Your most embarrassing overhyping of a player

All things Rugby
Kiwias

Re: Your most embarrassing overhyping of a player

Post by Kiwias »

RuggaBugga wrote:I used to hype the shit out of Josh Blackie although that probably doesn't count given he was supremely unlucky to play in the GOAT era and be fighting with Marty Holah for the scraps.

Someone should start a thread about best third choice players...
Tony Brown has a lock on the 10 jersey, behind Mehrtens and Spenser.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

HouseOfPane wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:I forget the poster who started the infamous 'Is Chris Noakes better than Dan Carter?' thread.
nicebutextremelyfuckingdim?
Ah, Chris Noakes. I forgot about him. He was a decent goal kicker at least - I remember him kicking the winning penalty (from halfway?) on full time for Otago v Southland down in Invercargill one year.
Me too :x

#iwazthere
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Tony (Anthony) Koonwaiyou was being hyped up as a Cullen/Rokocoko/Jesus hybrid when he was playing Auckland schoolboy rugby. Ended up being a nondescript NPC player.
colonel

Post by colonel »

Stuart Barnes
Ryan Lamb
Shane Geraghty
Danny Cipriani

I have a type
colonel

Post by colonel »

Not really related but it made me think of it for some reason and it certainly doesnt deserve its own thread

I used to bang on and on about how they should play Guscott at FB and maintained he'd be the best in the world if he transitioned

I still maintain it was a good idea and am convinced that if he were around these days a FB is what he'd be
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

colonel wrote:Not really related but it made me think of it for some reason and it certainly doesnt deserve its own thread

I used to bang on and on about how they should play Guscott at FB and maintained he'd be the best in the world if he transitioned

I still maintain it was a good idea and am convinced that if he were around these days a FB is what he'd be
The 'prince of centres' at fullback? Why on earth do you think that is a good idea? What qualities did he posses that make you think he is better suited at fullback than centre?
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Kiwias wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:I used to hype the shit out of Josh Blackie although that probably doesn't count given he was supremely unlucky to play in the GOAT era and be fighting with Marty Holah for the scraps.

Amazing that he was third in line. I'd happily have a player of that calibre starting for us now.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Jerome Manning wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

Amazing that he was third in line. I'd happily have a player of that calibre starting for us now.
I reckon the order at the time was correct.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

booji boy wrote:
colonel wrote:Not really related but it made me think of it for some reason and it certainly doesnt deserve its own thread

The 'prince of centres' at fullback? Why on earth do you think that is a good idea? What qualities did he posses that make you think he is better suited at fullback than centre?
Are you the reverse John Hart?

On Koonwaiyou, think he was in the same secondary schools team as Rokocoko, they played certain raiser to a test vs aussir and Rokocoko scored a handful of tries and Koonwaiyou hardly saw the ball.
colonel

Post by colonel »

booji boy wrote:

I didnt name him that. I think the 'Prince of Wales' is better suited elsewhere but doesnt change the fact that people call him that
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Jerome Manning wrote:Tony (Anthony) Koonwaiyou was being hyped up as a Cullen/Rokocoko/Jesus hybrid when he was playing Auckland schoolboy rugby. Ended up being a nondescript NPC player.
Jeez, forgot about that guy :lol:
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Blair was a good scrum half playing in a shite team.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Bit of a toss up probably, as I've made essential the same call twice, between Kris Chesney and Tom Lindsay having been hugely impressed with their physicality breaking into seniors rugby only to have to watch as they never got to grips with any actual rugby skills. I know there's that famous line from Winterbottom about Burger, that if he ever learns to play rugby he'll be some player, but Burger's decision making was sublime in relative terms to Chesney and Lindsay makes Marx look a god throwing at the lineout

I see JSD has been taken as a pick, if we're looking at a separate category for players who unlike Chesney and Lindsay did have the skills but haven't remotely had the career they might then Cipriani. Still think Cips is the most skilful England player I've seen, but his actual return at test level for a number of reasons is pretty merde
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

sonic_attack wrote:Pretty harsh, Giteau was pretty solid all round and did a fair bit of wasting opposition practically single-handed. The level of overhype for Giteau must be pretty marginal.
I think his issue was when under pressure he didn't know what to do, he didn't have the brains around to to call something and he's charge forward and crab sideways with the ball killing attacks.

I think Giteau is rather like a number of aussie backs who came in mid-2000 onwards who were individually super talented but somehow never quite clicked as a team in the biggest games. Meanwhile New Zealand managed a production line of payers who seems to fit in perfectly every time..
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Jerome Manning wrote:Tony (Anthony) Koonwaiyou was being hyped up as a Cullen/Rokocoko/Jesus hybrid when he was playing Auckland schoolboy rugby. Ended up being a nondescript NPC player.
Jeez, forgot about that guy :lol:
He played for Southland, and even in that setup was forgettable.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Giteau mostly choked the big occasion. And was paid massive money for the privilege.
naki

Post by naki »

Jason Eaton is basically Colin Meads but better
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

naki wrote:Jason Eaton is basically Colin Meads but better
:shock:
naki

Post by naki »

sorCrer wrote:
It was a simpler time. George W was just starting his second term. The global economy was going gang busters with no chance of collapse. People were getting their heads around these new "smart phones". 2005 rocked.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

I thought Reggie Corrigan would make a fine international prop
DOB

Post by DOB »

Wilderbeast wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Whose the Scottish halfback who was nominated for world player of the year? Mike Blair? I didn’t see much of him but I thought he was the bees knees. Not long later he seemed a bit shit?

Doesn’t quite fit the thread but...
Goramaru fits under these same criteria then I suppose?
Who?

I mention Mike Blair As he was the guy I tried to sound knowledgeable about by hyping him up to my mates who firmly believed nothing good came out of the northern hemisphere (especially backs). I don’t really know what happened to him, but he didn’t really make a statement like I thought he would.

Kind of hoping a knowledgeable NH poster is going to chip in with some wisdom on this one.
Blair was a very good scrumhalf who played in a shite Scotland team. It's a tale as old as pro rugby, really. He missed out on a Lions Tour, causing much uproar about Anti-Jock bias from Scottish posters here, except it was pointed out to them that he was passed over for Scotland's other scrummy, Chris Cusiter.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Ben Herring, he had a huge game against McCaw in the middle of a great season for him and Wellington poached him. He was underwhelming for the his time in Wellingto/The canes, I take comfort in the fact I was not alone in my stupidity considering Wellington let Kupu Vanisi go to make for him and Vanisi was a far better flanker.

Herring was in the news today.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/300 ... r-children
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

While I maintain that he is a very serviceable test level 10, I may have been slightly guilty of impressing on attendees of this parish that Lima Sopoaga was the next DC.

He clearly is not. But Richie Mo'unga is. :smug: :thumbup:
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

naki wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
It was a simpler time. George W was just starting his second term. The global economy was going gang busters with no chance of collapse. People were getting their heads around these new "smart phones". 2005 rocked. Plus I was still a supporter of the Canes.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Flockwitt wrote:
naki wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
It was a simpler time. George W was just starting his second term. The global economy was going gang busters with no chance of collapse. People were getting their heads around these new "smart phones". 2005 rocked. Plus I was still a supporter of the Canes.
Yes, George Bush, widely regarded at the time as setting a historic low water mark for US Presidents.

The All Blacks looked vulnerable in the upcoming Lions series, especially with no settled fly half.
BBC SPORT | Rugby Union | Lions in NZ | Demystifying the All Blacks aura
By Bryn Palmer
The All Blacks are routinely referred to as "mighty", with a proud history that makes New Zealand the greatest of all rugby nations.

But despite being number one in the official world rankings, something of the old aura has slipped from the Kiwi crown.

Four World Cups since their inaugural victory in 1987 have brought bouts of national mourning, and they have lost at least two matches in each of the past five years.

With Sir Clive Woodward plotting how to achieve only the Lions' second series win in New Zealand, we examine previous evidence of where the fault-lines can emerge.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

With Sir Clive Woodward plotting how to achieve only the Lions' second series win in New Zealand, we examine previous evidence of where the fault-lines can emerge.
Oh yes Sir Clive was going to bring an all mighty, all conquering, British and Irish Rugby Armada to the defenceless little island nation of New Zealand in what promised to be an unfair David vs Goliath match up both physically and economically. What a joke that turned out to be.

Interesting that his successor Warren Gatland, currently 0-7 as a Super Rugby coach, came much closer to achieving 'only the Lions' second series win in New Zealand'.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

booji boy wrote:
Oh yes Sir Clive was going to bring an all mighty, all conquering, British and Irish Rugby Armada to the defenceless little island nation of New Zealand in what promised to be an unfair David vs Goliath match up both physically and economically. What a joke that turned out to be.

Interesting that his successor Warren Gatland, currently 0-7 as a Super Rugby coach, came much closer to achieving 'only the Lions' second series win in New Zealand'.
I remember being very concerned that Woodward’s personality would introduce unnecessary animosity and taint the entire experience. Despite that I remained hopeful that the better historical relationship with the Irish, Welsh and Scots would prevail, so we could all celebrate the game we love in a positive atmosphere.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

Magnus Lund.

He was just too nice to thrive in the public school hooray Henry environment that was English rugby.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Harvey2.0 wrote:Ben Herring, he had a huge game against McCaw in the middle of a great season for him and Wellington poached him. He was underwhelming for the his time in Wellingto/The canes, I take comfort in the fact I was not alone in my stupidity considering Wellington let Kupu Vanisi go to make for him and Vanisi was a far better flanker.

A reverse Flee-wi!

... I should pop on over to the pretentious names thread with his kids! :lol:
The family is now in Wanaka, where the children – daughters Huxley (11) and Eckhart (6) and sons Rocket (8) and Boom (2) – are either in school or kindy a few days a week.
Harvey2.0

Post by Harvey2.0 »

Nieghorn wrote:
Harvey2.0 wrote:Ben Herring, he had a huge game against McCaw in the middle of a great season for him and Wellington poached him. He was underwhelming for the his time in Wellingto/The canes, I take comfort in the fact I was not alone in my stupidity considering Wellington let Kupu Vanisi go to make for him and Vanisi was a far better flanker.

A reverse Flee-wi!

... I should pop on over to the pretentious names thread with his kids! :lol:
The family is now in Wanaka, where the children – daughters Huxley (11) and Eckhart (6) and sons Rocket (8) and Boom (2) – are either in school or kindy a few days a week.
Are they pretentious or awful ? Ffs who names their kid Boom ?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Rodzilla
Jessie Mogg
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

For Canada - Chauncey O’Toole. Game came easy to him in Canada that he never learned a work ethnic and struggled to make the bench at Glasgow, London Scottish and Newport(?)

For All Blacks

Probably Anthony Boric, kept getting injured.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Stefan Terreblanche been mentioned?
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Nieghorn wrote:Back in the day... Keith Lowen, Isaia Toeava

Recent years... Gary Graham
He always looked like he was caught skipping Sunday school by his overbearing mother.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

True Blue wrote:

He always looked like he was caught skipping Sunday school by his overbearing mother.
Probably because he had tits for hands
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Tussock wrote:
True Blue wrote:

Probably because he had tits for hands
Yet another pet project of the coaches that the rest of us couldn't see the fuss about.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Clogs wrote:Stefan Terreblanche been mentioned?
Never understood why he never got a chance for the Boks.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Alex Cuthebert was good, then turned to utter utter shit.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Thomas wrote:I shot ropes over Lloyd Johannson in 2004/05. Thought the dude would be Australia's Tana Umaga.

lol no.
Ahh yeah we were all guilty of that. Big guy and a great name ;)

Other examples I can think of:

Rodzilla
David Fitter
Mark Chisholm
Peter Kimlin
Timani brothers
Richard Kingi
Luke Burgess
Josh Holmes
Jonah Placid
Brett Stapleton
Jack Debreczini
Probably loads more

Edit - Luke Jones also had a lot of hype but he never lived up to it.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Clive wrote:Alex Cuthebert was good, then turned to utter utter shit.
Well that's not embarrassing. Cuthbert actually was good for a bit, nobody could have seen how shit he'd turn.