Melbourne. Fvcked.

All things Rugby
Farva

Re: Melbourne. Fvcked.

Post by Farva »

Anyway, Dan saying it’s now impossible to meet the target. So we wait to see what the new dates will be.
He will need to do it today, business needs certainty
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:58 am Anyway, Dan saying it’s now impossible to meet the target. So we wait to see what the new dates will be.
He will need to do it today, business needs certainty
Yep. To quote a champion: "4 more years boys, 4 more years..."
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:45 am If it’s voluntary people will probably do it, well same people. That’s not what was suggested, it was an opt out system. That won’t work.
Not enough people will opt in - no chance! We don’t let people opt in to lots of important things. On the contrary, when public safety is at stake we make compliance mandatory.
Do you think the right of ‘choice’ is more important community health?

If you had a ‘principle stack’ - that is, an order of priorities that you would you not compromise for something lower on the stack - what is your highest principle? On that stack, where does the economy stand, where does society’s health stand and where does privacy stand. If you say privacy is higher than the others, I’ll presume to have few apps on your phone, and doubt whether you’d own a mobile phone at all.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I think privacy ranks at the bottom and I largely don’t care if the govt drops something on my phone to track me.
I also agree with you that an opt in system won’t work as it won’t get the uptake. Maybe 30% of people will do it?
But my point was that this will never happen, it’s a dream to suggest it will. Remember the outcry when Apple dropped that U2 song on everyone’s phone? That will be a firecracker compared to Hiroshima if they force an app to track people’s movements.
I know You know this.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I think privacy ranks at the bottom and I largely don’t care if the govt drops something on my phone to track me
Do you always think your government will be benign ?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

news.com.au OCTOBER 12, 2020 6:23AM
LIVE Last updated October 12, 2020 8:37AM AEDT
Video
NEWS.COM.AU0:57
Epidemiologist explains how Sydney can afford Melbourne's fate (ABC)
Epidemiologist Tony Blakely has told ABC News Breakfast Australia will continue to experience COVID-19 outbreaks before a vaccine is developed.
A number of Victoria's coronavirus restrictions are likely to be removed faster than expected despite the state failing to meet its ambitious case number targets.

Under Premier Daniel Andrews’ road map to recovery, the state required an average of five cases over two weeks to move into step three – but as of yesterday, the average was more than double at 9.6.

However, Mr Andrews told reporters on Sunday it was “mathematically impossible” to meet that goal, and that some restrictions would soon be eased regardless.

“I don’t think we’re able to get as far and as fast as we hoped but there will be significant changes,” he said.

“I don’t want to do a big laundry list … but everything is on the table.

“A whole lot of outdoor activity is on the table and we will also spend quite a bit of time thinking about what’s a safe group size for people outside to be able to join each other to be part of the things we crave the most. That’s the connections that we’ve been deprived of.”

A string of rules may be relaxed as soon as next Sunday, according to the Herald Sun, including allowing groups of 10 to gather outside and five within private homes.

Mr Andrews also hinted that dropping the divisive 5km rule was “on the table”.

“It does absolutely limit the amount of movement and it’s had a very important impact,” he said.

“But that’s on the table along with a whole lot of outdoor activity and we’ll also spend a lot of time thinking about what is a safe group size for people outside to be able to join each other.”

Follow our live coronavirus updates below.

Live Updates
3m agoOctober 12, 2020
HIGHLIGHT
Doctors demand end to 'negative' lockdown

Alexis Carey
A group of medical professionals have penned an open letter calling for Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews to end the state's lockdown.

The group argue the harsh restrictions are more harmful than the virus itself in many cases.

"The current restrictions are unnecessary, disproportionate and must be lifted," the letter reads.

"The response to the virus will cause more deaths and result in far more negative health effects than the virus itself."

Doctor Eamonn Mathieson was one of 500 doctors who signed the letter, and he told Sunrise this morning he believed the lockdown had caused "a massive collateral damage in health and mental health".

"There (is) a growing number of doctors who are gravely concerned about the impact of this lockdowns and we are calling for them to cease. "We believe that they are disproportionate and unscientific. We have the evidence to back this up and we will be presenting at on our new website and calling for more doctors to join us."
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

A difficult bit of data to pin down. And a challenge. Can anyone find the Australian average age of death by/from/with Covid?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Uhoh...
Chris Eccles, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews' top bureaucrat resigns

Mr Eccles said he did not want to be a distraction to the work of the Victorian public service.(COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Inquiry)

The secretary of Victoria's Department of Premier and Cabinet Chris Eccles has resigned, saying he feels staying in the position would be a "significant distraction to the ongoing work of the Victorian public sector".

Mr Eccles fronted the state's hotel quarantine inquiry in September, and said neither he nor the Premier's department made the decision to use private security in the program.

The inquiry heard that on March 27, the day that the hotel quarantine program was set up, then chief police commissioner Graham Ashton texted Mr Eccles at 1:16pm and that the senior bureaucrat could not recall calling him back.

But in his resignation statement today, Mr Eccles revealed that phone records showed he called Mr Ashton for two minutes at 1:17pm that day.

"There has been much commentary and speculation about whether I or anyone else at [the Department of Premier and Cabinet] spoke to Mr Ashton during that narrow timeframe on 27 March," Mr Eccles said in his resignation statement.

"It is now evident I did."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-12/ ... s/12753610
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Oh Melbourne, you’ve been so patient. It’s been more than three months since we first went into what was supposed to be a six-week lockdown. Remember the first time we pencilled the escape date into our calendars? We were giving up our freedoms to save lives. We have been united for a truly noble cause.

But here we are again, eyeing yet another date on the calendar when we might be released – or then again, maybe not. The numbers that horrified us when they climbed from 5 to 725 in two months now just taunt us, remaining stubbornly higher than the five-a-day threshold that might unlock the heady freedoms of step three: walking into shops, ordering a meal, travelling to another suburb for no reason at all.

The rolling fortnightly average has been hovering around 10, so people are already adjusting their expectations as the numbers jump around, fuelled by little clusters around the city's shops and hospitals.

We’ve become accustomed to disappointment, but this week has been hard. Even expressing how fed up we are is difficult when feelings run so hot – someone reminds us to buck up and stay the course or they launch a jeremiad about how all restrictions are a dictatorial disgrace. Everyone in Melbourne should be allowed a moment to be gloomy without having to justify themselves.

We shared the first lockdown not only with the nation but with friends worldwide. This time, Melburnians have been cut off from the rest of the world and even each other. Fellow Australians remark airily on our predicament as if it were some character failing, politicians across borders exploit fears of "the Melbourne virus" in ways that will create lasting resentments. It’s been divisive, exhausting and dull.

We are grateful for small things: the crime tape removed from the playgrounds, the chance for five friends to eat sandwiches in the park without getting arrested. But lockdown without a parole date is taking its toll, especially on those caught in the undertow of anxiety about their livelihood, rent and future.

There was a rush to book haircuts and holidays as the numbers plunged, a testimony to the city’s willingness to do what it takes to battle the virus. But now families discuss the possibility they won’t see each other at Christmas time – not if a stubborn strain of infection keeps Melbourne's barricades mounted.

The Premier has been acknowledging as much. "I get it," he said at Wednesday's press conference. "Everyone is on a countdown. When it's safe to take a step, we will. We can't predict what tomorrow's numbers will look like, let alone another 12 or 14 days on."

Andrews has indicated he probably will let us take baby steps out of lockdown even if the numbers remain higher, but won't say which steps or when.

"I know that's frustrating. I know that's very challenging," he said on Thursday. "But we will have more to say in the days and weeks to come about what the rest of this year looks like."

In weeks to come. Even some of the keenest supporters have started to ask, when daily numbers are so low, if contact tracers and social distancing regulations couldn't keep 10 or so infections a day contained.

Opening up depends on the story behind the numbers: are they all in known outbreaks in aged care or hospitals or out in the community? If there are no mystery cases, maybe there’ll be some changes anyway. Which changes come when we don’t know, though Professor Sutton seems unenthusiastic about removing our 5-kilometre leash any time soon.

Other cities have tackled second surges – Singapore, Seoul – but they still record daily tallies in double digits as infections flare at schools or clubs or dorms. Melbourne has a tougher challenge, rooting out a strain seeded in the ranks of essential workers as we aim to drag our numbers down to match the rest of Australia's.

Andrews and Sutton insist they are not pursuing an elimination strategy – there will always be outbreaks – but they are aiming for numbers so low even the epidemiologists aren’t sure we can get there. The recent outbreaks have been triggered by people going to their jobs or making unwitting mistakes.

In a city of almost 5 million, not everyone will behave impeccably all the time. Even the most compliant may play a little loose with the thousand rules – visit the shops twice! stay out for two and a half hours! – but any infectious episode could jack a daily number above five.

Containing coronavirus is like trying to lock smoke in a box; it seeps through any cracks. Stay the course? There is nothing more we can do now to lower the daily average.

Staying home all day won’t stop a cleaner working a shift, won’t stop a nurse checking a patient, won’t stop a weary traveller ordering a meal. We’re played out and worn out. Like dogs who’ve been taught to sit and stay, there’s only so long before someone has to throw us a bone.

Michelle Griffin is a senior writer.

https://eur06.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

A difficult bit of data to pin down. And a challenge. Can anyone find the Australian average age of death by/from/with Covid?

Anyone?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Clogs wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am A difficult bit of data to pin down. And a challenge. Can anyone find the Australian average age of death by/from/with Covid?

Anyone?
Not seen that any where, but the ABC website has a graphic denoting deaths by age cohort. Counting the little boxes (an arsepain) shows 688 of 898 deaths were of folk 80 or over, i.e. a smidge over 76%.

At the other end of the (chronological) scale, 20 deaths were of folk under 60 with no actual children (i.e. minors) dying.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

MungoMan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:14 am
Clogs wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 am A difficult bit of data to pin down. And a challenge. Can anyone find the Australian average age of death by/from/with Covid?

Anyone?
Not seen that any where, but the ABC website has a graphic denoting deaths by age cohort. Counting the little boxes (an arsepain) shows 688 of 898 deaths were of folk 80 or over, i.e. a smidge over 76%.

At the other end of the (chronological) scale, 20 deaths were of folk under 60 with no actual children (i.e. minors) dying.
It is a bit odd isn't it? Surely it should be a very simple detail that is easily calculated?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Clogs wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:41 am
MungoMan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:14 am

Anyone?

It is a bit odd isn't it? Surely it should be a very simple detail that is easily calculated?
Yes, assuming the exact age (in years) of each person who died was available to whoever was doing the calculation. I have no idea which single agency / whatever would have that level of detail.
towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 pm I think privacy ranks at the bottom and I largely don’t care if the govt drops something on my phone to track me.
I also agree with you that an opt in system won’t work as it won’t get the uptake. Maybe 30% of people will do it?
But my point was that this will never happen, it’s a dream to suggest it will. Remember the outcry when Apple dropped that U2 song on everyone’s phone? That will be a firecracker compared to Hiroshima if they force an app to track people’s movements.
I know You know this.
You know I know what, exactly?

Firstly, Apple and Google didn't create an app - they created an API that enables all IOS and Android phones to know what other phones they come within a certain proximity to. It does NOT share personal information with anyone whatsoever. If person A is next to person B on a train on Tuesday, and on Wednesday Person B gets a positive result and registers it on their phone (in an app created by the Govt), then Person A would get a notification that they are at risk and should isolate and get tested.

Secondly, the technology that Apple and Google have created will not let a Govt (or Company such as Apple or Google) track the location of users. Having said that, I would guess that Google and Apple know where most of us are anyway through other apps, but the tech Apple and Google have created for this solution not provide such capability. There is a privacy risk but it is does not include tracking individuals.

Thirdly, I don't remember an outcry when Apple put a shitty U2 song on phones - I guess it was a smallish outcry that was created by poor communication.

Fourthly, having the world's economy is ruins and a population that's in genuine fear from a deadly pandemic…... I would suggest that now is a good time for people to re-assess their priorities. Anyone who says they're not willing to reconsider some principles they held in 2019 is probably lying.

There is a potential tool that would significantly help - But we can't have this discussion unless people stop talking bullshit, and instead read the details before jumping to wrong conclusions. There will be a genuine trade-off, but people should at least know what the choice is about before they write sanctimonious shit like they're experts.

I know you know this…..
Farva

Post by Farva »

Mate. It’s not the software. It’s the compulsory nature of it. That won’t fly. That will be suicide for any leader suggesting it.
Governments saying you must download this program won’t get over the line. I don’t have an issue with it but many will.
Farva

Post by Farva »

towny

Post by towny »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:42 am Mate. It’s not the software. It’s the compulsory nature of it. That won’t fly. That will be suicide for any leader suggesting it.
Governments saying you must download this program won’t get over the line. I don’t have an issue with it but many will.
They will have an issue because of...…. ?

People's ignorance and the government's lack of capability in communicating policy, cannot be an excuse to give up. I Believe a half-competent government could make this work. Having said that, Google and Apple would need to give up their demand that it remain an 'opt-in' model. That's the issue right there.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Brett Sutton to consider requesting phone records after Shepparton outbreak
Victorian authorities can “request almost anything” to make sure positive cases are telling the truth about where they are, Brett Sutton says.
Authorities will consider requesting phone records and work logs to make sure positive cases are telling the truth, Victoria’s chief health officer Brett Sutton says.

The issue was thrust into the spotlight on Wednesday morning after a truck driver who tested positive did not inform contact tracers he had been to Shepparton until a fortnight after his visit.

The Department of Health and Human Services will now conduct a massive testing blitz of the regional Victorian city after three cases were identified late on Tuesday.

The truck driver, who is connected to the Chadstone cluster, spread the virus to Kilmore and now Shepparton after travelling from Melbourne into regional Victoria with a valid work permit.

He didn’t know he was a close contact or positive when he travelled.

When asked on Wednesday if phone, truck or work logs could be requested from the start of contact tracing to make sure people were telling the truth, Professor Sutton said it would be considered.

“If we have to interrogate, those powers are available,” he said.

“We will use whatever tools are available if there is a need to interrogate further.

“I can request almost anything for the purpose of determining public health risk.”

Prof Sutton said he could then share that information, such as number plate details, with other agencies, including police, to help track movements and determining the risk to public health.

“We will have to use every tool at our disposal,” Prof Sutton said.

“Of course we rely on people to tell the truth. We really emphasise how critical that is.

“The reality is, if there is another cluster that emerges and someone says ‘I saw X, Y and Z’ you will be found out. There is no reason not to tell absolutely every truthful element about where you have been, whether or not you have been working on particular days and where, and all of your close contacts.
So they can basically use whatever tools they have at their disposal now including tracking your location. An app would just speed the process up.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

6. New. Cases.

We still have no idea where we are going from here. No communication. No roadmap. No idea. Just 'hints'.

Which for mine says that if you have no idea what you are going to do today, then how is waiting until Sunday going to change things? It is wait 'til the last minute for the last gasp hail mary stuff.

Hardly inspiring. More like insipid.

Give us certainty FFS!
Farva

Post by Farva »

Clogs wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 pm 6. New. Cases.

We still have no idea where we are going from here. No communication. No roadmap. No idea. Just 'hints'.

Which for mine says that if you have no idea what you are going to do today, then how is waiting until Sunday going to change things? It is wait 'til the last minute for the last gasp hail mary stuff.

Give us certainty FFS!
Im with you there Clogs, businesses were expecting to open Monday. They need to know ahead of time to ramp up staff for this. If its Sunday afternoon we find out then no-one will open Monday.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:11 pm
Clogs wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 pm 6. New. Cases.

Give us certainty FFS!
Im with you there Clogs, businesses were expecting to open Monday. They need to know ahead of time to ramp up staff for this. If its Sunday afternoon we find out then no-one will open Monday.
It must be so frustrating if you are in hospitality. Do you order stock or wait? Can you get staff on short notice etc?

Dan is dithering now. We are not suddenly going to get 100 cases overnight. And if we cannot effectively manage 2 -3 community transmissions through contact tracing then we have wasted our time and money and mental health in lockdown.

Victorian school kids are going to be almost a year behind their counterparts in other states as a result.

But yeh, wait til Sunday and I will reveal all.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Victoria's finest deserve a medal or something for such remarkable restraint. No head kicking or hand cuffs were used in the making of this film...

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 939f5cf67e
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

There has been an outbreak in Shepparton as a result of the Chadstone cluster. Victorian officials respond immediately!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-15/ ... n/12767340
Shepparton coronavirus testing facilities overwhelmed but officials promise more capacity will be available soon
Posted 2hhours ago, updated 1hhour ago
Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
WATCH
Duration: 28 seconds28s

Shepparton residents say they were turned away at COVID-19 testing sites due to overwhelming queue.

Victorian health officials have been overwhelmed by the demand for coronavirus testing in Shepparton, in northern Victoria, where three cases of COVID-19 have been identified.

Key points:
Three positive cases in the northern Victorian city have prompted hundreds to try to get tested
Jeroen Weimar apologised for delays and said more testing resources would be in place as soon as possible
Local residents are bitterly disappointed at the outbreak saying just one "intruder" has caused havoc
Jeroen Weimar, the commander of COVID-19 testing in the Department of Health and Human Services, apologised to residents who were turned away yesterday.

Some of them had been queuing for hours in hot, sunny conditions.

He said there would be more capacity for testing today, with another drive-through site being set up at the Shepparton Sports Precinct.

"I'd love to thank everybody who came forward in Shepparton to get tested," he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

"My huge thanks, and I know it was a long wait in the sun, and for others, they may not be able to get tested today.

"I do apologise. We're working as fast as we can."

A picture of Andrew Garner wearing a mask lining up to be tested for coronavirus in Shepparton.
Andrew Garner is one of many people who lined up in the early hours of Thursday morning in Shepparton to be tested for coronavirus.(ABC News: Jackson Peck)
Shepparton man Andrew Garner was the first to be tested in Shepparton this morning, and said he'd been waiting in line since before sunrise.

"I got here about 10:30 yesterday [morning] and waited for about five-and-a-half hours in the heat only to be turned away," he said.

"I am normally a shift worker so I got up early and thought I'd get here first thing and get it done as soon as they open up."

Nine Australian Defence Force (ADF) officers and the Ballarat Rapid Response Team are being brought in to assist with the testing and there will be extended hours at the GP Respiratory Clinic as well.

Goulburn Valley Health's chief executive officer Matt Sharp said testing teams that were in Kilmore after an outbreak at a local cafe were returning to Shepparton to boost capacity.

"We've also called in additional support from our neighbouring health services as far away as Wangaratta to come and help support that testing uplift," he said.

Mr Weimar is urging anyone who went to any of the locations visited by the Melbourne man, who was unknowingly infected, to get tested.

High-risk locations in Shepparton:
Central Tyre Service, Welsford Street, Shepparton, from Wednesday September 30 to Tuesday October 13
Mooroopna Golf Club Members Bar, Sunday October 4 and Sunday October 11
Shepparton Market Place Medical Centre, Midland Highway, Shepparton, Thursday October 8 9:15am - 10:15am
Thai Orchid Restaurant, Nixon Street, Shepparton, on Wednesday October 7 from 7:00pm
Bombshell Hairdressing, Fryers Street, Shepparton, on Wednesday October 7 after 9:30am
Casual contact locations in Shepparton:
Bunnings Warehouse, Midland Highway, Shepparton, Wednesday September 30
McDonalds Shepparton North, 169-175 Numurkah Road Shepparton, Saturday October 3
Lemon Tree Cafe, Fryers Street Shepparton, October 7 to 12
Mooroopna Golf Club Pro Shop, Sunday October 11
Updated 2:55pm October 14, 2020

That man, who had a work permit to visit regional Victoria, was linked to an outbreak at the Chadstone Shopping Centre but did not initially disclose his visit to Shepparton during the first interview with contact tracers.

"If you were at those locations in that time window then we'd ask you to come and get tested regardless of how you feel," Mr Weimar said.

The matter has been referred to the compliance unit of the health department, which is providing information to Victoria Police.

A photo of people lining up early to be tested for coronavirus in Shepparton.
People lined up from the early hours on Thursday morning in Shepparton to get tested for coronavirus.(ABC News: Jackson Peck)
Testing sites hit capacity
Farmer Alan Shielde, who went Central Tyre Service during the risk period, was angry he could not get tested on Wednesday.

"I lined up at the Goulburn Valley Hospital at 10:00am and got told four-and-a-half hours later the line was cut off, report back tomorrow," he told ABC Statewide Drive.

"It's the busiest time of the year coming up and I'm trying to do the right thing, but there's no preference to anyone in the line [based on the fact] you were in contact with them [at the tyre shop]."

There were huge queues outside the Shepparton Showgrounds on Wednesday, with many people being turned away hours before the facility closed.

A big electronic sign at Shepparton Hospital pointing to the COVID testing clinic.
Goulburn Valley Health said it was bringing in reinforcements to help boost coronavirus testing capabilities.(ABC News: Jackson Peck)
The news of the outbreak has been a bitter blow for residents such as John Anderson, the president of the Shepparton Chamber of Commerce and Industry.

"We were so hopeful of a relaxation of the restrictions from the Premier this weekend, and I would still be hopeful that that may happen, but that's quite a setback," he said.

Premier Daniel Andrews has flagged a relaxation of some, but not all, restrictions on Sunday, with the state failing to hit the target for the next full step of the roadmap to the easing of restrictions.

Mr Anderson heard from a friend testing facilities in nearby towns had also been busy.

"I was speaking to a pharmacist in Kyabram, about 30 minutes from Shepparton, and he told me that the testing centres in Kyabram are overwhelmed because people are coming from Shepparton," he said.

"I guess this is a wake-up call to everybody to be sure that they follow the guidelines."

Fred Andronaca is worried the virus may have spread in the local community.(ABC News: Jackson Peck)
Resident Fred Andronaca was in the testing queue at the request of his boss after visiting one of the high-risk locations.

"We were going quite well in Shepparton for a bit and just one intruder into the town has created a bit of havoc," he said.

"It's not good but … we've just got to try and get through it if we can."

He is worried there might be even more cases in town.

Independent MP Suzanna Sheed said on Tuesday the confirmed case had many contacts in the community.

"As you can see, one person's come into town and he's created a fair amount of mayhem, just one person," Mr Andronaca said.

"It's a concern if people aren't getting tested like we are today. It could spread even further in the community."
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

It absolutely staggers me that over 6 months into this pandemic, we have not geared up to do rapid deploy mass testing. We have the plans to lock you all down, but we have fvck all idea of what to do to control this thing. We can make a decision to blow $30 Million on private security, but we cant test more than 300 people in Shepparton where we have detected an outbreak and rapid test and trace is required.

What a fvcking numpty show clusterfvck of a bunch of fvcking incompetent fvcking numpties.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:41 am It absolutely staggers me that over 6 months into this pandemic, we have not geared up to do rapid deploy mass testing. We have the plans to lock you all down, but we have fvck all idea of what to do to control this thing. We can make a decision to blow $30 Million on private security, but we cant test more than 300 people in Shepparton where we have detected an outbreak and rapid test and trace is required.

What a fvcking numpty show clusterfvck of a bunch of fvcking incompetent fvcking numpties.
i concur with my learned colleague
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ogre wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 am
Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:41 am It absolutely staggers me that over 6 months into this pandemic, we have not geared up to do rapid deploy mass testing. We have the plans to lock you all down, but we have fvck all idea of what to do to control this thing. We can make a decision to blow $30 Million on private security, but we cant test more than 300 people in Shepparton where we have detected an outbreak and rapid test and trace is required.

You are indeed a wise and talented man.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Governments need to accept the virus is going to spread regardless of testing, tracking apps, lockdowns etc and as the UK PM inferred a viable vaccine is unlikely to emerge either. At best, all they can do is slow the inevitable, but at what price? Quite a high one in terms of excess deaths, economic destruction of livelihoods, loss of liberty etc.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Rugby2023 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 am Governments need to accept the virus is going to spread regardless of testing, tracking apps, lockdowns etc and as the UK PM inferred a viable vaccine is unlikely to emerge either. At best, all they can do is slow the inevitable, but at what price? Quite a high one in terms of excess deaths, economic destruction of livelihoods, loss of liberty etc.
Ok, having identified the challenges, what are your thoughts on the way forward? How do we navigate our way out of this?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:51 am
Ogre wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 am

You are indeed a wise and talented man.
And you have done well to arouse Ogre from his slumber.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:26 am
Rugby2023 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 am Governments need to accept the virus is going to spread regardless of testing, tracking apps, lockdowns etc and as the UK PM inferred a viable vaccine is unlikely to emerge either. At best, all they can do is slow the inevitable, but at what price? Quite a high one in terms of excess deaths, economic destruction of livelihoods, loss of liberty etc.
Ok, having identified the challenges, what are your thoughts on the way forward? How do we navigate our way out of this?
I don't think there is a way out as such, I think we're going to have to learn to live with it and shield the vulnerable as best we can.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Rugby2023 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:04 pm
Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:26 am
I don't think there is a way out as such, I think we're going to have to learn to live with it and shield the vulnerable as best we can.
You are a brave man for posting that heresy on here. You will have triggered the wrath of the 'yay for lockdowns' crew, who will no doubt be on here in minutes berating you for throwing the vulnerable under the bus...
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Worst possible result for Dan. He now has no justification for keeping us in lockdown.

What is the plan Dan?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 pm Worst possible result for Dan. He now has no justification for keeping us in lockdown.

What is the plan Dan?
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm
Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 pm Worst possible result for Dan. He now has no justification for keeping us in lockdown.

What is the plan Dan?

Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Wonderfully clever work boys.

Do either of you know what the plan is? For those thousands of small business owners that in turn employ thousands of Melburnians, can they roster them on for work on Monday? Can the coffee shops order the milk in anticipation for re-opening on Monday? Does the restaurant order fresh food in anticipation of re-opening on Monday? When do small businesses start recruiting new staff to assist with the re-opening?

Who. The. Fvck. Knows.

But yeh, funny photos.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:01 pm Wonderfully clever work boys.

Do either of you know what the plan is? For those thousands of small business owners that in turn employ thousands of Melburnians, can they roster them on for work on Monday? Can the coffee shops order the milk in anticipation for re-opening on Monday? Does the restaurant order fresh food in anticipation of re-opening on Monday? When do small businesses start recruiting new staff to assist with the re-opening?

Who. The. Fvck. Knows.

But yeh, funny photos.
It's hilarious to see that you're genuinely enraged that Dan Andrews has reduced the daily infection count down to just two.Honest question, are you crying right now? I can feel your anger permeating through my computer screen.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:03 pm

Who. The. Fvck. Knows.

But yeh, funny photos.
It's hilarious to see that you're genuinely enraged that Dan Andrews has reduced the daily infection count down to just two.Honest question, are you crying right now? I can feel your anger permeating through my computer screen.

And again, you are clearly highlighting just how little empathy you have for other people's suffering. Melbourne is on it's knees. And you are deriving pleasure from seeing people suffer. :?
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Its nice to be under house arrest so that only 2 people in a metro region of 5 million can catch the rona.

All political bun fights aside (Clogs and Ali C go to the naughty chair) its time to let people get on with their lives. We have (mostly) complied with draconian restrictions on civil liberties, watched small business get hammered with closure and uncertainty and seen the social impacts of isolation on so many people. A reasonable level of precautions, masks, social distancing, cleaning your damn hands, limited numbers at eaterys etc still need to be in play, but this 5km rule and nothing but supermarkets being open can sod off.

Also I want a haircut!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Clogs wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:15 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:03 pm

Who. The. Fvck. Knows.

But yeh, funny photos.

And again, you are clearly highlighting just how little empathy you have for other people's suffering. Melbourne is on it's knees. And you are deriving pleasure from seeing people suffer. :?
Nope, I'm startled that the better the situation gets in Victoria the angrier you become.

Can we at least agree that Dan Andrews has done a brilliant job managing this 2nd wave?