Your most embarrassing overhyping of a player

All things Rugby
Morgan14

Re: Your most embarrassing overhyping of a player

Post by Morgan14 »

Gavin Evans, welsh centre in the mid aughts (i have to tell you that as you've no idea who he is). Made some rather rosy projections about how many caps he'd garner! More than once, too. In hindsight, I don't recall why I thought he was going to be a superstar but there you have it
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Mahoney wrote:I was a huge James Simpson-Daniel fan - thought he'd be our Shane Williams, only better because he created so much for other players as well as beating people and scoring for fun.

More embarrassingly I thought Ryan Lamb was a real prospect for England.

JSD was the real deal - as you said he had the footwork but could also pop up as a second playmaker.

He was just permanently injured. :(

36 was one I thought was going to really push on - too many brain fades to get away with at test level though.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Thought Gareth Davies would become the worlds best 9 based on early Scarlets career.

Another vote for Lydiate too.

I bought into the Henson hype but don't think his failure was due to lack of talent.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

happyhooker wrote:36 :blush: :blush: :blush:

My non-Welsh one was him too.

On the Welsh side, nobody stands out as being over inflated, at least that I can quickly recall. Maybe Rhodri Jones, utter man mountain, but feel that a decent chunk of that was the mess Welsh rugby made in trying to convert him to a LH. Martyn Madden possibly, but cant decide if his poor scrummaging was just his lack of appetite to knuckle down in training.

People like Steff Evans, Jordan Williams etc were being touted but I always say you need to look at their defence as they are smaller guys as it is often their undoing.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

tiddle wrote:
made the lions tbf
So did Andy titterall. What's your point?
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

I thought Harrison Brewer at 15 was going to be a star, he was tearing it up then as a number 8. He then switched positions to 12 and didn't really get any bigger. He has never been more of a journeyman pro and I think is back playing for the Gick at AIL.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Liathroidigloine wrote:Amazed there hasn't been a mention of Des Dillon yet.
He did occur to me, but I thought we should let Statto out himself, but he hasn't been on today.
Onelostbear

Post by Onelostbear »

[quote][/quote]

What was the story with Des Dillon just not good enough or a waste of talent?
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Mark Flanagan

Exactly.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

UncleFB wrote:
Farva wrote:
Thomas wrote:I shot ropes over Lloyd Johannson in 2004/05. Thought the dude would be Australia's Tana Umaga.

lol no.
Ended up as Australia's Piri Weepu.
Did he play 50 plus tests, win multiple rugby championships, and grand slam and was one of the key players in a RWC win?
Maybe it is to do with their ability to eat KFC.

Johansen has ended up like another underage starlet Josh Holmes who doesn’t have a pro contract running around playing Park club Rugby. Sam Lane is another doing that and he had early potential.
7N31

Post by 7N31 »

LandOTurk wrote:

My non-Welsh one was him too.

On the Welsh side, nobody stands out as being over inflated, at least that I can quickly recall. Maybe Rhodri Jones, utter man mountain, but feel that a decent chunk of that was the mess Welsh rugby made in trying to convert him to a LH. Martyn Madden possibly, but cant decide if his poor scrummaging was just his lack of appetite to knuckle down in training.

People like Steff Evans, Jordan Williams etc were being touted but I always say you need to look at their defence as they are smaller guys as it is often their undoing.
I always thought Rhodri Jones would be the next Gethin Jenkins, problem was Welsh management saw him as a tight-head and ruined him.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Onelostbear wrote: What was the story with Des Dillon just not good enough or a waste of talent?
Modern day Neil Francis. Extremely gifted but didn't seem to have the doggedness and application to be a top level pro.
Pro sport just doesn't seem to suit many naturally gifted sportspeople.
C69

Post by C69 »

iarmhiman wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Blatant Earl the Beaver call-out thread
C69 as well.

Samson Lee. :lol:
Racist bastard, worse than Marler.

Fair point though :lol:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ali's Choice wrote:I forget the poster who started the infamous 'Is Chris Noakes better than Dan Carter?' thread.
nicebutextremelyfuckingdim?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ali's Choice wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:Whatever happened to Robbie Robinson since we're talking players who carved up at u20s level.
He had a good pro career. Just not quite skillful or composed enough to play 10 but never quick/big enough to be a world class 15. Was great in the U20's alongside Cruden though!
He had bad injuries. A degenerative hip condition being one.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

UncleFB wrote:
Farva wrote:
Thomas wrote:I shot ropes over Lloyd Johannson in 2004/05. Thought the dude would be Australia's Tana Umaga.

lol no.
Did he play 50 plus tests, win multiple rugby championships, and grand slam and was one of the key players in a RWC win?
No, he got fat. Like Piri.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

mr bungle wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:I forget the poster who started the infamous 'Is Chris Noakes better than Dan Carter?' thread.
nicebutextremelyfuckingdim?
Ah, Chris Noakes. I forgot about him. He was a decent goal kicker at least - I remember him kicking the winning penalty (from halfway?) on full time for Otago v Southland down in Invercargill one year.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Thomas wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Farva wrote:

lol no.

And became best known for his coat hanger on Mortlock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v420VVM-p7U
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Thomas wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Farva wrote:

lol no.

Why not refer to him as another Matt Dunning then?

:roll:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Harveys wrote:
Thomas wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Farva wrote:

lol no.

Why not refer to him as another Matt Dunning then?

:roll:
Have you seen Matt Dunning lately? Dude is shredded.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Actually I have, impressive transformation. :thumbup:
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Me. Told my coaches I’d played county U21 at hooker (true), they put me in front row in a senior cup game the following weekend after 5 years playing fullback. Lasted about 20mins, couldn’t stand up straight for a week.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:Me. Told my coaches I’d played county U21 at hooker (true), they put me in front row in a senior cup game the following weekend after 5 years playing fullback. Lasted about 20mins, couldn’t stand up straight for a week.
I've met you. You played county hooker at u21s??

You're considerably younger than me and I wouldn't have played decent level rugby if I were 15 years younger. They're beasts nowadays
DOB

Post by DOB »

Liathroidigloine wrote:Amazed there hasn't been a mention of Des Dillon yet.
Statto has mouths to feed.

I thought Jeremy Staunton would be better than Ronan O'Gara. I'll not make the mistake of supporting a Limerick back again.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

happyhooker wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:Me. Told my coaches I’d played county U21 at hooker (true), they put me in front row in a senior cup game the following weekend after 5 years playing fullback. Lasted about 20mins, couldn’t stand up straight for a week.
I've met you. You played county hooker at u21s??

You're considerably younger than me and I wouldn't have played decent level rugby if I were 15 years younger. They're beasts nowadays
Oxfordshire - my coach for Henley 3rds was the county U21s coach, it did seem as though they were short on options... it was an OK level, this was back in the late 90's before everyone was 'beasts'. It was good fun but I broke my hand after about four games and that sperlunked my county experience. The boot money/travel expenses were very useful to a student!
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I know I will never live this down but Sam Broomhall did look for a couple of games for the Crusaders like just the raw, hard-running player the ABs needed at No.8.

Then I woke up
Last edited by Kiwias on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

When I first saw Matt Giteau play I thought he was another brilliantly talented OZ back who was going to be the next Tim Horan or Stephen Larkham and would be a thorn in the side of All Black teams for years to come. Although he did turn out to be a very good player he certainly didn't soar to the heights of those Wallaby legends.
Last edited by booji boy on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Kiwias wrote:I know I will never live this down but Sam Broomhall did look for a couple of games for the Crusaders when he looked like just the raw, hard-running player the ABs needed at No.8.

Then I woke up
:shock: You win the thread!

I'm sure there's a bunch of posters on here who claimed BB would be better than DC back in the day, then there's the guy a couple of days ago claiming Mo'unga might be better than DC.
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Farva wrote:

Maybe it is to do with their ability to eat KFC.

Johansen has ended up like another underage starlet Josh Holmes who doesn’t have a pro contract running around playing Park club Rugby. Sam Lane is another doing that and he had early potential.
Except Piri ate the KFC (and the pies, and the fried bread, and the steam pudding etc etc) and did all of that above ... Johaansen didn't.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

UncleFB wrote:
Kiwias wrote:I know I will never live this down but Sam Broomhall did look for a couple of games for the Crusaders when he looked like just the raw, hard-running player the ABs needed at No.8.

Then I woke up
At least I had the good sense not to mention my opinion of him on the bored at the time.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Kiwias wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

Then I woke up
At least I had the good sense not to mention my opinion of him on the bored at the time.
Was Broomhall selected during that Canterblack era where every single Cantab, including reserves, was an automatic All Black selection?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

booji boy wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

Then I woke up
Was Broomhall selected during that Canterblack era where every single Cantab, including reserves, was an automatic All Black selection?
Yep.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

booji boy wrote:When I first saw Matt Giteau play I thought he was another brilliantly talented OZ back who was going to be the next Tim Horan or Stephen Larkham and would be a thorn in the side of All Black teams for years to come. Although he did turn out to be a very good player he certainly didn't soar to the heights of those Wallaby legends.
It didn't help that the media called him Kid Dynamite and basically said he was the best thing since slices bread.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Whose the Scottish halfback who was nominated for world player of the year? Mike Blair? I didn’t see much of him but I thought he was the bees knees. Not long later he seemed a bit shit?

Doesn’t quite fit the thread but...
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Pretty harsh, Giteau was pretty solid all round and did a fair bit of wasting opposition practically single-handed. The level of overhype for Giteau must be pretty marginal.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

sonic_attack wrote:Pretty harsh, Giteau was pretty solid all round and did a fair bit of wasting opposition practically single-handed. The level of overhype for Giteau must be pretty marginal.
I thought he would have moved into legend territory had Deans not told him to GTFO in favour of future rugby luminaries such as Pat McCabe and Anthony Faingaa. As it was we probably missed out on seeing him fully flourish.

When he burst onto the scene Australian rugby pundits jerked themselves silly.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Yeah giteau had the aussies all kinds of excited. And tbh, he was a ridiculous talent.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Wilderbeast wrote:Whose the Scottish halfback who was nominated for world player of the year? Mike Blair? I didn’t see much of him but I thought he was the bees knees. Not long later he seemed a bit shit?

Goramaru fits under these same criteria then I suppose?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Whose the Scottish halfback who was nominated for world player of the year? Mike Blair? I didn’t see much of him but I thought he was the bees knees. Not long later he seemed a bit shit?

Goramaru fits under these same criteria then I suppose?
Who?

I mention Mike Blair As he was the guy I tried to sound knowledgeable about by hyping him up to my mates who firmly believed nothing good came out of the northern hemisphere (especially backs). I don’t really know what happened to him, but he didn’t really make a statement like I thought he would.

Kind of hoping a knowledgeable NH poster is going to chip in with some wisdom on this one.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Didn't Farva push Kyle Godwin's cause? :lol:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

CrazyIslander wrote:Didn't Farva push Kyle Godwin's cause? :lol:
There were a number of posters who said he was the bees knees.