Zakar

Re: Melbourne. Fvcked.

Post by Zakar »

Farva wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:28 am
Farva wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:35 am
Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:01 am
towny wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 am

Are people still dying from the flu? Where? How are they getting it?
I assume so. I've got the flu and I felt like death on the weekend. Covid free though so there is that.
Genuinely feck all flu cases at the moment.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-23/ ... a/12480190
That's not what that data says.

I'll take the point that there is fudge all flu deaths though.
It doesnt? The second graph shows the laboritory confirmed cases dropping significantly as we went in to isolation.
I appreciate that its an extrapolation that the drop was associated with a general drop and not solely driven by people not getting tested (it might partially but surely its not the only reason?), but figure that is one I was on reasonably firm ground making.
Have I misread that?

Who gets the flu confirmed by a lab? Only people in hospital.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:46 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:03 am
My guess is they have some sort of formula for their risk assessment......... However taking into account just how many vaccines there are in development they may be less inclined to take risks than they otherwise would have been.
So. Yes/no?
I don't have enough info to make that call. If you'd be kind enough to give me a list of the variables the experts use and the relevant numbers I'll give it a go.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:26 am
My guess is they have some sort of formula for their risk assessment......... However taking into account just how many vaccines there are in development they may be less inclined to take risks than they otherwise would have been.
So. Yes/no?
I don't have enough info to make that call. If you'd be kind enough to give me a list of the variables the experts use and the relevant numbers I'll give it a go.

It is hypothetical. Not real. There are no experts. It is a made up hypothetical exercise. Like a "You are driving a busload of pensioners, some kids ahead of you are crossing at a zebra crossing, your brakes have failed, if you swerve you plummet off the edge of the cliff, what do you do?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

And don't ask for the model of the bus or it's registration number. :frown:
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Story might be elsewhere:

https://principia-scientific.com/sweden ... -victory/?

Sweden, With No Lockdown Or Masks, Claims COVID-19 Victory

Published on September 8, 2020

Written by Steve Watson

As the rest of Europe and the world remains under the grip of draconian rules and the threat of new lockdowns, Sweden, which allowed its citizens to remain free throughout the entire pandemic, has pretty much declared victory over the coronavirus.

The country now has one of the lowest infection rates on the planet, and it’s difficult not to admire how it has handled the past year, with no strict lockdown or compulsory face mask rules. All businesses, schools and public places remained open in Sweden for the duration.

“Sweden Has Gone From Being The Country With The Most Infections In Europe To The Safest One,” Sweden’s Senior Epidemiologist Dr. Anders Tegnell Commented To Italian Newspaper Corriere Della Sera.
“What we see now is that the sustainable policy might be slower in getting results, but it will get results eventually,” Tegnell clarified. “And then we also hope that the result will be more stable,” he added.

Tegnell previously warned that encouraging people to wear face masks is “very dangerous” because it gives a false sense of security but does not effectively stem the spread of the virus.

“The findings that have been produced through face masks are astonishingly weak, even though so many people around the world wear them,” Tengell has urged.

Last week, the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control confirmed Sweden’s drop in infection rate, with only 12 cases per million, compared to 18 in neighbouring Denmark and 14 in nearby Norway.

At the peak of the Sweden’s outbreak, it was seeing 108 new infections per million people, as it pursued a “herd immunity” strategy.

The figures also show that out of 2500 randomly selected and tested people in Sweden, none tested positive, compared to 0.9 percent positive in April, and 0.3 percent in May.

“We interpret this as meaning there is not currently a widespread infection among people who do not have symptoms,” said Karin Tegmark, deputy head of the Public Health Agency of Sweden.

When compared to the rest of Europe, Sweden’s death rate sits somewhere in the middle. However, officials are confident that playing the long game will see this improve drastically.

Read more at summit.news
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:19 am
So. Yes/no?

It is hypothetical. Not real. There are no experts. It is a made up hypothetical exercise. Like a "You are driving a busload of pensioners, some kids ahead of you are crossing at a zebra crossing, your brakes have failed, if you swerve you plummet off the edge of the cliff, what do you do?

Totally different type of scenario.the first one almost certainly has weil developed protocols
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 am
Clogs wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:19 am
So. Yes/no?

Totally different type of scenario.the first one almost certainly has weil developed protocols

:mad: :mad:

Now you have me thinking about this hypothetical.

You are jumping out of an airplane. You have a parachute, but it doesn't work.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Zakar wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:11 am

I assume so. I've got the flu and I felt like death on the weekend. Covid free though so there is that.

It doesnt? The second graph shows the laboritory confirmed cases dropping significantly as we went in to isolation.
I appreciate that its an extrapolation that the drop was associated with a general drop and not solely driven by people not getting tested (it might partially but surely its not the only reason?), but figure that is one I was on reasonably firm ground making.
Have I misread that?

Well yeah, I totally agree with you. But that hasn’t changed between last year and this. I think it fair to assume that the number of flu cases can be assumed to be proportional to the numbers that end up in hospital.
Cases are right down from last year, there are bugger all cases.
That isn’t to say you didn’t have it.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Farva wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:15 pm

Have I misread that?

Well yeah, I totally agree with you. But that hasn’t changed between last year and this. I think it fair to assume that the number of flu cases can be assumed to be proportional to the numbers that end up in hospital.
Cases are right down from last year, there are bugger all cases.
That isn’t to say you didn’t have it.

Or at risk people are being more careful? So therefore the proportions are screwed?

I do believe that the regular flu would be reduced though, I just don't think by the levels described in that graph.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Of course there would be less flu cases as well. In fact, flu cases should be less than Covid cases because the flu isn't asymptomatic.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Terrible story today about the 39 year old father dying in Brisbane and they won't let his young kids in to say goodbye to him

The Qld Health Department said he had to 'pick one child' who could come and say goodbye....

Absolute disgrace. Palaszcuk showing political cowardice by blaming the CMO for the decision.

Meanwhile, the AFL and their families are allowed in.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/annas ... 6bc1810380
Farva

Post by Farva »

I tend to agree Shanky. There is one thing having a hard nose for travel, but there are compassionate reasons to relax that stance at times. Surely they can manage one family for a short period?
The AFL thing is a bit of a joke to be honest. They have sent a huge contingent up, taking grandparents, wifes, girlfriends, etc. It looks to be just a holiday trip to get around restrictions, at the AFLs expense.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Farva wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:24 am I tend to agree Shanky. There is one thing having a hard nose for travel, but there are compassionate reasons to relax that stance at times. Surely they can manage one family for a short period?
The AFL thing is a bit of a joke to be honest. They have sent a huge contingent up, taking grandparents, wifes, girlfriends, etc. It looks to be just a holiday trip to get around restrictions, at the AFLs expense.
Look the whole 'restrictions' thing is rife with contradictions anyway (kids have to sit apart on the school bus, but together in class) - and some of those are because of the realities of trying to keep society functioning.

But why not accept that as a reality? Make decisions based on common sense.
Instead, we continue with the pretence there's this golden book of immutable rules. Most people can see right through it anyway.

(And before anyone arcs up...NSW does too - school sport cancelled, but community sport is not?)
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:58 am Terrible story today about the 39 year old father dying in Brisbane and they won't let his young kids in to say goodbye to him

The Qld Health Department said he had to 'pick one child' who could come and say goodbye....

Absolute disgrace. Palaszcuk showing political cowardice by blaming the CMO for the decision.

I see she is accusing ScoMo of "bullying" her to let someone go to a funeral, as well.

The only refreshing thing about today was Dan the Man squarely saying the gov't decided to have the curfew, and he accepts responsibility as leader of it.

How soon can labour get him into federal parliament?

PS: he'd get more votes if he wore a tie.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

shanky wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:58 am Terrible story today about the 39 year old father dying in Brisbane and they won't let his young kids in to say goodbye to him

Yeah nah she's trolling

in respect of Qld Chief Health Officer ‘thinks she is the Premier’.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ellafan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 am

I see she is accusing ScoMo of "bullying" her to let someone go to a funeral, as well.

The only refreshing thing about today was Dan the Man squarely saying the gov't decided to have the curfew, and he accepts responsibility as leader of it.

How soon can labour get him into federal parliament?

PS: he'd get more votes if he wore a tie.
And he'd get even more if he occasionally announced indisputably good news rather than slightly-less-dire news. But that's the gig he's got.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

She is, of course, damned whatever she does. Should she only follow Qld Health recommendations when it suits?

Presumably on Qld Health Department advice. Her crime seems to be in being consistent.

As an afterthought, lest I be accused of heartlessness, might I make the observation that we are in a war right now, unless and until one or more vaccines are found we do not know exactly how long our trials will last.

What I do know, however, is that it is easy to criticise others. The State Premiers all have very heavy weights on their shoulders- life and death sized weights. I wonder how Scotty would go in a real war, when he bears the burden of life and death decisions.

I cannot help but remember the night 12 years ago when my neighbour received the midnight knock on the door - it was the Defence Force coming to tell her that her son had just been killed in Afghanistan. I do not remember any public tears from politicians - no debates about the morality, or who made what decisions on what grounds. It was a war. He was just collateral damage, I guess.

Fark me; let us keep a sense of perspective. People die all the time, sometimes everything is neat and tidy and goes the way we would all like it to. Sometimes it is a shambles and people carry the scars for the rest of their lives. My mother dropped dead when I was in my twenties. Nothing anybody could do about it. That's life.
shanky

Post by shanky »

wamberal wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 am

She is, of course, damned whatever she does. Should she only follow Qld Health recommendations when it suits?

Presumably on Qld Health Department advice. Her crime seems to be in being consistent.

As an afterthought, lest I be accused of heartlessness, might I make the observation that we are in a war right now, unless and until one or more vaccines are found we do not know exactly how long our trials will last.

What I do know, however, is that it is easy to criticise others. The State Premiers all have very heavy weights on their shoulders- life and death sized weights. I wonder how Scotty would go in a real war, when he bears the burden of life and death decisions.

I cannot help but remember the night 12 years ago when my neighbour received the midnight knock on the door - it was the Defence Force coming to tell her that her son had just been killed in Afghanistan. I do not remember any public tears from politicians - no debates about the morality, or who made what decisions on what grounds. It was a war. He was just collateral damage, I guess.

Fark me; let us keep a sense of perspective. People die all the time, sometimes everything is neat and tidy and goes the way we would all like it to. Sometimes it is a shambles and people carry the scars for the rest of their lives. My mother dropped dead when I was in my twenties. Nothing anybody could do about it. That's life.
Well, I couldn't disagree more.

Did Tom Hanks 'need' to come into QLD during this unrpecedented time?

Did AFL families 'need' to join their players?

We're talking about 4 kids under the age of 10. Hardly hordes of pestilent humans. Hiding behind 'rules' is bollocks.
:thumbdown:
towny

Post by towny »

But we aren’t at war right now. So, your whole point is irrelevant.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Can someone give us the lowdown on interstate travel? If I go to Melbourne do I have to quarantine when I come back? Are we even allowed to leave our respective states?
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:42 am Can someone give us the lowdown on interstate travel? If I go to Melbourne do I have to quarantine when I come back? Are we even allowed to leave our respective states?
- Open internet

- Google Victoria covid 19 restrictions

- read official gov't info page

- then do same for your home state.

The permutations are such that individual info beyond what you would post here is needed.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I would go with no
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ellafan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:58 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:42 am Can someone give us the lowdown on interstate travel? If I go to Melbourne do I have to quarantine when I come back? Are we even allowed to leave our respective states?
- Open internet

The permutations are such that individual info beyond what you would post here is needed.
Thought there was someone in the know in this place.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:21 am I would go with no
:thumbup:
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 am
Ellafan wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:58 am
- Open internet

Thought there was someone in the know in this place.
Let's just say a compelling need for a special dispensation may get in the way.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:24 am
I should add I am fairly unreliable in most matters
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Clogs wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am Bit of a bummer that the Oxford vaccine has hit a bit of a hurdle. Hope it is a random outlier that doesn't derail it.

It does however pose an interesting hypothetical dilemma. What if the vaccine caused an adverse (deadly) reaction in 1 in 500 000 people. It would kill that person but save the 499 999 others. Would you be prepared to support widespread roll out?
Oxford University to resume vaccine trial after pause

Trials of a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University will resume after it was paused due to a reported side effect in a patient in the UK.

On Tuesday, AstraZeneca said the studies were being paused while it investigated whether the reported side effect was connected with the vaccine.

But on Saturday, Oxford University said it had been deemed safe to continue.

The vaccine is seen as a strong contender among dozens being developed.

Oxford University said in a statement that it was "expected" that "some participants will become unwell" in large trials such as this one.

The government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, echoed this view, telling a Downing Street press conference on Wednesday what had happened in the Oxford trial was not unusual.

The university added that the studies could now resume following the recommendations of an independent safety review committee and the UK regulator, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency.

Writing on Twitter, Health Secretary Matt Hancock welcomed the news of the trials restarting, adding: "This pause shows we will always put safety first. We will back our scientists to deliver an effective vaccine as soon as safely possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54132066
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 am
I take unreliable over fake news any day.
You're not Q are you?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:45 pm
EverReady wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 am
I take unreliable over fake news any day.
You're not Q are you?
I may have started that shit talking on the Trump thread a few years ago
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:37 pm
Clogs wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am Bit of a bummer that the Oxford vaccine has hit a bit of a hurdle. Hope it is a random outlier that doesn't derail it.

It does however pose an interesting hypothetical dilemma. What if the vaccine caused an adverse (deadly) reaction in 1 in 500 000 people. It would kill that person but save the 499 999 others. Would you be prepared to support widespread roll out?
Oxford University to resume vaccine trial after pause

Trials of a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University will resume after it was paused due to a reported side effect in a patient in the UK.

On Tuesday, AstraZeneca said the studies were being paused while it investigated whether the reported side effect was connected with the vaccine.

But on Saturday, Oxford University said it had been deemed safe to continue.

The vaccine is seen as a strong contender among dozens being developed.

Oxford University said in a statement that it was "expected" that "some participants will become unwell" in large trials such as this one.

The government's chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, echoed this view, telling a Downing Street press conference on Wednesday what had happened in the Oxford trial was not unusual.

The university added that the studies could now resume following the recommendations of an independent safety review committee and the UK regulator, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency.

Writing on Twitter, Health Secretary Matt Hancock welcomed the news of the trials restarting, adding: "This pause shows we will always put safety first. We will back our scientists to deliver an effective vaccine as soon as safely possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54132066

Good news.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Have I misread that?

Probably the same proportion of people who did before isolation. I assume the flu cases before and after lockdown are proportional to the number of lab cases.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Great post wambers. Possibly your best yet on this bored.

And sorry for your loss.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

What ever anyone says this isn’t normal in a free democracy. Someone in Victoria is getting this very wrong.

https://twitter.com/GemmaTognini/status ... 3922661377
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

bimboman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:00 pm What ever anyone says this isn’t normal in a free democracy. Someone in Victoria is getting this very wrong.

https://twitter.com/GemmaTognini/status ... 3922661377
Yes, a group of pro-plaguers disrupting the market traders and wasting police resources is very wrong...
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

C'mon down. I will meet you at the airport if you like. Carry a sign with you so I know who you are. A simple sign. Something like: "Hi Dan, I'm here,come and get me" (my other nickname is Dan). Post on Facebook when you are arriving.
Last edited by Clogs on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

This bloke had apparently strayed 200 meters outside his 5 kilometre containment zone and only had 3 forms of ID (instead of the required 5).

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... 696a85aae3

Saw this second story.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victor ... c4873a2865

This may or may not be true. It may or may not also be my first attempt at fake news. It is also highly unlikely that this is true.

Also, this is not true he got his head stomped for some other nonsense. But he did get his head stomped by our boys in blue.

Also, another thought just popped into my head. I hope to god this guy isn't Aboriginal.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I'm scared already. It sounds like East Germany and the Stasi all over again. I'd rather stay here in the West, drink Coke and listen to heavy metal on my Ghettoblaster.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Stay safe comrade Clogs.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Mr Atkins was being treated at the Northern Hospital in Epping for a bipolar episode this weekend when he fled, prompting staff who feared for his safety to call police.
The second video shows a police vehicle deliberately running him down (after it had first stopped).
“Upon arrival the man allegedly became aggressive and damaged a police vehicle whilst attempting to avoid arrest,” Victoria Police said.
This is the sort of nonsense that went on 60 years ago.
Mr Atkins’ distraught father, Glenn Atkins, said he was devastated by the incident, calling it “disgusting” and revealing his son is now in a coma as a result of the incident.
If this is real (and it looks real enough), then the person driving the police car should be charged with a high level offense (e.g. the Victorian equivalent of culpable driving), and if convicted, should go to jail. The others should be on serious assault charges. and all of them should be dismissed from the police force forthwith, regardless of the eventual criminal court outcomes.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

CrazyIslander wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:33 am I'm scared already. It sounds like East Germany and the Stasi all over again. I'd rather stay here in the West, drink Coke and listen to heavy metal on my Ghettoblaster.
Haha. It sounds scary but really isn't like that. As long as you aren't further than 5 ks from your home of course. Or as long as you aren't outside for longer than 60 minutes a day. Of course. And if the police ask for your phone you have to give it to them. Immediately. Of course. Otherwise life is all good here in Victoria.