8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Dalton Papali'i
6. Shannon Frizell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
2. Asafo Aumua
1. Joe Moody

Unlucky: Jack Goodhue, Mark Telea, Mitch Hunt, Codie Taylor, Kurt Eklund, Devan Flanders

Player of the Week: Richie Mo'unga - He had a mixed 1st half his but his performance in the 2nd half was one for the ages.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodlandsRFC

Re: Super Rugby Aotearoa 'Team of the Week' Rd 5

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Might have gone Telea on the wing over Reece, didn't think Reece particularly stood out, not like we know he can. Telea was one desperate tackle from Bridge away from scoring his second.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:Might have gone Telea on the wing over Reece, didn't think Reece particularly stood out, not like we know he can. Telea was one desperate tackle from Bridge away from scoring his second.
yeah I commented on Telea in the match thread and thought he was good, but I thought Reece was massive for the Crusaders. He was our #1 ball carrier and made plenty of hard yards off first phase. Either player deserved the 14 jersey this week.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Have to say I'm enjoying these, thanks AC. It's good to see competitive games between the sides and the genuine options in the different positions from an AB perspective. Foster's got material to work with that's for sure, what we see coming through this year will be interesting.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Flockwitt wrote:Have to say I'm enjoying these, thanks AC. It's good to see competitive games between the sides and the genuine options in the different positions from an AB perspective. Foster's got material to work with that's for sure, what we see coming through this year will be interesting.
What's been really interesting is the mix of players that have been featuring every week. I think the only player who has has been selected four times is Joe Moody, and he's a phenomenal season both at scrum time and in general play.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I think the best individual 10 performance was Mitch Hunt.

(Note - only watch highlights package of Saders vs Blues)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote:I think the best individual 10 performance was Mitch Hunt.

(Note - only watch highlights package of Saders vs Blues)
Hunt was the highlanders most dangerous back, but overall his impact on the match was significantly less than Mo'unga's, IMO. I do think Hunt is playing really well and Josh Ioane is no certainty to reclaim the Highlanders' 10 jersey.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Jordie Barrett!?

:lol:

The unco lock playing fullback?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Flockwitt wrote:Have to say I'm enjoying these, thanks AC. It's good to see competitive games between the sides and the genuine options in the different positions from an AB perspective. Foster's got material to work with that's for sure, what we see coming through this year will be interesting.
Haha, Bananas Foster will be thinking all sorts of shit. How to put together a side better than the Crusaders will be way above his level.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote:15. Jordie Barrett
14. Sevu Reece
13. Reiko Ioane
12. Ngani Laumape
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. TJ Perenara

8. Hoskins Sotutu
7. Dalton Papali'i
6. Shannon Frizell
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
2. Asafo Aumua
1. Joe Moody
Ecxhange Beaudy for Jordie and it'll be an exciting ABs team.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

If he went with something like that I'd not expect him to get it humming first game out the door. There are going to be quite a few baying for his blood but Foster needs to be at least given a chance to build and tune up whatever he goes with. Just saying ;)
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

jdogscoop wrote:
Haha, Bananas Foster will be thinking all sorts of shit. How to put together a side better than the Crusaders will be way above his level.
This is the sad thing isn't it. So much brilliant young talent coming through but that clown Foster will have no clue how to select or harness that talent effectively. Has there ever been a less deserving All Black head coach?
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Keeping it on track, I think Ali may of just about hit it on head, I may of snuck Goodhue in at 12, but Lumpy went well so no argument there. I agree Flanders was a little unlucky to miss out, but surely showed that he could be ahead of Prinsep you would think.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Vince Aso has looked pretty good every time I’ve seen him this year. Underrated imo, never gets a mention.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

trapper wrote:Vince Aso has looked pretty good every time I’ve seen him this year. Underrated imo, never gets a mention.
Aso's issues are;
- He's never cemented a longterm starting position in the Hurricanes team
- He's been regularly shifted between wing and the midfield
- He doesn't have a short or long kicking game, and in 2020 that's needed for both wing and centre
- He has a fat face, so it's just assumed that he's lazy

I agree he's a good player. He'd be a 30+ cap test player by now if he was Australian or Irish.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Half the crusaders backline hasn’t established a long term starting position :lol:
trapper

Post by trapper »

Ali's Choice wrote:
trapper wrote:Vince Aso has looked pretty good every time I’ve seen him this year. Underrated imo, never gets a mention.
Aso's issues are;
- He's never cemented a longterm starting position in the Hurricanes team
- He's been regularly shifted between wing and the midfield
- He doesn't have a short or long kicking game, and in 2020 that's needed for both wing and centre
- He has a fat face, so it's just assumed that he's lazy

I agree he's a good player. He'd be a 30+ cap test player by now if he was Australian or Irish.
Hahaha, fair enough. I’m not saying he’s AB standard but he’s got a fair bit of uptick to his game as well. He’s playing well and I thought was close to the best midfielder in the Canes v Clan game. Just giving the bloke a bit of recognition.