NFL - Washington name change

All things Rugby
Mullet 2

Re: NFL - Washington name change

Post by Mullet 2 »

Good thing they axed the New Zealand Maori.

World is a better place for all this.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Biffer29 wrote:RedWings and Redtails are the two names I've seen doing the rounds.
Redwings is a hockey franchise I think.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Mullet 2 wrote:Good thing they axed the New Zealand Maori.

You’ve reached another level of stupid...
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

In my experience people who say "you've reached another level..." are always top notch debaters and thought formers.

Throw in a gammon and a few boomer lines.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Have they? I am genuinely surprised by this news.

I am equally surprised that the word Maori is a derogatory term for the indeginous people of those islands.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Mog The Almighty wrote:No, I just dont think its anything that should genuinely or rightfully offend anyone.
I think one of the issues is that Indigenous people are trying to move forward from the period in which dodgy land deals relegated them to Reservations, many had their kids forced into residential schools where they were made to be more 'white', abused, and even killed, and - here, at least - a slow process of reconciliation has begun.

And I think many see it tough to reestablish pride when a bunch of white people who don't care / don't know about these issues, essentially, mock their culture with tomahawk chopping, chanting a song that I think comes from one of those old west films where white guys in brown face played 'redskins', and misappropriate cultural regalia as costumes.

In talking to a friend here about Exeter Chiefs digging their heels / not even addressing the small group of people challenging them, I wondered why people feel they can do this with Indigenous North Americans and not others? There's clearly a "noble savage" element to saying "we respect the historical image" (though you are branding an entire culture as warriors), but the British had several groups they attributed this to. Would a British sports team be able to do that with Gurkhas, Sikhs, or Zulu? (I've always felt Saracens was an odd name for a club...)

Years ago, I recall Native American protesters dressed up in comical priest, rabbi, etc costumes. People did not like, but also seemingly didn't make the connection with mocking a sacred position/image.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Mog The Almighty wrote:No, I just dont think its anything that should genuinely or rightfully offend anyone.
Telling people when they should be offended is never a good look. Particularly so when it's to do with racial stereotypes.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dumb post. The term 'Maori' is not insulting to Maori people. It's a term of pride.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Racist to axe them so good on the name change.

But then the side is the definition of racist so it's a tough one.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
mr bungle wrote:They’re called Redskins. Whether you agree or not at that being offensive, that’s what the main focus is. The Indian imagery obviously goes hand in hand, but there’s more focus on the Washington Redskins than Cleveland Indians.
... and so what?

Okay, I can see that might be a bit on the nose in the context of today's uber-sensitive political landscape but it really shouldn't be. Besides, from the look of those images and the guy with the "Caucasian" T-shirt, they seem way more upset about being used as a mascot than the actual name.
And so what?
Redskin is a slang term for Native Americans in the United States and First Nations in Canada. The term "redskin" underwent pejoration through the 19th to early 20th centuries[1] and in contemporary dictionaries of American English it is labeled "usually offensive",[2] "disparaging",[3][4] "insulting",[5] or "taboo".[6]
I’m all for rallying against the hyper sensitivity becoming more prevalent in today’s society, but I won’t get in behind defending this one. It’s a shitty name, and should go.
Yes, you're right. I agree the name is too much. I didn't realise it had a history of being a racial slur. I'd only heard it in relation to that team and the red lolly sticks I used to buy at the servo when I was a kid.

The point I was making is just that it's a bit silly the people find these things offensive. A story I often tell about Wendell Sailor being called a "black c-unt" by someone in the stands and when asked about how insulting it was, responding with, "well, it was insulting to be called a c-unt anyway".

Obviously you wouldn't call any team, "The NSW Blacks/Negros" or whatever, so understandably the same should apply to Washington. I'm just saying in an ideal world these things should just not be considered insulting. They should be met with a shrug of the shoulders and a, "yeah, and ... so what?".

In the world that we live in, I do agree that the name "Redskins" is just pushing what is socially acceptable (for better or worse) too much and should be replaced. The Indian Chief mascot I have no problem with though and I think if anyone else does, they're just pretending.
Yeah, when people call you a ching-chong or slant eyed cnut, you should just say, yes I am, so what. Or just get upset about the cnut part.

What fuken world do you live in? You think racial slurs are ok.
msp.

Post by msp. »

But New Zealand Maori, is a team on Native New Zealanders, It is like what London Irish, London Scottish or even Reading West Indies. They are teams from a "group" (either nationality or ethnic) who have banded together to form a team and named it after themselves, (even in the case of London Irish that has now moved on).

I am not sure that Washington Redskins was setup by a group of native amaricans to represent themselves. (even if the logo was designed by a native american).
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

paddyor wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:RedWings and Redtails are the two names I've seen doing the rounds.
Yep, one of the original 6 - Detroit.
msp.

Post by msp. »

LandOTurk wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Was not Red Tails the name of the African American air force squadron during WWII, - a bit of a minefield I would of thought,,
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

msp. wrote:But New Zealand Maori, is a team on Native New Zealanders, It is like what London Irish, London Scottish or even Reading West Indies. They are teams from a "group" (either nationality or ethnic) who have banded together to form a team and named it after themselves, (even in the case of London Irish that has now moved on).

I am not sure that Washington Redskins was setup by a group of native amaricans to represent themselves. (even if the logo was designed by a native american).

Anybody can play for Irish

You don't need to pass an SS racial purity test.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

msp. wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Was not Red Tails the name of the African American air force squadron during WWII, - a bit of a minefield I would of thought,,
I had heard of the Tuskogee airmen alright.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Mullet 2 wrote:
msp. wrote:But New Zealand Maori, is a team on Native New Zealanders, It is like what London Irish, London Scottish or even Reading West Indies. They are teams from a "group" (either nationality or ethnic) who have banded together to form a team and named it after themselves, (even in the case of London Irish that has now moved on).

Do you know what purity means? The NZ Maori team is far from SS style 'pure'.

And anyway the team isn't being axed at all.

How do you feel about the NZ Samoans rugby team? Or the NZ Tongan rugby team? Or the Australian Samoans team etc etc? Do you have hissy fits about them as well?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
mr bungle wrote:They’re called Redskins. Whether you agree or not at that being offensive, that’s what the main focus is. The Indian imagery obviously goes hand in hand, but there’s more focus on the Washington Redskins than Cleveland Indians.
... and so what?

Okay, I can see that might be a bit on the nose in the context of today's uber-sensitive political landscape but it really shouldn't be. Besides, from the look of those images and the guy with the "Caucasian" T-shirt, they seem way more upset about being used as a mascot than the actual name.
And so what?
Redskin is a slang term for Native Americans in the United States and First Nations in Canada. The term "redskin" underwent pejoration through the 19th to early 20th centuries[1] and in contemporary dictionaries of American English it is labeled "usually offensive",[2] "disparaging",[3][4] "insulting",[5] or "taboo".[6]
I’m all for rallying against the hyper sensitivity becoming more prevalent in today’s society, but I won’t get in behind defending this one. It’s a shitty name, and should go.
Yes, you're right. I agree the name is too much. I didn't realise it had a history of being a racial slur. I'd only heard it in relation to that team and the red lolly sticks I used to buy at the servo when I was a kid.

The point I was making is just that it's a bit silly the people find these things offensive. A story I often tell about Wendell Sailor being called a "black c-unt" by someone in the stands and when asked about how insulting it was, responding with, "well, it was insulting to be called a c-unt anyway".

Obviously you wouldn't call any team, "The NSW Blacks/Negros" or whatever, so understandably the same should apply to Washington. I'm just saying in an ideal world these things should just not be considered insulting. They should be met with a shrug of the shoulders and a, "yeah, and ... so what?".

In the world that we live in, I do agree that the name "Redskins" is just pushing what is socially acceptable (for better or worse) too much and should be replaced. The Indian Chief mascot I have no problem with though and I think if anyone else does, they're just pretending.
Yeah, when people call you a ching-chong or slant eyed cnut, you should just say, yes I am, so what. Or just get upset about the cnut part.

Mog seems to have adopted the if I'm not offended by something then no one's allowed to be, and something something Sam Harris something something.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Washington have confirmed they are retiring the name Redskins.
DOB

Post by DOB »

koroke hangareka wrote:And Ontario, CA.
I live an hour's drive from Dublin.

Not the Dublin I grew up in.

Wendy's Burgers is from a different Dublin again.

I'm not unflattered that so many Americans chose to name their city after mine, but it gets annoying having to qualify which one I'm from.

I worked with a guy from Belfast, Maine. He didn't realise that either it, or Bangor, were the same name as 2 towns in Northern Ireland.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Biffer29 wrote:Washington have confirmed they are retiring the name Redskins.
Just read a lot of salty tweets about it. I expect there to be a lot of 'fans' burning the jerseys today.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
... and so what?

And so what?

Geezus christ.

Do you know what you should seriously be asking yourself right now. It's this: why am I making shit up in order to justify my insult-ridden outrage? Think about it. Because if you have to imagine up things in your own head to maintain the rage, maybe the rage isn't actually all that justified.

What actually happened is some other poster made a moderately off-colour joke, and I pointed out that while I would NOT have made the same joke myself, that Shrek is also probably not actually a goose-stepping KKK-member who hates Asians. He's possibly just a guy that had a couple of beers and made a crude joke assuming that people wouldn't lose their shit about it.

Don't make shit up and about me thinking it's okay to call people a "slant-eyed c-nt". That is not even close to what actually occurred. The anecdote in the post above was meant to demonstrate how Salior's capacity to take offence (even when it was obviously intended, unlike in Shrek's joke) is admirably small (instead of Titanic-sized like your own). It had nothing to do with calling someone a "slant eyed ching chong" at all.

And fwiw, my sister is half-Chinese you f**king wingnut.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
madman

Post by madman »

Nieghorn wrote:Just read a lot of salty tweets about it. I expect there to be a lot of 'fans' burning
They will be collector items in the future..
madman

Post by madman »

Mullet 2 wrote:

You make me laugh.. surprise surprise Irish supporting racism again ..
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

madman wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

You make me laugh.. surprise surprise Irish supporting racism again ..
Amazing irony :lol:
puku

Post by puku »

UncleFB wrote: Mog seems to have adopted the if I'm not offended by something then no one's allowed to be, and something something Sam Harris something something Joe Rogan.
Corrected.

Mog is a strange one. Goes in balls deep at the drop of a hat and then has to retract once he has a "fuller" understanding.

Mr Bungle might be onto something.
puku

Post by puku »

DOB wrote:

I'm not unflattered that so many Americans chose to name their city after mine, but it gets annoying having to qualify which one I'm from.

I worked with a guy from Belfast, Maine. He didn't realise that either it, or Bangor, were the same name as 2 towns in Northern Ireland.
You would have though the the town founders could have gone with New Dublin at least.

In Minnesota we have the mighty small towns of New Prague, New London and New Ulm.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

puku wrote:
DOB wrote:

You would have though the the town founders could have gone with New Dublin at least.

In Minnesota we have the mighty small towns of New Prague, New London and New Ulm.
And Bangor, Wales, and Bangor, N Ireland, are of a very similar age - 6th century. It appears that the Welsh one is around 50 years older, but unsure if there are any links.

On google; Bangor itself is an old Welsh word for a 'wattled enclosure'. The name Bangor is derived from the Irish word Beannchor (modern Irish Beannchar) meaning a horned or peaked curve as the shape of Bangor Bay. So that means they were probably quite separate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_Gwynedd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_County_Down
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

puku wrote:
UncleFB wrote: Mog seems to have adopted the if I'm not offended by something then no one's allowed to be, and something something Sam Harris something something Joe Rogan.
Corrected.

Mog is a strange one. Goes in balls deep at the drop of a hat and then has to retract once he has a "fuller" understanding.

All nonsense of course. :roll:

I occasionally admit I'm wrong, or stand corrected given new information, as everyone should. But I guess if you know absolutely everything already like yourself and Mr Bungle, that's never necessary, right?

UncleFB is also missing the point of the post. You can be offended as you want, but a) nobody has to respect it; b) it's not even worth your own respect; c) it doesn't make you right; and d) it's unhelpful to meaningful conversation. But by all means, be offended. There's no law against that. But if someone tells you to go f-ck yourself you pansy, then you'll just have to sit and spin on it. Taking offence doesn't grant you a single thing. That's the point.
msp.

Post by msp. »

puku wrote:
DOB wrote:

Least naming after a familiar place is less likely to cause offence than this place in Australia..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/f**king,_Austria
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
mr bungle wrote:It highlights how unusual the Redskins name is and how is should be gassed.
The Redskins is the most egregious but not that unusual

This just seems like such a completely insignificant and unimportant thing to get all self-righteous and protesty about.

It is extremely easy to imagine - even most probable - that if every NFL, NBA and NHL mascot was a white general, pirate, knight, viking or whatever, then the very same people would be protesting the fact that their people are not represented by any major sporting team, and use that as an example of institutionalised racism. In fact, that would be all but guaranteed.

Buccaneers, Steelers, Knights, Patriots, Generals, Pirates, Highlanders, Berserkers, Vikings (where are all the Scandinavians upset about being used as a mascot?) etc. etc. etc. An Indian Chief is just an iconic image. I'd be surprised if anyone genuinely gave a f-ck as opposed to just seeing at as an soft target to direct some false outrage toward. I mean is it really that offensive? Is it intended to offend anyone? Does it actually offend anyone? For f-ck's sake one could just as easily choose to see it as a compliment and a honour if they felt like it. But of course self righteous outrage is the trend.
Try walking a mile in their shoes mate. I have been about as ignorant as they come and despite making progress I am still massively ignorant. My only advice now to myself is the following.... read. Then when you are done reading read some more. Then listen. Then listen some more. Rinse and repeat for the rest of your life. Understanding comes from really exploring and learning about these issues. Also I don't have a dog in this fight so no need to take it personally. Well perhaps I do have a big stake in this because its about the type of society we want to create. An aware, just and inclusive society that will prevent the destruction of notions like the American Dream. Or a Trumpian society based on denial, ignorance, aggression and eventual collapse (something he is ultimately not concerned with provided he has his moment of vainglory). Now these are just words, ideas and concepts which may or may not be true. I sense though they have some validity and importance. And whether or not accurate I can at least embrace the concept of having patience for those who have suffered greatly.
Last edited by nicebutdim on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Exeter should tap into the local Dumnonii heritage
They should stick to being called Exeter. The English Rugby clubs should never have gone down that route. Sale Sharks :x Bristol Bears x( I can remember Bristol tarting themselves for a sponsor. Bristol Shoguns x(

At least the not nots, Bath and Gloucester have stuck with their club names.
But Bath use the name "Bath Rugby" - mainly to let everyone know what they are attempting to play. ;)
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
... and so what?

would your half-chinese sister be happy if they were called the Washington Yellowskins, would you be telling her that she was being uber-sensitive and just trying to score political points if she wasn't?
DOB

Post by DOB »

LandOTurk wrote: On google; Bangor itself is an old Welsh word for a 'wattled enclosure'. The name Bangor is derived from the Irish word Beannchor (modern Irish Beannchar) meaning a horned or peaked curve as the shape of Bangor Bay. So that means they were probably quite separate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_Gwynedd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangor,_County_Down
Probably like all the Newcastles and Newbridges all around Britain and Ireland. There are more Springfields in the US than there are states.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Biffer29 wrote:Washington have confirmed they are retiring the name Redskins.
How about Foreskins?
puku

Post by puku »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
puku wrote:
Corrected.

All nonsense of course. :roll:

I occasionally admit I'm wrong, or stand corrected given new information, as everyone should. But I guess if you know absolutely everything already like yourself and Mr Bungle, that's never necessary, right?

UncleFB is also missing the point of the post. You can be offended as you want, but a) nobody has to respect it; b) it's not even worth your own respect; c) it doesn't make you right; and d) it's unhelpful to meaningful conversation. But by all means, be offended. There's no law against that. But if someone tells you to go f-ck yourself you pansy, then you'll just have to sit and spin on it. Taking offence doesn't grant you a single thing. That's the point.
Mog me old china, you could at least give an accreditation for the bit above you lifted straight from Sam Harris.

To be clear here, the Redskins name does not offend me as a white guy, I'll leave that to First Nation folks. I just find it racist and I find it wrong. Simples.
Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Should get rid of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A lot of Somalis are pissed off about it, probably.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Mog The Almighty wrote:I occasionally admit I'm wrong, or stand corrected given new information, as everyone should. But I guess if you know absolutely everything already like yourself and Mr Bungle, that's never necessary, right?
Don’t deflect to us as supposedly knowing everything. It’s more a case of you posting paragraph after paragraph on topics you are then shown to know very little about. Your sister is half Chinese and it never entered your mind why the term Redskins might be offensive to Native Americans?
msp.

Post by msp. »

So will Washington be able to use any Native American themed name? Name it self after the native Americans that was based in Viginia (with public permission of the first nation) or are they going to have to choose a completely different theme?
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Punter15 wrote:Should get rid of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A lot of Somalis are pissed off about it, probably.
Not even close.

Punter15

Post by Punter15 »

Nieghorn wrote:
Punter15 wrote:Should get rid of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A lot of Somalis are pissed off about it, probably.
Not even close.

Yes. I know.

Jesus you’re dense.