16. Liam Coltman
17.Daniel Lienert-Brown
18. Siate Tokolahi
19. Manaaki Selby-Rickit
20. Teariki Ben-Nicholas
21. Folau Fakatava
22. Ngatugnane Punivai
23. Jesse Parete

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ali's Choice

Re: Crusaders vs Highlanders: MATCH THREAD: Sunday 9th Aug

Post by Ali's Choice »

A massive game in the context of the season. The Crusaders have the opportunity to wrap up the title with a win, even without a BP, And frankly I think they will need to do that as I can't see them beating the Blues in Auckland given their current form and injuries.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Looking forward to this. Although I am likely to be watching it in a pub with a rabid and very vocal clan fan...
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

The Blues have the bye, too, so they will be fresh and hungry for the last match. I hope we seal the victory this weekend.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote:The Blues have the bye, too, so they will be fresh and hungry for the last match. I hope we seal the victory this weekend.
In saying that, the bye has been both a blessing and a curse for teams in this comp.

I just think they're too big and too strong for an injury depleted Crusaders team to match. We need to seal the competition this week, but the Highlanders won't be easy-beats.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

A team with everything to play for vs a team playing for pride. Although Christchurch has been dry and mild for the last 10 days the weather gods are expecting showers across friday and saturday clearing by Sunday afternoon. So it may very well not quite be the daytime running game we would all like.

Expecting Moody & Ennor to return to the side, Paea back to the bench.

NZ TAB

Crusaders = $1.13
Highlanders = $5.35
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

I can understand you Crusaders fans wanting to wrap the title up this week but if the title came down to the final match at Eden Park that would be absolutely epic. The biggest match between the sides since the 1998 Grand Final.

Not gonna happen as I believe you will be far too good for the Highlanders but I still think a winner take all finale on the final Sunday of the competition would have been a fitting end to what has been an exciting, entertaining competition.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

booji boy wrote:I can understand you Crusaders fans wanting to wrap the title up this week but if the title came down to the final match at Eden Park that would be absolutely epic. The biggest match between the sides since the 1998 Grand Final.

Not gonna happen as I believe you will be far too good for the Highlanders but I still think a winner take all finale on the final Sunday of the competition would have been a fitting end to what has been an exciting, entertaining competition.
Thank you for not bringing up the 2003 final, I've only just gotten over that match :thumbup:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ali's Choice wrote:
booji boy wrote:I can understand you Crusaders fans wanting to wrap the title up this week but if the title came down to the final match at Eden Park that would be absolutely epic. The biggest match between the sides since the 1998 Grand Final.

Thank you for not bringing up the 2003 final, I've only just gotten over that match :thumbup:
:lol: Yeah there's something about it that makes me recall 1998 more than 2003. I dunno, maybe it's the afternoon kickoff?
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Not looking forward to this weekend. I'm loyal and faithful, but jeez both are being challenged... hugely. I hope to hell Nareki starts so we at least have pace on the outsides, and Rob Thompson maybe in at 12. But most of all, we have to 'man up' up front or get our arses kicked... again. :uhoh:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Peteray wrote:Not looking forward to this weekend. I'm loyal and faithful, but jeez both are being challenged... hugely. I hope to hell Nareki starts so we at least have pace on the outsides, and Rob Thompson maybe in at 12. But most of all, we have to 'man up' up front or get our arses kicked... again. :uhoh:
You guys have a vastly superior backrow. Your tight 5 is probably marginally inferior or on par. The challenge for you is that aside from Aaron Smith the Crusaders have superiority across the entire backlines.

In saying that, you should be able to dominate at the tackle and the breakdown. So if you can cause the Crusaders line-out some issues, and gain parity at scrum time, then you're every chance of pulling off an upset.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Ali's Choice wrote:

Short memory. I still reckon Howletts off hand was over the dead ball line when he grounded his try
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So Ennor and Moody are due back for this match, but still no sign of Douglas. Tbh, our pack functioned very well last week so if they can match that performance then they should be able to match the Highlanders forwards.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

The Highlanders could really do the Republic of Blue Auckland a nice favour this weekend. Please.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Shrekles wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Short memory. I still reckon Howletts off hand was over the dead ball line when he grounded his try
I saw his hand from the top of the Eastern Terraces that night. Clear as daylight. He was in and the place went berserk. I thought the terraces were going to collapse.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Auckman wrote:The Highlanders could really do the Republic of Blue Auckland a nice favour this weekend. Please.
I would be shocked if this Highlanders team could nick a lead and then hold out this Crusaders team (even with their injuries) over 80 minutes. In Christchurch.

Sorry Blues fans, it is just not going to happen.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

I saw his hand from the top of the Eastern Terraces that night. Clear as daylight. He was in and the place went berserk. I thought the terraces were going to collapse.
Well Howlett got the benefit of the doubt back then. These days we'd get about 5 or 6 replays from different angles and (hopefully) remove all doubt. Anyway Shrekles, it's in the record book. ;)
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

As often happens, the replacements just step into the fold and perform admirably. Bower, Makalio, Sanders and Paea have all played well when called upon. Imagine how good this team would be with Havili, Grace & Barrett back.

Really looking forward to this match, Southern Derby always shines.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote:As often happens, the replacements just step into the fold and perform admirably. Bower, Makalio, Sanders and Paea have all played well when called upon. Imagine how good this team would be with Havili, Grace & Barrett back.

Good call about the replacements stepping up.

I said on the match thread that this was the best our pack has played all tournament. Which is crazy when you consider we had Joe Moody, Scott Barrett, Cullen Grace, Whetukamokamo Douglas and Ethan Blackadder all out with injury. Tom Sanders, Sione Havili and George Bower all had their best ever games at this level. Our lineout was accurate all night, our scrum dominated, we executed the best rolling maul try of the season and our breakdown work was strong enough against a much more credentialed and experienced Chiefs backrow. Our forwards even linked well (no dropped ball) and made some handy metres up the middle with ball in hand. Overall I was very happy with that effort, especially away from home.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Auckman wrote:The Highlanders could really do the Republic of Blue Auckland a nice favour this weekend. Please.
Nope, sorry, this is our pitiful revenge to the Blues. As my glorious landers are getting prison-shamed in the orangetheory yard, I will at least be able to take some sweet comfort in knowing that we are able to use our skills of 'being someones bitch' to assist with our mainland brethren.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Peteray wrote:Not looking forward to this weekend. I'm loyal and faithful, but jeez both are being challenged... hugely. I hope to hell Nareki starts so we at least have pace on the outsides, and Rob Thompson maybe in at 12. But most of all, we have to 'man up' up front or get our arses kicked... again. :uhoh:
You guys have a vastly superior backrow. Your tight 5 is probably marginally inferior or on par. The challenge for you is that aside from Aaron Smith the Crusaders have superiority across the entire backlines.

In saying that, you should be able to dominate at the tackle and the breakdown. So if you can cause the Crusaders line-out some issues, and gain parity at scrum time, then you're every chance of pulling off an upset.
I do feel as though that would be pretty hard for this Highlanders team. Even if they can disrupt the Crusdaers lineout, my worry is when it is their own throw. If Ash Dixon starts again, he'll be taken off around 60 minutes - then in comes Coltman. Now, Coltman is fantastic in the rucks, but his throwing has been abysmal. 20 minutes of poor lineouts would be enough for this clinical Crusaders outfit to take advantage of, and this is assuming that Coltman doesn't start. Regarding the scrum, it would take a monumental effort just to gain parity as they have struggled against every team in SR Aotearoa.

Not saying that it is impossible for the Highlanders to nick an upset - I just feel that it is extremely unlikely when the set pieces are such a mess.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

So, you would suggest Thompson at 12 and still Collins at 13? Not that there's many other options.

The midfield is such a troubled area at the moment, which made me wonder what ever happened to Tei Walden. I'm pretty sure he's a common waterboy for the team, but whenever he was at 12, Thompson played his best. I guess Mauger mustn't really fancy him.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

booji boy wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Well Howlett got the benefit of the doubt back then. These days we'd get about 5 or 6 replays from different angles and (hopefully) remove all doubt. Anyway Shrekles, it's in the record book. ;)
With an asterisk right?
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

JPNZ wrote:As often happens, the replacements just step into the fold and perform admirably. Bower, Makalio, Sanders and Paea have all played well when called upon. Imagine how good this team would be with Havili, Grace & Barrett back.

Last 5:

2018: Crusaders v Highlanders, 45-22
2019: Crusaders v Highlanders, 43-17
2019: Crusaders v Highlanders, 38-14
2020: Crusaders v Highlanders, 33-13
2020: Highlanders v Crusaders, 20-40

Yeah it shines...right out of my sore blue and gold ass :x
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Shrekles wrote:With an asterisk right?
Geez you Crusaders are greedy plums. You only had to wait a couple of years to win three more titles in 2005, 2006 and 2008. We haven't even made a grand final since 2003 let alone won a title so you can fudge right off with your asterisk! :x :lol:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

The SOLD OUT sign has just been put up.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote:

I said on the match thread that this was the best our pack has played all tournament. Which is crazy when you consider we had Joe Moody, Scott Barrett, Cullen Grace, Whetukamokamo Douglas and Ethan Blackadder all out with injury. Tom Sanders, Sione Havili and George Bower all had their best ever games at this level. Our lineout was accurate all night, our scrum dominated, we executed the best rolling maul try of the season and our breakdown work was strong enough against a much more credentialed and experienced Chiefs backrow. Our forwards even linked well (no dropped ball) and made some handy metres up the middle with ball in hand. Overall I was very happy with that effort, especially away from home.
I was really impressed with him.
deverix

Post by deverix »

JPNZ wrote:A team with everything to play for vs a team playing for pride. Although Christchurch has been dry and mild for the last 10 days the weather gods are expecting showers across friday and saturday clearing by Sunday afternoon. So it may very well not quite be the daytime running game we would all like.

Expecting Moody & Ennor to return to the side, Paea back to the bench.
I thought Faingaanuku brought excellent impact from the bench for Crusaders against the Chiefs, would you really drop him out for Paea?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

I was really impressed with him.
Yup, he ran for metres in his try than he has for the rest of his Super Rugby career combined. He's actually quite quick.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

HouseOfPane wrote:
Nope, sorry, this is our pitiful revenge to the Blues. As my glorious landers are getting prison-shamed in the orangetheory yard, I will at least be able to take some sweet comfort in knowing that we are able to use our skills of 'being someones bitch' to assist with our mainland brethren.
shameful southern nepotism
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Auckman wrote:
HouseOfPane wrote:
shameful southern nepotism
One must attempt such tribalism when there is a North v South match on the horizon. You know, the match where multiple players from the south are actually playing for the North, and vice versa?
naki

Post by naki »

JPNZ wrote:The SOLD OUT sign has just been put up.
Didn't Chch fail to sell out some of their recent actual SR finals games? And yet they sell out this total dead rubber

SR Aotearoa is officially greater than any competition with finals, ever.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

naki wrote:
Didn't Chch fail to sell out some of their recent actual SR finals games? And yet they sell out this total dead rubber

Yes but the last 2-3 finals have had 25% extra temporary seating added bring capacity to 21,500. Current Capacity for this weekend is the standard 17,000 I believe.

Southern battles always draw hearty crowds plus its a Sunday afternoon game in the sunshine.
naki

Post by naki »

JPNZ wrote:
naki wrote:

Yes but the last 2-3 finals have had 25% extra temporary seating added bring capacity to 21,500. Current Capacity for this weekend is the standard 17,000 I believe.
Well given they sold out days before the game they should have done the same again.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

naki wrote:
Well given they sold out days before the game they should have done the same again.
Yeah its a hard situation for Vbase and CRFU as it adds a considerable cost to erect & dismantle and takes 3-4 days. Sadly thats the predicament of having a temporary stadium that is 3 years past its original useable date. We have to persevere with it for another 3 years from now on top of that..
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote:
naki wrote:
Yeah its a hard situation for Vbase and CRFU as it adds a considerable cost to erect & dismantle and takes 3-4 days. Sadly thats the predicament of having a temporary stadium that is 3 years past its original useable date. We have to persevere with it for another 3 years from now on top of that..
Is the new stadium confirmed and going ahead? I'd love someone who has information to start a thread about it. It should have been finished 5 years ago and the fact that it hasn't even been started yet is an indictment on the previous National government
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ali's Choice wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
naki wrote:
Is the new stadium confirmed and going ahead? I'd love someone who has information to start a thread about it. It should have been finished 5 years ago and the fact that it hasn't even been started yet is an indictment on the previous National government
I'll look at starting one when ground works actually begin. It should have started by now, yet more delays. Finish date is currently the back half of 2024

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/119944757 ... um-funding

JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Well, just been offered a seat at the match through work & Placemakers incl lunch and drinks before the game. :smug:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JPNZ wrote:Well, just been offered a seat at the match through work & Placemakers incl lunch and drinks before the game. :smug:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Will the Clan line up with this XV: M Hunt, McKay, Collins, Thompson, Nareki, Ioane, Smith, Mikaele-Tu'u, D Hunt, Frizzell, Parkinson, Whetton, Tokolahi, Dixon, Leinert-Brown. I'm not sold on the midfield, but Tompkinson was so greedy last week (again), and for them to have any chance at all, the ball must go wide when they have the chance. Well that's if they get any ball! Strangely subdued last week weren't they? It started at the scrum I suppose?