Melbourne. Fvcked again. And again. And again.

All things Rugby
Farva

Re: Melbourne. Fvcked again. And again. And again.

Post by Farva »

Honestly Clogs, you have a point about hotel quarantine and that is fair to discuss (there were mistakes made, and the revelation that information wasnt passed on to the right people is awful), but you are sounding like a whinging child around the lockdown. We are in probably the best position in the world right now. We have next to no cases, a clear path for the vaccine, and a vibrant economy.

It sucks we are in lockdown but this responses is driven by expert advice, not Dan Andrews personal opinion. And I am really happy that is the case.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Farva wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 pm Honestly Clogs, you have a point about hotel quarantine and that is fair to discuss (there were mistakes made, and the revelation that information wasnt passed on to the right people is awful), but you are sounding like a whinging child around the lockdown. We are in probably the best position in the world right now. We have next to no cases, a clear path for the vaccine, and a vibrant economy.

It sucks we are in lockdown but this responses is driven by expert advice, not Dan Andrews personal opinion. And I am really happy that is the case.
Surely its got to the point now that we have to accept hotel quarantines are not the best solution. Every state has had leaks now. Ship new arrivals off to mining camps etc, keep them away from population centers.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Farva wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:28 pm Honestly Clogs, you have a point about hotel quarantine and that is fair to discuss (there were mistakes made, and the revelation that information wasnt passed on to the right people is awful), but you are sounding like a whinging child around the lockdown. We are in probably the best position in the world right now. We have next to no cases, a clear path for the vaccine, and a vibrant economy.

Yeah Clogs, you never stop the whinging (throw me under the bus and i will have UTU! :x )

The decision to locate highly infectious people in densly populated urban areas with untrained/sub standard staff was never a genius level move. The idea of Avalon airport turning into a large internment camp for plague carriers has some merit but I do not have much faith in the government of victoria making these sorts of decisions, after all the vaccine is nearly here and that will solve all the problems immediately...

Still we will hopefully be free again on thursday morning and all of this will be a slight hiccup.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The QLD State govt has a 2000 person former mining camp set up ready to go outside Gladstone, in Caliope. When Scott Morrison visited North QLD two weeks ago he and his Federal govt MP's actively campaigned against this idea, saying that it was "shifting a Brisbane problem to the bush".
Sensible Stephen

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 am The QLD State govt has a 2000 person former mining camp set up ready to go outside Gladstone, in Caliope. When Scott Morrison visited North QLD two weeks ago he and his Federal govt MP's actively campaigned against this idea, saying that it was "shifting a Brisbane problem to the bush".
Hmm, is this just your hyperbole again?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-20/ ... b/13069334
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 am The QLD State govt has a 2000 person former mining camp set up ready to go outside Gladstone, in Caliope. When Scott Morrison visited North QLD two weeks ago he and his Federal govt MP's actively campaigned against this idea, saying that it was "shifting a Brisbane problem to the bush".

Weird post. Your link to a single, random GP who opposes the Gladstone site does not refute anything I have said. Not your best right-wing troll work. Please try harder :thumbup:
Farva

Post by Farva »

I totally agree. Hotels aren't designed as quarantine centres. They dont have the ventilation and they are in large population centres. Surely that is common sense.

So AC has a point even if he is partisan around it. It should be owned by the federal government and managed in remote areas. Its a federal government responsibility that was passed on to the states. The states dont have the infrastructure to manage this properly and we are seeing the leaks, the feds do have that capability.

However, we are at the moment demonstrating world class management of this virus. We are largely free. A friend of mine in Holland has told me he is in lockdown until the vaccine is rolled out, so potentially months. And its level 4 Melbourne style. Colleagues in Germany are telling me the same thing. The Irish were astounded at what we were doing for contact tracing. Lets not lose sight of the fact that our leaders have led us incredibly well to an amazing position by comparison.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Farva wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 am I totally agree. Hotels aren't designed as quarantine centres. They dont have the ventilation and they are in large population centres. Surely that is common sense.

So AC has a point even if he is partisan around it. It should be owned by the federal government and managed in remote areas. Its a federal government responsibility that was passed on to the states. The states dont have the infrastructure to manage this properly and we are seeing the leaks, the feds do have that capability.

However, we are at the moment demonstrating world class management of this virus. We are largely free. A friend of mine in Holland has told me he is in lockdown until the vaccine is rolled out, so potentially months. And its level 4 Melbourne style. Colleagues in Germany are telling me the same thing. The Irish were astounded at what we were doing for contact tracing. Lets not lose sight of the fact that our leaders have led us incredibly well to an amazing position by comparison.
The positive news relating to how the states have managed the health side of this pandemic don't suit the negative narrative being run by conservative politicians and elements of the media. Victoria currently has 20 active cases, no ICU cases and no COVID-19 related deaths in 2021 yet News Ltd and right wing nutters like Clogs want a general election and Dan Andrews to be executed.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Clogs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 pm 2 cases. Both from households of currently infected people. Both people already in isolation on account of being close contacts. 24 000 odd tests. Over 100 000 tests since Friday.

But here we are. Locked down and no idea if we are free again on Thursday. Are businesses open again this weekend? Do they order stock and fresh produce? Do they wait?

What a clusterfvck.
Do you ever stop whinging mate?
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

trapper wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:21 am
Clogs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 pm 2 cases. Both from households of currently infected people. Both people already in isolation on account of being close contacts. 24 000 odd tests. Over 100 000 tests since Friday.

But here we are. Locked down and no idea if we are free again on Thursday. Are businesses open again this weekend? Do they order stock and fresh produce? Do they wait?

What a clusterfvck.
Do you ever stop whinging mate?
No, no he does not. He whinges about everything like the chicken running boer he is!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs loves these outbreaks, because whatever the outcome, he can whinge hysterically about the Andrews govt. If the numbers soar, he can whinge about how badly the govt is handling hotel quarantine and the overall health response. If the numbers stay low, he can whinge about the lockdown being a massive overreaction. Either way he whinges.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 am Clogs loves these outbreaks, because whatever the outcome, he can whinge hysterically about the Andrews govt. If the numbers soar, he can whinge about how badly the govt is handling hotel quarantine and the overall health response. If the numbers stay low, he can whinge about the lockdown being a massive overreaction. Either way he wins.
Fixed.
Sensible Stephen

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:03 am
Sensible Stephen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:39 am

Weird post. Your link to a single, random GP who opposes the Gladstone site does not refute anything I have said. Not your best right-wing troll work. Please try harder :thumbup:
If you bothered to read it properly...
Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said he was in favour of the idea
Sensible Stephen

Farva wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:09 am I totally agree. Hotels aren't designed as quarantine centres. They dont have the ventilation and they are in large population centres. Surely that is common sense.

Adelaide just opened its new 'gold standard' facility. Each room has its own individual split system, no interconnecting ducting. Great. But... the AC fans on the outside dump air onto King William street, where thousands of people walk past going to work each day... er....
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:22 am

Adelaide just opened its new 'gold standard' facility. Each room has its own individual split system, no interconnecting ducting. Great. But... the AC fans on the outside dump air onto King William street, where thousands of people walk past going to work each day... er....
Surely the AC's will have a HEPA filter which will filter out the virus? And then potentially aggregate and store the virus for the future?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:12 am

The positive news relating to how the states have managed the health side of this pandemic don't suit the negative narrative being run by conservative politicians and elements of the media. Victoria currently has 20 active cases, no ICU cases and no COVID-19 related deaths in 2021 yet News Ltd and right wing nutters like Clogs want a general election and Dan Andrews to be executed.

:lol:

But but NSW...

So it is negative narrative when someone other than yourself does it? When you do it, it is factual and completely devoid of political bias?

:lol:

How about this as a middle of the road compromise. Most on here have been doing exactly what you have described. The 'negative' narrative you describe is for many simply a frustration as a result of first hand experience in how their respective state government has handled things. I would far rather be in Queensland or Tasmania than in Victoria. That has nothing to do with geography and everything to do with how this pandemic has been managed. You say Victoria is doing brilliantly (whilst sitting comfortable up in Queensland). I and many other Victorians are pretty pissed off that we are all in lockdown again. Because of mismanagement. Not bad luck. And I think we are perfectly entitled to be pissed off. Mine and many many many other Victorian businesses are suffering. Because of mismanagement. Not bad luck. Victorian school kids are now probably a year behind their counterparts in other states. Because of mismanagement. Not bad luck.

But yeh, we should be cheering our State Government on for the great job they are doing.

No one knows what is going to happen tomorrow. What does Thursday look like for us? No one knows. There is just uncertainty. For all Victorians. And that is not positive. At all. I apologise for venting on here for those that I may have pissed off. It is a bit of a release valve and some of it is genuine piss taking and rolling with the trolling. A coping mechanism. But. It. Is. Not. Fvcking. Easy.
Sensible Stephen

Clogs wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:26 am

Surely the AC's will have a HEPA filter which will filter out the virus? And then potentially aggregate and store the virus for the future?
But then won't they make ducted systems safe too?

Just send them all out to the desert. Build an ICU ward out there too. I agree with AC that it should be Scotty leading this....

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... a06d99d960
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Andrews has received a nomination for the prestigious McKinnon prize for political leadership based on his “firm, decisive and courageous leadership” and the “brave approach” of taking unpopular decisions based on expert health advice... much to the outrage of the Murdoch press, Daily Mail and presumably Clogs...

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 572up.html

*Morrison has also been nominated.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Isn't AC airflow 'one way' (from outside to in)?

The outside exhaust air is just from the cooling of the condensors, I thought?
Sensible Stephen

shanky wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:20 am Isn't AC airflow 'one way' (from outside to in)?

I thought it was two way? I have no idea really though.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:27 am
shanky wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:20 am Isn't AC airflow 'one way' (from outside to in)?

Go and stand by the vent

if it's hot and dry, then I'm right, and you're perfectly safe

If, however, it's cold and damp. Then, I'm wrong :thumbup:
Sensible Stephen

shanky wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:30 am

Go and stand by the vent

Thanks, I now have covid.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:30 am
shanky wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:30 am

Go and stand by the vent

Thanks, I now have covid.
Internet life advice, is best advice. :smug:
kiap

Post by kiap »

Second point, yep, it's just heat exchange if it's a split system outside unit. No specific 'AC airflow' there.

Obviously would still need ventilation (airflow) somewhere else to duct out stale air and bring in fresh to breathe... + filtering there would be nice...

Both out-to-in, and in-to-out flows (otherwise it's either a pressure chamber or vacuum chamber).

Let's hope the powers-that-be are improving these quarantine facilities, though. They're currently not up to snuff for the infectious pommy and saffa variants. :nod:
shanky

Post by shanky »

kiap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Second point, yep, it's just heat exchange if it's a split system outside unit. No specific 'AC airflow' there.

Obviously would still need ventilation (airflow) somewhere else to duct out stale air and bring in fresh to breathe... + filtering there would be nice...

Both out-to-in, and in-to-out flows (otherwise it's either a pressure chamber or vacuum chamber).

Let's hope the powers-that-be are improving these quarantine facilities, though. They're currently not up to snuff for the infectious pommy and saffa variants. :nod:
Yeah, you’re right

Thinking on it, I reckon the air ‘exits’ from each room by going out the door and into the corridor.
Which doesn’t sound that great either. :lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Looks like the 5 day lockdowm will end, as scheduled, tonight. I wonder what Clogs will be whingeing about today? Not enough cases/deaths which means this lockdown was an overreaction?

Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Don't most aircon systems have a HEPA filter?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:50 pm Looks like the 5 day lockdowm will end, as scheduled, tonight. I wonder what Clogs will be whingeing about today? Not enough cases/deaths which means this lockdown was an overreaction?
I will remain consistent with my claim that this lockdown should not have happened at all. It was necessary due to yet another fvck up with managing hotel quarantine. I support the lockdown (but I don't have to like it). I don't support the mismanagement that led to the lockdown. The difference is subtle. Perhaps a bit too nuanced for some to understand?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:50 pm Looks like the 5 day lockdowm will end, as scheduled, tonight. I wonder what Clogs will be whingeing about today? Not enough cases/deaths which means this lockdown was an overreaction?
I will remain consistent with my claim that this lockdown should not have happened at all. It was necessary due to yet another fvck up with managing hotel quarantine. I support the lockdown (but I don't have to like it). I don't support the mismanagement that led to the lockdown. The difference is subtle. Perhaps a bit too nuanced for some to understand?
Really stupid post by the forum's most hysterical whinger. You've become a parody account.

Could you please point out places that have faultless HQ quarantine frameworks operating, because I would like to study what they do. Given you demand perfection from Victori's HQ, I assume you know a number of countries or jurisdictions where perfect HQ frameworks are operating? Thanks in advance for this list of places.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Someone has to have the worst HQ process Clogs.
Dan and the team unfortunately keep ensuring its Victoria.
But you’re up against some well run states.
Last edited by kiwigreg369 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:13 pm
Clogs wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 pm
Really stupid post by the forum's most hysterical whinger. You've become a parody account.

Could you please point out places that have faultless HQ quarantine frameworks operating, because I would like to study what they do. Given you demand perfection from Victori's HQ, I assume you know a number of countries or jurisdictions where perfect HQ frameworks are operating? Thanks in advance for this list of places.
Man your amped up hyperbole gets tiresome. Same old schtick. Rinse. Repeat.

I have not demanded perfection. I do expect better management. Learn from mistakes and improve.It just doesn't seem to be happening in Victoria.

Why is it that a HQ breach occurs 5 times more often in Victoria than in any other state?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 pm Why is it that a HQ breach occurs 5 times more often in Victoria than in any other state?
Did you just make that statistic up for trolling purposes? NSW had 200 cases over Christmas that all stemmed from HQ. Victoria has had 25 cases this year from HQ.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:10 am
Clogs wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 pm Why is it that a HQ breach occurs 5 times more often in Victoria than in any other state?
Did you just make that statistic up for trolling purposes? NSW had 200 cases over Christmas that all stemmed from HQ. Victoria has had 25 cases this year from HQ.
Zero new cases in Victoria, lockdown anticipated to end.

I wonder what the hysterical queen Clogs will have to say about that.
Farva

Post by Farva »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:33 pm Someone has to have the worst HQ process Clogs.
Dan and the team unfortunately keep ensuring its Victoria.
But you’re up against some well run states.
Im not convinced Vic is the worst.
Vic has had 40k people through its system, NSW has had 130k (give or take). However, we then stopped accepting people for the bulk of that period due to the extended lockdown. Since then we have been taking people in at a rate just below what NSW is doing. Given all other states and territories have taken in total 40k over the pandemic, they are not in the conversation.
NSW, for the first time in the pandemic, reached 28 days without an outbreak.
SA, WA and QLD, although taking 40k between them, have all had outbreaks.
Over Xmas Vic had an outbreak but that was due to people coming in from NSW and spreading as opposed to an outbreak. We had an outbreak in Vic at the start of the pandemic and that was not managed well, there was no lockdown until it was late in the piece and meant a 5 day one wouldn't work. We went down for 120 days.

One thing to think about now is that with the extent of the virus throughout Europe and the US, it is far more likely that people returning now will have Covid compared to 6 months ago. Something like 10% of all returned people will now be infected based on the extent of the disease overseas. That is far far more opportunities for the virus to get out. And also the virus is more infectious, something like 40% to 70% more so. We should expect far more outbreaks now than before.

I dont think Vic has done anything worse than the other states. There was bad luck at the start where Vic was the one that got hit hard - this could have happened in any state, most likely Vic and NSW given volume of returned people - and the other states quickly learned and ramped up contact tracing abilities and have reacted very cautiously.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I should add that Victoria's contact tracing system works. We managed the outbreak in early Jan without a lockdown. The reason for this lockdown has been explained. It is a more infectious strain and the contact tracing team is struggling to get ahead of the curve - they are finding that people have infected others before they could get to them, and while people are in isolation, that means there is a risk it wont be caught in someone who is not in quarantine, and that would be a disaster.
Farva

Post by Farva »

And we are out.
So this was similar to the Qld, SA and WA lockdown and not like the NSW one (targetted for certain areas but for several weeks).
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

1 breach can result in 20 000 cases and months of lockdown. It means the virus has infected someone that it wasn't supposed to. It may be a security guard, it may be a cleaner etc. That person can potentially go on and spread it amongst the community. You are confusing cases with breaches.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:20 am
1 breach can result in 20 000 cases and months of lockdown. It means the virus has infected someone that it wasn't supposed to. It may be a security guard, it may be a cleaner etc. That person can potentially go on and spread it amongst the community. You are confusing cases with breaches.
Clearly, you're the person who is confusing breeches with cases. NSW had multiple breeches over Christmas.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Farva - stout defence.
I continue to think Victoria’s HQ is the worst - but this is heavily weighted on the basis of the +700 deaths.

Clearly looking back platinum standard NSW isn’t clean either, but better that Victoria, of course.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 am Farva - stout defence.
I continue to think Victoria’s HQ is the worst - but this is heavily weighted on the basis of the +700 deaths.

Clearly looking back platinum standard NSW isn’t clean either, but better that Victoria, of course.
QLD has had just 6 deaths, five of which were passengers on the Gladys Princess, yet never gets a mention when it comes to precious metal standard?