COvID - the end of traditional office hours as we know them?

All things Rugby
sewa

Re: COvID - the end of traditional office hours as we know t

Post by sewa »

DOB wrote:
I've been on the kitchen table since March. It's awful.
Have you tried sitting on a chair in front of it?
DOB

Post by DOB »

sewa wrote:
DOB wrote:
I can't see my monitor on top of the cupboard then.
sewa

Post by sewa »

DOB wrote:
sewa wrote:
DOB wrote:
I can't see my monitor on top of the cupboard then.
:lol: :thumbup:
AlanBengio

Post by AlanBengio »

jdogscoop wrote:
AlanBengio wrote:Working from home since March - going back in September probably on a 3/2 days routine
I am having my post-lockdown breakfast right know near the park; I will walk to buy newspapers then I will walk home to start working. I am planning to switch PC on around 9.30
Lots of money saved at present

Edit going to the swimming pools park (alone) for lunch break and some rest
Keep saving hard AB because you'll need that money when you're fired, you lazy shit.
Actually by chance I had bought an house down in southern Italy - a small town 8 km from Adriatic Sea
- end of last year. An house which belonged to my grandparents and was long abandoned basically; it is placed on the town center, top of the hill. You park your car down the road and you reach it at the top after 10 min walk.
Very ancient house; the road leading to that is sided by the remains of an hold Norman church dedicated to Saint George. I paid off the relatives for a ludicrous amount (7000 Eur), as no one really wanted it.
It turned out to be the best deal ever, as I almost completed the refurbishment for other ridiculous amount, and I plan to pass many days working from there in the future.
Next year if I am still here - from June to September you’ll find me there.
Small town of 5000 people; cheap, plenty of superb food, wine and good women :D
Best way out of this Covid mess, to enjoy life in a better way
I am actually going down in two weeks time

I imagine many people are doing or planning something similar nowadays
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

It's an interesting one, during lockdown when we were having teams meetings, everyone was going, yeah loving the working from home, so much more productive and don't have to waste time sitting in a car/airport train etc, oh travel wil be cut back so much because we can do some much over these platforms...fast forward to level one and everybody was back on planes flying around the country having meetings etc.
Most of us need that face to face interaction, especially when it comes to things like training, doing a training session over teams on using new software or operators program is f**king boring and it's very hard to keep an audience captivated, not so face to face.
A blend of home and office is perfect 2/3 for me
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Video conferencing etc are never as productive as getting a whole bunch of people around a table.

But for most things outside of meetings, I found working from home more productive. Even, the sorts of short meetings that have always been done via a tele or video conferencing as you could do with access to all of your systems and without having to try and shut out other people's calls, or worry about what yours might sound like.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

https://jamesaltucher.com/blog/nyc-is-d ... dential%29

Long form blog post titled "New York is Dead Forever". Whether true or not, time will tell, but the case is laid out pretty well by an author resident and he touches on multiple items.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Flyin Ryan wrote:https://jamesaltucher.com/blog/nyc-is-d ... dential%29

Long form blog post titled "New York is Dead Forever". Whether true or not, time will tell, but the case is laid out pretty well by an author resident and he touches on multiple items.

Good article and a good argument. London will suffer similarly if he’s right.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Going in tomorrow to clear my desk.

WFH will be permanent. My desk is no longer my desk and will be a hot desk
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

The company I work for have moved the office. I've not been in it yet, maybe next month.
There are no phones or internet connected yet, just the old furniture and equipment being stored.
I'm actually still on furlough. I do not expect the current circumstances to change this year, except I won't be paid.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Fat Old Git wrote:Video conferencing etc are never as productive as getting a whole bunch of people around a table.

But for most things outside of meetings, I found working from home more productive. Even, the sorts of short meetings that have always been done via a tele or video conferencing as you could do with access to all of your systems and without having to try and shut out other people's calls, or worry about what yours might sound like.
Rubbish.

We managed to cut our usual hour meetings with the C-Levels to 30 minutes and everything was actioned promptly.

It made people realise that these standard meetings involve a lot of waste.

All the people bleating about WFH not being productive are deadset those who are always popping out for coffee/smoko/having a chat about something non-work related.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:Video conferencing etc are never as productive as getting a whole bunch of people around a table.

Rubbish.

We managed to cut our usual hour meetings with the C-Levels to 30 minutes and everything was actioned promptly.

It made people realise that these standard meetings involve a lot of waste.

All the people bleating about WFH not being productive are deadset those who are always popping out for coffee/smoko/having a chat about something non-work related.
Nah, its not rubbish at all. Video calls feature a lot of unintended talking over each other and other issues that don't arise when you are physically together.

When you have a topic that requires vigorous debate from several parties, video calls pale in comparison to physical meetings.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Nah, its not rubbish at all. Video calls feature a lot of unintended talking over each other and other issues that don't arise when you are physically together.

When you have a topic that requires vigorous debate from several parties, video calls pale in comparison to physical meetings.
In your field maybe.

My job is to faciliate meetings - everyone involved (in an organisation that historically never had ANY working from home) has mentioned that Teams makes it much easier for meetings to run and they get more out of the meeting as people are focused.

Anyway, it's the future.... I'll not be working 5 days in an office again.