Super Rugby South Africa

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Super Rugby South Africa

Post by Ali's Choice »

Will this be happening this year, or will pro Rugby take a hiatus in SA in 2020 due to COVID-19, before your teams join the Celtic Pro 19 in 2021?

I think Super Rugby SA would be great to watch as a neutral.
kiap

Re: Super Rugby South Africa

Post by kiap »

Hmmm. Maybe?
  • 'Super Rugby SA' and shorter Currie Cup on the cards

By Mike Greenaway
    Jul 14, 2020

DURBAN - A South African version of New Zealand’s Super Rugby Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU in Australia is the latest plan on the table for a return to rugby in SA, with a single round Currie Cup to follow.

SA’s Super Rugby competition would feature the four franchises playing each other twice (a total of six games each) and the top two teams on the standings would then go into a final, with no quarters or semis.

After a one-week break the Currie Cup would begin and would include Griquas, the Pumas and possibly the Cheetahs (depending on whether the PRO14 resumes) with the final on 19 December.

read more: https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/super ... s-50947389
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

Ali's Choice wrote:Will this be happening this year, or will pro Rugby take a hiatus in SA in 2020 due to COVID-19, before your teams join the Celtic Pro 19 in 2021?

I think Super Rugby SA would be great to watch as a neutral.
Watching handicap children brawl it out whilst as entertaining as it is, it is not skilful at all... your attention span will eventually wane
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiap wrote:Hmmm. Maybe?

By Mike Greenaway
    Jul 14, 2020

DURBAN - A South African version of New Zealand’s Super Rugby Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU in Australia is the latest plan on the table for a return to rugby in SA, with a single round Currie Cup to follow.

SA’s Super Rugby competition would feature the four franchises playing each other twice (a total of six games each) and the top two teams on the standings would then go into a final, with no quarters or semis.

After a one-week break the Currie Cup would begin and would include Griquas, the Pumas and possibly the Cheetahs (depending on whether the PRO14 resumes) with the final on 19 December.

Interesting.

It's weird that it's taken two Australian based posters to initiate a discussion about Super Rugby SA.

I hope for their sake that it happens. Although I understand that the SARU has already sold off all their best and brightest players to NH easy rugby players because despite their mythical TV wealth they were stone cold broke the week after Super Rugby was cancelled back in March.
RandomNavigat0r

Ali's Choice wrote:
kiap wrote:Hmmm. Maybe?

By Mike Greenaway
    Jul 14, 2020

Interesting.

It's weird that it's taken two Australian based posters to initiate a discussion about Super Rugby SA.

I hope for their sake that it happens. Although I understand that the SARU has already sold off all their best and brightest players to NH easy rugby players because despite their mythical TV wealth they were stone cold broke the week after Super Rugby was cancelled back in March.
Yes 2 Australian based posters and one foreign un-Australian Twiggy hater.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

RandomNavigat0r wrote:Yes 2 Australian based posters and one foreign un-Australian Twiggy hater.
:yawn:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I saw a news article this morning. There were rats feasting on human blood at a Covid-19 infested saffa hospital.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Anonymous. wrote:I saw a news article this morning. There were rats feasting on human blood at a Covid-19 infested saffa hospital.
That sounds terrible.
handyman

Post by handyman »

We're allowing our players an extended rest period after sensationally winning the RWC last year from absolutely nowhere.

Well deserved I think.
RandomNavigat0r

handyman wrote:We're allowing our players an extended rest period after sensationally winning the RWC last year from absolutely nowhere.

Well deserved I think.
From nowhere? :lol: You were the second favourite on the easy side of the draw ffs. And thats only because you became the first team to win a world cup after losing a pool game.
handyman

Post by handyman »

RandomNavigat0r wrote:
handyman wrote:We're allowing our players an extended rest period after sensationally winning the RWC last year from absolutely nowhere.

Well deserved I think.
From nowhere? :lol: You were the second favourite on the easy side of the draw ffs. And thats only because you became the first team to win a world cup after losing a pool game.
Relax boet. It's been 9 months.

It's a well known fact that the RWC was really between 2 teams, NZ and Eng, but Rassie galvanized the Springboks, got the tactics spot on and the players peaked at the right time.

From nowhere.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

RandomNavigat0r wrote:

Well deserved I think.
Imagine how crap the teams were that couldn't make it to the final.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

SA Rugby announced on Friday that professional teams would return to non-contact training from Monday.

Although SA Rugby has not revealed their preferred model in public, it is expected that an eight-team Currie Cup competition will get underway in late August or early September.

“Several competition formats with various start dates – featuring eight teams – had been modelled for the return to competitive play,” a statement from SA Rugby said.

It was highly unlikely that SA teams will be allowed international travel.

The confirmation followed several weeks of preparation and consultation with government and all provincial unions to ensure compliance with regulation and to minimise the risk of COVID-19 infection.

Eight teams will resume training with a view to competing in domestic competitions that are being modelled by SA Rugby and member unions to be accommodated into the remainder of the year.

The eight teams are: the Bulls, Lions, Sharks, Stormers, Southern Kings, Cheetahs, Griquas and Pumas.
https://rugby365.com/tournaments/currie ... parations/

Seems no "SR" this year only CC
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jensrsa wrote:Seems no "SR" this year only CC
Seems like a good way to go.

How is the COVID situation going in SA? Is sport being played? Will there be restrictions on crowds attending matches?
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Jensrsa wrote:
SA Rugby announced on Friday that professional teams would return to non-contact training from Monday.

Although SA Rugby has not revealed their preferred model in public, it is expected that an eight-team Currie Cup competition will get underway in late August or early September.

“Several competition formats with various start dates – featuring eight teams – had been modelled for the return to competitive play,” a statement from SA Rugby said.

It was highly unlikely that SA teams will be allowed international travel.

The confirmation followed several weeks of preparation and consultation with government and all provincial unions to ensure compliance with regulation and to minimise the risk of COVID-19 infection.

Eight teams will resume training with a view to competing in domestic competitions that are being modelled by SA Rugby and member unions to be accommodated into the remainder of the year.

The eight teams are: the Bulls, Lions, Sharks, Stormers, Southern Kings, Cheetahs, Griquas and Pumas.
https://rugby365.com/tournaments/currie ... parations/

Seems no "SR" this year only CC
In a perfect world that's how things would go within the SANZAAR Unions. Each running an 8 domestic league over 14 rounds with a Champions Cup structure on top. Could even then look at involving some T2 Unions in the equation.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Ali's Choice wrote:

How is the COVID situation going in SA? Is sport being played? Will there be restrictions on crowds attending matches?
Makes sense... no drug testing in CC.
I’m kidding, of course.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Ali's Choice wrote:

Public gatherings are currently restricted
Gatherings
37. (1) All gatherings are prohibited except a gathering at-

(i) sporting activities; subject to directions issued by the Cabinet member responsible for sport after consultation with the Cabinet member responsible for health, in the following manner-
(i) non-contact sports matches, which may only include players, match officials, journalists, medical and television crew; and
(ii) contact sports for training only;
https://www.gov.za/coronavirus/alert-level-3