Hurricanes v Chiefs

All things Rugby
Ogre

Hurricanes v Chiefs

Post by Ogre »

Can't see a match fred for the game of the round on 8/8/20 So here we go!

WHEN:
Saturday 8th August

KICK OFF:
Wellington - 7:05pm
Melbourne – 5.35pm

WHERE:
Wellington, NZ

Its a battle of the meh to determine if the Hurricanes beat the Chiefs and if the Chiefs are the new Blues of the NZ conference.

Please feel free to insert pictures of the southern most capital in the world as im a bit busy.

Teams
Hurricanes TBC

Chiefs Probably the losers but still TBC

A potential ripper of a game with the Cheats needing to play well to avoid the worst losing streak in cheats history and the Hurricanes needing a bonus point win to give themselves a mathmatical chance of winning. Its either a tight game with the good guys (thats the Hurricanes) winning or a blow out with the Hurricanes smashing the dirth cheats (thats the Chiefs) and winning the comp

Hurricanes by 50!
Ali's Choice

Re: Hurricanes v Chiefs

Post by Ali's Choice »

As much as I feel sorry for Chiefs fans right now, I want them to lose because I want to see how bad this Gatland led train crash can get. NZR don't sack SR coaches willy nilly, but a 0-8 record would see any pro level coach under significant pressure in any sport.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Ali's Choice wrote:As much as I feel sorry for Chiefs fans right now, I want them to lose because I want to see how bad this Gatland led train crash can get. NZR don't sack SR coaches willy nilly, but a 0-8 record would see any pro level coach under significant pressure in any sport.
Don't think NZR could sack him anyway, Chiefs have to do it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Dan54. wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:As much as I feel sorry for Chiefs fans right now, I want them to lose because I want to see how bad this Gatland led train crash can get. NZR don't sack SR coaches willy nilly, but a 0-8 record would see any pro level coach under significant pressure in any sport.
Don't think NZR could sack him anyway, Chiefs have to do it.
Yes, you are probably right. I don't think the Chiefs will sack him but he's not looking like an exceptional buy at this point, especially given his sabbatical is coming up, which will be extremely disruptive for the players.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Not losing any sleep about getting a bonus point win. If the Canes can continue to play the same organized team game and get a result vs a desperate Chiefs side that’ll do. Given the disrupted nature of the season start got to be happy with the Canes as they are playing. Let’s see the team sheets.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Flockwitt wrote:Not losing any sleep about getting a bonus point win. If the Canes can continue to play the same organized team game and get a result vs a desperate Chiefs side that’ll do. Given the disrupted nature of the season start got to be happy with the Canes as they are playing. Let’s see the team sheets.
Ditto.

Even a good but brave losing showing is above expectations for the Canes.

Given our injury and illness toll in that department, I'd like to see our loosies do particularly well against the heralded and storied AB Captain, Sam Cane, the mercurial pilferer and try scorer extraordinaire, Lachlan Boshier and the revelation that is the carving, smashing, dashing Pita Gus Sowakula. If not handsomer, they're bigger, faster, nastier and more powerful than the Canes trio.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ted. wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:Not losing any sleep about getting a bonus point win. If the Canes can continue to play the same organized team game and get a result vs a desperate Chiefs side that’ll do. Given the disrupted nature of the season start got to be happy with the Canes as they are playing. Let’s see the team sheets.
Ditto.

Given our injury and illness toll in that department, I'd like to see our loosies do particularly well against the heralded and storied AB Captain, Sam Cane, the mercurial pilferer and try scorer extraordinaire, Lachlan Boshier and the revelation that is the carving, smashing, dashing Pita Gus Sowakula. If not handsomer, they're bigger, faster, nastier and more powerful than the Canes trio.
Has AC taken over your login?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Looks like Ted currently is sitting on ACs knee with an arm up him...
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

kiwigreg369 wrote:Looks like Ted currently is sitting on ACs knee with an arm up him...
Hmmfff! There's no way I'm putting anyone's arm up AC, let alone my own.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

UncleFB wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Ditto.

Has AC taken over your login?
As for you, have a very happy gloating. :lol:
deverix

Post by deverix »

Gatland has dropped Cruden and Boshier for the Hurricanes game.

Luke Jacobson is back at 6. Karpik on the bench.
deverix

Post by deverix »

It's not like it's 8 losses from regular Super Rugby, they're all against NZ sides.

Still not a record to be proud of.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

deverix wrote:Gatland has dropped Cruden and Boshier for the Hurricanes game.

Yep keeping him on the Round 100

Gallagher Chiefs:
1. Ollie Norris (3)
2. Samisoni Taukei’aho (35)
3. Nepo Laulala (40)
4. Naitoa Ah Kuoi (11)
5. Mitchell Brown (44)
6. Luke Jacobson (24)
7. Sam Cane (121) ©
8. Pita Gus Sowakula (27)
9. Brad Weber (84)
10. Kaleb Trask (8)
11. Sean Wainui (37)
12. Alex Nankivell (31)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (80)
14. Shaun Stevenson (51)
15. Damian McKenzie (83)

Reserves:
16. Bradley Slater (14)
17. Robb Cobb**
18. Angus Ta’avao (34)
19. Tupou Vaa’i (6)
20. Mitchell Karpik (28)
21. Lisati Milo-Harris (4)
22. Quinn Tupaea (11)
23. Kini Naholo**

A team that could have some fun if he lets them
deverix

Post by deverix »

Enzedder wrote:

Gallagher Chiefs:
1. Ollie Norris (3)
3. Nepo Laulala (40)
4. Naitoa Ah Kuoi (11)
5. Mitchell Brown (44)
6. Luke Jacobson (24)
7. Sam Cane (121) ©
9. Brad Weber (84)
10. Kaleb Trask (8)
11. Sean Wainui (37)
12. Alex Nankivell (31)
14. Shaun Stevenson (51)
15. Damian McKenzie (83)

Reserves:
16. Bradley Slater (14)
17. Robb Cobb**
18. Angus Ta’avao (34)
19. Tupou Vaa’i (6)
20. Mitchell Karpik (28)
22. Quinn Tupaea (11)
23. Kini Naholo**

Naholo's Chiefs debut?

About time.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

And the other debutant - I know nothing about him but I hope Robb Cobb goes far
deverix

Post by deverix »

Enzedder wrote:And the other debutant - I know nothing about him but I hope Robb Cobb goes far
Robb Cobb, what a name
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Canes team:

Jordie Barrett, Kobus van Wyk, Peter Umaga-Jensen, Vince Aso, Wes Goosen,

Jackson Garden-Bachop, TJ Perenara (cc),

Ardie Savea, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Reed Prinsep,

Scott Scrafton, James Blackwell, Tyrel Lomax, Dane Coles (cc), Ben May.

Reserves:

Asafo Aumua, Tevita Mafileo, Pouri Rakete-Stones, Kane Le’aupepe, Devan Flanders,

Jamie Booth, Billy Proctor, Jonah Lowe.

Still no Walker Lewere????
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Missing Lumpy but that forward pack should be able to do the job and let's see how UJ does against Anton.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Flockwitt wrote:Missing Lumpy but that forward pack should be able to do the job and let's see how UJ does against Anton.
Lumpy? Who's that?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

deverix wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:Missing Lumpy but that forward pack should be able to do the job and let's see how UJ does against Anton.
Lumpy? Who's that?
Laumape
deverix

Post by deverix »

I forgot to add my prediction, Chiefs by 2. I think it'll be close but they'll finally break the hoodoo.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

The weather is having a turn for the worse, but should at least be dryish by kick off and around 7c.

I doubt that particularly suits either team.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Match day bump!

The Hurricanes are arguably the form team in the comp, having beaten both the Blues and Crusaders over the past month. Not sure if they have enough points to be a genuine title chance, but there are plenty of squad members who will be playing for representative honours later in the season. Their backrow of Savea, Kirifi and Princep is the form backrow in the comp and I look forward to seeing their contest with Cane, Sowakula and the returning Luke Jacobsen.
Normac

Post by Normac »

Expect the canes to roll on with their momentum from the Crusaders game. The chiefs backline has looked ordinary without cruden and I can’t see why tonight’s game will be any different. I’ll be keeping an eye on the loosehead battle and the double-barrel centre match up. Scrum dominance will be important with two number eights who are very effective off the back
Last edited by Normac on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Normac wrote:Expect the canes to roll on with their momentum from the Crusaders game. The chiefs backline have looked ordinary without cruden and I can’t see why tonight’s game will be any different. I’ll be keeping an eye on the loosehead battle and the double-barrel centre match up. Scrum dominance will be important with two number eights who are very effective off the back
Tbh, they've looked very ordinary with him as well. The Chiefs attack has been dyfunctional all season. They looked their best when they focused on the rolling maul against the Highlanders earlier in the season, but seemed to lose interest in the rolling maul not long afterward.
Normac

Post by Normac »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tbh, they've looked very ordinary with him as well. The Chiefs attack has been dyfunctional all season. They looked their best when they focused on the rolling maul against the Highlanders earlier in the season, but seemed to lose interest in the rolling maul not long afterward.
I agree. Cruden seemed to bring some steadiness though and I still think he’s the gutsiest little man on defence in the game (not that that helps with attack). Things are very stagnant in the midfield and outside backs which suggests the coaches don’t have an attacking plan. The Canes backline actually looked the same in the early rounds of the new comp but they quickly ironed things out - Gatland’s had more than enough time to re-jig his.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Normac wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote: Tbh, they've looked very ordinary with him as well. The Chiefs attack has been dyfunctional all season. They looked their best when they focused on the rolling maul against the Highlanders earlier in the season, but seemed to lose interest in the rolling maul not long afterward.
I agree. Cruden seemed to bring some steadiness though and I still think he’s the gutsiest little man on defence in the game (not that that helps with attack). Things are very stagnant in the midfield and outside backs which suggests the coaches don’t have an attacking plan. The Canes backline actually looked the same in the early rounds of the new comp but they quickly ironed things out - Gatland’s had more than enough time to re-jig his.
On paper the Chiefs still have a very strong backline. It should be performing better than it is.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Enzedder wrote:

Gallagher Chiefs:
1. Ollie Norris (3)
3. Nepo Laulala (40)
4. Naitoa Ah Kuoi (11)
5. Mitchell Brown (44)
6. Luke Jacobson (24)
7. Sam Cane (121) ©
9. Brad Weber (84)
10. Kaleb Trask (8)
11. Sean Wainui (37)
12. Alex Nankivell (31)
14. Shaun Stevenson (51)
15. Damian McKenzie (83)

Reserves:
16. Bradley Slater (14)
17. Robb Cobb**
18. Angus Ta’avao (34)
19. Tupou Vaa’i (6)
20. Mitchell Karpik (28)
22. Quinn Tupaea (11)
23. Kini Naholo**

I'm surprised they've left out NZ Sevens flyer Etene Nanai-Seturo.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Ali's Choice wrote:... Not sure if they have enough points to be a genuine title chance ...
They have have a very outside mathematical chance which would involve the Crusaders losing both of their remaining matches and possibly only one bonus point, the Blues beating the Crusaders without getting a bonus point and the Hurricanes getting 5 points from both of their remaining matches ... can't see it happening but should hopefully be a good game tonight.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Ah well, come on the good guys, go the Canes!
Couch

Post by Couch »

deverix wrote:
It's not like it's 8 losses from regular Super Rugby, they're all against NZ sides.

Still not a record to be proud of.
The Blues still hold that record of losing to NZ teams streak
Couch

Post by Couch »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Normac wrote:
I agree. Cruden seemed to bring teaksome steadiness though and I still think he’s the gutsiest little man on defence in the game (not that that helps with attack). Things are very stagnant in the midfield and outside backs which suggests the coaches don’t have an attacking plan. The Canes backline actually looked the same in the early rounds of the new comp but they quickly ironed things out - Gatland’s had more than enough time to re-jig his.
On paper the Chiefs still have a very strong backline. It should be performing better than it is.
Trask is still green and Wainui is M10 material.

I've seen alot stronger backlines from the Chiefs
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

COME ON CANES!

A win would be very nice.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Does anyone have a link fore my friend?

Magic!!!!

A working link has been discovered.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

The bad guys are up for this.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Tackle!
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Kiwias wrote:Does anyone have a link fore my friend?

Magic!!!!

A working link has been discovered.
But waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the actual match. Still introducing the players :x :x :x
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Set this to record, so I'll wander in shortly. I'm rather fond of the 'canes so I'd prefer they win but, since I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for the Chiefs and their supporters, a result going the other way wouldn't be an occasion for self-harm.