Local - 3.35 pm NZ

WHERE:
Auckland, NZ

VENUE

Eden Park , Auckland

MATCH OFFICIALS:

Referee: Brendon Pickerill

TEAMS:

BLUES: Matt Duffie, Mark Telea, Rieko Ioane, TJ Faiane, Caleb Clarke, Beauden Barrett, Finlay Christie; Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Blake Gibson, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Patrick Tuipulotu (capt), Ofa Tuungafasi, Kurt Eklund, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Luteru Tolai, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Sione Mafileo, Josh Goodhue, Tony Lamborn, Sam Nock, Otere Black, Harry Plummer.

CHIEFS: Damian McKenzie, Sean Wainui, Anton Lienert-Brown, Alex Nankivell, Solomon Alaimalo, Kaleb Trask, Brad Weber, Pita Gus Sowakula, Sam Cane (c), Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Tupou Vaa’i, Nepo Laulala, Bradley Slater, Reuben O’Neill. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Ollie Norris, Ross Geldenhuys, Adam Thomson, Mitchell Karpik, Lisati Milo-Harris, Aaron Cruden, Quinn Tupaea.

27,000 tickets sold so far and with fine weather forecast I reckon they will get over 35,000 on match day.

Bring it on - the rot stops here
Last edited by Enzedder on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiwinoz

Re: Super Rugby Rd 7. Blues Vs Chiefs

Post by kiwinoz »

At least one Kiwi side now knows how the Blues felt.
FujiKiwi

Post by FujiKiwi »

Blues: Matt Duffie, Mark Telea, Rieko Ioane, TJ Faiane, Caleb Clarke, Beauden Barrett, Finlay Christie, Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Blake Gibson, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Patrick Tuipulotu (c), Ofa Tuungafasi, Kurt Eklund, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Luteru Tolai, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Sione Mafileo, Josh Goodhue, Tony Lamborn, Sam Nock, Otere Black, Harry Plummer.

Chiefs: Damian McKenzie, Sean Wainui, Anton Lienert-Brown, Alex Nankivell, Solomon Alaimalo, Kaleb Trask, Brad Weber, Pita Gus Sowakula, Sam Cane (c), Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Tupou Vaa’i, Nepo Laulala, Bradley Slater, Reuben O’Neill. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Ollie Norris, Ross Geldenhuys, Adam Thomson, Mitchell Karpik, Lisati Milo-Harris, Aaron Cruden, Quinn Tupaea.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Tier 1 international sides have shown the way to shut down a backline led by Beauden Barrett at 10.

Rush defence.

One would expect Gatland to have the Chiefs respond to this selection accordingly.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Finally, BB at 10... licence to thrill facing a rookie 10 but would love to see BB dominate a game through his strategic kicking, picking his moments to run and most importantly creating space/time for his outside backs.

Hoping the Chiefs win this though.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm struggling to understand why Macdonald would drop Black for BB. BB has been playing plenty of minutes at 10 anyway, and there is no doubt that Black has been the better performed 1st five.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Ali's Choice wrote:I'm struggling to understand why Macdonald would drop Black for BB. BB has been playing plenty of minutes at 10 anyway, and there is no doubt that Black has been the better performed 1st five.
Didn't Black pick up a knock last week? Maybe giving him a breather?

Edit. Yep, slight neck injury and bracketed on bench.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Tussock wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:I'm struggling to understand why Macdonald would drop Black for BB. BB has been playing plenty of minutes at 10 anyway, and there is no doubt that Black has been the better performed 1st five.
Neither of those are plausible options because he is on the bench.

Maybe they just want to see how BB goes starting at 10?
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Tussock wrote:

Black bracketed on bench... supppse they'll make a call on the day.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I;m really keen to see how the Chiefs respond this week. Last weekend's loss must have been soul destroying.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Watching the 1997 version of this now. Hard to believe the quality of the blues back then.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Tussock wrote:

Black was injured last week.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Tussock wrote:Finally, BB at 10... licence to thrill facing a rookie 10 but would love to see BB dominate a game through his strategic kicking, picking his moments to run and most importantly creating space/time for his outside backs.

:lol: I suspect you'll be waiting a while.

If Gatland wants to break his Super Rugby duck, he should be instructing his loose forwards and inside backs to shut Barrett down quickly.

Get up sharpish on Barrett and you'll force mistakes. Give him space and he will fvck you up badly.

Which, of course, is why he's better suited to fullback.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

jdogscoop wrote:
Tussock wrote:Finally, BB at 10... licence to thrill facing a rookie 10 but would love to see BB dominate a game through his strategic kicking, picking his moments to run and most importantly creating space/time for his outside backs.

:lol: I suspect you'll be waiting a while.

If Gatland wants to break his Super Rugby duck, he should be instructing his loose forwards and inside backs to shut Barrett down quickly.

Get up sharpish on Barrett and you'll force mistakes. Give him space and he will fvck you up badly.

Which, of course, is why he's better suited to fullback.
Can't really disagree with any of that.

As a discussion piece do you see BB as the All Blacks fullback at the next World Cup? For me, it's Will Jordan (if he continues to impress and his all-around fullback game develops) over BB, Jordie, McKenzie and Havili. I'd have BB on the bench though (which I think is his best AB's spot).
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Jdog, you actually want to see BB fail don’t you? I certainly get that impression.
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

Thanks be to the employer for the comps. 8)
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Kingsland, we shall fight on the trains and buses, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our isthmus, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the leafy avenues, we shall fight in the bars and in the cafes, we shall fight in the water pipelines (ahem); we shall never surrender!
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

Me too. We have gotten better but the loss at the death last week might give our team a bit more resolve. We just need to defend better than last week as the Blues are hard to stop once they get a rumble on in the forwards. We can win as we love beating them at Eden Park.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I still amused that the majority of professional rugby players in NZ think BB is the best 10 in the country.
Be good to see what he can do.

As for the Chiefs it’s been a shocking start.
They got to get better and improve defence.
I like that there is ALB and AN in the centre.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Tussock wrote:

Seems to be that, Rangi did say last week he thought Black would be out long term. Must want to look at BB at 10 as you say!
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Wilderbeast wrote:Jdog, you actually want to see BB fail don’t you? I certainly get that impression.
I don't want to see him fail. I think he'll probably make a decent fist of it at 10 at this level, but it will be tiresome if the Chiefs give him time and space and he cuts a merry caper.

The reason I say that is because the legion of know nothing fuckwits will immediately call for him to be reinstated at 10 for the All Blacks, which those of us who actually know something about rugby know to be counter-productive.

What we need is the Chiefs to play aggressive defence and really test Barrett as a 10 at this level, not just at test level (where for me he has largely failed).

Richie Mo'unga is thrice the fvcking 10 that Barrett will ever be and needs to play 100 tests for the ABs there.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

jdogscoop wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Jdog, you actually want to see BB fail don’t you? I certainly get that impression.
I don't want to see him fail. I think he'll probably make a decent fist of it at 10 at this level, but it will be tiresome if the Chiefs give him time and space and he cuts a merry caper.

The reason I say that is because the legion of know nothing fuckwits will immediately call for him to be reinstated at 10 for the All Blacks, which those of us who actually know something about rugby know to be counter-productive.

What we need is the Chiefs to play aggressive defence and really test Barrett as a 10 at this level, not just at test level (where for me he has largely failed).

Richie Mo'unga is thrice the fvcking 10 that Barrett will ever be and needs to play 100 tests for the ABs there.

Well I don't want to upset BB by booing him but I can't help but agree with the scoopy one. Rm is the best 10 in NZ. Not in a winning team this weekend :P But still a superb first five who is the AB incumbant. BB can have a cry and watch Jordie take his AB spot!
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

After that start to the season that gave me hope, nice to see the Blues are back to being a 60 minute side.

Hey is there playoffs in SRA or is it just top of the ladder. If so, hand the title over to the Crusaders now.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Technically BB is not even the best 10 or 15 in the competition

He is however the best utility backup 10/15 we got at the moment.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Deadtigers wrote:After that start to the season that gave me hope, nice to see the Blues are back to being a 60 minute side.

Hey is there playoffs in SRA or is it just top of the ladder. If so, hand the title over to the Crusaders now.
Top of the log wins it. It's why last night was so important.

Also good reason that NZR planners gave the crusaders the bye in the first round.

Hoping blues get back on track to setup blockbusting final round at eden park
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

I would love to see the Chiefs throw the ball around a bit, no silly stuff, but they seem to have stopped playing the way they did last year. Not sure if Gatland has influenced that, but they need to use the ball like we know they can. :nod:
naki

Post by naki »

Apparently another 30k + crowd expected for this one. Would surely have to go back to the late nineties for the Blues to be drawing so consistently well. Lose a couple more, and we'll see ...
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Daytime rugby, with loads of kids.

That’s what builds connections with rugby, rugby teams etc.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Two seriously good backrows.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Would like some critics to be silenced today if possible. A chiefs win for Gatland would be nice, but I would also like BB to do well at ten.
the curse

Post by the curse »

love the trophy in the OP.. shame we dont get to see it properly because of the friggin ads :x

I can only see Barrett creeping sideways all day and limiting the space of his outsides. just my opinion mind.
BBB

Post by BBB »

jdogscoop wrote:Richie Mo'unga is thrice the fvcking 10 that Barrett will ever be and needs to play 100 tests for the ABs there.
It’s obvious you’re a big Mo’unga fan,but that sentence is ridiculous.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

the curse wrote:love the trophy in the OP.. shame we dont get to see it properly because of the friggin ads :x

Easy to see here :P https://www.notplanetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=263
the curse

Post by the curse »

Enzedder wrote:
the curse wrote:love the trophy in the OP.. shame we dont get to see it properly because of the friggin ads :x

Easy to see here :P https://www.notplanetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=263
thank you sir.

such a thing of beauty :thumbup:
the curse

Post by the curse »

I can only see Barrett creeping sideways all day and limiting the space of his outsides. just my opinion mind.
first 10 mins in and he's proven me wrong so far :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Weber's passes have a tendency to be quite high, forcing the receiver to have to slow down and reach up to take them
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

I was just writing a post asking if it was too early for Gatland OUT and the Chiefs score. :lol:
Roadman

Post by Roadman »

Basic school boy errors early from the Chiefs giving territory to the Blues. ALB is having a shocker at centre on defence missing tackles and as the senior not organizing that midfield
Last edited by Roadman on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Tana "Stanza" Umaga...
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

The Blues discipline has been terrible this season.
Couch

Post by Couch »

It's like Gatland has coached the flair out of the Chiefs back play, Jesus they look clueless out there.