Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

All things Rugby
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12260
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Many these days seem to believe that being easily offended is some kind of virtue. In fact, in my opinion, the exact polar opposite is true. Your capacity to not be offended is a virtue. Worst of all is pretending offence.

I love this and it goes for both sides of the political fence who are in my view equally guilty.

Image
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 19795
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by CrazyIslander »

I like it but what "our capacity to offend". Should we think about that?
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17387
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Flametop »

Offence is taken, not given.
C69
Posts: 39585
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by C69 »

Ffs it's only flu
User avatar
Nieghorn
Posts: 19108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Nieghorn »

Interesting ... would you say that 'capacity to' means stretching that to a point where you allow yourself to be offended on behalf of many other people?
New guy
Posts: 4542
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by New guy »

Mog, your post has offended me. I demand an apology.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 11661
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by message #2527204 »

Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14477
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by fatcat »

"If people can't control their own emotions, then they have to start trying to control other people's behaviour." - Robin Skynner
User avatar
Sensible Stephen
Posts: 2940
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Many these days seem to believe that being easily offended is some kind of virtue. In fact, in my opinion, the exact polar opposite is true. Your capacity to not be offended is a virtue. Worst of all is pretending offence.

I love this and it goes for both sides of the political fence who are in my view equally guilty.
I agree, getting offended by a remark doesn't make you more virtuous, or special or anything.

Thinking racist remarks are ok does make you a cnut though.

You cnut.
User avatar
Harveys
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Harveys »

message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.

Fry :thumbup: :smug:
User avatar
Newsome
Posts: 3343
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Newsome »

message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
He's only saying that today because he woke up with his happy personality. Tomorrow he might be all moody and depressed again.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 39288
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended
no need to read the OP to know MOG has the same opinion
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16904
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Zakar »

I agree, but it's not an argument that holds much water when it is from people that clearly set out to cause offense.
Couch
Posts: 3531
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Couch »

Sam Harris is gay
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28806
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote:I agree, but it's not an argument that holds much water when it is from people that clearly set out to cause offense.
Pretty much. If I walked around China Town and called every person of Asian appearance a "gook" would it be their issue because they were offended, or my issue for deliberately trying to offend them?
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Muttonbirds »

message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
Stephen Fry = precious twat.

Makes a living from saying offensive things then complains when people are offended. :roll:
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 18270
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Muttonbirds wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
Stephen Fry = precious twat.

Makes a living from saying offensive things then complains when people are offended. :roll:
On what planet does Stephen Fry make a living saying offensive things?
User avatar
Taranaki Snapper
Posts: 17306
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Is "Taking Offense" the same as refuting a shitty statement?
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 30115
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Floppykid »

Edgy stuff
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12260
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I think the point is that it's more virtuous and useful if you can communicate rationally and with a cool head even in situations where some legitimate offence maybe warranted, and certainly in situations where it is not. Resorting to hurling insults and the like is just so unhelpful and far away from what is really needed in public (and private) debate - that being a genuine attempt to at least understand and consider the other's point of view before dismissing it.

I know I'm not perfect at this, so I'm not lecturing anyone. But when I have made the effort to just take a step back and genuinely comprehend the other's point, whether I agree with it disagree with it in the end, it's usually a lot more civil and useful communication. And sometimes I even change my mind. Sometimes I change their mind. But neither thing is likely to occur if one or both party are just looking for an excuse to "score a point" by playing the I'm-so-offended-card.
User avatar
Bokkom
Posts: 4299
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Bokkom »

Muttonbirds wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
Stephen Fry = precious twat.

Makes a living from saying offensive things then complains when people are offended. :roll:
Ironing.
Conservative Eddie
Posts: 2600
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Conservative Eddie »

Hey Mog/Ika,

This has got nothing to do with Sam Harris by the way, he's sooooo 2007.

I'm just curious how the Swedish is going? I remember a thread a while back where you were talking about different apps/approaches, IIRC. I have a bit of an interest in language learning and the different strategies and ideas that are common amongst other learners sooo...anyway, I happened upon an interesting youtuber; he's an Aussie, like you, and is learning Swedish - even though he's never been there, which is unusual - and he's got a very nice channel and unlike other language learners and polyglots, there's a distinct lack of bullshit about his channel and his claims of language proficiency. Some of his videos include him speaking Swedish, which is apparently quite good - well, according to some in the comments, I can't judge as I don't know the language.

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Definitely worth checking out - same goes for anyone else who has or is learning another language.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_iSR ... lBNd9lv8jA
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16313
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Tehui »

And what about people who get offended because other people got offended by something they said? It's a vicious circle, bro.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6139
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
Stephen Fry = precious twat.

Makes a living from saying offensive things then complains when people are offended. :roll:
When?

He is probably one of the most in offensive people on British TV
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6139
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Dark »

Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by CM11 »

Dark wrote:Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 30115
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Floppykid »

CM11 wrote:
Dark wrote:Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
The show is so highly scripted I can't laugh at it.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Dark wrote:Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
The show is so highly scripted I can't laugh at it.
There's a surprise!

Not a fan of most comedy then?
User avatar
Harveys
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Harveys »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Zakar wrote:I agree, but it's not an argument that holds much water when it is from people that clearly set out to cause offense.
Pretty much. If I walked around China Town and called every person of Asian appearance a "gook" would it be their issue because they were offended, or my issue for deliberately trying to offend them?
Like you on this Forum then?

You both know thats not the context by and large.



Sam Harris is def a knobhead.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 30115
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Floppykid »

CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Dark wrote:Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
The show is so highly scripted I can't laugh at it.
There's a surprise!

Not a fan of most comedy then?
Panel shows aren't exactly my thing, no.
User avatar
Harveys
Posts: 1988
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Harveys »

Muttonbirds wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
Stephen Fry wrote:It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine.

'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so f**king what.
Stephen Fry = precious twat.

Makes a living from saying offensive things then complains when people are offended. :roll:
Pot meet kettle.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by CM11 »

Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Dark wrote:Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
The show is so highly scripted I can't laugh at it.
There's a surprise!

Not a fan of most comedy then?
Panel shows aren't exactly my thing, no.
And that's fine but pretty much all comedy across the comedic spectrum is scripted.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6139
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Dark »

Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Dark wrote:Stephen Fry being massively offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fki5pi_Y5IY
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
The show is so highly scripted I can't laugh at it.
I think they see the questions before hand, but it is hours filming to get enough laughs for a half hour episode, so no.

In fact Davis is on record as saying the reason Fry left was they were asking him to try to film 3 half hour episodes in 24 hours.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 30115
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Floppykid »

CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Thanks for that, I do miss him on QI.
The show is so highly scripted I can't laugh at it.
There's a surprise!

Not a fan of most comedy then?
Panel shows aren't exactly my thing, no.
And that's fine but pretty much all comedy across the comedic spectrum is scripted.
Really?! :shock:
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6139
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Dark »

That and I think after 17 years you would get at least one interview with an audience member mentioning the re-takes of all the scenes
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 59467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by CM11 »

Comedy is about timing and delivery. Most comedy will have a scripted structure.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12260
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Harveys wrote:Sam Harris is def a knobhead.
I've heard this opinion quite a lot, but have never heard any challenged on their opinion of him explain it even semi-convincingly.

It seems some people have watched a lot doctored clips called "Sam Harris gets DESTROYED by <insert simpleton>" clips on YouTube and that's largely where their opinions are formed.

I find Sam Harris to be honest to a fault, calm and rationale, and I believe his biggest fault as a public debater and polemicist is that he over-estimates his opponents I.Q and willingness to argue in good faith, so he throws out thought experiments that disingenuous opponents can & do easily latch onto in order to fabricate outlandish claims about Harris' stance. It's telling that he was a darling of the intellectual left early in his career when he focused on criticism of Christianity, but became an "alt right bigot" (complete nonsense of course) as soon as he dared make similarly negative observations about Islam. I don't think it's hyperbole to say every criticism I've heard of him is either factually wrong, dishonest or a (sometimes intentional) misunderstanding.

But maybe yours is valid. What is it?
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12260
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Conservative Eddie wrote:Hey Mog/Ika,

This has got nothing to do with Sam Harris by the way, he's sooooo 2007.

I'm just curious how the Swedish is going? I remember a thread a while back where you were talking about different apps/approaches, IIRC. I have a bit of an interest in language learning and the different strategies and ideas that are common amongst other learners sooo...anyway, I happened upon an interesting youtuber; he's an Aussie, like you, and is learning Swedish - even though he's never been there, which is unusual - and he's got a very nice channel and unlike other language learners and polyglots, there's a distinct lack of bullshit about his channel and his claims of language proficiency. Some of his videos include him speaking Swedish, which is apparently quite good - well, according to some in the comments, I can't judge as I don't know the language.

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Definitely worth checking out - same goes for anyone else who has or is learning another language.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_iSR ... lBNd9lv8jA
Thanks for the tip mate, I'll check it out. FWIW, I think the most valuable language-learning app out there is one called LingQ. You do actually have to pay for it, and it's not perfect, but it's a lot better (and cheaper) than Rosetta Stone and a lot better than DuoLingo (which is a useful supplement imo, especially for the price, but definitely won't make you conversational in any language).

Why anybody would want to learn Swedish who doesn't live here I have no idea. I actually think it's a shame, but Swedish is going the way of the do-do. There's huge amounts of ex-pats living in Sweden, and who have lived here for a decade, who literally don't speak a lick of the language. Speaking Swedish is not necessary even in Sweden, let alone Australia. That said, I can appreciate it from a purely education for the sake of being educated view point. After all, I think it's would be badass to know Latin.

For those that do live here, I think it's right, polite and respectful to at-least make an attempt to learn the language of the land, it's just not necessary.
my 2 cents
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Wise words from a wise man r.e being offended

Post by my 2 cents »

The more people listen to the likes of Sam Harris, John McWorter, Glenn Loury, Bret Weinstein, James Lindsey and so on, the better place society would be
Post Reply