16. Liam Coltman
17. Daniel Lienert-Brown
18. Jeff Thwaites
19. Manaaki Selby-Rickit
20. Jesse Parete
21. Teariki Ben-Nicholas
22. Kayne Hammingto
23. Bryn Gatland

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Re: Hurricanes vs Highlanders: MATCH THREAD: Sunday 12th Jul

Post by Ali's Choice »

This is a crucial match. Both teams are 2-1 going into this match, and I'll go as far as saying that the losing team will drop out of contention for this tournament. A must-win clash!
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Concur, but it must be said that a Hurricanes team with Jordie Barrett in it is a whole different beast than one without. Kobus Van Wyk adds another domension to the back three as well.

Hopefully the Hurricanes have sufficient props on the bench to cover both sides of the scrum this weekend.

Any word on Scrafton? Is he allowed to play next weekend after a red card, (the weakest red card ever, in my opinion!)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

capt hurricane wrote:Concur, but it must be said that a Hurricanes team with Jordie Barrett in it is a whole different beast than one without. Kobus Van Wyk adds another domension to the back three as well.

Hopefully the Hurricanes have sufficient props on the bench to cover both sides of the scrum this weekend.

Any word on Scrafton? Is he allowed to play next weekend after a red card, (the weakest red card ever, in my opinion!)
I cannot imagine Scrafton is in any trouble given his first YC was a team card and his 2nd card was a professional foul. If anything NZR should be issuing him an apology.

Given the importance of this fixture, I expect the intensity to be test match like. As you say, Jordie Barrett brings a lot to this Hurricanes team. Chase Tiatia is a liability at this level and JB brings experience and attacking ability. He also has the ability to be a calm and composed presence on occasions.

The match will be won and lost upfront though, at the set piece and the breakdown. I'm really looking forward to the contest between Savea/Kirifi/Princep and Mikaele-Tu'u/Hunt/Frizell. If I was a Hurricans fan I would be worried about the set piece, both the scrum and the lineout. The Highlanders pack is high quality and extremely well balanced.

Of interest will be whether Joshua Ioane returns, and if so what happens to the in-form Mitch Hunt.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

When the Hurricanes play at their unpredictable best the Highlanders struggle.

I just had a quick peak at the stats and the Highlanders have won only two of their last ten clashes against the Canes.

The loss of Dickson will only add to the Clan's experience deficit - and you'd hardly call him a veteran.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Ali's Choice wrote:
capt hurricane wrote:Concur, but it must be said that a Hurricanes team with Jordie Barrett in it is a whole different beast than one without. Kobus Van Wyk adds another domension to the back three as well.

I cannot imagine Scrafton is in any trouble given his first YC was a team card and his 2nd card was a professional foul. If anything NZR should be issuing him an apology.

Given the importance of this fixture, I expect the intensity to be test match like. As you say, Jordie Barrett brings a lot to this Hurricanes team. Chase Tiatia is a liability at this level and JB brings experience and attacking ability. He also has the ability to be a calm and composed presence on occasions.

The match will be won and lost upfront though, at the set piece and the breakdown. I'm really looking forward to the contest between Savea/Kirifi/Princep and Mikaele-Tu'u/Hunt/Frizell. If I was a Hurricans fan I would be worried about the set piece, both the scrum and the lineout. The Highlanders pack is high quality and extremely well balanced.

Of interest will be whether Joshua Ioane returns, and if so what happens to the in-form Mitch Hunt.
If Armstrong recovers, the scrum should go alright. Ben May on the wrong side of the scrum is no option at this level! Scrafton did well at lineout. There was defintie improvement this week, and we needed it.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Should be an entertaining match. Both teams playing attractive attacking footy.

Would be great to get a sunny afternoon game.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Maniototo Man wrote:When the Hurricanes play at their unpredictable best the Highlanders struggle.

I just had a quick peak at the stats and the Highlanders have won only two of their last ten clashes against the Canes.

The loss of Dickson will only add to the Clan's experience deficit - and you'd hardly call him a veteran.
Jack Whetton will do a good job for the Highlanders. He looks like he's been doing nothing but pump iron and take roids for the past 12 months just quietly, he's built like a freakin body builder (btw, that's not a suggestion that he is actually taking PED's but simply a comment on how strong he looks).The issue will be then who covers lock off the bench.

The Hurricanes looked very impressive yesterday playing structured, attacking rugby and concentrating on line speed, defensive effort and getting numbers to the breakdown. That's similar to how the Highlanders are playing. I'm just excited about this match because the winning team will be making a statement to the rest of the comp that they are a genuine title contender, whereas the losing team is potentially out of contention.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Maniototo Man wrote:When the Hurricanes play at their unpredictable best the Highlanders struggle.

Jack Whetton will do a good job for the Highlanders. He looks like he's been on the roids for the past 12 months just quietly, he's built like a freakin body builders. The issue will be then who covers lock off the bench.

The Hurricanes looked very impressive yesterday playing structured, attacking rugby and concentrating on line speed, defensive effort and getting numbers to the breakdown. That's similar to how the Highlanders are playing. I'm just excited about this match because the winning team will be making a statement to the rest of the comp that they are a genuine title contender, whereas the losing team is potentially out of contention.
I'm guessing they will go with Manaaki Selby-Rickit off the bench. He blotted his copybook badly last year by assaulting someone but is slowly working his way back. He had a few minutes against the Blues.
Last edited by Maniototo Man on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Maniototo Man wrote:I'm guessing they will go with Manaaki Selby-Ricket off the bench. He blotted his copybook badly last year by assaulting someone but is slowly working his way back. He had a few minutes against the Blues.
The kid has a lot to prove. Can anyone describe what he's like as a player and what we can expect if he is in the match day XXIII?
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

I shall be attending. I can only hope that the Highlanders appreciate my support and rise to the challenge.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Maniototo Man wrote:I'm guessing they will go with Manaaki Selby-Rickit off the bench. He blotted his copybook badly last year by assaulting someone but is slowly working his way back. He had a few minutes against the Blues.
The kid has a lot to prove. Can anyone describe what he's like as a player and what we can expect if he is in the match day XXIII?
I haven't seen a lot of him but he appears to be a mobile and athletic lock who likes to carry. At 2 metres and 112 kg and still growing he seems to be fairly well physically equipped for the role.

One of the Southland based posters could probably tell you more.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

What do the Clan do about that back three that has been so unsettled? Do they give Nareki a chance at redemption? Do they bring in McKay or Koroi on the wings? Will we see NMS and Ioane on the bench? The locking partner for Parkinson is not decided but Whetton looked good last week, while Coltman has to start again, as even Scot Robertson felt his leaving the park was the turning point on Sunday with his loose work over the ball a real problem for Canterbury.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

I like the idea of Koroi and Nareki starting together. Easy to forgot that both of them are rookies at this level, but if they could get some consistent game time together then it gives them the best shot of doing well. Sure Nareki messed up the pass in the weekend but I'll easily put that down to inexperience. Height then could become a problem, however, and while Collins is undoubtedly a journeymen, I don't think he did much wrong against the crusaders and I would have had him in for the blues game personally. Just adds a bit of calmness into the back 3, which is full of inexperience.

The main problem that I have is how Mauger is persevering with the up an under tatics - its madness. When you are facing NZ teams especially, why kick it to their back 3's when you have such little chance of regathering it - especially when the Highlanders are so far in their own half? That's where height and composure come into regathering the ball (which they lack), and thats when they even bother putting a good chase in (which they often don't). On top of this, you have inexperienced guys hesitating to go for the ball and then that puts them at risk of taking the other teams player out in air and getting a minimum of a yellow card. 'Here Barrett/McKenzie/Havili/Jordan/etc. take the ball on halfway and run it back to us!'
Sorry, but needed to rant there :lol:

Definitely agree regarding Whetton, and I think it was his best performance in a highlanders jersey.
Normac

Post by Normac »

For the Canes you'd have to leave the starting team pretty well unchanged except for replacing Armstrong due to injury I'd suspect. PUJ played extremely well in only his fifth game - he looked really good in the midfield and provided some go forward as well as link play. Has he played well enough to keep Aso out? Does Gareth Evans come onto the bench for Vaea Fifita if he's fit?

They need to stop the experiment of shifting TJ out with 20 to go - trust a back up 10 or leave TJ at 9 if he really needs to play the whole 80.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:I shall be attending. I can only hope that the Highlanders appreciate my support and rise to the challenge.
Did you attend the Highlanders v Hurricanes final in Wellington a few years ago?
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Tehui wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:I shall be attending. I can only hope that the Highlanders appreciate my support and rise to the challenge.
Did you attend the Highlanders v Hurricanes final in Wellington a few years ago?
Can't answer for GON on the final, but I attended the Tahs vs Highlanders semi the week before in Sydney. Highlanders were in complete control and A. Smith had a blinder. Set them up perfectly for the final. My 2nd team.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

The Hurricanes have the worst line out seen in professional rugby, and their scrum was malfuntioning for part of the game last week.

It shouldn't really be possible for the Hurricanes to win a game at this level with their set piece. I think the Chiefs result was an anomaly and I would not be surprised to see us go 1-7 in Supe Aotearoa.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Hurricanes are one from one with J Barrett and I expect this to continue :nod:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Wilderbeast wrote:Hurricanes are one from one with J Barrett and I expect this to continue :nod:
Settle down Sonny Barrett, oh whoops, my apologies Wilderbarrett.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sonny Blount wrote:The Hurricanes have the worst line out seen in professional rugby, and their scrum was malfuntioning for part of the game last week.

It shouldn't really be possible for the Hurricanes to win a game at this level with their set piece. I think the Chiefs result was an anomaly and I would not be surprised to see us go 1-7 in Supe Aotearoa.
Their scrum has been targeted by every team, and from memory they have conceded scrum penalties against every team, but their lineout hasn't been too bad. I think they should be able to hold their own at lineout time against the Highlanders, who have their own issues with inaccurate throwing from Coltman and Dixon, but the scrum could be an issue. In saying that this competition has been defined by its low number of scrums.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Tehui wrote: Did you attend the Highlanders v Hurricanes final in Wellington a few years ago?
I did...
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Tehui wrote: Did you attend the Highlanders v Hurricanes final in Wellington a few years ago?
I did...
Me too. Will always remember two things: how well the Highlanders played, and how Julian Savea dropped the ball with an open try line in front of him.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

UncleFB wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Hurricanes are one from one with J Barrett and I expect this to continue :nod:
Yes well I thought sonny was letting us down so I had to up my game.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Tehui wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I did...
Me too. Will always remember two things: how well the Highlanders played, and how Julian Savea dropped the ball with an open try line in front of him.
You guys are so lucky* to have been as such a game!

What a year that was, something out of a dream, really. I have always supported the Highlanders alongside my old man, but we both never thought that we'd actually get the privilege to watch them win a title (albeit on the tv)! I mean it was a 'title' and while the red team a few hours up the road has a massive 10 of them, I am so content with our one.
Always, and I mean almost always, the underdogs, and never fancied to win anything. To prove people wrong there was just amazing. 3 excellent knockout games in a row from some really unfancied players (Of course there were the quality players as well, Naholo, Smith, Smith, etc.). Just a glorious sporting moment for the old man and I, and especially after years of supporting such painful performances as well as ones that 'just' weren't good enough to get the W.
It was a weird feeling really, I would see sporting miracles happen around the world, but I never thought it would actually happen to us :shock:

anyway excuse me for the trip down memory lane there - tis a lane I love to walk down :lol:

*from a highlanders fan's perspective of course :lol:
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

All good. Highlanders fans have every right to be proud of that moment. As was I 12 months later, when I had the immense satisfaction of watching the Hurricanes make back to back finals and win the championship.

Admittedly, I'm not that interested in watching Super Rugby these days, but that doesn't mean that interest can't be rekindled again in future.
Taranaki Snapper

Tehui wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I did...
I will always remember at least 2 things: being pilled off my head after the game and; standing next to Brownie in full Canes' drag after stumbling across the Clan having a post-match beer in their hotel's lobby bar...
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Tehui wrote:All good. Highlanders fans have every right to be proud of that moment. As was I 12 months later, when I had the immense satisfaction of watching the Hurricanes make back to back finals and win the championship.

Admittedly, I'm not that interested in watching Super Rugby these days, but that doesn't mean that interest can't be rekindled again in future.
Yeah what guts it took from those Hurricanes players to bounce back like they did and make amends the very next year! As soon as the Lions had to travel, I was confident that the canes would do the job.

Super Rugby is a bit of a mess obviously, but whatever they decide (regarding format, teams, etc), lets just hope it works!

Anyway, Hurricanes v Highlanders is always a tough and close game, but with the win last week, and of course Savea and Barrett and TJ too, it will be a tough as ask for the Highlanders to leave the cake tin with a win.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Tehui wrote:
I was living in Dunedin at the time - had to head out to Dunedin airport the next morning to cover their return (once they won, of course - wouldn't have gone out if they lost #fairweathermedia).
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

A few hungover interview subjects I take it, GON?

Jesus, they would have been even more cliche-ridden than usual. x(
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Tehui wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I did...
I had tickets but sold them to my workmate (for face value) as he told his cousin he'd get tickets so he flew over from Aussie. Nek minnit his tickets fell through...doh! Was pretty glad in the end when we lost :lol:

Good PR cabal the night before though :thumbup:

Snaps, Ted and that strange dude Ogre who flopped his schlong out at LBQ.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I did...
I had tickets but sold them to my workmate (for face value) as he told his cousin he'd get tickets so he flew over from Aussie. Nek minnit his tickets fell through...doh! Was pretty glad in the end when we lost :lol:

:lol:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

I always wished the Canes and Highlanders wins were around the other way so that Nonu could have got a win.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

UncleFB wrote:I always wished the Canes and Highlanders wins were around the other way so that Nonu could have got a win.
I wish we won both so nonu could've had a win :D
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

jdogscoop wrote:A few hungover interview subjects I take it, GON?

Jesus, they would have been even more cliche-ridden than usual. x(
Yeah, rumour has it they stayed at the hotel bar until the wee small hours.

Think I chatted to Lentjes, B Smith, Clark Dermody (as scrum coach) & Roger Clark. They were fairly mobbed by punters seeking pics and autographs, so it was a bun fight.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

UncleFB wrote:I always wished the Canes and Highlanders wins were around the other way so that Nonu could have got a win.
And smith. As a centre partnership they were such a mainstay of super rugby for years.
Taranaki Snapper

RuggaBugga wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I did...

:lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

HouseOfPane wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I did...
You guys are so lucky* to have been as such a game!

What a year that was, something out of a dream, really. I have always supported the Highlanders alongside my old man, but we both never thought that we'd actually get the privilege to watch them win a title (albeit on the tv)! I mean it was a 'title' and while the red team a few hours up the road has a massive 10 of them, I am so content with our one.
Always, and I mean almost always, the underdogs, and never fancied to win anything. To prove people wrong there was just amazing. 3 excellent knockout games in a row from some really unfancied players (Of course there were the quality players as well, Naholo, Smith, Smith, etc.). Just a glorious sporting moment for the old man and I, and especially after years of supporting such painful performances as well as ones that 'just' weren't good enough to get the W.
It was a weird feeling really, I would see sporting miracles happen around the world, but I never thought it would actually happen to us :shock:

anyway excuse me for the trip down memory lane there - tis a lane I love to walk down :lol:

*from a highlanders fan's perspective of course :lol:
That was a great win for the Highlanders. I was watching fully expecting the Canes to win but the Highlanders played brilliantly and Ben and Aaron Smith and Lima Sopoaga had the ball on a string. Naholo also established himself as a star that year. The win in the final was a great victory but I really enjoyed their semifinal win over the Waratahs in Sydney. The tactical kicking game of the Highlanders had the defending champs at sixes and sevens and they simply had no answer. Brilliant to watch even for a non Highlanders fan.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Yeah incredible that such a great, long lasting centre partnership like Nonu and Smith never won a title and the year after they left relative unknowns Laumape and Aso scooped up the title.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

UncleFB wrote:
I suspect there's been a slight misreading in there.