16. Andrew Makalio
17. Isi Tu'ungafasi
18. Oliver Jager
19. Quinten Strange
20. Billy Harmon
21. Bryn Hall
22. Brett Cameron
23. Leicester Fainga’anuku.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Re: Chiefs vs Crusaders: MATCH THREAD: Sat 1st August

Post by Ali's Choice »

Very excited for this match. The Chiefs may be 0-6 but they have been very close in almost all those losses. With so many injuries across both squads, this match is really open and I'm certainly very respectful of the Chiefs and aware of what they are capable of.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Shit news for Chiefs fans that Alaimalo is out of the rest of the competition. Caleb Clarke is a f**king grub.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Left buying my tickets a little late. Had to be happy with seats just out from the goal line so, even though we are 6 - 0, the fans haven't deserted them yet.
naki

Post by naki »

Ali's Choice wrote:Shit news for Chiefs fans that Alaimalo is out of the rest of the competition. Caleb Clarke is a f**king grub.
If you thought that was intentional you're insane. He comes into try and make a last ditch tackle, can't pull out once he's committed, and unintentionally squashes the poor bugger. The last thing we needed was losing a player of Alaimalo's quality, but Clarke was reckless at worst rather than grubby.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Seriously hope the Chiefs get up for this.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

naki wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Shit news for Chiefs fans that Alaimalo is out of the rest of the competition. Caleb Clarke is a f**king grub.
If you thought that was intentional you're insane. He comes into try and make a last ditch tackle, can't pull out once he's committed, and unintentionally squashes the poor bugger. The last thing we needed was losing a player of Alaimalo's quality, but Clarke was reckless at worst rather than grubby.
I don't think he intended to rub him out for the season. But I do think Clarke deliberately landed on a prone player who was in the act of scoring a try.
naki

Post by naki »

Ali's Choice wrote:
naki wrote:
I don't think he intended to rub him out for the season. But I do think Clarke deliberately landed on a prone player who was in the act of scoring a try.
Deliberately? Perhaps you're just more cynical than me

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

naki wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
naki wrote:

I think Clarke knew that he would initiate contact, but I doubt he meant to end his season/career. Reckless is probably the better term to use. Of I was a Chiefs fan I'd be livid.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote:
naki wrote:
And with no chance of stopping him scoring the try.
naki

Post by naki »

Ali's Choice wrote:
naki wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
naki wrote:

I think Clarke knew that he would initiate contact, but I doubt he meant to end his season/career. Reckless is probably the better term to use. Of I was a Chiefs fan I'd be livid.
Reckless is right. But if I was livid then I'd have to allow myself to also be livid at whatever Chiefs player recklessly but unintentionally injured a player the next time it happens. And it will probably happen this weekend.
naki

Post by naki »

Kiwias wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
naki wrote:
And with no chance of stopping him scoring the try.
There's always a chance, no rugby player worth his salt is just going to let a player dot it down without trying to stop him, a split-second earlier and he's got a fighting chance. Clarke didn't make it in time, but can't disappear into thin air once he's committed.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

You see that sort of last ditch attempt all the time but it doesn't usually result in injury. It's a real shame the player is out for the season but labeling Clarke a grub for that is pretty harsh.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Crusaders named

Will Jordan
Sevu Reece
Fetuli Paea
Jack Goodhue
George Bridge
Richie Mo’unga
Mitchell Drummond

Tom Sanders
Tom Christie
Sione Havili
Mitchell Dunshea
Samuel Whitelock
Michael Alaalatoa
Codie Taylor (captain)
George Bower

Reserves:
Andrew Makalio
Isi Tu'ungafasi
Oliver Jager
Quinten Strange
Billy Harmon
Bryn Hall
Brett Cameron
Leicester Fainga’anuku.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Big losses with Whetu Douglas and Joe Moody out
A family bereavement has rubbed Crusaders prop Joe Moody out of Saturday night’s crunch clash with the Chiefs in Hamilton.

Moody was initially named in the team when the Crusaders held their Thursday morning media session at Rugby Park, before he was scratched early in the afternoon.

The All Black loosehead is one of two forwards to join an already lengthy list of unavailable players, with No 8 Whetukamokamo Douglas also set to watch from afar.

Douglas, who sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left-knee during the second half of last week’s defeat to the Hurricanes, joins a stack of other dinged up players on the sideline: Scott Barrett, Braydon Ennor, David Havili, Cullen Grace and Ethan Blackadder.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Enz - good news on tickets (that high demand - not for you), especially as night game.

For the chiefs ... they’re playing for pride (I do think they played really well in parts). Most of NZ will be supporting them, if only to open up the comp. saders look good but not best (their 9s have been the best pair this year).

Hope for a chiefs win and a great game.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I think the chiefs could salvage a fair bit of reputation if they overcome a crusaders outfit who are playing well. It would have been a lot better if the hurricanes didn’t beat them to it though.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Players need to take responsibility and look out for the safety of their workmates hence why we have seen the trend over the past few years to punish contact to the head. Clarke gets the benefit of the doubt because he is young but he needs to be careful a pattern of behaviour doesn't emerge.

Crusaders by 13
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Lots of injured Crusaders. Chiefs could burgle this one.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote:Lots of injured Crusaders. Chiefs could burgle this one.
Yup, Moody and Douglas are a quarter of our starting pack, and to lose them both for the same match is terrible luck. The pack we have named for this match is the weakest we have ever named to start a competition game.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Don't worry about positions on the ladder or losing streaks, playing the Chiefs away missing 6 first choice players, including half our starting pack, will be a tough contest.

If we're being brutally honest, outside of Taylor and Whitelock that's a journeyman pack. I certainly can't remember the Crusaders ever naming a weaker loose forward trio. Cane and Boshier could have a field day.

Is Romano still in the squad? I'm surprised he hasn't been sighted given all our forward injuries. Dunshea to 6 and Romano to lock wouldn't be a bad option.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mrbrownstone wrote:Don't worry about positions on the ladder or losing streaks, playing the Chiefs away missing 6 first choice players, including half our starting pack, will be a tough contest.

If we're being brutally honest, outside of Taylor and Whitelock that's a journeyman pack. I certainly can't remember the Crusaders ever naming a weaker loose forward trio. Cane and Boshier could have a field day.
I'd also say that Ala'alatoa is better than journeyman status. The Crusaders scrum hasn't been bested this season and he's started at TH prop for every game.

Sam Whitelock has played as many SR games as all his fellow starting forwards combined except for Mike Ala'alatoa. This is a baby pack. The backline is still very strong, although they will miss Brayden Ennor like they did last week.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:Don't worry about positions on the ladder or losing streaks, playing the Chiefs away missing 6 first choice players, including half our starting pack, will be a tough contest.

I'd also say that Ala'alatoa is better than journeyman status. The Crusaders scrum hasn't been bested this season and he's started at TH prop for every game.

Sam Whitelock has played as many SR games as all his fellow starting forwards combined except for Mike Ala'alatoa. This is a baby pack. The backline is still very strong, although they will miss Brayden Ennor like they did last week.
Yeah fair point, a bit harsh on Ala'alatoa, he's been quality for a while and stepped up seamlessly since Franks' departure.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Here's my elaborate fantasy: Chiefs win, Landers win and Canes, Blues and Crusaders all have a chance in the final round...is that mathematically possible?

Meanwhile, here's an allegorical Crusaders' fan, 36 hours from now...

JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:Here's my elaborate fantasy: Chiefs win, Landers win and Canes, Blues and Crusaders all have a chance in the final round...is that mathematically possible?

Possible.. btw there are two rounds after this weeks round.

Week 7
Canes v Chiefs
Crusaders v Landers

Week 8
Landers vs Canes
Blues v Crusaders
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:Here's my elaborate fantasy: Chiefs win, Landers win and Canes, Blues and Crusaders all have a chance in the final round...is that mathematically possible?

Possible.. btw there are two rounds after this weeks round.

Week 7
Canes v Chiefs
Crusaders v Landers

Week 8
Landers vs Canes
Blues v Crusaders
I think for it to be all on in the last round:

-Blues win this week (no BP)
-Canes win next week (BP)
-Crusaders lose at least one of the next 2

Would leave the ladder as

Crusaders 24 (assuming 1 win + losing BP)
Blues 21
Canes 21
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

^^ Yeah, the only thing I would add is getting a winning bonus point is pretty hard to do. Losing BP are easy.. If the Canes don't get a BP win in the next 2 games they can't win.

Bonus points after 7 rounds

Winning = 2 (Both Crusaders)
Losing = 9 (5 x Chiefs, 2 x Highlanders, 1 x Blues, 1 x Crusaders)
Dark

Post by Dark »

Just doing my SuperBru picks

Toughy

Should I do Crusaders by 20 or 30?

Advice needed
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Dark

Post by Dark »

Shrekles wrote:30

Thinking 37

You get more points for getting closest to the score.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

As nearly all the games have been I'm expecting this to be closer than most think. Crusaders by 8
Dark

Post by Dark »

JPNZ wrote:As nearly all the games have been I'm expecting this to be closer than most think. Crusaders by 8
That score is probably what the Chiefs players will dream of getting beaten by, with a wry warming smile, as they sleep tonight. Only to be man shammed.

I feel for them.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

F**k you all (most of you).

Chiefs by 3-5.

Your ours, again.

Like good over evil, the Jedi over the Darkside, once again the north shall overcome the racist south...
Dark

Post by Dark »

kiwigreg369 wrote:F**k you all (most of you).

Chiefs by 3-5.

Your ours, again.

Like good over evil, the Jedi over the Darkside, once again the north shall overcome the racist south...
This may happen. But the purity of my simple, humble, southern, underdog team may just manage to turn the corner at the end against them for their kids and families and win for the community.....Especially the disabled ones. And kids without parents.

I see it being a tough but good game
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

The Chiefs came bloody close to upsetting the Crusaders on a gloomy, wet Canterbury day so with home advantage anything is possible. The Chiefs are due. Chiefs by 3.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

kiwigreg369 wrote:F**k you all (most of you).

Chiefs by 3-5.

Your ours, again.

:nod:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The lineout will be decide this match. If the Crusaders can somehow get their recent lineout woes sorted, and maintain parity at scrum time without Moody, they they are in with a chance to win. Because they won't match the Chiefs in the loose and at the breakdown, we know that. Our backrow of Christie, Sanders and Havili is the least experienced and least capable backrow in the history of Crusader rugby. That's not hyperbole, that just fact.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Ali's Choice wrote:Our backrow of Christie, Sanders and Havili is the least experienced and least capable backrow in the history of Crusader rugby. That's not hyperbole, that just fact.
Dean Coleman, Angus Gardiner and Todd Blackadder started against the Chiefs without even a single Super Rugby cap between them.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Mr Mike wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Our backrow of Christie, Sanders and Havili is the least experienced and least capable backrow in the history of Crusader rugby. That's not hyperbole, that just fact.
Dean Coleman, Angus Gardiner and Todd Blackadder started against the Chiefs without even a single Super Rugby cap between them.
Was that in 1996 back in the first season of SR?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Was that in 1996 back in the first season of SR?
Well spotted.