Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD; Sat 11th July

All things Rugby
merlin the happy pig

Re: Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD; Sat 11th July

Post by merlin the happy pig »

the curse wrote:
Roadman wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:RMo bought it back in a big way and could rightly claim motm. It’s quite impressive considering he was quite iffy in the first half.
Agree with that. That was a game of inches and many times in the first half with some of his stupid kicking of what the f... was that Ritchie. Where as with Codie Taylor it was jeez bro are you the everyready constant leading everywhere machine or what.

Taylor was awesome, easily MOTM for me
Codie Taylor vs Dane Coles for All Black hooker is one hell of a choice to make.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Crusaders win again?
Exciting stuff.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Would like to see the charge down again. Did the Sadists jump the gun there? Having said that, it was a bad error by Black to take the conversion from a position where the charge down could happen. He could have gone 20 m further back and still slotted it easily. Thought the ref might have had a look at it. Those 2 points could have been crucial, and the momentum certainly changed after that happened.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Due to my managerial duties with my club, I couldn't watch the first half live...due to my club's inability to show games at all, I fucked off straight after the main game to watch the last half hour at our sponsor pub...1 point in it with 30 to go...you could just see the Sadists shift up a gear to close it out, Bridge and Jordan outstanding...about to watch the recording so I can see the first 50...hard luck, JAFFAS...
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Floppykid wrote:Crusaders win again?
Exciting stuff.
It was a quality game, test standard almost (NZ not Ire). Forget about thinking knowing the ending somehow ruins the game and watch it, if you get a chance.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

obelixtim wrote:Would like to see the charge down again. Did the Sadists jump the gun there? Having said that, it was a bad error by Black to take the conversion from a position where the charge down could happen. He could have gone 20 m further back and still slotted it easily. Thought the ref might have had a look at it. Those 2 points could have been crucial, and the momentum certainly changed after that happened.
They were well on their way as Black took his step back prior to running in. Should have been a re-kick.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

mr bungle wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Crusaders win again?
Exciting stuff.
It was a quality game, test standard almost (NZ not Ire). Forget about thinking knowing the ending somehow ruins the game and watch it, if you get a chance.
The Crusaders last two games could have gone either way heading into the final 10 minutes. It’s a tight competition and far less predictable than this type of comment from Floppykid. As you say, he should try watching if he gets a chance.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Very enjoyable way to start the day. Terrific to see such quality rugby from both sides, hopefully one day we will see both of those coaches in tandem with the national squad.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Don't think Beauden Barrett had his best game. I recall at least one high kick spilled forward. But the key turning point for me was not the charge down. Sure that was disappointing and cost us 2 points. But after Richie Mounga's brilliant restart we had managed to defend that and clear our line. Then in the subsequent play nobody wanted to run the ball and a period of forceback/aimless kicking ensued. From a deep position with no real pressure and plenty of time BB hooked the ball out on the full. A really bad kick. x(

The resulting lineout gave the Crusaders great field position and from the resulting play they scored a 7 pointer. So suddenly from being 15-9 ahead we were trailing 16-15. It was all Crusaders from there.

Still, that's what great teams do. We had our chances and weren't good enough to capitalize. The Crusaders were under the cosh for long periods but weathered the storm and came home strong. That's what makes them the champions. :thumbup:
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

None of what you say is wrong booji, but it does seem BB is starting to wear a disproportionate amount of blame for the loss. Everyone made mistakes (mounga kicked a pen dead) but the crusaders (And mounga), through being an absolute quality team, were able to put it behind them.

The charge down/quick restart were key to me. Mounga got the perfect bounce to regather and because BB contested the ball instead of anticipating the tackle, he was able to scoot another 20m. Crowd was suddenly involved and it just felt ominous for the blues.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Wilderbeast wrote:None of what you say is wrong booji, but it does seem BB is starting to wear a disproportionate amount of blame for the loss. Everyone made mistakes (mounga kicked a pen dead) but the crusaders (And mounga), through being an absolute quality team, were able to put it behind them.

The charge down/quick restart were key to me. Mounga got the perfect bounce to regather and because BB contested the ball instead of anticipating the tackle, he was able to scoot another 20m. Crowd was suddenly involved and it just felt ominous for the blues.
For the record I'm a massive fan of BB so I'm not targeting him for blame. But you rely on senior players like him to step up in the big moments. He was also penalized twice at the ruck for coming in from the side both times killing off promising attacking plays. Disappointing from BB but I'm sure he'll bounce back. The return match at Eden Park should be a cracker but the title will probably already be decided by then.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Yes I remember the penalties, I thought they were harsh (particularly the one for going off his feet) but a penalty is a penalty and his best contributions were definitely in the first half (aka the forgotten half).

Saw a picture of BB giving mounga a hug from behind and saying something, which looked cheeky, to him. Great to see they both get along.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Wilderbeast wrote:Yes I remember the penalties, I thought they were harsh (particularly the one for going off his feet) but a penalty is a penalty and his best contributions were definitely in the first half (aka the forgotten half).
Saw a picture of BB giving mounga a hug from behind and saying something, which looked cheeky, to him. Great to see they both get along.
I saw that photo too. Someone with photoshop skills could have a bit of fun with it.

It wouldn’t take much for a wholesome image after the game like this:

To become a more sinister image of bitter rivalry more akin to this:

I thought Barrett was steady again. He and Mo’unga both made errors and when you are the poster boys of your teams, they get more discussion. I’m looking forward to a replay to watch some of the bigger moments more closely but thought that Mo’unga continued to reinforce his position as NZ’s best first-five. That said, if he could cut out the penalty missed touch finders, I would be happier.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

This is what I saw, it’s a bit nicer! https://twitter.com/superrugbynz/status ... 47712?s=21

I still can’t post pictures to save myself.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Well top bloody game, as suspected the Crusader's depth proved the difference in the end. I thought most of the usual suspects had bloody good games, was impressed with Sotutu again, and him taking a ball off Whitelock on Crusaders throw was one of hightlights for me, Codie Taylor at 2 is arguably the best going around at moment, and has been for last year or so I think, Akira Ioane is actually playing reasonable rugby, which is pleasant surprise, not an AB ,but he has improved his attitude. Seems George Bridge may have heard that one or two people were wondering about his value and so he just stepped up and showed us how bloody good he is, geez there is logjam of wings in the country, I pretty impressed with all wings yesterday although Clarke didn't see much ball. I think Reiko is making a huge statement about AB's 13 jersey, his acceleration of the mark is worth a bit to start with and he is distributing pretty well. All in all I really enjoyed it, personally think anyone who didn't perhaps should find other sports to follow.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Ali's Choice wrote:I'll post some more in-depth reflections tomorrow, but fresh from viewing it's hard not to be excited about both these coaches. Both Robertson and Macdonald look like special talents, and I hope they don't follow the path of 95% of our elite coaches who spend their best years coaching offshore. We need to remember that Leon Macdonald was part of Scott Robertson's All Black coaching team when he applied for the job last November. Have the NZR stuffed up badly.

The Blues are the real deal this year. Their defense was first class, as good as any I've seen this year. The Crusaders are one of the most lethal teams in world rugby right now, and they were made to look pedestrian at times in attack.

George Bridge will have silenced many of his critics with that performance. All week people were trolling him, and demanding for Jordan to retain his place in the starting team. Bridge was great, he caught a number of contested box kicks, saved a try with his tackle of Mark Telea and his try assist for Drummond was just class.

As has long been the case, the Crusaders bench 9 made a huge impact. Mitch Drummond was awesome. He didn't just score a try, his decision making was first class and he was very accurate at the breakdown when the Crusaders were lifting the tempo in the final quarter of the match.

Interesting to hear people's thought on the contest at centre between Ennor and Ioane? Reiko scored a great try but Ennor did some key things as well, his charge down was crucial and then a late touch finding kick was high quality.
I thought Talea made a couple of mistakes that let the Saders back in the game, but he will learn from those, is certainly a talent and I am expecting him to be an All Black eventually.

One of the best SR games I have watched for a long time. :thumbup: 8)
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

I said it on NPR where I could embed the video, but we can add Mo’unga’s kick off to a growing list of “heads-up” plays from him where he has spotted and exploited teams switching off or being slightly out of position. His long bounced penalty touch finder against the Springboks in Pretoria in 2018 and forcing a 5 metre scrum from a free kick (from memory, maybe a penalty) from within his own 22 in the 2018 Super Rugby final vs the Lions are the other examples that immediately came to mind yesterday.

That game awareness and vision is a real strength.
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

Harry Plummer, is not a goal kicker's arsehole.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JB1981 wrote:I thought Barrett was steady again. He and Mo’unga both made errors and when you are the poster boys of your teams, they get more discussion. I’m looking forward to a replay to watch some of the bigger moments more closely but thought that Mo’unga continued to reinforce his position as NZ’s best first-five. That said, if he could cut out the penalty missed touch finders, I would be happier.
It was interesting to read some comments from Mo'unga post-game. He said that with penalties where he is trying to gain territory for an attacking lineout, that he always goes for maximum distance, and that he is prepared to stuff up the odd kick because the benefit of a lineout 5m out from the tryline is significantly more than 15 metres +. It is basically a calculated risk.

Barrett is having a funny season. He is clearly enjoying being the kaumatua in the Blues backline, but is playing differently to how he has ever played before. I mentioned earlier in this thread, but Barrett is playing with the composure and calmness that we often lamented was missing for many years when he was the Hurricanes and All Blacks first choice 10. He is playing risk averse, conservative Rugby but this has come at the expense of his natural attacking game. I've watched every Blues game in the comp and from memory (happy to be proven wrong) hasn't made a line break all season. This is a player who would regularly make 2-3 linebreaks per game in the past. He isn't taking on defenses himself, instead choosing to kick or feed his outside men. That's a commendable attitude to take, but I also think that if Beauden Barrett isn't running the ball regularly then he isn't effectively utilising his entire skillset.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I’d agree with all of that AC. I think he was keener in this match than normal but still holding back.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

With BB it’s possible he’s in the wrong position - maybe first five is best. Maybe 100 kiwi players are right and he is the best 10.

——-

That said loved some of the passing from Black and RMo to create tries. Nice to see. Only watch Kayo mini package so can’t comment on individuals but overall enjoyed the game. Nice win by the saders.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

kiwigreg369 wrote:With BB it’s possible he’s in the wrong position - maybe first five is best. Maybe 100 kiwi players are right and he is the best 10.
Could well be true but the Blues may have painted themselves into a corner by signing DC as the mentor for Otere Black. They can hardly bring BB into 10 now and drop Black to the bench, because there would then be no place for DC.

Though if they are going to use Plummer at 12 in major matches, perhaps Leon sees a place for DC at 12.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Ali's Choice wrote: I've watched every Blues game in the comp
8) :thumbup: