Melbourne. Fvcked.

All things Rugby
Farva

Re: Melbourne. Fvcked.

Post by Farva »

towny wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:02 pm A wise man on this thread once said that a proper conversation needs to be had about the choices, and the subsequent trade-offs and costs.

Covid is still being measured in deaths vs short-term economic costs.
- counting deaths doesn’t nearly capture the consequences
- short term economic pain is barely scraping the surface of the economics, let alone the impact to 2021 to 2040

The social cost is not close to being understood.

After 6 months we are seemingly no closer from having this discussion.
There is lots to it. I got a lot of flack before for saying we need to be conservative due to the unknown long term effects. I stand by that. Victorian leaders are in an impossible situation. How do you know when to lift restrictions?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:06 pm
towny wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:02 pm A wise man on this thread once said that a proper conversation needs to be had about the choices, and the subsequent trade-offs and costs.

- short term economic pain is barely scraping the surface of the economics, let alone the impact to 2021 to 2040

There is lots to it. I got a lot of flack before for saying we need to be conservative due to the unknown long term effects. I stand by that. Victorian leaders are in an impossible situation. How do you know when to lift restrictions?
We are seeing 1 - 2 community transmissions a day. If the Victorian government cannot manage that level of transmission then they are incompetent. They have had 6 months to gear up for this.

Sadly I fear we are going to be let out and due to further incompetence and mismanagement, by January we are going to have a 3rd wave. Only this time we will not accept another lockdown. Which makes all of the sacrifices to date a waste.

Fvck me I hope I am wrong.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:45 am Understood Farva. I feel for you guys.

I’m just over Clogs’ crytrolling.
So you thought the best way to deal with this is to try and turn it into a contest by sharing your story? Are you trying to shame me into stopping what you call crytrolling by sharing your story?
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Clogs wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:18 pm

We are seeing 1 - 2 community transmissions a day. If the Victorian government cannot manage that level of transmission then they are incompetent. They have had 6 months to gear up for this.

Sadly I fear we are going to be let out and due to further incompetence and mismanagement, by January we are going to have a 3rd wave. Only this time we will not accept another lockdown. Which makes all of the sacrifices to date a waste.

1-2 cases over... 2 days?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Slim 293 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:33 pm
Clogs wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:18 pm

1-2 cases over... 2 days?
Most of the cases we have seen are from already quarantined people that have contracted the virus from known sources. The 1 - 2 cases that I am referring to are what the DHHS and Brett Sutton the CHO are calling community transmissions. These are cases that have not been quarantined and tested, but have turned up for testing and have been found to be positive. That is a community transmission case. From there the track and trace system goes into over drive. To prevent more community transmission. They quarantine those close contacts from the community transmission and sometimes there are then additional cases amongst those that are quarantined that test positive. Most of our positive cases in recent weeks have already been quarantined.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Farva wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:49 am
guy smiley wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:45 am Understood Farva. I feel for you guys.

Worst bit is I have just settled on a holiday house in Gippsland
and I was planning on heading down next weekend. Won’t be happening now :(
Now then, there goes the sympathy.... :lol:
Farva

Post by Farva »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Worst bit is I have just settled on a holiday house in Gippsland
and I was planning on heading down next weekend. Won’t be happening now :(
Now then, there goes the sympathy.... :lol:
:lol:
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Worst bit is I have just settled on a holiday house in Gippsland and I was planning on heading down next weekend. Won’t be happening now :(
Gippsland you say? You'll have to drive past me on your way, best to leave a spare key at my place just for emergencies.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

More great data out of Victoria today!. Well done to all Victorians and well done Dan Andrews for his brilliant leadership through this once in a century crisis.

Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 pm More great data out of Victoria today!. Well done to all Victorians and well done Dan Andrews for his brilliant leadership through this once in a century crisis.

Dictator Dan can go suck a dingo dick! :x

To be fair its as Farva said he was in an impossible situation. The lockdown appears to have brought Victoria and Melboune down to country wide levels of infection but the impact of this may be seen for years. I personally want to see accountability for the absolute fustercluck that was quarantine and the release of the rona into the city. Dan threw his health minister under the bus and for all the qudo's of suppression/elimination he is the apex politician and needs to accept accountability for the cock up. Until then he is Dictator Dan.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dan Andrews is the only leader on earth to successfully manage a genuine Covid-19 2nd wave, and yet some people want him sacked. The rest of the world must think we are nuts.

Meanwhile Dan Andrews is outlining the roadmap back to normalcy in Victoria.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

So retail and hospitality will have to wait until November 1 for the big reopening, but that might get brought forward next week if the numbers remain the same as recent days... :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Slim 293 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 am So retail and hospitality will have to wait until November 1 for the big reopening, but that might get brought forward next week if the numbers remain the same as recent days... :thumbup:
Clogs and Farva were demanding that Dan gives businesses plenty of notice about re-opening. Dan has just done what Clogs and Farva wanted.,
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:17 am Dan Andrews is the only leader on earth to successfully manage a genuine Covid-19 2nd wave, and yet some people want him sacked. The rest of the world must think we are nuts.

I am assuiming the bolded bit means me? If so please show supporting evidence. My call is for him to accept accountability for being in charge while covid was realeased into the community due to political bungling. Hence causing said second wave . . .
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ogre wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:17 am Dan Andrews is the only leader on earth to successfully manage a genuine Covid-19 2nd wave, and yet some people want him sacked. The rest of the world must think we are nuts.

I am assuiming the bolded bit means me? If so please show supporting evidence. My call is for him to accept accountability for being in charge while covid was realeased into the community due to political bungling. Hence causing said second wave . . .
Nope. not you. But plenty of others have called for Andrews to be sacked.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:31 am
Ogre wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:29 am

Nope. not you. But plenty of others have called for Andrews to be sacked.
In which case please disregard my previous :thumbup:
Farva

Post by Farva »

Hopefully everything opens next weekend then.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Farva wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:50 am Hopefully everything opens next weekend then.

Yes he was very clear about that. We may be able to bring things forward next weekend. But it won't be next weekend. It may be a day or two after next weekend after we have the data from the weekend. But we will only know by then. So we could bring it forward. Maybe.
Last edited by Clogs on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Farva wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:50 am Hopefully everything opens next weekend then.
If not, Nov 1 will be the latest.
Farva

Post by Farva »

God Peta Credlin is painful.
Last edited by Farva on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:54 am
If not, Nov 1 will be the latest.
Maybe.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

The best news so far is that Ogre can get a haircut tomorrow. Baby steps. Important baby steps.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Clogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 am The best news so far is that Ogre can get a haircut tomorrow. Baby steps. Important baby steps.
Are you mad? There wont be a chance for a week as 5 million people cram into every barbers in melbounre.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ogre wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:01 am
Clogs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 am The best news so far is that Ogre can get a haircut tomorrow. Baby steps. Important baby steps.
Are you mad? There wont be a chance for a week as 5 million people cram into every barbers in melbounre.
Keep it long dude:

kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Andrew's incompetence caused the so called second wave you numpty. He should be up on 800 industrial manslaughter charges.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwinoz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:02 am

Andrew's incompetence caused the so called second wave you numpty. He should be up on 800 industrial manslaughter charges.
So using this logic Boris Johnson should be up on 43, 500 manslaughter charges, and Donald Trump should be up on 225,000 manslaughter charges? Or is it only Dan Andrews in Victoria who should be held accountable for anything?
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Hysterical...
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 am

So using this logic Boris Johnson should be up on 43, 500 manslaughter charges, and Donald Trump should be up on 225,000 manslaughter charges? Or is it only Dan Andrews in Victoria who should be held accountable for anything?
f**king ridiculous argument, that one. Dan Andrews isn’t responsible for the actions of the individuals involved. You’d have to ask Vic police why they shied away from doing the job of securing facilities and alsonthebFederal govt who are responsible for border control and immigration. This hysterical shrieking about Andrews causing the outbreak is just lunacy... fuelled by NewsCorp and lapped up by their disciples.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 am

f**king ridiculous argument, that one. Dan Andrews isn’t responsible for the actions of the individuals involved. You’d have to ask Vic police why they shied away from doing the job of securing facilities and alsonthebFederal govt who are responsible for border control and immigration. This hysterical shrieking about Andrews causing the outbreak is just lunacy... fuelled by NewsCorp and lapped up by their disciples.
I can only assume you weren't sober when you posted this.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Attacking the poster and not the post eh Clogs.

Isn’t that something you accuse others of doing?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:21 am Attacking the poster and not the post eh Clogs.

Isn’t that something you accuse others of doing?
:lol:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Considering other states used the same measures (private security) and through (it appears) luck didn't have the same outcome what should we charge those premiers with?

I was listening to a health researcher on the radio the other day who suggested the main difference between NSW and Vic is that Vic health has been underfunded for a long time now (since the 90s maybe, in comparison with NSW) with a structure that is less equipped to deal with the contract tracing required in a pandemic, whereas NSW had higher levels of funding and a better structure that allowed contract tracing to be ramped up and implemented which has helped NSW avoid breakouts. Only one researcher's opinion of course, but I like that there's people looking for systemic reasons for this rather than just blaming the premier. We all know that if he was a Lib/Nat then the media outlets carrying on their propaganda war over Victoria would be singing from a different tune sheet.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

NSW is only just keeping a lid on their infection rate with little clusters popping up every few days lately...

but Dictator Dan.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:32 am NSW is only just keeping a lid on their infection rate with little clusters popping up every few days lately...

but Dictator Dan.
I'm reading some "eminent" commentators on LinkedIn - well, it would be interesting to have them in a job interview :nod:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Australia hasn’t had a first wave yet. You absolute throbber.
Last edited by bimboman on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Can anyone tell me how Dan Andrews voted/lobbied on euthanasia?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

bimboman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:57 am

Dumb post. Just because we're not a shit-show like the UK doesn't mean we haven't had two distinct waves.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am

Dumb post. Just because we're not a shit-show like the UK doesn't mean we haven't had two distinct waves.

Throbber.
grievous

Post by grievous »

What have we had then? 1000 people died of what?