Under-used players in Super Rugby Aotearoa 2020?

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Under-used players in Super Rugby Aotearoa 2020?

Post by Ali's Choice »

Who are players who have the ability or potential to perform at this level, and who have been fit to play, but who have been under-used by their franchise for a variety of reasons?

15. Chase Tiatia
14. Manasa Mata'ele
13. Vince Aso
12. Teihorangi Walden, Tumua Manu
11. Leicester Fainga'anuku, Wes Goosen
10. Fletcher Smith, Harry Plummer, Dan Carter
9. Te Tahuriorangi, Folau Fakatava, Ese Enari

8. Teariki Ben-Nicholas, Gareth Evans
7. Mitch Karpik
6. Vaea Fifita, Devon Flanders
5. Isaia Walker-Leawere
4. Luke Romano
3. Isi Tu'angafasi
2. Andrew Makalio
1. Harry Allan
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UncleFB

Re: Under-used players in Super Rugby Aotearoa 2020?

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:Who are players who have the ability or potential to perform at this level, and who have been fit to play, but who have been under-used by their franchise for a variety of reasons?

15. Chase Tiatia
14. Manasa Mata'ele
13. Vince Aso
12. Tumua Manu
11. Leicester Fainga'anuku
10. Fletcher Smith, Harry Plummer

8. Teariki Ben-Nicholas
7. Mitch Karpik
6. Devon Flanders
5. Isaia Walker-Leawere
4. Luke Romano
3. Isi Tu'angafasi
2. Andrew Makalio
1. Harry Allan
That's a decent team, I'd punt Manu because I don't think he's any good and replace him with Walden, one because he's good, two because they've been playing Tomkinson there who is not good, and three because Mauger is a former 12 himself so how on earth does he make that decision?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Who are players who have the ability or potential to perform at this level, and who have been fit to play, but who have been under-used by their franchise for a variety of reasons?

15. Chase Tiatia
14. Manasa Mata'ele
13. Vince Aso
12. Tumua Manu

8. Teariki Ben-Nicholas
7. Mitch Karpik
6. Devon Flanders
5. Isaia Walker-Leawere
4. Luke Romano
3. Isi Tu'angafasi
2. Andrew Makalio
1. Harry Allan
That's a decent team, I'd punt Manu because I don't think he's any good and replace him with Walden, one because he's good, two because they've been playing Tomkinson there who is not good, and three because Mauger is a former 12 himself so how on earth does he make that decision?
I agree that it's a decent team. And it doesn't include a stack of players who have been under-used due to injury. It suggests that NZ has enough depth for a 6th SR team if the need arose.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

UncleFB wrote: That's a decent team, I'd punt Manu because I don't think he's any good and replace him with Walden, one because he's good, two because they've been playing Tomkinson there who is not good, and three because Mauger is a former 12 himself so how on earth does he make that decision?
Mauger's into his third year now and he's out of contract after this year - will be interesting to see if he's kept on.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

great depth at 9 I must say - future's looking good.
trapper

Post by trapper »

No room for All Black Brett Cameron?
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

trapper wrote:No room for All Black Brett Cameron?
He's not underused....
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Perofeta injured? Hasn't come back from the injury to warrant time?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Shrekles wrote:
trapper wrote:No room for All Black Brett Cameron?
He's not underused....
Agreed. He played 5 mins last week, so therefore he'd qualify for an Overused XV. He'd be their captain.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Remove Chase Tiatia - I haven't wanted to see any more of him than we have. He looks an NPC level player to me.

Replace him with Wes Goosen who has been underused for much of the season.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Gareth Evans is also underused
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Sonny Blount wrote:Gareth Evans is also underused
He's injured - I assume this team is for overlooked players.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I've also added Dan Carter to the 10's.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Great call, he's not far off being an AB yet cannot make the Canes starting XV.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Tei Walden.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Don't you fuckers read my posts. :D
Ali's Choice wrote:
Great call, he's not far off being an AB yet cannot make the Canes starting XV.
jdogscoop wrote:Tei Walden.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Yes FB, I'm merely agreeing with you. :D
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Hey what about Tei Walden?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Under-used implies the coaches should be selecting these players more. Is that really what we are saying?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:Under-used implies the coaches should be selecting these players more. Is that really what we are saying?
No, I meant 'under-used' as in the coach had quality players available that were surplus to their team's requirements. The OP was really about highlighting the depth that is in NZ rugby right now.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:Under-used implies the coaches should be selecting these players more. Is that really what we are saying?
No, I meant 'under-used' as in the coach had quality players available that were surplus to their team's requirements. The OP was really about highlighting the depth that is in NZ rugby right now.
You gave us too much leeway. This is on you.
Who are players who have the ability or potential to perform at this level, and who have been fit to play, but who have been under-used by their franchise for a variety of reasons?
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

I would certainly put last year's one match wonder, Vaea Fifita in that XV. The wheels must have fallen off big-time.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

jdogscoop wrote:Yes FB, I'm merely agreeing with you. :D
:thumbup:
HouseOfPane wrote:Hey what about Tei Walden?
:lol:
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

I'd take local Otago Tomkinson over Tei Walden, he's developed quite the cult following for such a very ordinary player.

I'd tend to agree, we've got All Black quality players missing out on bench spots.Are we at a disadvantage in comparison to England by only having 5 spots available for professional quality players to ply their trade? Would we be better off having 8 Kiwi 10s for example starting week in week out instead the current 5?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

One guy that should be in this conversation is Tei Walden.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:I'd take local Otago Tomkinson over Tei Walden, he's developed quite the cult following for such a very ordinary player.

I'd tend to agree, we've got All Black quality players missing out on bench spots.Are we at a disadvantage in comparison to England by only having 5 spots available for professional quality players to ply their trade? Would we be better off having 8 Kiwi 10s for example starting week in week out instead the current 5?
Tomkinson has a cult following down there?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I've added Vaea Fifita and Teihorangi Walden to the OP. To be honest, that team of unwanted NZ cast-offs would win Super Rugby AU without breaking a sweat. And it doesn't include the masses of players who are currently injured. Maybe we do have the depth for 6 teams?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

We easily have depth for 6 but not really the hone bases for it. Where would no.6 go? It’s why I’m all for opening up eligibility for NZ players in Aussie to allow our depth to get game time instead of getting stuck on the bench.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:We easily have depth for 6 but not really the hone bases for it. Where would no.6 go? It’s why I’m all for opening up eligibility for NZ players in Aussie to allow our depth to get game time instead of getting stuck on the bench.
Base it at North Harbour Stadium.

I agree with you that if we go TT, it's a no brainer to have these good players starting for Aussie teams. Players like of this standard should not be playing club rugby. We'll lose then to the NH and then they'll be lost forever, and possibly end up playing against us for Ireland, Scotland, Wales or England.
Normac

Post by Normac »

You could throw Milner Skudder in too although I’m not sure if he’s injured or just isn’t getting picked.

Teariki Ben-Nicholas has to be kicking himself for going to the number 8-less landers only for Mikaele Tu’u to have a stellar season. I wonder if the Crusaders ever gave him a ring.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Normac wrote:You could throw Milner Skudder in too although I’m not sure if he’s injured or just isn’t getting picked.

Teariki Ben-Nicholas has to be kicking himself for going to the number 8-less landers only for Mikaele Tu’u to have a stellar season. I wonder if the Crusaders ever gave him a ring.
Ben-Nicholas would have been a brilliant fit for us, we have no ball running loose forwards.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Normac wrote:You could throw Milner Skudder in too although I’m not sure if he’s injured or just isn’t getting picked.

Milner Skudder has been injured (shoulder or something) then somehow did his knee this week when he was set to play club rugby today. I suspect he tripped on a cobblestone while taking a stroll around the Octagon.
HouseOfPane

Post by HouseOfPane »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

Milner Skudder has been injured (shoulder or something) then somehow did his knee this week when he was set to play club rugby today. I suspect he tripped on a cobblestone while taking a stroll around the Octagon.
Reckless stuff from the Highlanders management - letting HIM take a stroll. What are they - nuts? Everyone knows how dangerous a simple 'stroll' can be. I would assume that when he's not on the field, the team would have one of their doctors push him around in a wheelchair - just in case.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

Vilimoni Koroi would be a more than useful utility. Can play 10, 15 or on the wing.
booze

Post by booze »

Ali's Choice wrote:
UncleFB wrote:

15. Chase Tiatia
14. Manasa Mata'ele
13. Vince Aso
12. Tumua Manu

8. Teariki Ben-Nicholas
7. Mitch Karpik
6. Devon Flanders
5. Isaia Walker-Leawere
4. Luke Romano
3. Isi Tu'angafasi
2. Andrew Makalio
1. Harry Allan
I agree that it's a decent team. And it doesn't include a stack of players who have been under-used due to injury. It suggests that NZ has enough depth for a 6th SR team if the need arose.
the need might arise if we do have a domestic super competition as oppossedto a TT super comp.

The economic impact on clubs in the Nth hemiphere may well mean more NZers come back to play in NZ with less leaving so it may make sense to do so.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Who would have thunk Mataele couldn't get a game after his 2018-19 seasons, and Luke Romano would walk into any other team.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

HouseOfPane wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:

Reckless stuff from the Highlanders management - letting HIM take a stroll. What are they - nuts? Everyone knows how dangerous a simple 'stroll' can be. I would assume that when he's not on the field, the team would have one of their doctors push him around in a wheelchair - just in case.
I have it on good authority that Jesus appeared in a dream the night before the World Cup final 2015. The Son of God offered a deal. One - you will score a try and you will not have to buy a beer in NZ ever again. The alternative? Take the deal and you will never string two games together as long as you will live.

We know what option NMS took.