be pulled down.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
mdaclarke
Posts: 4172
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by mdaclarke »

JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... useum.html
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by bimboman »

JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.

Your opinion carries a huge amount of weight again.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

mdaclarke wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... useum.html
I don't doubt there are individuals who want it removed. There always will be. But an interview after the statue was boarded up, after BLM called off their protest because of the far right hijacking things, is not, I'm afraid, any kind of evidence that people were going to pull the statue down.

If you look hard enough you'll also find some desultory comments on the internet about the statue and some old petitions, too. But it's never been a real bone of contention for black community, there's never been any real desire to get rid of it, and there was never any threat beyond graffiti.

It wasn't until Boris built his strawman that anyone actually got angry about the statue.
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by bimboman »

It wasn't until Boris built his strawman that anyone actually got angry about the statue.

No wonder you’d want history replaced , this new version of events is a week or two old.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41944
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mdaclarke wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... useum.html
:lol:
User avatar
Plato'sCave
Posts: 15390
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Plato'sCave »

As you know from my usual on the fence posting I’m generally pretty central to soft left wing as an aggregate. However from my relatively neutral position of no agenda I can tell you there’s far more bullshit coming from the left at the moment. There’s far less tolerance coming from the left at the moment. There’s far more holier than thou bull shit coming from the left right now and there’s far more double think and double speak coming from the left, and quite frankly the smear campaigns against anyone even remotely right wing is stark to say the least. Now I’m not going to go hard right as a reaction because I don’t fall for the false dilemma. So hard left, sort your shit out, it’s embarrassing.
User avatar
Yourmother
Posts: 12257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Yourmother »

.
Edit: moved to other thread
Last edited by Yourmother on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous. wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote: Monster :lol:

He was a philanthropist. He was engaged in the slave trade, something which was still legal a century after his involvement with the Royal African Company, although it appears that probably didn't contribute much of his vast fortune. He improved the lives of countless people in Brizzle and no doubt their descendants who live there to this day. Do you think they erected a statue and named those schools, theatres etc after him because he was some guy travelling around whipping slaves and locking their shackles? He probably never saw a black man in his life.

Stop year-zeroing.


I completely agree that it's distasteful to have monuments to people who engaged in a pursuit so abhorrent to today's society, but to call him a monster is to totally misunderstand his contribution and the issues of the time.
He was monstrous to black people. He knew this and he was OK with it. it's incredible you would deny it and make out that not actually seeing the people meant he wasn't.

I'm sure he would have considered what he did to be inhumanly or outrageously evil or wrong if it was being done to white people
Maybe, maybe not. I'd say it's more likely he'd have thought it was wrong if it were being done to English people or Bristolians. Slave traders didn't trade in black slaves because they were black, they traded in them because they were slaves. Plenty of white people were being traded as slaves at the time, and there are more people in slavery today than were traded in all those centuries in the Atlantic.

Do you think the Atlantic slave trade was carried out solely by white people? African slavers continued the trade of black slaves long after it became illegal in the UK and the US. Did they do it because the slaves were black?
I like haggis
Posts: 5048
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by I like haggis »

The Atlantic slave trade wasn't racist eh
mdaclarke
Posts: 4172
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by mdaclarke »

JM2K6 wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... useum.html
I don't doubt there are individuals who want it removed. There always will be. But an interview after the statue was boarded up, after BLM called off their protest because of the far right hijacking things, is not, I'm afraid, any kind of evidence that people were going to pull the statue down.

If you look hard enough you'll also find some desultory comments on the internet about the statue and some old petitions, too. But it's never been a real bone of contention for black community, there's never been any real desire to get rid of it, and there was never any threat beyond graffiti.

It wasn't until Boris built his strawman that anyone actually got angry about the statue.

Yes it is. It is evidence that she wants to pull it down, unless you don't consider her to be a person
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by RodneyRegis »

JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
Oh FFS.
mdaclarke
Posts: 4172
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by mdaclarke »

Anonymous. wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... useum.html
:lol:
You may find it funny, but I would bet that the majority of british voters don't find a threat to pull down Churchill's statute funny
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

mdaclarke wrote:Yes it is. It is evidence that she wants to pull it down, unless you don't consider her to be a person
No. It's evidence that she believes it should be in a museum. Which is not evidence she wants to pull it down, nor is it evidence the statue was under threat of being pulled down, especially not when Boris made his inflammatory comments. Did you even read the article you posted?

"I believe these statues should be moved to a museum I think it's a win win for everyone" is not "WE'RE GOING TO PULL THIS STATUE DOWN"

otherwise you'd better leave it boarded up forever because I doubt she's going to change her mind :roll:
mdaclarke
Posts: 4172
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by mdaclarke »

Saw this on the Guardian and think it applies to a lot of people on this bored

"What Labour and the left have basically done, is march to political pastures new, only to then turn around and discover - to their absolute shock - that the majority of the electorate just haven’t followed them.

Labour’s reaction to this is to then stand there in their wonderful new pasture and angrily bollock the electorate for not following them. With Labour, everything always seems to be the electorate’s fault (usually portrayed as a bunch of racist thickies who believe everything the Daily Mail tells them to think) never Labour’s.

Hint: screaming Tory Scum in voters faces and denouncing anyone who dares to disagree with you as an evil racist far right Nazi, makes you look like a bunch of angry, ranting pop-eyed Trots and will never win you a single new vote"
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

RodneyRegis wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
Oh FFS.
Just look at who turned up to defend them.
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

Plato'sCave wrote:I’m fine with tearing down every single graven image on earth of man, woman and beast. If you’re going to do it, do it right. Get them all down and let’s do the First Commandment properly.
I presume we burn all the Picassos as a misogynistic paedophile [allegedly]?
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

mdaclarke wrote:You may find it funny, but I would bet that the majority of british voters don't find a threat to pull down Churchill's statute funny
Quote the threat to pull it down or leave the board forever*




*like a month at most
User avatar
Torquemada 1420
Posts: 29067
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Hut 8

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

JM2K6 wrote: Fine by me. Glorifying these people is a nonsense to begin with.
Tell me you are not serious?
bimboman
Posts: 70470
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by bimboman »

RodneyRegis wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
Oh FFS.


It’s great, left attack statues. Left protesters vandalise a Churchill statue, all a right wing plot.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by RodneyRegis »

I like haggis wrote:The Atlantic slave trade wasn't racist eh
Yeah, all those racist Nigerian slavers. Who do you think sold the slaves to the white men?
DAC_
Posts: 2820
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by DAC_ »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:I’m fine with tearing down every single graven image on earth of man, woman and beast. If you’re going to do it, do it right. Get them all down and let’s do the First Commandment properly.
I presume we burn all the Picassos as a misogynistic paedophile [allegedly]?
They are only interested in British history.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41944
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote: Monster :lol:

He was a philanthropist. He was engaged in the slave trade, something which was still legal a century after his involvement with the Royal African Company, although it appears that probably didn't contribute much of his vast fortune. He improved the lives of countless people in Brizzle and no doubt their descendants who live there to this day. Do you think they erected a statue and named those schools, theatres etc after him because he was some guy travelling around whipping slaves and locking their shackles? He probably never saw a black man in his life.

Stop year-zeroing.


I completely agree that it's distasteful to have monuments to people who engaged in a pursuit so abhorrent to today's society, but to call him a monster is to totally misunderstand his contribution and the issues of the time.
He was monstrous to black people. He knew this and he was OK with it. it's incredible you would deny it and make out that not actually seeing the people meant he wasn't.

I'm sure he would have considered what he did to be inhumanly or outrageously evil or wrong if it was being done to white people
Maybe, maybe not. I'd say it's more likely he'd have thought it was wrong if it were being done to English people or Bristolians. Slave traders didn't trade in black slaves because they were black, they traded in them because they were slaves. Plenty of white people were being traded as slaves at the time, and there are more people in slavery today than were traded in all those centuries in the Atlantic.

Do you think the Atlantic slave trade was carried out solely by white people? African slavers continued the trade of black slaves long after it became illegal in the UK and the US. Did they do it because the slaves were black?
I didn't know there was a industrial British white slave trade thing going on at the time. Where were they getting them from and where were they being put to work
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by RodneyRegis »

JM2K6 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
The Churchill statue thing was an invention.
:lol: :lol:

The Left try and gaslight people at every turn.
It was an invention. No-one was going to pull the statue down. It got graffitied like it has been pretty much every time there's a protest. "Defending the statue" turned into a dog-whistle for racists, happily stoked by the right wing media and Boris, when there was never any actual threat.

Loads of statues been pulled down eh? Just a wave of it happening across the country.
Oh FFS.
Just look at who turned up to defend them.
People who felt able to confront a rabble? I think you'll find plenty of not football hooligans would have been pretty upset by the idea of a BLM organiser saying that Churchill's statue should be taken down.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous. wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote: Monster :lol:

He was a philanthropist. He was engaged in the slave trade, something which was still legal a century after his involvement with the Royal African Company, although it appears that probably didn't contribute much of his vast fortune. He improved the lives of countless people in Brizzle and no doubt their descendants who live there to this day. Do you think they erected a statue and named those schools, theatres etc after him because he was some guy travelling around whipping slaves and locking their shackles? He probably never saw a black man in his life.

Stop year-zeroing.


I completely agree that it's distasteful to have monuments to people who engaged in a pursuit so abhorrent to today's society, but to call him a monster is to totally misunderstand his contribution and the issues of the time.
He was monstrous to black people. He knew this and he was OK with it. it's incredible you would deny it and make out that not actually seeing the people meant he wasn't.

I'm sure he would have considered what he did to be inhumanly or outrageously evil or wrong if it was being done to white people
Maybe, maybe not. I'd say it's more likely he'd have thought it was wrong if it were being done to English people or Bristolians. Slave traders didn't trade in black slaves because they were black, they traded in them because they were slaves. Plenty of white people were being traded as slaves at the time, and there are more people in slavery today than were traded in all those centuries in the Atlantic.

Do you think the Atlantic slave trade was carried out solely by white people? African slavers continued the trade of black slaves long after it became illegal in the UK and the US. Did they do it because the slaves were black?
I didn't know there was a thriving British white slave trade thing going on at the time. Where were they getting them from and where were they being put to work
I'm sure you didn't.
User avatar
Plato'sCave
Posts: 15390
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by Plato'sCave »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:I’m fine with tearing down every single graven image on earth of man, woman and beast. If you’re going to do it, do it right. Get them all down and let’s do the First Commandment properly.
I presume we burn all the Picassos as a misogynistic paedophile [allegedly]?
Well if we’re tearing down that which offends then we must recognise that offence can be something that is subjective even to a sole individual and thus we must and accept that no images, depictions, creations, sculptures are ultimately safe. In order to instigate a purely level playing field then everything has to be levelled. After all even those we most sanctify are subject to the human condition of fallibility. If you are looking for a moral defect, you will always find one, in everyone. Or to put it another way, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
User avatar
JM2K6
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Burnley condemns white lives matter

Post by JM2K6 »

RodneyRegis wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:Just look at who turned up to defend them.
People who felt able to confront a rabble? I think you'll find plenty of not football hooligans would have been pretty upset by the idea of a BLM organiser saying that Churchill's statue should be taken down.
Time-travellers eh
Post Reply