rys, vleis en pille
Catman

Re: What are they feeding the kids in South Africa? (Vid

Post by Catman »

Nice to see so many POC's in that ! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Catman

Post by Catman »

I played 2nd XV rugby in 1987 and weighed 78kg (Fullback). These kids are all monsters now.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Well it's certainly not steroids, I think we can all agree on that.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Craven Week was suppose to started on monday. :(
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

When I was in matric we had the two biggest locks around, both at 6'3" and weighing about 200lb. None of the teams Queens played against, including Dale, Selborne, Grey PE, KES etc. had any pair close to it. It was 1961 by the way.
shanky

Post by shanky »

There's literally no connection between those beautiful, athletic boys and the 40-year old obsession with 'size' in SA rugby

None
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Pal of mine - parent at a Southern Suburb school - asked some Boland Landbou fathers at a game, howcome there boys are so big.

Answer: "Well - to start - we don't marry Barbies"
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Monk Zombie wrote:Pal of mine - parent at a Southern Suburb school - asked some Boland Landbou fathers at a game, howcome there boys are so big.

Answer: "Well - to start - we don't marry Barbies"
:lol: :lol:
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

I wish my grandson was interested in rugby, he is only 13 and he is 6`4 ins. :( :( :(
bok_viking

Post by bok_viking »

Even in my days before professional rugby, we had some big units in our school playing. Our school was the smallest school in our district, competing against guys like Middelburg High, Middelburg tech, etc. but we only had about 380 kids in school of which 2/3 were girls. Most of them were a bunch of maize and cattle farmer boys. Even though we could not realistically expect to beat those big schools time in and time out, they could always expect to get a very tough and hard game against us and feel it for days afterwards. Even in those days our school had a fully equipped gym and we all had gym programs to follow. Even then when you played rugby you wanted to make sure the other team know they played you, come win/lose. And unfortunately if we played against an english school, the aggression was even worse. Used to feel sorry for english schools, as there were not many of them in each district, so they really had a hard time, specially on the highveld.

But it does seem like SA has quite an in depth and comprehensive drug testing program in school rugby compared to many other countries, so quite a few kids do get caught, specially at Craven Week. I am glad they do pay a lot of attention to it.
handyman

Post by handyman »

bok_viking wrote:Even in my days before professional rugby, we had some big units in our school playing. Our school was the smallest school in our district, competing against guys like Middelburg High, Middelburg tech, etc. but we only had about 380 kids in school of which 2/3 were girls. Most of them were a bunch of maize and cattle farmer boys. Even though we could not realistically expect to beat those big schools time in and time out, they could always expect to get a very tough and hard game against us and feel it for days afterwards. Even in those days our school had a fully equipped gym and we all had gym programs to follow. Even then when you played rugby you wanted to make sure the other team know they played you, come win/lose. And unfortunately if we played against an english school, the aggression was even worse. Used to feel sorry for english schools, as there were not many of them in each district, so they really had a hard time, specially on the highveld.

But it does seem like SA has quite an in depth and comprehensive drug testing program in school rugby compared to many other countries, so quite a few kids do get caught, specially at Craven Week. I am glad they do pay a lot of attention to it.
Agree re the english kids :lol: It's good for SA Rugby as they learn to become almost as hard and tough as the Afrikaans players.
Pole

Post by Pole »

handyman wrote:
bok_viking wrote:Even in my days before professional rugby, we had some big units in our school playing. Our school was the smallest school in our district, competing against guys like Middelburg High, Middelburg tech, etc. but we only had about 380 kids in school of which 2/3 were girls. Most of them were a bunch of maize and cattle farmer boys. Even though we could not realistically expect to beat those big schools time in and time out, they could always expect to get a very tough and hard game against us and feel it for days afterwards. Even in those days our school had a fully equipped gym and we all had gym programs to follow. Even then when you played rugby you wanted to make sure the other team know they played you, come win/lose. And unfortunately if we played against an english school, the aggression was even worse. Used to feel sorry for english schools, as there were not many of them in each district, so they really had a hard time, specially on the highveld.

Agree re the english kids :lol: It's good for SA Rugby as they learn to become almost as hard and tough as the Afrikaans players.
Jirre, as a soutie I hated having to play against those rural Boere schools, the city Afrikaans schools where manageable but going out to the middle of nowhere to play on a field which was the equivalent of a PicknPay parking lot was kak.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

The more I see Saffer kids being taught to run into each other......The more confident I feel about the Bok / AB games of the future :P
handyman

Post by handyman »

Pole wrote:
handyman wrote:

Jirre, as a soutie I hated having to play against those rural Boere schools, the city Afrikaans schools where manageable but going out to the middle of nowhere to play on a field which was the equivalent of a PicknPay parking lot was kak.
Growing up we sometimes played against the local school for deafs. Unbelievably hard and dirty players.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

:lol: @ the little blonde first receiver at 22 seconds. Honest question, did he die?
akann

Post by akann »

Some of the coloured and black kids look scary good. Unbelievable talent coming through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8GY6x1dchQ
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Pole wrote:
handyman wrote:

In the Border region the Afrikaans schools played poor rugby. Our second or third teams would have no trouble with the local Afrikaans school, Hangklip. That might have been, of course, that in those days many Afrikaners sent their kids to Queens as the standards were higher at that time.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Punter15 wrote:Well it's certainly not steroids, I think we can all agree on that.
:lol:

Cut it out man.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

GWO2 wrote:I wish my grandson was interested in rugby, he is only 13 and he is 6`4 ins. :( :( :(
:o
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

akann wrote:Some of the coloured and black kids look scary good. Unbelievable talent coming through.

Well that's better......and now I'm not quite as confident :|
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Even at an early age, they're feeding them lots of Chili, boy.
akann

Post by akann »

Magpie26 wrote:
akann wrote:Some of the coloured and black kids look scary good. Unbelievable talent coming through.

Same here :( . Never rated SA backplay before but you can see them becoming a complete team based on the mad talent coming through.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Demilich wrote:Even at an early age, they're feeding them lots of Chili, boy.

Even if no-one else saw it, I just want to let you know it didn't go unnoticed.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Enjoyed the chopsy #10 get smashed.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

akann wrote:
Magpie26 wrote:

Same here :( . Never rated SA backplay before but you can see them becoming a complete team based on the mad talent coming through.
Talent has always been there but it gets dumbed down once they leave school
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

well they are the biggest strongest fastest

imagine a 1st xv made of usain bolts
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Aphelele Fassi very prominent in those clips. :thumbup: :thumbup:
handyman

Post by handyman »

The massive 7? Jean-Luc du Preez?
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

handyman wrote:The massive 7? Jean-Luc du Preez?
Yes it looked like him. Kearsney jersey too.

Did anyone see Damian Willemse's step in the 2nd vid (at about 2:30)? I have to agree with one of the youtube comments, saying that the oke was sent to an alternate dimension 🤣🤣🤣
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Peaches wrote:

well they are the biggest strongest fastest

imagine a 1st xv made of usain bolts
Would make a handy 15 x 100m relay team for sure.
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

We've yet to see the full effects of the large wave of african immigration on our sporting talent pool. There are some huge congolese and nigerian heritage kids starting to hit high school. Cape Town has a huge community of them who have naturalized and their children starting to get picked up by the good sporting schools. We're going to start getting poaching accusations, but similarly to NZ these will be South African born babies with foreign born parents. There has already been an incident where a Paarl school poached a Congolese heritage kid from Wynberg Boys.