Sharks 2019 Super rugby thread

All things Rugby
Sards

Sharks 2019 Super rugby thread

Post by Sards »

assfly

Re: Sharks 2019 Super rugby thread

Post by assfly »

Couldn't ask for a better start to preparations than wining the Currie Cup.

With so many key players being ignored by Rassie, hopefully they'll be fully rested and have a productive pre-season.

I'd be happy to keep Ruan Botha as captain.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:Couldn't ask for a better start to preparations than wining the Currie Cup.

With so many key players being ignored by Rassie, hopefully they'll be fully rested and have a productive pre-season.

He was an outstanding captain....and a bruising hulk of a man....

With you there
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Currie Cup winners' SR performance the next year:

2010 Sharks 5th - Made the final
2011 Golden Lions 15th
2012 Western Province 7th
2013 Sharks 3rd
2014 Western Province 7th
2015 Golden Lions 2nd
2016 Free State Cheetahs 13th
2017 Western Province 11th
2018 Sharks ?
assfly

Post by assfly »

Ugh thanks Jensrsa x(

It's a strange pattern. Similar to the curse of hosting the final.
sunnybanana

Post by sunnybanana »

Sards wrote:
assfly wrote:Couldn't ask for a better start to preparations than wining the Currie Cup.

With you there
Needs to regain form though. He had a sub-standard 2018 but is a genuine test level player at his best.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:Ugh thanks Jensrsa x(

It's a strange pattern. Similar to the curse of hosting the final.
Sharks dont seem to have that problem if you look at our results....but we are always there or there abouts....contesting playoffs
Troll

Post by Troll »

More positive at this stage than last season, but ain't saying much.

Doubt we'll be competing with the kiwi teams at the book end of the season, realistic goal I think is topping the SA conference, and none of these dumb thrashings by the Rebels, and that draw at home against the Waratahs? and loss away against the Brumbies were games we really should have taken to be up there.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Troll wrote:More positive at this stage than last season, but ain't saying much.

Doubt we'll be competing with the kiwi teams at the book end of the season, realistic goal I think is topping the SA conference, and none of these dumb thrashings by the Rebels, and that draw at home against the Waratahs? and loss away against the Brumbies were games we really should have taken to be up there.
We were very inconsistent last year........that needs to improve....playing each game like its a final .
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

sunnybanana wrote:
Sards wrote:

With you there
Needs to regain form though. He had a sub-standard 2018 but is a genuine test level player , once he joins the Stomps, at his best.
Fixed
Sards

Post by Sards »

Chilli wrote:
sunnybanana wrote:
Sards wrote:

With you there
Needs to regain form though. He had a sub-standard 2018 but is a genuine test level player , once he joins the Stomps, at his best.
Fixed
:lol:
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Sharks will improve. A better Bok team, quite a few Bok contenders, Senior coming to age as a coach - and a CC win. Together with a few 2018 NZ scalps will instill self-belief.
Sards

Post by Sards »

David Williams has joined the Sharks coaching staff and will be responsible for their attack during the 2019 Super Rugby campaign.

Williams has a good coaching track record, having coached at Kobe Steelers, London Irish and Bath abroad. Locally Williams has had stints with the Southern Kings and was their attack coach during the 2016 Super Rugby season.

Most recently he was part of the Cheetahs’ Pro14 coaching team. Du Preez will also be assisted by Ricardo Loubscher (backline), Jaco Pienaar (forwards) and Braam van Straaten (defence), while Dick Muir, who assisted the team in 2018, has departed.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Listened to Ricardo on the radio, the other day. He is backing Rassie and the Springbok gsme plan, box kicks included, in a big way.
Intreresting.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

I'd like to commend my fellow Stormers supporters. 14 posts on this thread and not one trolling post about our SA rugby partners from any WP fans. Showing class, yet again. Well done Stomps. :thumbup:

I would like to make a request to the OP though...to avoid false advertisement, can you replace the trophy picture in the OP please? I sends an inaccurate message since this is a SR thread. Thanks in advance.
Sards

Post by Sards »

For the Stomps stinking up the Sharks threads with their piss smelling stadium breath.....There is always next year buds.... :thumbup:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

The Protectors of Fortress Loftus and Vanquishers of Kings Park will watch over you.
Sards

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:The Protectors of Fortress Loftus and Vanquishers of Kings Park will watch over you.
But apparantley Stormers are better than the Bulls who are the wooden spooners
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Sards wrote:
sorCrer wrote:The Protectors of Fortress Loftus and Vanquishers of Kings Park will watch over you.
Poor trolling effort. I simply stated a fact to prove you wrong when you said Stormers came last...they didn't.

I fully expect the Bulls to be very good and better than the Stormers this year. My second team. :thumbup:
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:
Poor trolling effort. I simply stated a fact to prove you wrong when you said Stormers came last...they didn't.

I fully expect the Bulls to be very good and better than the Stormers this year. My second team. :thumbup:
Been several years since the Bulls lost to the Sharks in Soup. 7 games now? :lol:
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

sorCrer wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

Been several years since the Bulls lost to the Sharks in Soup. 7 games now? :lol:
If the Bulls players can remain healthy they'll be a force imo. Hopefully Papier is first choice.
9. Papier
10. Pollard
11. Ismael
12. Odendaal
13. Kriel
14. Ulengo
15. Gelant

Adding Duane and Britz as well. :thumbup:
Sards

Post by Sards »

sorCrer wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

Our weak point....Sharks always underestimate the Bulls....Now that the Lions are falling apart I expect the Bulls to be our chief nemisis and competition for the local conference in 2019.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Away jersey

Home Jersey

Sards

Post by Sards »

awful
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Sards wrote:awful
Agree. Home jersey looks like a Hawaiian shirt

And what's with the Sharks and the fake Abs on their jerseys? Been doing that for a few years now
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Akker van der Merwe says he is happy to keep rotating at the Sharks, but does not want to be typecast as a super-sub. DYLAN JACK reports.

The 27-year-old has been nominated for the Best off the Bench award in the BrightRock Players Choice Awards. He faces competition from Lions flank Marnus Schoeman, Springbok prop Steven Kitshoff and Blitzbok forward Zain Davids.

The players, under the banner of the South African rugby players organisation MyPlayers, created the awards in 2017. Except for the Fans’ Choice category, players vote for the winners in all categories. The winners will be announced next Tuesday at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg.

Van der Merwe has seen plenty more action in the starting lineup since joining the Sharks from the Lions, where in 2017 he predominantly provided cover to Malcolm Marx. The hooker made a total of 11 starts out of the 17 matches that the Sharks played in the 2018 Super Rugby season, coming off the bench on four occasions.

He was, however, rotated a lot more with captain Chiliboy Ralepelle during the successful Currie Cup season, making three starts and three appearances as a substitute.

Van der Merwe tells SARugbymag.co.za that while he is wary of being stereotyped as someone who can only play off the bench, he is always willing to put the team first.

‘The award was a bit of a surprise because I feel that I have had a lot more starts this year than coming off the bench, ‘ Van der Merwe said. ‘I wouldn’t say that I like the word “super-sub” a lot because at the Lions I was used off the bench a lot. I hate the word, to be perfectly honest.

‘Obviously, you want to start every game,’ Van der Merwe added. ‘But at the end of the day, it is not about you, it is about the team and whatever is best for the team. Chili is an amazing leader and someone this young team needed a lot.

‘He was a big factor in our Currie Cup win and was important in the final. He has a wealth of experience, so that made it a bit easier for me to sit on the bench. I just think at the end of the day, it is not about me or him, it is about what the team needs most.

‘Corné Fourie and I were the impact players at the Lions most of the time, and we always said that whether we get five or 50 minutes to play, we need to give our everything because there are millions of people out there who would give everything just to be in the squad, let alone play a match.

‘I don’t want to have any regrets. I just want to express myself and enjoy my rugby.’
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/i-just-wan ... ss-myself/
assfly

Post by assfly »

Home, nice.

Away, shit.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

They'll go well with the next stupid song the team does.
Sards

Post by Sards »

saffer13 wrote:They'll go well with the next stupid song the team does.
Jealous much
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Sards wrote:
Jealous much
Of those songs? :lol: :blush:
Sards

Post by Sards »

saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:
Jealous much
Of those songs? :lol: :blush:
Are you still beating that drum......... x(
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Warm-up match

3 February 2019 @ 14:00 SAST
Lions v Sharks - Cape Town Stadium
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Wakanda foreverer!!!
assfly

Post by assfly »

Jensrsa wrote:Warm-up match

3 February 2019 @ 14:00 SAST
Lions v Sharks - Cape Town Stadium
Interesting venue!
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Fassi will be great to watch in SR. Better than Dyanti in my opinion. Does the same stuff but faster.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Lemoentjie wrote:Fassi will be great to watch in SR. Better than Dyanti in my opinion. Does the same stuff but faster.
Will be interesting to see if and how Fassi steps up to the next level.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Jensrsa wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Fassi will be great to watch in SR. Better than Dyanti in my opinion. Does the same stuff but faster.
Will be interesting to see if and how Fassi steps up to the next level.
Ja. Exciting talent but let's talk in a few months after he's faced a few kiwi monsters running down his channel.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

You really don't like Dyanti do you :lol:
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

saffer13 wrote:
Where was he on the November Tour?
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Lemoentjie wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Where was he on the November Tour?
Right...so after a fantastic year up until that point, you discard a guy for having an off tour at the end of the season. And then you want to tout Combrink to replace him after he has hardly played rugby in 2 years...Got it.