Watching the Lions Tour

All things Rugby
Punter15

Watching the Lions Tour

Post by Punter15 »

Need to try and organise a trip to watch some of the Lions SA tour, including at least one test.

Anyone know how best to go about it? Organised tours or try and do it myself?

Cheers
sorCrer

Re: Watching the Lions Tour

Post by sorCrer »

Punter15 wrote:Need to try and organise a trip to watch some of the Lions SA tour, including at least one test.

Anyone know how best to go about it? Organised tours or try and do it myself?

Cheers
From a Saffa, do it yourself. Getting game tickets will be the hardest part. Accommodation, what to see etc just ask on here.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

Gullivers Travel know what they are doing, which is why they haven't put packages on sale yet. Same goes for the official lionstour.com website.

Be wary of companies willing to take your money right now would be my suggestion.
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

I'm planning on going and think we're going to go for a tour package, or at least ticket + flight and sort accommodation ourselves, any conversations I've had on the phone seems like that's an option and guarantees the test tickets as well.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Me and the missus are hoping for a 3 week trip. No way in hell I’d be paying organised tour prices for SA but each to their own. Helps she is a saffer and should get us tickets easily enough.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Last time there were too many Lions tourists in the grounds at each Test. This time the majority of tickets will be issued to Bok fans in the Republic.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I'd wait to see when the Tests will be. I think they will definitely happen in 2021 but not convinced they will happen when scheduled.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Sandstorm wrote:Last time there were too many Lions tourists in the grounds at each Test. This time the majority of tickets will be issued to Bok fans in the Republic.
Should be 50/50 IMO.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

I’m thinking of organising a small group myself. How will ticketing work? Can we get them through a reseller?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

terryfinch wrote:I’m thinking of organising a small group myself. How will ticketing work? Can we get them through a reseller?
Yes. Also there will be an allocation to SA and Euro fans, Olympic style. You register and hope. There are a couple of tricks to get you near the top of the list, but I ain’t sharing :P
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I'm not a Lions fan but i visited a mate working in Joburg 2009 and turned the trip into a Lions tour trip as i was already there.

Booked trips, flights all independently. Drove Garden route from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. Went shark diving in Ganzbai. Sky diving near Table Mountain out towards Melkbosstrand.

Went to 2nd test in Loftus and 3rd in Elis Park.

Bought tickets in Fourways in Joburg.

Don't think the intense atmosphere at Loftus will ever be bettered again. I've been to so many games in different sports and that match sticks out for the most intense atmosphere ever at a game.

One thing you will love about the Saffas. They f**king care.

Atmospheres in Australia and New Zealand are dead in comparison.
backrow

Post by backrow »

I would book things yourself , as has been said. I did gullivers for rwc03 and they were fine , but after that the prices they started charging got bonkers. I will probably be there at some stage next year and catch a few games, was on british telly in 09 2nd teSt (I think) and commentator said ‘well at least one lions fan is happy’
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Sandstorm wrote:Last time there were too many Lions tourists in the grounds at each Test. This time the majority of tickets will be issued to Bok fans in the Republic.
And most will be sold on to Lions fans for exorbitant prices...