SA rugby return to play

All things Rugby
OomStruisbaai

Re: SA rugby return to play

Post by OomStruisbaai »

ZuluBoy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 pm Injuries WP. Not good as they face the Pumas who beat the Bulls in the second half as theyr'e one of the fittest teams
All teams have injuries. WeePee specially have depth and can't use it as an excuse.

Dobson is more a worry. Expect a lot from him but seems that Varsity Cup was his highest level as coach. He keep pushing his Bishops Souties like Fleck.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

ZuluBoy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 pm Injuries WP. Not good as they face the Pumas who beat the Bulls in the second half as theyr'e one of the fittest teams
Every team has it's injuries.
WP should have enough depth and talent to smash a fairly mediocre Lions team.

Dobson isn't the Messiah.
I don't think that the boardroom shenanigans can be helping the players much.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Chilli wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:21 pm

:lol:

You're behind the times
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Jensrsa wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:19 pm

You're behind the times
Eh?
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Chilli wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:26 am

You're behind the times
Eh?
The game has already been played and the Lions won
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Rugby365 Readers’ Team of the Week
15. Tiaan Swanepoel (Lions)
Next best: Kurt-Lee Arendse (Bulls)

14. Stean Pienaar (Lions)
Next best: David Kriel (Bulls)

13. Ruhan Nel (WP)
Next best: Stedman Gans (Bulls)

12. Cornal Hendricks (Bulls)
Next best: Burger Odendaal (Lions)

11. Courtnall Skosan (Lions)
Next best: Eduan Keyter (Griquas)

10 Morne Steyn (Bulls)
Next best: Elton Jantjies (Lions)

9. Embrose Papier (Bulls)
Next best: Ross Cronje (Lions)

8. Duane Vermeulen (Bulls)
Next best: Jeandré Rudolph (Cheetahs)

7. Arno Botha (Bulls)
Next best: Vincent Tshituka (Lions)

6. Marco van Staden (Bulls)
Next best: Jaco Kriel (Lions)

5. Walt Steenkamp (Bulls)
Next best: JD Schickerling (WP)

4. Willem Alberts (Lions)
Next best: Sintu Manjezi (Bulls)

3. Frans Malherbe (WP)
Next best: Trevor Nyakane (Bulls)

2. Johan Grobbelaar (Bulls)
Next best: Bongi Mbonambi (WP)

1. Steven Kitshoff (WP)
Next best: Sti Sithole (Lions)

https://rugby365.com/opinion/second-pha ... r-bullish/
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:34 pm
All teams have injuries. WeePee specially have depth and can't use it as an excuse.

Dobson is more a worry. Expect a lot from him but seems that Varsity Cup was his highest level as coach. He keep pushing his Bishops Souties like Fleck.
Oom that is a bit harsh. I am no Bishops lover but other than Tim Swiel (in due to injury) and Lleyds off the bench, out of a squad of 26 for the last game. besides the two Bishops boys in the team, not one from a Cape Town Southern Suburb school. My feeling is that he is relying too much on the "Boks", particularly at forward to do the job. Only one player who has pulled on an Ikey jersey, so there is absolutely no bias. My feeling is we are missing the flair that Ikeys and Southern Suburbs bring to games.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

beachboy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:03 am

Oom that is a bit harsh. I am no Bishops lover but other than Tim Swiel (in due to injury) and Lleyds off the bench, out of a squad of 26 for the last game. besides the two Bishops boys in the team, not one from a Cape Town Southern Suburb school. My feeling is that he is relying too much on the "Boks", particularly at forward to do the job. Only one player who has pulled on an Ikey jersey, so there is absolutely no bias. My feeling is we are missing the flair that Ikeys and Southern Suburbs bring to games.
OK, so more Souties. Dobson better get his act together. WeePee is playing far below par at the moment.

What do Rassie/Nienaber see in Kade Wolhuter and Dobson missing?

He can play 3 positions and his kicking compare to Pollard.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Jensrsa wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 am
Chilli wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:26 am

You're behind the times
Eh?
The game has already been played and the Lions won
I am well aware of that
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Last edited by Jensrsa on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

I suppose if the Bulls General Steyn Morne' is a V8 and the Freestate General Steyn Frans is a Straight six then Swanepoel the Lion King is a V16 1000 horses
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

WeePee, Cheetahs and Bulls (the good guys) by 50 this weekend. Here first.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Western Province to play Pumas – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Michal Haznar, 12 Rikus Pretorius, 11 Tristan Leyds, 10 Tim Swiel, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Jaco Coetzee, 7 Ernst van Rhyn, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 David Meihuizen, 4 Salmaan Moerat, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Subs (from): 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, 19 Chris van Zyl, 20 Johan du Toit, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Kade Wolhuter, 23 Dan du Plessis, 24 Kwenzo Blose, 25 Marcel Theunissen, 26 Sihle Njezula.

Date: Friday, December 11
Venue: Newlands, Cape Town
Kick-off: 19.00 (17.00 GMT)
Referee: Paul Mente
Assistant Referees: Aimee Barrett-Theron, Egon Seconds
TMO: Joey Klaaste-Salmans
Last edited by Jensrsa on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

And yet, to say that the Free State and the Eastern Cape have contributed nothing to the South African cause would be wide of the mark.

The value of these regions lies in their schools and junior structures, and ultimately the players who they routinely offer up to the South African system. The bigger franchises and the Springboks have reaped the benefit of these structures over the past three decades.

A study of the 357 players who have been capped since the Springboks’ return from isolation yields some interesting findings. The table below provides a representation of where these Boks went to high school and where they were based when they eventually received their first Test cap.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/feature-cheetahs-kings/
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Not surprised with those. Sharks & Bulls the biggest poachers.
assfly

Post by assfly »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:39 am Not surprised with those. Sharks & Bulls the biggest poachers.
You a bit worried about the sight of Kolisi in a Sharks jersey?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Not at all. He fit right in at the Sharks. Need to patch up his Zulu
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Jensrsa wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:01 am Western Province to play Pumas – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Michal Haznar, 12 Rikus Pretorius, 11 Tristan Leyds, 10 Tim Swiel, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Jaco Coetzee, 7 Ernst van Rhyn, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 David Meihuizen, 4 Salmaan Moerat, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Subs (from): 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, 19 Chris van Zyl, 20 Johan du Toit, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Kade Wolhuter, 23 Dan du Plessis, 24 Kwenzo Blose, 25 Marcel Theunissen, 26 Sihle Njezula.

Pumas: 15 Tapiwa Mafura, 14 Luther Obi, 13 Erich Cronjé, 12 Ali Mgijima, 11 Isbell Ruwellyn, 10 Tiaan Botas, 9 Chriswill September, 8 Willie Engelbrecht, 7 Darrien-Lane Landsberg, 6 Daniel Maartens, 5 Pieter Jansen van Vuuren (captain), 4 Le Roux Roets , 3 Ig Prinsloo, 2 Simon Westraad, 1 Morgan Naude.
Replacements: 16 Marko Janse van Rensburg, 17 Wikus Groenewald, 18 Brandon Valentyn, 19 Ewart Potgieter, 20 Ginter Smuts, 21 Devon Williams, 22 Jacob Kleinhans, 23 Liam Hendricks.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:13 pm

OK, so more Souties. Dobson better get his act together. WeePee is playing far below par at the moment.

Kade is talented but my feeling is he is not ready for this level. I forgot Chris Van Zyl went to Rondebosch but he is not good enough to play for WP, hopefully he does not get a contract next year. I just feel our style of play is very conservative and based around a dominant scrum. The jury is out on Dobson.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

Jensrsa wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:33 am
Jensrsa wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:01 am Western Province to play Pumas – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Michal Haznar, 12 Rikus Pretorius, 11 Tristan Leyds, 10 Tim Swiel, 9 Paul de Wet, 8 Jaco Coetzee, 7 Ernst van Rhyn, 6 Siya Kolisi (c), 5 David Meihuizen, 4 Salmaan Moerat, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.

Pumas: 15 Tapiwa Mafura, 14 Luther Obi, 13 Erich Cronjé, 12 Ali Mgijima, 11 Isbell Ruwellyn, 10 Tiaan Botas, 9 Chriswill September, 8 Willie Engelbrecht, 7 Darrien-Lane Landsberg, 6 Daniel Maartens, 5 Pieter Jansen van Vuuren (captain), 4 Le Roux Roets , 3 Ig Prinsloo, 2 Simon Westraad, 1 Morgan Naude.
Replacements: 16 Marko Janse van Rensburg, 17 Wikus Groenewald, 18 Brandon Valentyn, 19 Ewart Potgieter, 20 Ginter Smuts, 21 Devon Williams, 22 Jacob Kleinhans, 23 Liam Hendricks.
That is a very quick and attacking backline. Defensively I am a little concerned about Lleyds, Swiel and Haznar (he is not provincial quality in my opinion) but against the Puma's we should have a lot of ball and I can see us counterattacking a lot from the Puma's kicking game.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

beachboy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:07 am

Kade is talented but my feeling is he is not ready for this level. I forgot Chris Van Zyl went to Rondebosch but he is not good enough to play for WP, hopefully he does not get a contract next year. I just feel our style of play is very conservative and based around a dominant scrum. The jury is out on Dobson.
He's not ready to play at CC level? And where is he going to gain experience at this level if not at this level. Fok, if he's not ready for CC level rugby then he's hardly that talented.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

assfly wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 am
OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:39 am Not surprised with those. Sharks & Bulls the biggest poachers.
You a bit worried about the sight of Kolisi in a Sharks jersey?
I have a feeling this is all related to the USA expats who want to buy WP. The press are reporting that they are now also talking to the Sharks about buying in and you also have Kolisi rumours flying around. My feeling is this is being used to put pressure on WP to accept the offer. It is an old negotiating tactic.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Average Joe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:13 am
beachboy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:07 am

He's not ready to play at CC level? And where is he going to gain experience at this level if not at this level. Fok, if he's not ready for CC level rugby then he's hardly that talented.
He was good enough for Rassie and Nienaber.

Swiel is Dobson love child.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

Pollard played his first senior CC game at 19 and had his first Bok cap at 20 after one Super Rugby season. I'm with you on this one oom. The kid's ready for this level, if he's not he'll never be.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

The Pumas flyhalf turned 19 on Monday. Would have been ideal to start Wolhuter against another youngster
assfly

Post by assfly »

beachboy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:16 am I have a feeling this is all related to the USA expats who want to buy WP. The press are reporting that they are now also talking to the Sharks about buying in and you also have Kolisi rumours flying around. My feeling is this is being used to put pressure on WP to accept the offer. It is an old negotiating tactic.
Ja I agree. I don't see it happening with Kolisi, but it's a good way to get reactions from people.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Sharks – 15 Manie Libbok, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am (c), 12 Marius Louw, 11 Yaw Penxe, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Sanele Nohamba, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Henco Venter, 6 Dylan Richardson, 5 Hyron Andrews, 4 Ruben van Heerden, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Daniel Jooste, 1 Ox Nche.
Subs: 16 Kerron van Vuuren, 17 Mzamo Majola, 18 Michael Kumbirai, 19 JJ van der Mescht, 20 Thembelani Bholi, 21 Phepsi Buthelezi, 22 Jaden Hendrikse, 23 Jeremy Ward.

Saturday, 12 December 2020:
Cell C Sharks vs Vodacom Blue Bulls at Jonsson Kings Park, Durban @ 14h00
Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen
Assistant Referees: Stuart Berry, Aimee Barrett-Theron
Television Match Official: Marius Jonker
Last edited by Jensrsa on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Not a bad team. Just fullback that is a weakness.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Cheetahs: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 William Small-Smith, 13 Howard Mnisi, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Malcolm Jaer, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Jeandre Rudolph, 7 Aidon Davis, 6 Andisa Ntsila, 5 Carl Wegner (captain), 4 Ian Groenewald, 3 Khutha Mchunu, 2 Jacques du Toit, 1 Boan Venter
Substitutes: 16 Marnus van der Merwe, 17 Cameron Dawson, 18 Erich de Jager, 19 Reniel Hugo, 20 Victor Sekekete, 21 Ruben de Haas, 22 Reinhardt Fortuin, 23 Dries Swanepoel

Saturday, 12 December 2020
Toyota Free State Cheetahs vs Xerox Lions at Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein @ 16h30
Referee: Rasta Rasivhenge
Assistant Referees: AJ Jacobs, Griffin Colby
Television Match Official: Jaco Peyper

Apparently Specman failed a fitness test today
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Jensrsa wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:26 am Sharks – 15 Manie Libbok, 14 Sbu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am (c), 12 Marius Louw, 11 Yaw Penxe, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Sanele Nohamba, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Henco Venter, 6 Dylan Richardson, 5 Hyron Andrews, 4 Ruben van Heerden, 3 Thomas du Toit, 2 Daniel Jooste, 1 Ox Nche.
Subs: 16 Kerron van Vuuren, 17 Mzamo Majola, 18 Michael Kumbirai, 19 JJ van der Mescht, 20 Thembelani Bholi, 21 Phepsi Buthelezi, 22 Jaden Hendrikse, 23 Jeremy Ward.

Saturday, 12 December 2020:
Cell C Sharks vs Vodacom Blue Bulls at Jonsson Kings Park, Durban @ 14h00
Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen
Assistant Referees: Stuart Berry, Aimee Barrett-Theron
Television Match Official: Marius Jonker
Bulls: 15 David Kriel, 14 Marnus Potgieter, 13 Stedman Gans, 12 Cornal Hendricks, 11 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Ivan van Zyl, 8 Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7 Arno Botha, 6 Marco van Staden, 5 Ruan Nortje, 4 Walt Steenkamp, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Jacques van Rooyen
Substitutes: 16 Schalk Erasmus, 17 Gerhard Steenekamp, 18 Mornay Smith, 19 Sintu Manjezi, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Chris Smith, 23 Marco Jansen van Vuren
Last edited by Jensrsa on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Eish, that Bulls backrow. Going to eat us alive at the breakdown if we don't try something different.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Marco van Staden will walk into the Bok team at the moment. Goodbye Kolisi, we need a new captain.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

assfly wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:55 pm Eish, that Bulls backrow. Going to eat us alive at the breakdown if we don't try something different.
Thats a mean machine there. Reminds me of 2008 Cheetahs squad when Duanne played with Brussow and Juan.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Jensrsa wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:40 am Cheetahs: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 William Small-Smith, 13 Howard Mnisi, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Malcolm Jaer, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Jeandre Rudolph, 7 Aidon Davis, 6 Andisa Ntsila, 5 Carl Wegner (captain), 4 Ian Groenewald, 3 Khutha Mchunu, 2 Jacques du Toit, 1 Boan Venter
Substitutes: 16 Marnus van der Merwe, 17 Cameron Dawson, 18 Erich de Jager, 19 Reniel Hugo, 20 Victor Sekekete, 21 Ruben de Haas, 22 Reinhardt Fortuin, 23 Dries Swanepoel

Saturday, 12 December 2020
Toyota Free State Cheetahs vs Xerox Lions at Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein @ 16h30
Referee: Rasta Rasivhenge
Assistant Referees: AJ Jacobs, Griffin Colby
Television Match Official: Jaco Peyper

Apparently Specman failed a fitness test today
Lions: 15 Tiaan Swanepoel, 14 Stean Pienaar, 13 Wandisile Simelane, 12 Dan Kriel, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies (captain), 9 Andre Warner, 8 Len Massyn, 7 Vince Tshituka, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Willem Alberts, 4 Marvin Orie, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Sti Sithole
Substitutes: 16 Jan-Henning Campher, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Ruan Dreyer, 19 Reinhard Nothnagel, 20 Wilhelm van der Sluys, 21 Morne van den Berg, 22 Mannie Rass, 23 Roelof Smit
assfly

Post by assfly »

Average Joe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:15 pm Thats a mean machine there. Reminds me of 2008 Cheetahs squad when Duanne played with Brussow and Juan.
For want of a better word, backrows like that are basically just unfair.
handyman

Post by handyman »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 pm Marco van Staden will walk into the Bok team at the moment. Goodbye Kolisi, we need a new captain.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Bok jersey for the B&I Lions tour
featuring a ‘vintage colourway and special commemorative 3D logo’
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

The kick-off time for the highly-anticipated Currie Cup match between the Sharks and Vodacom Bulls has been changed due to expected thunderstorms in Durban on Saturday night.

The game at Kings Park was scheduled to start at 7pm on Saturday, but it has now been confirmed that the kick off time has now been brought forward to 2pm due to an expected storm later in the evening.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/sharks-bulls-rescheduled/
assfly

Post by assfly »

Great. Planned an early braai so I could catch the game. Now I'll be slaving in front the coals during the match :x