All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: SR Aotearoa 'Team of the Week' Round 8

Post by jdogscoop »

HouseOfPane wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:I love the fight that is in Christie - good player. Caleb Clarke is also looking pretty good at this stage - getting harder to not imagine him wearing the fern one day.
Clarke is too one dimensional for my money. Big and fast is all well and good but that can be contained. What else can he bring to the test arena?
Just picture him wearing red and black and you’ll notice!

Seriously, have you not watched him play? He beats players with more than being big and fast, he’s like Reece but bigger and without being Fijian and without the domestic violence. Needs to work on his defence too.
Let's be honest, Caleb Clarke looks fat. He has the White Waldrom. I think he plays more like Akira Ioane than Sevu Reece, although Clarke has probably hit more rucks than Akira in their respective Blues careers.
:lol:
:lol: :nod:
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

guy smiley wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:I love the fight that is in Christie - good player. Caleb Clarke is also looking pretty good at this stage - getting harder to not imagine him wearing the fern one day.
Clarke is too one dimensional for my money. Big and fast is all well and good but that can be contained. What else can he bring to the test arena?
It worked for Savea and rocokoco and Lomu and Ioane and sivivatu and plenty of others. I’d also say it’s by far Reece’s best quality. No one picks Reece for his ability to defuse the high ball or tactical kicking.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

terangi48 wrote:Shannan Frizzell was my pick at 6......mostly agree with the rest.
Pretty well agree, I think Frizzell just keeps getting better.
Christie was fairly good and rightfully in team of the week, but he not an All Black, still got a way to go.
Really like what Clarke is doing, another definite for TOTW, I think he getting close to pushing some suspect for AB spot, he seems pretty bloody good under high ball from what I seen, though I understand what AC says ,not sure about his kicking game.
While always been an Akira critic he looks like he starting to get his shit together.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
It worked for Savea and rocokoco and Lomu and Ioane and sivivatu and plenty of others. I’d also say it’s by far Reece’s best quality. No one picks Reece for his ability to defuse the high ball or tactical kicking.
Reece is actually very sound under the high ball.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

He’s solid (or it’s not really a weakness), but I’d expect a Ben smith type to beat him in the air ten times out of ten.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Your determination to discredit my suggestion regarding Clarke’s attributes is leading you into a dark and twisted place Wilderbeast... it would be unfair of me to suggest it’s almost JustinMarshallesque in shape, so I won’t.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I’ve been in a dark and twisted place since the crusaders regained their complete dominance over super rugby. I don’t think there’s much hope for me now.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Wilderbeast wrote:I’ve been in a dark and twisted place since the crusaders regained their complete dominance over super rugby. I don’t think there’s much hope for me now.
I would have happy enough to see another team gain ascendancy to be honest. We all like it when our team wins but I can appreciate the battle fatigue others feel seeing the Saders get up again. It almost... as in no way in hell, makes up for the taunts when they lose or don’t win a title for a few years.

I have high hopes for the Blues to be honest. I’d like to see them fulfil their potential and harness the energy of South Auckland. I think that could be immense and really good for the game in general in NZ.

UncleFB trying to suggest I’ve got red and black vision for player talent can chew a stinging nettle too.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

You do though, but that’s ok. We all have our bias. No prizes guessing mine :lol:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Just picture him wearing red and black and you’ll notice!

Seriously, have you not watched him play? He beats players with more than being big and fast, he’s like Reece but bigger and without being Fijian and without the domestic violence. Needs to work on his defence too.
Is the DV card really worth playing here?
Yep. He’s only in NZ and an AB because of it.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:I’ve been in a dark and twisted place since the crusaders regained their complete dominance over super rugby. I don’t think there’s much hope for me now.
I would have happy enough to see another team gain ascendancy to be honest. We all like it when our team wins but I can appreciate the battle fatigue others feel seeing the Saders get up again. It almost... as in no way in hell, makes up for the taunts when they lose or don’t win a title for a few years.

I have high hopes for the Blues to be honest. I’d like to see them fulfil their potential and harness the energy of South Auckland. I think that could be immense and really good for the game in general in NZ.

UncleFB trying to suggest I’ve got red and black vision for player talent can chew a stinging nettle too.
I was merely searching for a reason for your misguided comments (as Clarke has been beating players by more than being big and fast) so obviously went for the lowest hanging fruit.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I was merely searching for a reason for your misguided comments (as Clarke has been beating players by more than being big and fast) so obviously went for the lowest hanging fruit.
Yes, he's also strong.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

What’s wrong with big fast and strong?
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

jdogscoop wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Yes, he's also strong.
And a white Thomas Waldrom - gotta give AC credit for that one. :)
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Wilderbeast wrote:What’s wrong with big fast and strong?
I don't know, ask Mr Smiley.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Wilderbeast wrote:What’s wrong with big fast and strong?
Isn't that exactly what Julian Savea was and for a few years wasn't he in the discussion for world's best winger?
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Tu’ungafasi was outstanding yesterday.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwinoz wrote:Tu’ungafasi has been outstanding all season.
Fixed.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Caleb looks like he'll end up a centre at some point... far too skilful to stay on the wing...

He is like a combination of Ben Smith and Tana Umaga... always beats the first tackler... has a subtle passing game and is smart... get him in the All Blacks asap... he has ten years in black ahead of him...

All Black rugby (and not just the forwards) has become de-powered in recent years. SA and England are able to boss us around too much. We need to get that physical power back into our game.. and our lightweight backline last year along with a light loose forward mix... should serve as a warning for the years ahead...

Aaron Mauger commented that the Blues were too powerful at the weekend... we need the All Blacks to be talked of in the same light again... power to supplement their innate skill...
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Grandpa wrote:Caleb looks like he'll end up a centre at some point... far too skilful to stay on the wing...

He is like a combination of Ben Smith and Tana Umaga... always beats the first tackler... has a subtle passing game and is smart... get him in the All Blacks asap... he has ten years in black ahead of him...

All Black rugby (and not just the forwards) has become de-powered in recent years. SA and England are able to boss us around too much. We need to get that physical power back into our game.. and our lightweight backline last year along with a light loose forward mix... should serve as a warning for the years ahead...

Aaron Mauger commented that the Blues were too powerful at the weekend... we need the All Blacks to be talked of in the same light again... power to supplement their innate skill...
Odd, because I distinctly remember seeing the ABs beat the Boks quite comfortably in Yokohama in September last year
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Kiwias wrote:
Grandpa wrote:Caleb looks like he'll end up a centre at some point... far too skilful to stay on the wing...

Odd, because I distinctly remember seeing the ABs beat the Boks quite comfortably in Yokohama in September last year
I wouldn't say comfortably.

We scored two tries in quick succession that gave us breathing space on the scoreboard but outside of that brief period the Springboks were dominating territory and possession and winning the physical battle. They just weren't quite skillful or creative enough to turn that dominance into points. When we got a sniff we pounced, twice. It's often the way in AB Springbok tests.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

booji boy wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

We scored two tries in quick succession that gave us breathing space on the scoreboard but outside of that brief period the Springboks were dominating territory and possession and winning the physical battle. They just weren't quite skillful or creative enough to turn that dominance into points. When we got a sniff we pounced, twice. It's often the way in AB Springbok tests.
It would be nice if the dominating physical presence could be found in the forwards, but I just don't think we have the cattle, so the backs will have to do.

A backline with Caleb Clarke and Reiko Ioane (at center) in it certainly adds a bit of muscle without seemingly losing any pace or agility.
That would leave Goodhue, ALB and Lumpy battling over the 12 Jersey.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Lol,

My team is exactly the same as stuuf's team of the week, except they cheated and selected Boshier at 7 when he was playing at 6.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... e-in-front
15. Will Jordan (Crusaders): By no means the finished article but has surely done enough to get the nod from Ian Foster and co.

14. Sevu Reece (Crusaders): Was in the right place to grab the game’s decisive try, albeit in controversial circumstances.

13. Rieko Ioane (Blues): A handful. Looks lean, powerful and quick, and is bringing some real aggression to his defensive work.

12. Jack Goodhue (Crusaders): Perhaps not at the peak of his powers, but the best on show at the weekend in the absence of Ngani Laumape.

11. Caleb Clarke (Blues): Too big, too strong, too fast. What else is there to say?

10. Richie Mo’unga (Crusaders): Playing with such confidence that he looks like creating something almost every time he touches the ball.

9. Finlay Christie (Blues): The Scots have a ‘Scottish Qualified Program’ for the purpose of recruiting players such as Christie, but can the improving halfback convince selectors here to take a look at him?

8. Pita Gus Sowakula (Chiefs): Narrowly finishes on top of a highly competitive field this week, due to his acceleration from the base of the scrum. Get this man in the Pacific Islands Super Rugby team.

Lachlan Boshier receives the congratulations of his team-mates after scoring against the Crusaders.
FIONA GOODALL/GETTY IMAGES
Lachlan Boshier receives the congratulations of his team-mates after scoring against the Crusaders.
7. Lachlan Boshier (Chiefs): Played in the No 6 jersey and Crusaders openside Tom Christie was also impressive, but Boshier’s ability to swing the momentum of a game with a big breakdown play is superb.

6. Shannon Frizell (Highlanders): The form No 6 in the country never gave up in a losing team, and is showing real steel in his contact work.

5. Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues): Made some heavy carries when needed and was part of that damaging Blues scrummaging performance.

4. Sam Whitelock (Crusaders): Remarkable achievement to play 150 games of Super Rugby in the engine room, and gave the Crusaders the edge at the lineout.

3. Ofa Tuungafasi (Blues): Has folded so many opponents in half this year should be renamed the Laundromat. Contender for Super Rugby Aotearoa player of the year.

2. Codie Taylor (Crusaders): Endearingly uncomfortable during post-match interviews, largely because he's already done all of his talking on the paddock. Excellent form.

1. George Bower (Crusaders): Made one eye-catching burst up through the middle, and offers terrific backup for Joe Moody.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

booji boy wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

Yeah that's how sensible fans read that game, a fifteen minute purple patch. It was a fantastic turn and chase from Richie M that managed to drag Kolbe down whilst scampering down the flank with the whitewash beckoning. Kudos to Richie for that effort not many do that. Cheslin scored a cracker v England in the final down the flank, turned them all like a tailers dummy for a cracking solo try. Great player...
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Newshub's (Luke Robinson) team of the week
OPINION: Sam Cane is proving his doubters wrong, one tackle at a time.

Once again, he was a workhorse on defence, making 20 tackles and winning three turnovers at the breakdown, as the Chiefs lost another Super Rugby Aotearoa heartbreaker against the Crusaders.

Plenty has been said in recent weeks about how he's the wrong choice for All Blacks captain and how he's not even the best No.7 in the country.

While the first point may be true, why is he being judged so harshly? The All Blacks haven't played a second under his leadership yet.

But there's no doubt in my mind, he's the best openside flanker in the country and he's proving it week after week.

Here are some others that stood out over the weekend:

1-Karl Tu'inukuafe (Blues)

Beasted the Highlanders scrum in an impressive display of power and technique.

2-Codie Taylor (Crusaders)

Threw the ball very well, defended well, an impressive outing from the captain.

3-Ofa Tuungafasi (Blues)

Almost copy-paste when it comes to this guy. Another week in this team, helped demolish the HIghlanders scrum and scored a good try at a vital time too.

4-Sam Whitelock (Crusaders)

Vintage display on his 150th, a few lineout steals, jumped well and nine massive tackles. Looked very good.

5-Patrick Tuipulotu (Blues)

Leading from the front in this Blues side. Another impressive outing, jumped well and didn't miss a tackle.

6-Lachlan Boshier (Chiefs)

Half of the best flanker duo in the county - Boshier and Cane at the breakdown are a scary sight.

Would be a crime if he doesn't wear the black jersey this year, although Shannon Frizell was very good again too.

7-Sam Cane (Chiefs)

Twenty tackles, three breakdown turnovers won in a mammoth effort against the champions. His last two performances have surely shut his doubters up.

8-Akira Ioane (Blues)

Showing his versatility, able to play No.6 very well, but also stepping back into the No.8 jersey with Sotutu out. Big shift on defence and scored a powerful try.

9-Finlay Christie (Blues)

A rare appearance into the Team of the Week, he's been solid all season, but really shone this week, scoring two tries and supplying his backs with decent ball all game.

10-Beauden Barrett (Blues)

Just edges out Mo'unga for me this week. His kicking game was sharp, with a nice crossfield kick to Clarke to set up a try.

Looks like a kid on Christmas morning, playing at first-five again.

11-Caleb Clarke (Blues)

A monster game from an explosive player. Is he the best winger in NZ at the moment?

Made close to 100 metres, beat players to set up a try, great game. Scott Gregory was very good too.

12-Jack Goodhue (Crusaders)

A vital cog in the Crusaders juggernaut, beat a couple of defenders and didn't miss a tackle - a very consistent performer.

13-Fetuli Paea (Crusaders)

First appearance in the team of the week and seems to be a more than capable replacement for Ennor. Three defenders beaten, good support for Goodhue too.

14-Josh McKay (Highlanders)

Was the best of the right wingers this week, starting to become much more accustomed to the No.14 jersey.

15-Will Jordan (Crusaders)

Shock, Jordan is here again! Another fantastic offensive display, made a small mistake in not passing for a certain try, but other than that, was near flawless.

Ran for more than 100 metres and scored another try.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I have a strong suspicion many Kiwi rugby journalists place a tremendous amount of weight on clean breaks and very little else. Even when it comes to front row forwards!

Luke Robinson needs to get his hand off it if he thinks Beaudy is humming at 10 and deserves the spot ahead of Mo'unga. I think Barrett has showed glimpses of class at best while Mo'unga is in irresistible form.