Japan RWC was a massive success

All things Rugby
Floppykid

Re: Japan RWC was a massive success

Post by Floppykid »

For me the top 3 RWCs were
11 (though Joubert's disgrace spoiled it)
argus

Post by argus »

sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Best RWC so far. Even the typhoon was a pretty exciting factor.

Two nitpicky memories.
1: no alternative for typhoon affected games, although I'm not sure what the could really have done. Be nice to think you could just move the whole gig a few hundred kilometers away and carry on as normal, I'm sure the reasons why it didn't happen are justified.
2: the high tackle drama of pool matches. That kind of madness should have been sorted between cycles so it's all clear and totally sorted heading into the showcase tourney.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Floppykid wrote:For me the top 3 RWCs were
Too young for 1995?
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

2011 was the worst. It was like watching something out of the Soviet Union. Kick off times were a mess too.
New guy

Post by New guy »

2011 was my personal favourite. I was in university so could set my alarm for 4 am, roll out of bed, watch Wales hammer Fiji and then go back to sleep for another 5 hours. Perfect. :thumbup:

Would be a nightmare now mind.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

mr bungle wrote:
Too young for 1995?
I was 4.
Actually swap out 11 for 99.
Just because the final of 11, well, you know.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Floppykid wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Too young for 1995?
I was 4.
Actually swap out 11 for 99.
Just because the final of 11, well, you know.
It was awesome. Sunny, hard tracks. NZ changing the way the game was played. SA getting up and the unity on some levels the game engendered.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Jim Lahey wrote:Yeah England’s demolition job on NZ in the semi was a classic in terms of strategy.
The 12-point gap in the end was incredibly flattering to NZ.

England played the perfect game, except for that botched lineout that gifted the Darkness a consolation try.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Average Joe wrote:Not true until Kiwias agrees.
:lol: My exact thoughts when reading title.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

They missed COVID19 by a few months.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Floppykid wrote:
handyman wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Probably never. We're a joke at world cups, especially Japan. That'll be a permanent embarrassment.

I'm totally neutral in assessing the quality of the rest of it.
Explain the boring winner? South Africa came from nowhere to win it, playing a kicking game through-out, but changing in the final to a more expansive game, scoring 2 great tries.
You guys won, ye did it cynical and blood and guts, winning rugby.
You don't have to be the most flash rugby either.
Try be a little less precious about a tournament SA won.
Cynical, blood and guts rugby in the final? Seems you missed it boet.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Jim Lahey wrote:Yeah England’s demolition job on NZ in the semi was a classic in terms of strategy.
An Eddie Jones masterclass perfectly executed by the players. NZ was lucky to get on the scoreboard.
GotheCanes

Post by GotheCanes »

Best RWC I've attended. Was great to see the Japanese getting so in to it
handyman

Post by handyman »

guy smiley wrote:
handyman wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Probably never. We're a joke at world cups, especially Japan. That'll be a permanent embarrassment.

I'm totally neutral in assessing the quality of the rest of it.
Explain the boring winner? South Africa came from nowhere to win it, playing a kicking game through-out, but changing in the final to a more expansive game, scoring 2 great tries.
Came from nowhere?

:lol: :lol:

Most of us rated them as equal favourites before the tournament.

This is why they’re boring winners... planks like you.
You're having a laugh boet. We were utter shite for years with Coetzee setting records for the wrong reasons.

Equal favorites :lol:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Nieghorn wrote:
I wondered if he'd penned this: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... y-in-japan
It was a remarkable tournament, despite a range of issues that every tournament faces (different ones of course). The participation of the locals was a genuine surprise to pretty much everyone I know but they really did get stuck into it, the performance of their team naturally being a big boost.

To get through a massive typhoon with only three games cancelled was a superb achievement.

After all of that, the article in the Guardian is pretty much spot on. There has been no real boost, though covid-19 can be blamed for some of it but not all of it. The JRFU has lived up to its reputation for being incredibly inefficient.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

handyman wrote:
An Eddie Jones masterclass perfectly executed by the players. NZ was lucky to get on the scoreboard.
There was a period after being utterly dominated where we were within a score or two from the lead. As fans watching we thought that remarkable considering the game England had played and how unworthy it would have been if we’d managed to get up.
SFBB

Post by SFBB »

RWC should only ever be played in near perfect weather conditions, and should be moved to the best time of year depending on where its being hosted.
handyman

Post by handyman »

mr bungle wrote:
handyman wrote:
There was a period after being utterly dominated where we were within a score or two from the lead. As fans watching we thought that remarkable considering the game England had played and how unworthy it would have been if we’d managed to get up.
True. NZ will always be in a game, no matter how much the other team is dominating.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

WR almost wrecked the tournament with a ridiculous initiative to make any contact with the head or neck, no matter how light, accidental or incidental, a red card offense. This policy would have ruined the tournament had common sense no prevailed from the quarter final stages, and WR reverted back to the previously used interpretation.
grievous

Post by grievous »

CrazyIslander wrote:
He said it would never work.
FravBront

Post by FravBront »

I was over there for about 2 and a half weeks, attending 6 games, and had a great time, but it was far from perfect.

A lot of things were done really well but a few moans I would have, ranging in severity.

The cyclone contingency was a f**king joke. their 'robust plan' was just cancelling games.
Fan zones were a shambles. Way too small, and often way too few places to watch the games at. And if you didnt get into these, there was sweet fudge all to do except to try and jam way too many people into tiny bars.
Around matches, bizarre lack of bins and toilets (i know this is how they do it, but you need to predict how fans from all over will behave and it was carnage for a lot of these things)
grievous

Post by grievous »

FravBront wrote:I was over there for about 2 and a half weeks, attending 6 games, and had a great time, but it was far from perfect.

A lot of things were done really well but a few moans I would have, ranging in severity.

The cyclone contingency was a f**king joke. their 'robust plan' was just cancelling games.
Fan zones were a shambles. Way too small, and often way too few places to watch the games at. And if you didnt get into these, there was sweet fudge all to do except to try and jam way too many people into tiny bars.
Around matches, bizarre lack of bins and toilets (i know this is how they do it, but you need to predict how fans from all over will behave and it was carnage for a lot of these things)
A mate said the same around their misunderstanding about western drinking culture, not that they dont drink, just differently ...or as much.
Hey the French had dry stadiums on 2007, they had better change that for the next one.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

grievous wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
No, I did not. I said it would be well organized and efficiently run, because that is what japan does. I did not expect the general public to get behind the tournament to the extent they did. I also argued that it would not generate any meaningful or long-lasting benefits for the sport here, given the utter incompetence of the JRFU.
Last edited by Kiwias on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

£2 million pledged for the Childfund Pass It Back programme, a partnership between Childfund, World Rugby, Asia Rugby and the JRFU
2.25 million people introduced to rugby in Asia via the Impact Beyond programme (769,000 children involved in tag rugby in elementary schools in Japan)
Significant infrastructure legacy for rugby and community sport, including the Kamaishi Recovery Memorial Stadium
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Average Joe wrote:
£2 million pledged for the Childfund Pass It Back programme, a partnership between Childfund, World Rugby, Asia Rugby and the JRFU
2.25 million people introduced to rugby in Asia via the Impact Beyond programme (769,000 children involved in tag rugby in elementary schools in Japan)
Significant infrastructure legacy for rugby and community sport, including the Kamaishi Recovery Memorial Stadium
They are unable to provide any credible source for the 769,000 children and offer no explanation for the lack of any path for any kids who wish to continue playing rugby. What we see is a bunch of kids playing tag rugby at primary school but almost none of them carrying on with it at junior high or high school. Naturally almost all of school rugby is played on harsh compacted gravelly sand.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

They just need a few more Kiwias shouting "Get of my lawn" and they'll be right as fok with some pitches.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Kiwias wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
They are unable to provide any credible source for the 769,000 children and offer no explanation for the lack of any path for any kids who wish to continue playing rugby. What we see is a bunch of kids playing tag rugby at primary school but almost none of them carrying on with it at junior high or high school. Naturally almost all of school rugby is played on harsh compacted gravelly sand.

Whenever I see those intro kids to rugby initiatives, they always seem to involve a lot of standing in lines waiting to have a go at exciting things like running 10m and passing sideways to one other kid before getting back in line for 2 mins.

First drill I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QirCpVBNozE
grievous

Post by grievous »

Kiwias wrote:
grievous wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
No, I did not. I said it would be well organized and efficiently run, because that is what japan does. I did not expect the general public to get behind the tournament to the extent they did. I also argued that it would not generate any meaningful or long-lasting benefits for the sport here, given the utterly incompetence of the JRFU.
So nothing good has come out of it as a legacy?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

2011 was without a doubt the worst RWC. Blighted by refereeing errors, with some games played in stadiums barely fit for schoolboy rugby. It was sort of excusable in 1987, in 2011 it was a crime against rugby.
henry

Post by henry »

Lemoentjie wrote:2011 was without a doubt the worst RWC. Blighted by refereeing errors, with some games played in stadiums barely fit for schoolboy rugby. It was sort of excusable in 1987, in 2011 it was a crime against rugby.
Don’t forget about the jokeshop refereeing.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Floppykid wrote:Kolbe scored a try.
Epic stuff.
South Africa's first try in a final IIRC.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Average Joe wrote:They just need a few more Kiwias shouting "Get of my lawn" and they'll be right as fok with some pitches.
I'd be shouting "Get on the grass!!!" (any one of the 3,600 grass playfields my NPO has installed nationwide)
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

grievous wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
grievous wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
No, I did not. I said it would be well organized and efficiently run, because that is what japan does. I did not expect the general public to get behind the tournament to the extent they did. I also argued that it would not generate any meaningful or long-lasting benefits for the sport here, given the utterly incompetence of the JRFU.
So nothing good has come out of it as a legacy?
Nothing specific yet.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Kiwias wrote:
Average Joe wrote:They just need a few more Kiwias shouting "Get of my lawn" and they'll be right as fok with some pitches.
I'd be shouting "Get on the grass!!!" (any one of the 3,600 grass playfields my NPO has installed nationwide)
I'm just giving you some shit. You do good work there boet, keep at it.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Average Joe wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
I'm just giving you some shit. You do good work there boet, keep at it.
:thumbup:
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Epic stuff.
I was so entertained that try.
Made up for all the by the numbers, meat grinder rugby.
Epic.
Killface

Post by Killface »

Uncle Fester wrote:
Epic stuff.
Well, besides this one, 7 minutes earlier:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiSJhXud7A

I’m starting to think the Irish may not have watched the knockout stages.
Can’t imagine why. :roll:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Him not sending the gouger off was pretty disgraceful but the game was won anyway so we can't be too hard on Joubert.
Last edited by UncleFB on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

The way Jamie Joseph got Japan playing was phenomenal.