Chiefs vs Hurricanes: MATCH THREAD: Sun 5th July

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Re: Chiefs vs Hurricanes: MATCH THREAD: Sun 5th July

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:Mounga is a great place kicker, but his range is pretty average isn’t it? Also, always great to have multiple kicking options on the field. Remember Dagg’s punt? Such an asset to have when he was playing.
Jordan has an excellent long general play kicking game. Have you been watching the Crusaders over the past three weeks?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

I see Prinsep put in a big shift. Over twenty tackles.
Couch

Post by Couch »

JB1981 wrote:Against the likes of England you need composure. I like what I see from Jordan there far more than Jordie, plus he has more attacking threat.
That flashy stuff will not work up north in Twickers or Aviva, double World Rugby player of the year Beauden Barrett will tell you that
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Well that was an incredible defensive performance by the Canes.....and if I'm not mistaken a certain Corey Jane is defence coach these days :thumbup:

Not particularly happy with the PT. Was it taken behind the mark, yes, but it seemed to be a long way to the side of where the ref was indicating, so clearly not in line with the mark as is required. Also there were defensive players behind the tackler and we have heard plenty of times possible PTs not given because of defensive cover behind the line of the infringement.

Still, all in all a very pleasing result.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Mounga is a great place kicker, but his range is pretty average isn’t it? Also, always great to have multiple kicking options on the field. Remember Dagg’s punt? Such an asset to have when he was playing.
Jordan has an excellent long general play kicking game. Have you been watching the Crusaders over the past three weeks?
No, not really. Was more defending Jordie as a kicker than attacking Jordan for not having a kicking game. It’s massive boon for outside backs and if Jordan has one then even more reason to expect a call up.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Cripes the ref made some odd calls - repeated Chiefs infringements in the "red zone" in the first half don't even get a warning, but Scrafton gets binned for a nothing play at a lineout. Then a shoulder-charge that was lined up after the ball had been passed is "just a late tackle".

Still, at least the game wasn't ruined by the Canes playing with 14 for nearly half an hour...

Jordie's quite Marmite isn't he, does have a lot of skill but makes a few too many big errors at this stage in his career, particularly when kicking from hand in open play. Hell of a base to work off though.

Chiefs look plain bad and I don't know if Gatland knows how to deal with it. This is probably the first time in his career as a head coach where he's got a team of small but highly skilled players who might be a bit flaky and are used to chucking the ball around - it's the opposite of what he's used to and I don't know if he knows how to adapt. Good to see he's kept his referee lucky charms though :thumbup:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Dan54. wrote:Well what's going on? the Canes winning rugby based on a strong defensive performance? Have to say Garden-Bachop went better than I thought, and think it showing the idea of a second playmaker at the back and how much it helps an iffy 10! Jordie looked bloody good first game back, carried on from pre covid games
Yep. JBG had less time on the ball so less time to fudge it up. Part of that was JB and TJ having more time on the ball, but also the simple fact that the Canes had little possession to work with, work in their favour this time.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Yes, good 14 man defence by the canes... but how bad was the chiefs attack?
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Jordie is a perfect fit for the ABs at 12. Soon the AB selectors will follow my thinking.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

JB1981 wrote:Against the likes of England you need composure. I like what I see from Jordan there far more than Jordie, plus he has more attacking threat.

That's why I'd have Jordie in my team against England. He's got a great head on his shoulders.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

JM2K6 wrote:Cripes the ref made some odd calls - repeated Chiefs infringements in the "red zone" in the first half don't even get a warning, but Scrafton gets binned for a nothing play at a lineout. Then a shoulder-charge that was lined up after the ball had been passed is "just a late tackle".

Still, at least the game wasn't ruined by the Canes playing with 14 for nearly half an hour...

Jordie's quite Marmite isn't he, does have a lot of skill but makes a few too many big errors at this stage in his career, particularly when kicking from hand in open play. Hell of a base to work off though.

Chiefs look plain bad and I don't know if Gatland knows how to deal with it. This is probably the first time in his career as a head coach where he's got a team of small but highly skilled players who might be a bit flaky and are used to chucking the ball around - it's the opposite of what he's used to and I don't know if he knows how to adapt. Good to see he's kept his referee lucky charms though :thumbup:

Worst kicking mistake of the night was long-time All Black Aaron Cruden missing touch with the Chiefs penalty late in the game.

The best players still make mistakes, relative to what he makes happen on the field, Jordie does not make more mistakes than the best players.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ted. wrote:
Dan54. wrote:Well what's going on? the Canes winning rugby based on a strong defensive performance? Have to say Garden-Bachop went better than I thought, and think it showing the idea of a second playmaker at the back and how much it helps an iffy 10! Jordie looked bloody good first game back, carried on from pre covid games
Yep. JBG had less time on the ball so less time to fudge it up. Part of that was JB and TJ having more time on the ball, but also the simple fact that the Canes had little possession to work with, work in their favour this time.
yep and that seems to be the answer going forward, if JBG is there, perhaps play away from him a bit until such time a better 10 is found! It doesn't say a lot for him that they put TJ there as soon as they can risk it
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Tussock wrote:Yes, good 14 man defence by the canes... but how bad was the chiefs attack?
In a word terrible. They used to have a brilliant attacking game, running in tries deep from their own end. Now days they are lucky to even make it over the line.

4 tries in 4 games is terrible considering the Crusaders have scored 12 tries in 3 games.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JM2K6 wrote:Chiefs look plain bad and I don't know if Gatland knows how to deal with it. This is probably the first time in his career as a head coach where he's got a team of small but highly skilled players who might be a bit flaky and are used to chucking the ball around - it's the opposite of what he's used to and I don't know if he knows how to adapt. Good to see he's kept his referee lucky charms though :thumbup:
:lol: He clearly doesn't think so the way he whinges about the referees after every loss.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

JPNZ wrote:
Tussock wrote:Yes, good 14 man defence by the canes... but how bad was the chiefs attack?
In a word terrible. They used to have a brilliant attacking game, running in tries deep from their own end. Now days they are lucky to even make it over the line.

4 tries in 4 games is terrible considering the Crusaders have scored 12 tries in 3 games.
Agreed. It was helter skelter, lacked cohesion and couldn't make it over the advantage line. Not something that you would expect from the chiefs.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Didn't have time to watch this yesterday but am watching now.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Flockwitt wrote:I see Prinsep put in a big shift. Over twenty tackles.
I think he heard all the complaining this week and decided to teach us a lesson, and it was his 50th. Although that tackle count was helped by the inept Chiefs attack of running forward next to the ruck.
Sonny Blount wrote:

That's why I'd have Jordie in my team against England. He's got a great head on his shoulders.
:lol: You're comedy gold, you can praise lots of JB's attributes, but clearly at this stage of his career he doesn't have a great head on his shoulders.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

He’s an attractive man Uncle. Your jealousy is unbecoming.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Wilderbeast wrote:He’s an attractive man Uncle. Your jealousy is unbecoming.
The Barrett clones look too alike for me to find him attractive ... plus I favour a darker skin shade (which doesn't mean I don't think White Taranaki Farmer Lives don't Matter). :D
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Some thoughts having just watched a recording.

The emotive stuff first, and as a genuine neutral I think I can complain about the referee without being accused of being one-eyed or biased. I thought O'Keefe made some terrible decisions that could have been match defining. Scrafton's first yellow card was the softest 'team card' I have ever seen and his second shouldn't have happened either because McKenzie was 5 metres to the left of the mark when he took the quick tap. That was too obvious to miss, the penalty try therefore shouldn't have been awarded and then the red card would never have been issued. That's a massive error.

Compounding these errors was the decision to only penalise Sam Cane for his late, no arms shoulder charge on TJ Perenara. That was a yellow card every day of the week and I was stunned when the referee immediately vocalised that it was a penalty only.

In terms of the game, both these teams are playing like they have new coaches. It sometimes takes time for an incoming coach to embed their philosophy and structure, and that's clearly what's happening at the Chiefs. They are playing like a team that is trying to play both tight and loose. Both conservatively and expansively. Warren Gatland is a vastly experienced and highly credentialed coach but the reality is that right now his team is playing like they have not bought into his game-plan just yet. He has four more games to change this and the bye has come at a great time for him and his coaching team to take stock of the team.

The Chiefs tight 5 is injury depleted and undermanned, but in fairness they actually looked good in the set piece this week. Their lineout was mostly accurate and their scrum had moments of ascendancy. Where they come undone was surprisingly at the breakdown. They were outworked and out-enthused by the Hurricanes at the ruck. There is no doubt that the new law interpretations have stifled Lachlan Boshier's ability to pilfer. He was peerless in this facet prior to COVID but hasn't been able to have any impact over the ball in Super Rugby Aotearoa. Sam Cane looks a yard or two off the pace, but this is understandable given he has only recently returned to the game from a lengthy injury layoff.

In attack, the Chiefs were very lateral, moving the ball side to side rather than forward. Aaron Cruden illustrated this perfectly, he spent the entire match running an 'overs line' arc, which only served to reduce the time and space for his outside players. Losing Anton Leinart-Brown would not have helped the Chiefs attacking play, but in Manu and Tupea they have midfielders that have the ability to straighten the attack if used properly. The only player who consistently made metres and straightened the Chiefs was Pita Gus Sowakula, who I thought was excellent and bested All Black no.8 Ardie Savea.

The Hurricanes victory was built entirely around their toughness and defensive effort. Their line-speed was as good as I've seen from a Hurricanes team since their 2016 title winnng season, as was their effort at the tackle and the breakdown. Princep and Kirifi are extremely hardworking loosies who tackled themselves to a standstill in this match. This allowed Savea to play much looser, and he benefited from this, featuring well with ball in hand.

Whilst this match was won by their defense, the Hurricanes also looked much better in attack. Jackson Garden-Bachop was composed and understated, and his passing game was effective. TJP's passing from the base of the ruck was more accurate than it has been this season. The big improver was Ngani Laumape. He was strong every time he ran the ball and made strong, straight metres throughout the match. Jordie Barrett was mostly great, although he still has a 'Bambi on ice' look to him at times. His penalty goal at the end of the first half was a key moment.

Overall I thought the scoreline flattered the Chiefs. They are a team under pressure right now, but have the talent, experience and coach to turn things around very quickly. Hurricanes fans should be very pleased with how well their team fought. It was a tough, gusty and gritty performance, and those aren't adjectives you usually associate with the Hurricanes.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Good read :thumbup:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Wilderbeast wrote:Good read :thumbup:
:thumbup: Agreed. Though I turned off the TV in disgust following the red card. Must go back and watch the final quarter.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

I was going to say the same until I got to the bits about Cruden and Gus, Cruden was the only one who was making holes in the defence yet he continually had no one following him (like an SBW did back in the day). And Gus barely made any metres from lots of carries. Savea made lots of metres from fewer carries , and he had fewer carries because the Chiefs had so much of the ball that they used hopelessly, which allowed, as I noted above, Prinsep to rack up a huge tackle count. And Ardie made double the tackles of Gus with no misses. Off the pace Cane made one less metre than Gus off three fewer runs.

Other than that and a few minor quibbles, a good attempt. :D
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:
I was going to say the same until I got to the bits about Cruden and Gus, Cruden was the only one who was making holes in the defence yet he continually had no one following him (like an SBW did back in the day).
Cruden was running selfish overs lines all day. He created no time or space for his young midfield. Upon reflection I feel, with ALB's late injury, that Cruden had no faith in his rookie midfield pairing and that's why he ignored them for the entire match and felt he needed to do everything himself. It was a bad decision.

As for Pita Gus Sowakula's performance, anecdotally I thought he played well and he was certainly the best Chief on the field. Savea played well too, but I thought Sowakula did more in a well beaten pack. Didn't think I'd be arguing with Chiefs fans about the quality of his performance.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
I was going to say the same until I got to the bits about Cruden and Gus, Cruden was the only one who was making holes in the defence yet he continually had no one following him (like an SBW did back in the day).
Cruden was running selfish overs lines all day. He created no time or space for his young midfield. Upon reflection I feel, with ALB's late injury, that Cruden had no faith in his rookie midfield pairing and that's why he ignored them for the entire match and felt he needed to do everything himself. It was a bad decision.

As for Pita Gus Sowakula's performance, anecdotally I thought he played well and he was certainly the best Chief on the field. Savea played well too, but I thought Sowakula did more in a well beaten pack. Didn't think I'd be arguing with Chiefs fans about his inclusion in this team at no.8.
He's been poor all Super Rugby Aotearoa and I'm genuinely bemused he's being talked up in this game. The Chiefs lack no.8 depth, the number 2s in a number of franchises would start at the Chiefs.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:He's been poor all Super Rugby Aotearoa and I'm genuinely bemused he's being talked up in this game. The Chiefs lack no.8 depth, the number 2s in a number of franchises would start at the Chiefs.
He has been poor in previous games, but I thought he was good yesterday. He also won some lineouts.

Perhaps you are to emotionally attached with the Chiefs and this is clouding your judgement at the moment? I imagine with your team 0-4 you're also under some stress right now? Perhaps it's best that you left it to impartial, neutral observers to assess the relative performance of Chiefs players?
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Ali's Choice wrote: Compounding these errors was the decision to only penalise Sam Cane for his late, no arms shoulder charge on TJ Perenara. That was a yellow card every day of the week and I was stunned when the referee immediately vocalised that it was a penalty only.
That was really poor. No arms, high-ish and late. Yellow every day of the week.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote: Compounding these errors was the decision to only penalise Sam Cane for his late, no arms shoulder charge on TJ Perenara. That was a yellow card every day of the week and I was stunned when the referee immediately vocalised that it was a penalty only.
That was really poor. No arms, high-ish and late. Yellow every day of the week.
Yes. The fact that Cane got off with just a penalty, and Scrafton was yellow carded twice, was ridiculous. I expect referees to miss things throughout games, that's the nature of Rugby. But to make such crucial errors about foul play, when the TMO is there to support, is unforgivable. I think he was too scared to send off the All Black captain in front of Cane's hometown fans.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

UncleFB wrote:
I was going to say the same until I got to the bits about Cruden and Gus, Cruden was the only one who was making holes in the defence yet he continually had no one following him (like an SBW did back in the day). And Gus barely made any metres from lots of carries. Savea made lots of metres from fewer carries , and he had fewer carries because the Chiefs had so much of the ball that they used hopelessly, which allowed, as I noted above, Prinsep to rack up a huge tackle count. And Ardie made double the tackles of Gus with no misses. Off the pace Cane made one less metre than Gus off three fewer runs.

Other than that and a few minor quibbles, a good attempt. :D
Yes, it's also interesting to note that Ardie Savea has previously looked a yard or two off the pace, but this is understandable given he has only recently returned to the game from a lengthy injury layoff, but stepped up this game.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

As for Pita Gus Sowakula's performance, anecdotally I thought he played well and he was certainly the best Chief on the field. Savea played well too, but I thought Sowakula did more in a well beaten pack. Didn't think I'd be arguing with Chiefs fans about the quality of his performance.
A well beaten pack?????

What were the possession stats, for pity's sake. :lol:

Nah, I can't leave it there. The Chiefs loosies should have been making the Canes loosies their personal playthings, there private dancers, their boy toys. The ref certainly thought so and proceeded to give them a helping hand at every occasion. They even had a man advantage in the pack to play with for over quarter of the game.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ted. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

A well beaten pack?????

What were the possession stats, for pity's sake. :lol:
The Chiefs had plenty of possession, but could do nothing with it because they couldn't get any go-forward due to the Hurricanes' effort and commitment in defense. The Chiefs were good at set piece time but they were well beaten at the breakdown.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

No relevance to the result but this was one of Gat's complaints (and I am aware of the whataboutery)

Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I see that Scott Scrafton does not have a further suspension this weekend - and O'Keefe has been chucked down to running the line.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote:I see that Scott Scrafton does not have a further suspension this weekend - and O'Keefe has been chucked down to running the line.
Sounds like a common sense approach :thumbup:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Enzedder wrote:I see that Scott Scrafton does not have a further suspension this weekend - and O'Keefe has been chucked down to running the line.
No word on a citing related to Same Cane's late shoulder charge?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Ted. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
No word on a citing related to Same Cane's late shoulder charge?

Not a red card threshhold Ted so outside citing officer's scope
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I have to say, I hope that the 'blame the referee' mindset that seems to have crept into the Chiefs camp under Gatland is just a passing phase and not a longterm strategy. I have always maintained that it is a counter-productive strategy for teams and players to maintain, because it absolves the players and coaches of responsibility, and it's also not something that the team can control. The Chiefs arguably had more close calls go for them than against them.

I totally get that Gatland has had success in the past pressuring referees, but that's more likely to be a successful strategy for a one-off test match rather than during a weekly, round-robin competition.
Normac

Post by Normac »

Ali's Choice wrote:Whilst this match was won by their defense, the Hurricanes also looked much better in attack. Jackson Garden-Bachop was composed and understated, and his passing game was effective. TJP's passing from the base of the ruck was more accurate than it has been this season.
I thought TJ had one of his more forgettable games. He threw a few ankle cutters and loopy overheaders which really stifled the Canes momentum at times.

I've been impressed with the impact that Jamie Booth has made off the bench over the last couple of weeks. He was a real spark in the 10 minutes that TJ was off for a head assessment against the Crusaders and the scrum move that led to a try on Sunday was superb. Glad the Canes moved on from Finlay Christie as the preferred number 2.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Normac wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Whilst this match was won by their defense, the Hurricanes also looked much better in attack. Jackson Garden-Bachop was composed and understated, and his passing game was effective. TJP's passing from the base of the ruck was more accurate than it has been this season.
I thought TJ had one of his more forgettable games. He threw a few ankle cutters and loopy overheaders which really stifled the Canes momentum at times.

I've been impressed with the impact that Jamie Booth has made off the bench over the last couple of weeks. He was a real spark in the 10 minutes that TJ was off for a head assessment against the Crusaders and the scrum move that led to a try on Sunday was superb. Glad the Canes moved on from Finlay Christie as the preferred number 2.
Booth brings lots of energy to this team, but I'm not a fan of TJP playing at no.10. I thought JGB played better at first five than TJP did over the weekend, so perhaps Holland needs to bite the bullet and replace his half back rather than push him out to first five when Booth takes the field?
Normac

Post by Normac »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Normac wrote:

Booth brings lots of energy to this team, but I'm not a fan of TJP playing at no.10. I thought JGB played better at first five than TJP did over the weekend, so perhaps Holland needs to bite the bullet and replace his half back rather than push him out to first five when Booth takes the field?
I agree. It can't have done JGB's confidence any good having put together a fairly solid performance for 60 minutes to only get hooked and replaced by a player playing out of position. If the coach doesn't want a 10 spot occupying the bench he should move Jordie into the pivot when required and have an outside back replacement like Tiatia or Goosen to cover that.