SR Aotearoa 'Team of the Week' Round 8

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

SR Aotearoa 'Team of the Week' Round 8

Post by Ali's Choice »

15. Will Jordan
14. Sevu Reece
13. Reiko Ioane: probably the hardest selection, no stand out centres this week but RI was strong on both sides of the ball
12. Jack Goodhue
11. Caleb Clarke
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Finlay Christie

8. Pita Gus Sowakula
7. Dillon Hunt
6. Lachlan Boshier
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
2. Codie Taylor
1. George Bower

Player of the Week: Pita Gus Sowakula

Unlucky omissions: Akira Ioane, Beauden Barrett, George Bridge, Sam Cane, Mike Ala'alatoa, Shannon Frizell

Dane Coles Award: Folau Fakatava - for sporting the worst haircut in the history of NZ Rugby. A bleached blonde mullet.
UncleFB

Re: SR Aotearoa 'Team of the Week' Round 8

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:

Unlucky omissions: Akira Ioane, Beauden Barrett, George Bridge, Sam Cane, Mike Ala'alatoa, Shannon Frizell

Dane Coles Award: Folau Fakatava - for sporting the worst haircut in the history of NZ Rugby. A bleached blonde mullet.
I was only half watching last night as I was at a party, but Sowakula must have been beyond awesome... are you sure you're giving your cuz enough credit?

Agree with your Dane Coles award, I'm almost wishing we cold ban him from returning to Hawkes Bay due to that hair. But surely Nock should share the award, initially I thought Nock was on both teams.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

I was only half watching last night as I was at a party, but Sowakula must have been beyond awesome... are you sure you're giving your cuz enough credit?

Agree with your Dane Coles award, I'm almost wishing we cold ban him from returning to Hawkes Bay due to that hair. But surely Nock should share the award, initially I thought Nock was on both teams.
Ioane was great, especially on defense. But Sowakula was immense. The metres that he made off the back of a well beaten scrum were so valuable.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Ioane was great, especially on defense. But Sowakula was immense. The metres that he made off the back of a well beaten scrum were so valuable.
Was he MOTM like Akira?

So typical of you to favour the fancy attacker over the ruck clearing, turnover winning, offensive tackling guy. ;)
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:So typical of you to favour the fancy attacker over the ruck clearing, turnover winning, offensive tackling guy. ;)
I'm sorry I wasn't able to name Akira Ioane in all 15 positions :P
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:So typical of you to favour the fancy attacker over the ruck clearing, turnover winning, offensive tackling guy. ;)
I'm sorry I wasn't able to name Akira Ioane in all 15 positions :P
I was only suggesting one position. :x
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Good team. Finlay Christie had a great match. R. Ioane is getting busier and busier at centre.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

15. Will Jordan
14. Sevu Reece
13. Reiko Ioane: probably the hardest selection, no stand out centres this week but RI was strong on both sides of the ball
12. Jack Goodhue
11. Caleb Clarke
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Finlay Christie

8. Pita Gus Sowakula
7. Dillon Hunt
6. Lachlan Boshier
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Patrick Tuipulotu
3. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
2. Codie Taylor
1. George Bower

For the first time, nothing to argue about there :)
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Thought Dalton Papalii played well, strong over the ball and support.

Would like to see Boshier at 7 and Cane at 6.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Still have DickMo as player of the week here. He didn't miss a trick last night (albeit behind a dominant pack)
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The standout in that team is the continuing development of Jack Goodhue at 12. That should have every AB fan trying awkwardly to hide their hard on in mixed company.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Do we want him at 12 or 13? Is he the next ALB?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

You’re asking the question from the wrong angle mate...

Do we want two ALB’s or two Jack Goodhues? Having two clearly talented players able to play both midfield roles should excite everyone who has faith the coaching panel would be able to capitalise on that...

oooh. Damn.
Noob

Post by Noob »

Enzedder wrote:Still have DickMo as player of the week here. He didn't miss a trick last night (albeit behind a dominant pack)
His kicking wasn't up to his usual standards I feel. Still comfortably the best 10 going around, in my opinion, but an off night from the tee
Roadman

Post by Roadman »

guy smiley wrote:You’re asking the question from the wrong angle mate...

Do we want two ALB’s or two Jack Goodhues? Having two clearly talented players able to play both midfield roles should excite everyone who has faith the coaching panel would be able to capitalise on that...

oooh. Damn.
Correct. If we were playing a test tomorrow then they would be the starting midfield. If one looked at where the next mid field youngsters are currently developing it is at centre with Ioane and Ennor.
Seems logical especially in Goodhue’s case is to play him at inside to allow Ennor to develop outside at Soup level with the partnership developed ready for a higher level as one option if ALB goes down.
Only thing with Goodhue is while in the first game or two inside he was strong in d as he reliability is at centre but in the last two games his defence is all over the place with half tackles, part tackles.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Roadman wrote:
guy smiley wrote:You’re asking the question from the wrong angle mate...

oooh. Damn.
Correct. If we were playing a test tomorrow then they would be the starting midfield. If one looked at where the next mid field youngsters are currently developing it is at centre with Ioane and Ennor.
Seems logical especially in Goodhue’s case is to play him at inside to allow Ennor to develop outside at Soup level with the partnership developed ready for a higher level as one option if ALB goes down.
Only thing with Goodhue is while in the first game or two inside he was strong in d as he reliability is at centre but in the last two games his defence is all over the place with half tackles, part tackles.
I think we need to keep perspective. Goodhue has been defensively excellent across his entire career, both at SR and test level. He missed a few tackles against the Blues and the Hurricanes. Reiko Ioane and ALB have also missed tackles every game, but aren't held to the same standard as Goodhue.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

Goodhue (Mr Ordinary) ahead of Lumpy at 2nd/5? Hilarious...
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Yeah distinct lack of lumpy being mentioned. At all. I’d put him in my midfield before Ennor and Ioane in a heartbeat.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Shannan Frizzell was my pick at 6......mostly agree with the rest.
akann

Post by akann »

Have we ever had this much depth at no8? Hoskins, Akira, Sowakula, Ardie and Mikaele Tu'u would all make quality Test no8s.
Last edited by akann on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Double.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Noob wrote:
Enzedder wrote:Still have DickMo as player of the week here. He didn't miss a trick last night (albeit behind a dominant pack)
His kicking wasn't up to his usual standards I feel. Still comfortably the best 10 going around, in my opinion, but an off night from the tee
Unusual from Mo'unga, but just another day at the office for Barrett when he was spraying them wide.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Wilderbeast wrote:Yeah distinct lack of lumpy being mentioned. At all. I’d put him in my midfield before Ennor and Ioane in a heartbeat.
Lumpy plays 12 and he plays that position in one way. High impact attacking ball carrier with an occasional kick.

Ioane and Ennor play 13 or wing. Both have speed and precision on their side and are developing the defensive game needed at centre.

Goodhue and ALB play both midfield positions and add the role of organiser to their command of the attacking and defensive aspects of both roles.

But Laumape.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Yeah distinct lack of lumpy being mentioned. At all. I’d put him in my midfield before Ennor and Ioane in a heartbeat.
Lumpy plays 12 and he plays that position in one way. High impact attacking ball carrier with an occasional kick.

Ioane and Ennor play 13 or wing. Both have speed and precision on their side and are developing the defensive game needed at centre.

Goodhue and ALB play both midfield positions and add the role of organiser to their command of the attacking and defensive aspects of both roles.

But Laumape.
Isn't this a team of the week thread?

a. The Hurricanes didn't play this week

b. Laumape is out for the season with a broken arm.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

jdogscoop wrote:
Noob wrote:
Unusual from Mo'unga, but just another day at the office for Barrett when he was spraying them wide.
Unhealthy. Obsession.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

booji boy wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

But Laumape.
Isn't this a team of the week thread?

a. The Hurricanes didn't play this week

b. Laumape is out for the season with a broken arm.
Was in response to talk that our midfield looking forward is ALB and Goodhue with Ioane and Ennor pushing their case. To ignore Lumpy is, well, ignorant.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Wilderbeast wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Noob wrote:
Unhealthy. Obsession.
On the contrary, I think it's a healthy debate about our All Black options.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

I was more than a little surprised that he didn't bugger off up North when he missed the cut last year. Any one of a dozen teams I could think of would cut a hand off for his signature. The England Prem. probably best bet because they operate a weird "Marquee Player" rule that means his costs are not subject to salary cap restrictions as would be the case in France. Pat Lam at Bristol would love a piece of him I'd wager so would Baxter at Exeter. Fair play to him for staying loyal I guess, that must have been a huge call for a youngster to make.
Worldwide paucity of powerhouse 12's for some reason, what price Kerevi up North, also just 27 yrs old?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Christie really was the ginger ninja. His best game I've seen him play imo. Helped by a dominant pack it has to be said.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Noob wrote:

I meant from the hand. That wind last night was all over the place
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Christie really was the ginger ninja. His best game I've seen him play imo. Helped by a dominant pack it has to be said.
You can't watch Tasman play very often........he's class
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

I love the fight that is in Christie - good player. Caleb Clarke is also looking pretty good at this stage - getting harder to not imagine him wearing the fern one day.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

As good as Christie is, he isn't a creative halfback in the same way that Smith, TJP or even Bryn Hall are. He played very well on Sunday behind a dominant pack, and scored a brace of tries, but I wouldn't start fitting him out for an AB jersey just yet.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

HouseOfPane wrote:I love the fight that is in Christie - good player. Caleb Clarke is also looking pretty good at this stage - getting harder to not imagine him wearing the fern one day.
Clarke is too one dimensional for my money. Big and fast is all well and good but that can be contained. What else can he bring to the test arena?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:I love the fight that is in Christie - good player. Caleb Clarke is also looking pretty good at this stage - getting harder to not imagine him wearing the fern one day.
Clarke is too one dimensional for my money. Big and fast is all well and good but that can be contained. What else can he bring to the test arena?
Yeah I agree. The calls for Clarke to be the AB no.11 remind me of the calls we hear every year for Ben Lam to be an AB winger, based on early season SR form. To be a starting AB winger you need to be able to kick for distance, defend well and be solid under the high ball. I can't comment on Clarke's skills in those areas of the game.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote:
Just picture him wearing red and black and you’ll notice!

Seriously, have you not watched him play? He beats players with more than being big and fast, he’s like Reece but bigger and without being Fijian and without the domestic violence. Needs to work on his defence too.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Seriously, have you not watched him play? He beats players with more than being big and fast, he’s like Reece but bigger and without being Fijian and without the domestic violence. Needs to work on his defence too.
Let's be honest, Caleb Clarke looks fat. He has the White Waldrom. I think he plays more like Akira Ioane than Sevu Reece, although Clarke has probably hit more rucks than Akira in their respective Blues careers.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

guy smiley wrote:
I guess what I see is that he is still only 21(?) and he has time to develop more aspects of his game. Having said that, I do think this year would be too early for him though, and I would like to see him back it up with another super season next year.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Is the DV card really worth playing here?
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Let's be honest, Caleb Clarke looks fat. He has the White Waldrom. I think he plays more like Akira Ioane than Sevu Reece, although Clarke has probably hit more rucks than Akira in their respective Blues careers.
:lol: