Hurricanes v Chiefs

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: Hurricanes v Chiefs

Post by jdogscoop »

Lots of talk about how the Chiefs are unlucky, sawn off by a refs wrong call, star sign in the wrong corner of Venus.

Here's my hot take.

They just aren't very good. The Chiefs couldn't score a try if their life fvcking depended on it.

Of the five Kiwi sides, they're the most impotent.

Surprise! They're stone cold last.
HANDSOMECAKE

Post by HANDSOMECAKE »

Perenara always struck me as a complete an utter knobend, A sunshine boy . A young fella who needed to pull his trousers up and stop listening to snoop doggy dogg. However.............

He has completely won me over (about 3 years ago) , He's the consummate pro, always in shape . Body on the line , well spoken and never gives an inch . He's a decent skin
HANDSOMECAKE

Post by HANDSOMECAKE »

merlin the happy pig wrote:Chiefs totally disorganized on attack.
Not only that their passing was among the worst I've ever seen from a professional side.
Hardly once did I see pass someone could run onto.

McKenzie sadly looks a spent force after his knee injury.
He's not quite Milner Skudder slow, but whereas last year you would back him to be almost anyone on the outside, he hardly ever gets defenders with pace now.
I hope he can regain it, but it doesn't look promising.

Gatland you would have to say has been a total flop. If there was a team pattern there I couldn't see it.

Forgot to mention the Canes, another good performance, Perenara in the form of his life, setting the backline alight beautifully.

Hope DMAC can regain his form. He is a baller and he was missed at the RWC.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

HANDSOMECAKE wrote:Perenara always struck me as a complete an utter knobend, A sunshine boy . A young fella who needed to pull his trousers up and stop listening to snoop doggy dogg. However.............

He has completely won me over (about 3 years ago) , He's the consummate pro, always in shape . Body on the line , well spoken and never gives an inch . He's a decent skin
I think you need to trust your base instincts more.

Perenara is a tremendous bellend.

I didn't really understand much of your second par, although it sounded like you wanted to man fudge him.
Couch

Post by Couch »

jdogscoop wrote:
HANDSOMECAKE wrote:Perenara always struck me as a complete an utter knobend, A sunshine boy . A young fella who needed to pull his trousers up and stop listening to snoop doggy dogg. However.............

I didn't really understand much of your second par, although it sounded like you wanted to man fudge him.
Takes a bellend to know a bellend
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

jdogscoop wrote:

Handsome is right. TJP is fantastic, particularly off the field where he’s not afraid to speak up on controversial issues. I’m a huge fan.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Any reason Boshier wasn't in the team? Should be starting at 7 (Cane to 6), but at least a bench spot. Thought he's been excellent in a losing team.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Tussock wrote:Any reason Boshier wasn't in the team? Should be starting at 7 (Cane to 6), but at least a bench spot. Thought he's been excellent in a losing team.
Think Gatland rested him along with Cruden. No injury was spoken about.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

His body has cried enough. he put it on the line like no other for 7 games and one more was too much. (He went off injured against the Sadists)

Thought jacobsen did well on his return.

I hope that Gats (or his fill-in) have already started looking for some decent tight forwards or else we'll do it all again next year.

We couldn't even get onto the front foot against the Canes.
Last edited by Enzedder on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

JPNZ wrote:
Tussock wrote:Any reason Boshier wasn't in the team? Should be starting at 7 (Cane to 6), but at least a bench spot. Thought he's been excellent in a losing team.
Think Gatland rested him along with Cruden. No injury was spoken about.
Cheers
Tussock

Post by Tussock »

Enzedder wrote:His body has cried enough. he put it on the line like no other for 7 games and one more was too much. (He went off injured against the Sadists)

Thought jacobsen did well on his return.

I hope that Gats (or his fill-in) have already started looking for some decent tight forwards or else we'll do it all again next year.

We couldn't even get onto the front foot against the Canes.
Agree abjout Jacobsen and the need for Chief's to get a stronger tight 5.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I didn't watch the game (again). But good to know the Hurricanes are as invincible as ever.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

I don't agree. The Chiefs have 3 All Black tight forwards in the front row and they are not the only team with struggles at Lock. No NZ team has been impressive in this area, not even the Crusaders it is an area of national weakness, so to blame the tight forwards doesn't cut it. If they were that much shitter than the other NZ sides in this area you would have seen big blow out scores which you have not.

It is obvious to me the issue is to do with coaching. The team is being told to play a style they are not familiar with or used to. Whether the approach is shit or the players haven't brought into and adapted enough to it is up for debate but this combined with Cruden and Mackenzie being shadows of their former selves and unable to bail them out with some out of the blue brilliance has made for a bad run for the team and fans.

It reminds me of the Blackadder/Robertson period with the Crusaders. Put Rennie in charge of the same Chiefs squad next season and they would win more than 50% of their games and be challengers for the title.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

jdogscoop wrote:Lots of talk about how the Chiefs are unlucky, sawn off by a refs wrong call, star sign in the wrong corner of Venus.

Here's my hot take.

They just aren't very good. The Chiefs couldn't score a try if their life fvcking depended on it.

Of the five Kiwi sides, they're the most impotent.

Surprise! They're stone cold last.
Have to agree with this.

Not sure what has gone on with the Chiefs and I have to concede coaching style may have been be an influence, but I am not convinced yet and the jury is still out for me.
They are not playing the breakout rugby from turnovers that they regularly used to do and when they do use it they seem to squander their chances so easily with wrong options and poor kicking. I think if they had held onto the ball a lot more they may have won the odd game.

Watched Laulala last night and he is nowhere the player he was 2 years ago, missing tackles and dropping the ball, Weber taking wrong options and clearing too slowly and the all round ball skills they used to be so proud of are lacking. Probably only Cane, Boshier and Sowakula come out with any credit in the forwards and ALB and Cruden in the backs. What is the point of DMac if he cant score a try or at least create an opportunity.

Their style is boring and too many of their player's don't have enough upstairs and don't see opportunities when it slaps them in the face.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

That sounds good tubbyj, but there was hardly a game where the Chiefs managed more than 1 AB tight forward on the park for any game.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

tubbyj wrote:It reminds me of the Blackadder/Robertson period with the Crusaders.
Blackadder won nearly 70% of his games as coach of the Crusaders :?
Salient

Post by Salient »

Ali's Choice wrote:
tubbyj wrote:It reminds me of the Blackadder/Robertson period with the Crusaders.
Blackadder won nearly 70% of his games as coach of the Crusaders :?
Dark times indeed for Crusader supporters :nod:
GotheCanes

Post by GotheCanes »

Wilderbeast wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

Handsome is right. TJP is fantastic, particularly off the field where he’s not afraid to speak up on controversial issues. I’m a huge fan.
:thumbup:
Life in politics when the rugby is over
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

South African wing Kobus van Wyk might have played his final match for the Hurricanes after he was cited for an alleged dangerous throw on Chiefs halfback Brad Weber.

Van Wyk was yellow carded by referee James Doleman for flipping Weber onto his shoulder in the 37th minute of the Hurricanes’ 31-18 Super Rugby Aotearoa victory over the Chiefs in Wellington on Saturday.

After reviewing the footage, a Sanzaar citing commissioner deemed the incident had met the red card threshold for foul play.

England-bound van Wyk was cited to appear before a Sanzaar Foul Play Review Committee at 7pm on Monday.

Match footage shows Weber and van Wyk contesting a TJ Perenara kick, and when the ball bounces free van Wyk picks up Weber between the legs and flips him over as he falls onto his left shoulder.

Weber remonstrates with officials and Doleman immediately blows his whistle and sends van Wyk to the sin bin for 10 minutes.

Van Wyk is alleged to have contravened law 9.18: “A player must not lift an opponent off the ground and drop or drive that player so that their head and/or upper body make contact with the ground”.

Under World Rugby’s recommended sanctions for foul play, a six-week ban is at the low end, and 10 weeks is the mid-range.

Former Sharks and Stormers player van Wyk joined the Hurricanes at the end of last year via former coach John Plumtree and his South African connections.

He proved a good buy for the Hurricanes, scoring a hat-trick on debut against the Sunwolves in February, and notching his fourth try of Super Rugby Aotearoa on Saturday.

English club Leicester Tigers announced van Wyk’s signing last month and he will join them after his Hurricanes commitments are over.

Leicester are scheduled to resume their English Premiership campaign against Exeter on Saturday as the competition plays its remaining nine rounds of the suspended season due to Covid-19.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

He proved a good buy for the Hurricanes, scoring a hat-trick on debut against the Sunwolves in February, and notching his fourth try of Super Rugby Aotearoa on Saturday.
Helped pad out the squad but I'd leave it at that.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Oh well not like next week's game means anything and he's leaving as well so meh. I think Flockwit's comment summed him up really, not a shabby player by any means but him going won't be a great big loss.