Winnie

John Hume Gooooooooonnneeeee

Post by Winnie »

He did a lot to bring an end to the violence in Northern Ireland
RIP
rfurlong

Re: John Hume Gooooooooonnneeeee

Post by rfurlong »

An absolute hero ...... did more for Ireland than 1 million shinners could ever dream of achieving

The fact that those murderous cvnts are in power in the north, and on the brink of power in the south, is an unfortunate by-product of the Hume inspired peace process .... but these things need to be looked at in the round and weighed against all the lives that John Hume has saved over the last two decades of relative peace
my 2 cents

Post by my 2 cents »

rfurlong wrote:An absolute hero ...... did more for Ireland than 1 million shinners could ever dream of achieving

The fact that those murderous cvnts are in power in the north, and on the brink of power in the south, is an unfortunate by-product of the Hume inspired peace process .... but these things need to be looked at in the round and weighed against all the lives that John Hume has saved over the last two decades of relative peace
Hear hear. RIP man of peace
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

He reminded me of the Paul Keating/Bob Hawke in Australia line about using your political capital up for some good. Himself and the SDLP are the ultimate examples of that.

I wonder what his funeral will be like, it's a shame with all the restrictions that it will undersell the man. Really he should have had a State funeral down here, though I suspect he wouldn't have wanted that.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:He reminded me of the Paul Keating/Bob Hawke in Australia line about using your political capital up for some good. Himself and the SDLP are the ultimate examples of that.

I wonder what his funeral will be like, it's a shame with all the restrictions that it will undersell the man. Really he should have had a State funeral down here, though I suspect he wouldn't have wanted that.
Yep - it would have been good to see the tricolor adorn the coffin of a true Irish hero, rather than watch it get dragged through the mud at shinner funerals of lowlife republican scum like Bobby storey

I’d love to see something named after him or a statue in his honour ...... would be more relevant and deserving than Rosie fecking Hackett anyways .....
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

RIP John , a great Irishman who sacrificed his own political career for peace on the island
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

A great man who showed as a civil rights campaigner then politician that he was there to create change and for both communities to look for things in common and not differences.

He had to sacrifice the hard sweat of his work and that of his SDLP's work only to watch the parasitic shinners use it to grab power where they remain causing division again.

He will be fondly remembered. We'll all celebrate once Adams goes.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:He reminded me of the Paul Keating/Bob Hawke in Australia line about using your political capital up for some good. Himself and the SDLP are the ultimate examples of that.

His funeral will be small, but I hope Higgins can attend.

A big 1 year commemoration next year will show what the Irish nation thinks of him.
blindsider

Post by blindsider »

...except the (London) Telegraph had to lift the stone from which an obituarist crawled out from:

https://twitter.com/JoeOHaraDCU/status/ ... 1261970435

The Telegraph obituarist 'rises' to the occasion when memorialising John Hume ....
'he sought readier ears in Washington, into whose “Murphia” he fitted like an overweight, hard-drinking Celtic poet who had lost his muse and found a bursary'

How bitter do you have to be? :shock: :? :((
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

And that's why we all hate the Brits
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

EverReady wrote:And that's why we all hate the Brits
Elton John, isn't it ?

"And I guess that's why we all hate the Brits,
Time after time, they're as crass as it gets,
Laughing like idiots, living like drunkards,
under the covers, they're special wankers,
And I guess that's why we all hate the Brits..."
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

A giant of a man.

RIP
Lazy Couch potato

Post by Lazy Couch potato »

Will light the candle for him tonight.

A true patriot and a decent man

Ar dheis de
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Opened a good bottle last night. That man defined what a patriot should be for me.

The vast, vast majority of 'passings' of famous people stir little more than a brief pang of regret and reflection on the impact they might have had on us. This one will take time to process. Rightly so. :((
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

An absolute giant of a human being who redefined patriotism in this country. I wonder how different things might be today if Unionists had engage constructively with Him 50 years ago. RIP Mr Hume.
Dairymilk

Post by Dairymilk »

I'd be in favour of Hume having a statue in the grounds of Belfast City Hall.
David Trimble too when he goes.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

He Man Rugger Pints

Post by He Man Rugger Pints »

Up there with Daniel O'Connell as the greatest ever Irishman. I would love to see a major street in Dublin named in his honour.

RTE did a doc on him as part of a series on "Ireland's greatest ever Irish person" a few years ago, worth a watch. He won too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paBd7vSJtbU
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

You would presume something significant would be named after him. Universally liked even in the time of Twanker and the Shinners. I saw one 'capitalist pig' nonsense comment online and that was it. Pretty unique really
DOB

Post by DOB »

He Man Rugger Pints wrote:Up there with Daniel O'Connell as the greatest ever Irishman. I would love to see a major street in Dublin named in his honour.

RTE did a doc on him as part of a series on "Ireland's greatest ever Irish person" a few years ago, worth a watch. He won too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paBd7vSJtbU
Hume Street is just off Stephen's Green. My oul' lad lived in a flat there in his college years.

It'd maybe be more appropriate to give him one of the new bridges across the Liffey that seem to pop up every couple of years. Without renaming an existing street that seems to be the way about it now (though clearly O'Connell St, Pearse St and others must have been renamed at some stage in the last century).