All things Rugby
shanky

Re: Your favourite food

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote:
shanky wrote:
bimboman wrote:
shanky wrote:The love affair with Michelin amuses me

It’s as if French cuisine, with the odd token asian joint in cynically chosen ‘key’ markets, entitles chefs to speak for the whole world.

Eh? Spain, Italy, UK. japan, etc.

What is also highly unlikely is eating a bad meal in a starred or listed restaurant.

Michelin has moved quite some way from “French” only foods.
I don’t agree.

Furthermore, I’d argue that the British are obsessed with getting a thumbs-up from France, when in reality, you shouldn’t.

So the Michelin listed and starred restaurants I’ve eaten in in Spain (best in world) or Italy (bit more hit and miss). Don’t actually exist ?

And it isn’t about thumbs up, it’s more that French classic technique saved “British cooking” ......

Anyway you stick with your “Hats” and we will be happy.
What about Italian technique?

That certainly saved British TV chefs.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote:
SaintK wrote:

It’s as if French cuisine, with the odd token asian joint in cynically chosen ‘key’ markets, entitles chefs to speak for the whole world.
I'm sure James Lowe was speaking for himself. The quote comes from an article about improving the flavour of meat by ageing it. It was written before he got a star
Sure. I believe that

I can also believe that he’s right and sole needs resting/aging.

I was talking about the notion that because Michelin has given you a star, then you’re the last word in all things cuisine

To my knowledge, there is not a single Michelin rated restaurant in Australia. Why?

Because Michelin doesn’t publish an Australian guide. This isn’t difficult Rumpole.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Jamie. :lol:
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote:
shanky wrote:
SaintK wrote:

I'm sure James Lowe was speaking for himself. The quote comes from an article about improving the flavour of meat by ageing it. It was written before he got a star
Sure. I believe that

I was talking about the notion that because Michelin has given you a star, then you’re the last word in all things cuisine

To my knowledge, there is not a single Michelin rated restaurant in Australia. Why?

Because Michelin doesn’t publish an Australian guide. This isn’t difficult Rumpole.
That’s exactly my point Judge Bullingham.
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote:

You don’t like Jamie?

WTF! Everyone loves Jamie.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote:
bimboman wrote:

You don’t like Jamie?

He’s a fat tongued twat.

I’ve not liked a Tv chef in the Uk for years now. Soft spot remains for Rich Stein and that’s about it.
shanky

Post by shanky »

:lol:

:thumbup:

As an aside, Rick Stein has not one, but two, restaurants here, down the coast in sleepy town.

Come on over, we’ll go sometime ;)
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote::lol:

As an aside, Rick Stein has not one, but two, restaurants here, down the coast in sleepy town.

:thumbup: , I’ve been a few times to his flagship in Padstow he’s an excellent restaurateur...... another thing Oliver isn’t.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mollymook. Look it up.

I’ll buy.

8)
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

SaintK wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
slick wrote:
Bokkom wrote:Freshly caught fish on the grill with a dash of butter, olive oil and lemon.
A fish person was telling me the other day that fish needs to be aged for 2-3 days to get the best out of it. I also call bollocks, but there you go
I am a man of decidedly few talents.
But I know a bit about fish.
Total bollocks...the fresher, the better.
Not according to Michelin Starred chef James Lowe.........and a lot of others!
We're aging fish at Lyle's, too. The idea came through reading Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking, and it's also a thing old British boys used to go in for at old fish restaurants like Sweetings, which is Fergus Henderson's favorite restaurant. A lot of flat and bottom-feeding fish age fantastically well, so turbot, plaice, and the soles. You get the same breakdown of cells and amino acids and end up with stronger, more complex flavor compounds.

There's a common misconception with fish that it should be eaten straight from the sea. I'm aging Dover sole for up to seven days and we buy with that in mind, working five days ahead. The number of times you hear people saying, "the fish was as fresh as sushi" is crazy, because really, the tuna loin they've eaten is probably about three weeks old. With Dover sole, if you cook it fresh, it's tough and springy. If you speak to the fishermen they'll tell you that you have to age it—it's not the sort of fish you want to cook fresh.
We don't just wing these things, though; the fish has to be carefully cleaned. You have to get rid of the roe and the guts because they don't last. We leave the fish flat and dry in a fridge set at one or two degrees. Some of my chefs were dubious about this at first, but, after aging it for five days, I put a sole in the oven and got them to taste it. They all asked what I had seasoned it with, because it tasted more savory and intense, but of course I hadn't seasoned it with anything—it was completely naked when it went in the oven.
I sincerely apologise. That probably should have been a qualified statement.
However, apart from those flat fish crawling in the mud (of which I have no experience), there cannot be many more species for which this is true.
Edit: Maybe "savoury and intense" means it had a bit of a whiff, otherwise the meat is tasteless. :twisted:
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

shanky wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Sure. I believe that

Possibly with some chefs. Though most chefs would say it helps put bums on seats and turns tables. Must be like a drug to some, once you've had one you want more!!
As for Australia, that's just weird I've eaten the equivalent to 2* Michelin food in several restaurants in Sydney
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shanky wrote:Mollymook. Look it up.

I’ll buy.

8)

I’ll take you up on that in 2025 when this corona thing is over.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

bimboman wrote:

:thumbup: , I’ve been a few times to his flagship in Padstow he’s an excellent restaurateur...... another thing Oliver isn’t.
Certainly not the "best" restaurant in Padstow any more. Paul Ainsworth has nicked that accolade
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Certainly not the "best" restaurant in Padstow any more. Paul Ainsworth has nicked that accolade

Steins was never “fine dining” though you’ll just have a bloody excellent time. Aims worth’s looks good. Wasn’t he trained at Steins or is that Outlaw I’m thinking of?
shanky

Post by shanky »

SaintK wrote:
shanky wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Sure. I believe that

Possibly with some chefs. Though most chefs would say it helps put bums on seats and turns tables. Must be like a drug to some, once you've had one you want more!!
As for Australia, that's just weird I've eaten the equivalent to 2* Michelin food in several restaurants in Sydney
Fair comment. :thumbup:

Where did you eat in Sydney? (Out of interest)
shanky

Post by shanky »

bimboman wrote:
shanky wrote:Mollymook. Look it up.

I’ll buy.

8)

I’ll take you up on that in 2025 when this corona thing is over.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Oddly enough, and while we’re on fish

One of my favourite dishes is Baja style fish tacos.

With mexican street corn.

Love ‘em. And you can do then easily at home as well

This is an amazing dish. Simple but good. A battered cod style fish works really well.

Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

shanky wrote:Oddly enough, and while we’re on fish

This is an amazing dish. Simple but good. A battered cod style fish works really well.

Fish tacos are ace.
slick

Post by slick »

bimboman wrote:
shanky wrote:
bimboman wrote:

You don’t like Jamie?

He’s a fat tongued twat.

I’ve not liked a Tv chef in the Uk for years now. Soft spot remains for Rich Stein and that’s about it.
Hey! Leave off Jamie, he’s one of my hero’s
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

I am too uneducated to appreciate all that fine cuisine.

What I really crave is Karoo lamb chops braaied.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

shanky wrote:
Zico wrote:Anyone tried Durian?
Yes. An acquired taste, to say the least. :)
Tried it when on holiday in Borneo. It was ok, nowhere near as offensive as it’s made out to be. There were signs in some of the hotels we stayed in saying durian was not allowed on the premises.
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

mikeyboy123 wrote:
shanky wrote:
Tried it when on holiday in Borneo. It was ok, nowhere near as offensive as it’s made out to be. There were signs in some of the hotels we stayed in saying durian was not allowed on the premises.
A Bavarian post office was evacuated and six workers were taken to hospital after the overwhelming odour of a durian fruit caused panic.

Police and firefighters rushed to the post office in Schweinfurt, Germany, over fears that a parcel was releasing a dangerous gas.

They evacuated 60 people from the building – only to discover the source of the smell was a package of four Thai durian fruits, sent to a 50-year old resident by his friend in Nuremberg.

Twelve postal workers received treatment for nausea, and six were taken to hospital as a precaution, according to German broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/b ... 77356.html
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

No idea what my favourite food is. If we are talking about cuisine, then it’s probably South Indian for me. I realise that still spans a huge area and variety, but that’s as far as I can narrow it down.

Cheese is great though, fave is probably Roquefort, but I like any cheese really. However, I did once have some cheese at the Hawksmoor which was absolutely disgusting. I have never eaten dogshit but I’d imagine it would have a similar flavour. Can’t recall what type of cheese it was.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

Lobby wrote:
mikeyboy123 wrote:
shanky wrote:
A Bavarian post office was evacuated and six workers were taken to hospital after the overwhelming odour of a durian fruit caused panic.

Police and firefighters rushed to the post office in Schweinfurt, Germany, over fears that a parcel was releasing a dangerous gas.

They evacuated 60 people from the building – only to discover the source of the smell was a package of four Thai durian fruits, sent to a 50-year old resident by his friend in Nuremberg.

Twelve postal workers received treatment for nausea, and six were taken to hospital as a precaution, according to German broadcaster Bayerischer Rundfunk.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/b ... 77356.html

Lol. We had it at a stall on the side of the road when we stopped for quick break on the way to somewhere or other. The vendor cut it open for us and we all tried a bit. It was fine. It does have a weird taste with a hint of onions and burnt rubber, but other than that it was okay. I can imagine it would be very smelly if rotting away in a confined space, but then so can a banana. There was a disgusting smell in my office one day and we eventually found it to be a banana rotting away in someone’s desk. It literally stank of terrible shit.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Roasted Bat :thumbup: goes well with a glass of Shiraz
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

shanky wrote:Oddly enough, and while we’re on fish

Just had exactly that!!
piquant

Post by piquant »

SaintK wrote:
bimboman wrote:

My favourite TV chef is probably Floyd, loved his food, booze, women and rugby, but a bit of a shit as a person and a much worse restaurateur
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I can’t let go that someone thinks Floyd was a shit person. He wasn’t , he was a gentleman and as honest a man you’d meet. Disgraceful comment.
piquant

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:I can’t let go that someone thinks Floyd was a shit person. He wasn’t , he was a gentleman and as honest a man you’d meet. Disgraceful comment.

Bar the constant lying to people, failing to honour commitments, losing his wives for some less than exemplary behaviour, not being there for his children, and as per the standard someone noted above being a shit restaurateur.

Now he didn't set out not to be a reliable sort, and he had many redeeming qualities that (when in a good mood) made him excellent company. But there's a difference between being excellent company and an excellent person
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

bimboman wrote:I can’t let go that someone thinks Floyd was a shit person. He wasn’t , he was a gentleman and as honest a man you’d meet. Disgraceful comment.
Alright Globus?
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Ali's Choice wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:taro and palusami. The palusami needs to be a nice batch though, nice and creamy.
Drop some pork pieces in there.
That's just f**king gross. Philistine.
It's the food of the (admittedly fat) God's.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

flaggETERNAL wrote:It's the food of the (admittedly fat) God's.
Samoans wouldn't dream of putting any meat into our palusami. That's like putting banana in a hamburger.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Samoans wouldn't dream of putting any meat into our palusami. That's like putting banana in a hamburger.
Really? We have meat.
Zico

Post by Zico »

mikeyboy123 wrote:
shanky wrote:
It's like vegemite/marmite. I'm not a fan but some people love it. Stinks like hell, banned from my house. I prefer Jackfruit, Rambutan or Lychee.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Really? We have meat.
I know. You also eat horses.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Really? We have meat.
I know. You also eat horses.
I love horse meat, in coconut cream and curried. With taro.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

CrazyIslander wrote:I love horse meat, in coconut cream and curried. With taro.
Legit, that's the most Tongan post ever made on this forum :lol:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Pasta... it's all good.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:I love horse meat, in coconut cream and curried. With taro.
Legit, that's the most Tongan post ever made on this forum :lol:
French eat horse too. No big deal.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Macaroni cheese.