Alternative Music thread: Have Guitar? Not Metal? Wilkommen

All things Rugby
sockwithaticket

Alternative Music thread: Have Guitar? Not Metal? Wilkommen

Post by sockwithaticket »

I can't be the only one on the bored who's into what can loosely fall under the 'Alternative' music umbrella, i.e. the various genres that aren't conventional rock, but really aren't metal either.

There've been some absolutely cracking albums from new and old artists throughout the gamut of sub-genres in recent years with a lot of old favourites reforming too.

He Is Legend (southern rock inflected post-hardcore for the unfamiliar) have just dropped an awesome new track called White Bat which fuses the sound of their classic Suck Out The Poison album with their most recent and utterly brilliant effort Few.

Last month Thrice's new album Palms came out and it has tracks that touch on pretty much every style they've tried out during their illustrious recording history and in closer Beyond the Pines it's got a song that will inevitably join their pantheon of live favourites. The whole thing's as good as you'd expect from them, consistently one of the most creative post-hardcore bands on the scene, to the point where the genre label often barely applies to what they're doing.

On the lighter side of things an Aussie pop-punk bunch called Stand Atlantic have in the last week released Skinny Dipping which is full of ear worms and has a few tracks with some cool twists on the familiar pop-punk format. Best cuts so far are opener Lavender Bones and Bullfrog whose sing-song gang vocals are a delight.

Anyone else?
Last edited by sockwithaticket on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kill Jester

Re: The Alternative music thread (incl. hardcore, emo, pop-p

Post by Kill Jester »

The brackets describe most of my tunes. Other than post-rock. Wife describes it all generically as "music for 14 year old boys"
sockwithaticket

It's funny when people say things like that, my experience at gigs, even for newer bands like Knuckle Puck, is that teenagers are very thin on the ground. Most UK venues have a 14 - 16s must be accompanied by an adult policy, but even then I tend to see very few who look below 20.

Also tends to revolve around very cliched notions of certain genres just delivering tunes whining about or pining for girls.

Everyone Leaves are a great up and coming emo band (proper emo, like early 2000s style), but they tend to focus on mental health and self improvement lyrically.

Then again I avoid quite a lot of the bleeding edge metalcore and 'post-hardcore' (which no longer seems to describe what it did when I was in me teens, grumble grumble) which the kids are probably into, so it may be that I'm just not at the right gigs.
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

I do part time stage crew work as well as the day job. Have done forever. I mainly hate music due to the amount of pish I see in a certain well known small Glasgow venue

However. The night Saves The Day played all of Stay What You Are in there about 6 or 7 years ago is up there with Metallica on the Puppets tour as the greatest things I've ever seen
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I find these music threads fraught with peril in a way because music heads are still inclined to be the opinionated exclusive clique types they always were and anything one person suggests is likely to be shot down by some cravat wearing martini sipper in the shadows banging out super exclusive reviews of yet unreleased Mongolian punk folk outfits on a pre war Olivetti traveller but f**k that...

the last 5 albums I downloaded, in no particular order

Dakhabrakha... The Road
Kevin Morby... City Music
Khruangbin... The Universe Smiles Upon You (do yourself a favour and get on these guys before they go epic)
Dan Auerbach... Working on A Song
Warpaint...The Fool

I like a varied mix and I've got old enough to not enjoy angsty yelling shit.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

guy smiley wrote: I've got old enough to not enjoy angsty yelling shit.
I just don't understand that bit. Yes, as I've got older my tastes have got even weirder in places. But I still go back to Minor Threat etc. Okay, I now understand that they weren't actually personally talking to me when they wrote Screaming At a Wall, but I still love the noise it makes
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Kill Jester wrote:
I just don't understand that bit. Yes, as I've got older my tastes have got even weirder in places. But I still go back to Minor Threat etc. Okay, I now understand that they weren't actually personally talking to me when they wrote Screaming At a Wall, but I still love the noise it makes
I want music to entertain or charm me, as opposed to being subjected to some loud bastard's personal crusade.
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

But noise can still be entertaining.

Suppose my outlook is a bit strange though due to the aforementioned work. My sights have now been set so low that if a band sound like they've at least met once before the gig, I no longer wish them dead
sockwithaticket

My music library's all over the place, 1920's hot jazz through to deathcore, reckon I'll always have time for some screaming and angst. Just depends what's behind it. More time for someone like Minor Threat and their more contemporary disciples than Ice Nine Kills or Escape the Fate.

Guy, I've not heard of any of your recommendations, so will hop on the old spotify after work to have a listen.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Diego wrote:Love me some Anatolian Rock :thumbup:

Altın Gün - Full Performance (Live on KEXP)
Do you listen to Stuart Maconie by any chance? He's a big fan of Turkish Prog and Rock
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

I think what I really miss is the music press. I know Kerrang still exists, but that boat sailed a long time ago. I miss the inkies telling me what to like

The only sortofa music thing I keep up with is Arctic Drones. And that's all post-rock
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Kill Jester wrote:
Dude, do you know just how old smiley is? He's at least 30.
I remember being that age. Vaguely
sewa

Post by sewa »

Serbian punk rock gods Repetitor live in Zagreb, one of the great days :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV28Ynb27g0
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Kill Jester wrote:
c'mon man... leave me alone. I saw the best gig in the world when I was too young and nothing will ever match it.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

guy smiley wrote:
Kill Jester wrote:
c'mon man... leave me alone. I saw the best gig in the world when I was too young and nothing will ever match it.
Ray Columbus?
ohhh... I wasn't thinking that but now I am :lol: :lol:
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

Best gig in the world ever was Metallica on the Puppets tour. With Anthrax supporting. For £4.50

And 2 weeks later Cliff was gone

fudge I'm old
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Kill Jester wrote:Best gig in the world ever was Metallica on the Puppets tour. With Anthrax supporting. For £4.50

fudge I'm old
yeah...

not a metal fan. Not my thing.

Talking Heads for me. Best. Gig. Ever.
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

guy smiley wrote:
Kill Jester wrote:Best gig in the world ever was Metallica on the Puppets tour. With Anthrax supporting. For £4.50

fudge I'm old
yeah...

David Byrne played a lot of TH stuff in Glasgow last week. Damn good
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Kill Jester wrote:
David Byrne played a lot of TH stuff in Glasgow last week. Damn good
I've seen some of his recent performances on youtube and he's...

a tad embarrassing. Some of the stuff he did with St Vincent was cool but that was probably because I'm vaguely infatuated with the way she dances.
sockwithaticket

Best gig I ever went to was The Bronx supported by themselves as their Mariachi alter egos Mariachi El Bronx at the Thekla in Bristol, which is a boat that's been turned into a venue.

I've seen Thrice annually for the last 3 years and they're always sublime.

Mayday Parade 10th Anniversary show for A Lesson In Romantics was one of the best I've ever been to for crowd participation and general fun.

At the sadly defunct Mean Fiddler I saw Dillinger Escape Plan threatened with being shut down within 2 songs because the vocalist was in the lighting rig one of the guitarists had somehow clambered up a wall into one of the overlooking bars and the other one was on top of the speaker stacks. Only The Chariot at The Underworld rivalled them for on and offstage movement while still delivering an almost note perfect set; stood next to that giant pillar in the middle of the Underworld's floor on of the guitarists just popped up next to me at one point, no idea where he'd come from, before crowd surfing his way back to the stage.

Heady days.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Last month Thrice's new album Palms came out and it has tracks that touch on pretty much every style they've tried out during their illustrious recording history and in closer Beyond the Pines it's got a song that will inevitably join their pantheon of live favourites. The whole thing's as good as you'd expect from them, consistently one of the most creative post-hardcore bands on the scene, to the point where the genre label often barely applies to what they're doing.
Cheers for that! Will look out for it ...

... it's been a struggle to follow several 'edgy' genres I used to be into as many seem way over-produced these days. There's a youtube channel called Dreambound that regularly posts videos for a wide number of bands, but I find too many of them sound like boy bands doing metalcore, post-punk, etc with the vocals.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

As much as I was into the stuff as a teen and whilst at uni, it'd take the powers of a hot and 'interested' woman to get me out to a show these days. I remember appreciating the 'old people' (i.e. in their 30s) when I was at shows, seeing that not all adults were lame, so don't mind that aspect ... too damn loud and too damn crowded for this geezer, I'm afraid. :uhoh:
sockwithaticket

Nieghorn wrote:
Cheers for that! Will look out for it ...

... it's been a struggle to follow several 'edgy' genres I used to be into as many seem way over-produced these days. There's a youtube channel called Dreambound that regularly posts videos for a wide number of bands, but I find too many of them sound like boy bands doing metalcore, post-punk, etc with the vocals.

Nail. Head. A lot of them are very high in the register or really nasal, which just doesn't work for me.

It is super tough to stay current, it requires work. Just after uni in 2011/2012 when loads of my favourites like Thrice and Alexisonfire started going on hiatus/announced splits I dropped out for a few years really and it was so tough to find a way back in even after such a relatively short period of time. Most of the time I just check out who bands I like are bringing on tour with them and on the off chance I find someone who appeals I use the 'fans of____ also like' section on spotify.

Did you catch the Thrice's 2016 release To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere, Niegs? Their excellence is a problem as it reflects negatively on most others purporting to be purveyors of P-H.
Kill Jester

Post by Kill Jester »

If you like listening to people arguing about music

https://www.unsungpod.net/
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Would somebody please get Guy a martini. He obviously doesn’t take it dirty.
booze

Post by booze »

saw pixies paly surfer rosa and come on pilgrim on tuesday and seeing them again tomorrow night.

I came from a strategy meeting with a large energy company beforehand and was a bit frazzled by that so didnt get into the gig as much as I would. tomorrow wil be different.,

I dont mosh anymore and am happy to stand back and enjoy the music.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

This thread is relevant to my interests. My tastes are pretty eclectic, but plenty fall in that sort of bracket. Most of it from the early 2000s and before. Of the genres listed:

Hardcore - Saw Sick of it All as a teenager at Reading Festival in the late 90s and it's probably the most fun I've had in a crowd. Loved the vibe and went to a few hardcore shows over the years before drifting away from it. Still dip back in and out on Spotify though when the mood takes me. A few favourite tracks:
Sick of it All - Step Down
H20 - 5 yr. plan
Agnostic Front - Gotta Gotta Go
Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
Boysetsfire - After the Eulogy
Good Riddance - Heresy, Hypocrisy and Revenge

Emo - Again, mostly 90s and earlier:
Jawbreaker - Ache
Jets to Brazil - Sweet Avenue
Sunny Day Real Estate - Circles
Samiam - Capsized
Rites of Spring - Drink Deep
Marginal Man - Forever Gone

Pop Punk - Plenty of great pop punk that wasn't Green Day back in that era and beyond (who I really liked tbf pre Warning). Couple of personal favourite albums for under appreciated bands were Bouncing Souls (How I Spent my Summer Vacation) and The Lillingtons (Death by Television)
Bouncing Souls - True Believers
The Lillingtons - Black Hole in my Mind
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Me and Mia
Teenage Bottle Rocket - Skate or Die
The Methadones - So Far Away
Teenage Bottlerocket - They Call Me Steve

Plenty more post hardcore, skate punk and punk revival to cover, but can wait for another day.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mr bungle wrote:Would somebody please get Guy a martini. He obviously doesn’t take it dirty.
You want fries with your angst burger?
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

I occasionally go back and listen to music from my teenage years. Most of it I’ve left behind but some still sounds as good now as it did 15 years ago.

Taking back Sunday - tell all your friends came up on my iTunes recently. I still love that album. All just so good.

Something that I got into later but I guess is within this Fred is Frank Turner. I’ve been obsessed by his music for years, went to see him around 5 years ago and he was excellent.
booze

Post by booze »

guy smiley wrote:

fudge I'm old
yeah...

The stop making sense live album was a cultural phenomenon in NZ. It was everywhere, still bring it out now and again and it is still class
booze

Post by booze »

guy smiley wrote:
mr bungle wrote:Would somebody please get Guy a martini. He obviously doesn’t take it dirty.
You want fries with your angst burger?
get out of this thread happy smiley guy :x
Farva

Post by Farva »

Top gigs for me
Strike Anywhere at the Enigma Bar in Adelaide
Pulley at the Adelaide Uni bar
59 Times the Pain at Enigma Bar
Gorrila Biscuit at Enigma Bar
Death by Stereo and Strung Out at Fowlers
No Fun At All at Fowlers
Farva

Post by Farva »

I loved Thrice up to the Artist and the Ambulance. After that I lost interest.
sockwithaticket

:thumbup:

Classic emo
Finch - Perfection Through Silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjycAEarnTk

The new breed
Everyone Leaves - Seasonal Affective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsBEcihvnUA

Farva wrote:I loved Thrice up to the Artist and the Ambulance. After that I lost interest.
It's funny, they're far away one of my favourite bands and I love stuff from TAITA now, but when it came out I was a full on metalhead and it just completely passed me by. Vheissu and the first vol. of The Alchemy Index are what grabbed me. I get that that was quite a departure for people who'd followed them from before that point and certain albums announce changes you just can't go with. Hot Damn by Every Time I Die is bloody brilliant, the follow up and everything subsequent have never quite got me in the same way.
Last edited by sockwithaticket on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I bought Vheissu but just couldnt get in to it. Up to that point Thrice were one of my favourite bands.
Dont think Ive listened to them now for over a decade. Might go do that today.
sockwithaticket

Margin_Walker wrote:
Spoiler: show
This thread is relevant to my interests. My tastes are pretty eclectic, but plenty fall in that sort of bracket. Most of it from the early 2000s and before. Of the genres listed:

Hardcore - Saw Sick of it All as a teenager at Reading Festival in the late 90s and it's probably the most fun I've had in a crowd. Loved the vibe and went to a few hardcore shows over the years before drifting away from it. Still dip back in and out on Spotify though when the mood takes me. A few favourite tracks:
H20 - 5 yr. plan

Jawbreaker - Ache
Samiam - Capsized

Pop Punk - Plenty of great pop punk that wasn't Green Day back in that era and beyond (who I really liked tbf pre Warning). Couple of personal favourite albums for under appreciated bands were Bouncing Souls (How I Spent my Summer Vacation) and The Lillingtons (Death by Television)

Plenty more post hardcore, skate punk and punk revival to cover, but can wait for another day.
Early Boysetsfire is the shit. I finally got to see them on their farewell tour in 2012 (have since re-formed, of course) got a little dusty when the played Rookie and Loser of the Year Award. Hopped back and forth between hardcore and post-

Saw Bane bow out while on tour with Comeback Kid a couple of years back, they were great. Ante Up turned the pit into a battlefield.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ba ... ORM=VRDGAR

One of my current favourite pop-punk songs, Slam by Seaway. A lot of their stuff is a bit meh, but this one's a banger. Short and sweet with some gruff and gang vocals along with the cleaner ones youd expect.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=se ... ORM=VRDGAR
sockwithaticket

Farva wrote:I bought Vheissu but just couldnt get in to it. Up to that point Thrice were one of my favourite bands.
Dont think Ive listened to them now for over a decade. Might go do that today.
You'd probably like A Branch In The River off the new album.
Farva

Post by Farva »

sockwithaticket wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Spoiler: show

H20 - 5 yr. plan

Jawbreaker - Ache
Samiam - Capsized

Early Boysetsfire is the shit. I finally got to see them on their farewell tour in 2012 (have since re-formed, of course) got a little dusty when the played Rookie and Loser of the Year Award. Hopped back and forth between hardcore and post-

Saw Bane bow out while on tour with Comeback Kid a couple of years back, they were great. Ante Up turned the pit into a battlefield.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ba ... ORM=VRDGAR

One of my current favourite pop-punk songs, Slam by Seaway. A lot of their stuff is a bit meh, but this one's a banger. Short and sweet with some gruff and gang vocals along with the cleaner ones youd expect.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=se ... ORM=VRDGAR
Saw Boysetsfire open Warped Tour around 2005 or so. They were bloody good.
Never saw Bane but got in to them quite a bit mid 2000s but after a while all of their music was too similar.
Could never really see the hype of Comeback Kid.
Saw Gallows at a festival around 2010. They were tight and the lead singer knew how to run the crowd. Saw Enter Shikari at the same festival and ditched Faith No More to see them. Bungle will think I was mad but it was worth it.