Australia eager to harvest Hong Kong's human capital

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Re: Australia eager to harvest Hong Kong's human capital

Post by Ali's Choice »

massive_field_goal wrote:there is absolutely no valid humanitarium basis for this - zero. otherwise you would have to say that all Chinese citizens are eligible.

selling visas and citizenship to the highest bidders is an insult to the cultural identity of a country. but no surprise for australia.
90% of our migrant intake have been skilled/wealthy migrants for decades. We don't make them bid for the vias, per se. But they have to meet certain criteria (ie. be rich, have skills, qualifications etc).
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

massive_field_goal wrote:there is absolutely no valid humanitarium basis for this - zero. otherwise you would have to say that all Chinese citizens are eligible.

selling visas and citizenship to the highest bidders is an insult to the cultural identity of a country. but no surprise for australia.
Is that supposed to be a cutting riposte?

Yeah nah try harder.

O hang on, you’re already a tryhard.

Also, sort out your spellchecker, FFS. Is ‘humanitarium’ akin to herbarium, aquarium, terrarium etc?
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Ali's Choice wrote:We offered similar safe-haven for white South Africans in the early 1990's, liberating them from the terrors of a tolerant and apartheid-free society.
:roll: :roll:
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Ellafan wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Ellafan wrote: Which ones are queue jumping though? - the ones who make an application through proper channels whilst domiciled in their home state, and get a visa before traveling here, or the ones who decided to try to illegally enter without a visa?
Refugees don't need a visa to claim asylum....
So, do you say that by paying a people smuggler to bring them here on a boat, and claim asylum, they are entitled to advance their visa application up the queue in front of other applicants?

There are some people in a refugee camp adjacent to the Sudan who might disagree.
Where did I say that exactly?
You didn't, but that would be the effect. You shouldn't get preferred processing over the refugee in the camp in Ethiopia just because you had the $US to pay someone to ship you to Christmas Island. Nor, over an applicant from Hong Kong advancing their application through the correct channels.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Lemoentjie wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:We offered similar safe-haven for white South Africans in the early 1990's, liberating them from the terrors of a tolerant and apartheid-free society.
:roll: :roll:
It's a wonder he didn't drop the "Capetown" photo in there.
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

MungoMan wrote:

Is that supposed to be a cutting riposte?

Yeah nah try harder.

O hang on, you’re already a tryhard.

Also, sort out your spellchecker, FFS. Is ‘humanitarium’ akin to herbarium, aquarium, terrarium etc?
sorry about typo.

and why am I a "tryhard" for saying what I did?
vitoplaysrugby

Post by vitoplaysrugby »

I truly hope none of the dumb fxcks on this thread will ever have to face the undignified situation of being a refugee. Based on the crap some of you have uttered in this thread you don’t deserve to enjoy the privileges you’re born with.

Over and out.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

These subjects are the property of her Majesty. She should do the quotas imo.
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

vitoplaysrugby wrote:I truly hope none of the dumb fxcks on this thread will ever have to face the undignified situation of being a refugee. Based on the crap some of you have uttered in this thread you don’t deserve to enjoy the privileges you’re born with.

Over and out.
while I understand the plight of the Honk Kong folk and their situation, declaring them refugees is a bit of a stretch, and an insult to refugees in much more dire situations. I wonder what the latter must think of this plan.
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

At least with South Africans you get the odd Marnus Labuschagne, Irene van Dyck, Clyde Rathbone or David Pocock.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

massive_field_goal wrote:
vitoplaysrugby wrote:I truly hope none of the dumb fxcks on this thread will ever have to face the undignified situation of being a refugee. Based on the crap some of you have uttered in this thread you don’t deserve to enjoy the privileges you’re born with.

Over and out.
while I understand the plight of the Honk Kong folk and their situation, declaring them refugees is a bit of a stretch, and an insult to refugees in much more dire situations. I wonder what the latter must think of this plan.
Exactly.

Some of the more right-wing members forget that Refugees have a right to apply for Asylum from ANY point, not just their original country.

Keeping Refugees in camps for 7+ years is just ridiculous
paddywack

Post by paddywack »

I'm sure that Australia is not alone. I was living in HK during the handover and then Canada was the prefferred destination to anyone leaving.
The very rich had already made their own arrangements for themselves and their money secreted in London and and into accounts around the world, and I have little doubt the current ones have done the same .
I dont doubt who ever gets the bulk will enjoy a net benefit of having them in their country
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Over and out.
Exactly.

Some of the more right-wing members forget that Refugees have a right to apply for Asylum from ANY point, not just their original country.

Yeah, so based on todays press conference, its quite clear they are not being treated as refugees.

They are simply making it more attractive for students and highly skilled people to come here. :thumbup:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Over and out.
Exactly.

Yeah, so based on todays press conference, its quite clear they are not being treated as refugees.

They are simply making it more attractive for students and highly skilled people to come here. :thumbup:

Good to hear they have changed the message.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
massive_field_goal wrote: while I understand the plight of the Honk Kong folk and their situation, declaring them refugees is a bit of a stretch, and an insult to refugees in much more dire situations. I wonder what the latter must think of this plan.
Exactly.

Good to hear they have changed the message.
It is becoming increasingly clear that there is an auction on progress with the items for auction being HK's wealthier and/or better educated residents. A few countries have submitted preliminary bids and I anticipate there being more.

All that is lacking is an auctioneer.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

I would welcome them to the UK if they can pick fruit or work in Hotels.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Over and out.
Exactly.

Just because they pay big money to get on a boat and illegally enter Australia, then make their application AT THAT POINTdoesn't mean they should have their application advanced up the queue in front of people who have had respect for the laws of this country, and UN procedures, and applied through the proper channels. AIMHO.

Are you advocating that they should?
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

I smell your jalopy