Will there be any SH test rugby in 2020?

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Will there be any SH test rugby in 2020?

Post by Ali's Choice »

I am increasingly pessimistic that we will see any test Rugby in the Southern Hemisphere in 2020. Whilst NZ has effectively eradicated covid-19, as have several states in Australia, the situation in Victoria and to a lesser extent NSW is worrying. If the All Blacks and Wallabies were to schedule Bledisloe Cup tests, then one team will have to go travel and go into a two week quarantine, and do another two weeks quarantine upon returning home. That's not ideal preparation for test match rugby.

As for the Rugby Championship, I think we can all concede that won't happen in 2020, and may never happen again. The numbers coming out of Argentina are terrible, with over a quarter of million confirmed infections and over a hundred daily deaths. And I cannot see how South African would be given permission to enter either NZ or Australia country anytime soon without significant restrictions and quarantine.

So what are the chances of test match rugby in the SH in 2020? At best we will get a Bledisloe Cup series, but sadly I'm no longer hopeful of that happening. Bring on the North island vs South Island clash followed by a full-strength Mitre 10 Cup!
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwias

Re: Will there be any SH test rugby in 2020?

Post by Kiwias »

I've actually given up on seeing any SH tests this year and I can't see the ABs -- or any other SH team -- touring the UK in November.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote:I've actually given up on seeing any SH tests this year and I can't see the ABs -- or any other SH team -- touring the UK in November.
What I find intriguing is the Home Nations and France/Italy have scheduled a huge Autumn series, yet their Covid-19 numbers are much worse than NZ or Australia's. They've either got much more relaxed rules then we do, or they have decided to risk the lives of players for the sake of some TV revenue?
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Bledisloe is the most likely option IMO
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jambanja wrote:Bledisloe is the most likely option IMO
It's the four weeks of quarantine (2 lots x 2 weeks) that will potentially kill that. That's a heck of a long time in hotel quarantine, away from family and friends. They won't even be able to train during that time.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Kiwias wrote:I've actually given up on seeing any SH tests this year and I can't see the ABs -- or any other SH team -- touring the UK in November.
What I find intriguing is the Home Nations and France/Italy have scheduled a huge Autumn series, yet their Covid-19 numbers are much worse than NZ or Australia's. They've either got much more relaxed rules then we do, or they have decided to risk the lives of players for the sake of some TV revenue?
And Japan, with a very patchy and worsening record on covid-19, is talking of touring the UK in November.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
And Japan, with a very patchy and worsening record on covid-19, is talking of touring the UK in November.
I know. It all sounds mental to me. It's almost as if these unions are pretending that this covid-19 nonsense never happened.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I think the lure of some money will mean that they’ll try to have some kind of Bledisloe.

Even if it means chartering a plane.

The Kiwis are ‘clean’ so they could probably avoid quarantine on this leg. Our boys would then just need two weeks there.

I think it’s do-able.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote:I think the lure of some money will mean that they’ll try to have some kind of Bledisloe.

The Kiwis are ‘clean’ so they could probably avoid quarantine on this leg. Our boys would then just need two weeks there.

I think it’s do-able.
It's do-able, but there are some serious logistics to work out. And if the shameful way the TT has been negotiated is anything to go by, I'm not confident that NZR and RA have the nous and wherewithal to co-ordinate this.

I think test match Rugby needs a live audience, and so I'd propose that it's held in NZ where there are no social distancing requirements at venues. I think a three test series would be best, 2 x tests at Eden park and one test in Wellington, played at 9pm NZT on a Saturday night to maxmise Australian TV audiences. The unions can split the costs to run the series and split any profits made from the ticket sales. Sounds fairly simply on paper but with both unions acting like scored school girls, I'm not confident that they'll be able to organise anything.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote:
jambanja wrote:Bledisloe is the most likely option IMO
It's the four weeks of quarantine (2 lots x 2 weeks) that will potentially kill that. That's a heck of a long time in hotel quarantine, away from family and friends. They won't even be able to train during that time.
I guess it depends on the desire to play some test rugby, I think they could work around the training aspect, bus from quarantine, train bus back to quarantine, no interaction outside their bubbles, but agree 4 week’s isolation is a tough ask, unless of course they make it a three match series in one country, I get that it puts one team at a serious disadvantage but again it depends on the desire to play a test series
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

As an aside, Samoa and Tonga have remained covid-19 free. They have never had any covid-19 infections. Why not invite teams from the Islands, which could be complemented with NZ or Australian based eligible players, to play some tests? Sure the scorelines may be lopsided, but it's about seeing some test rugby at this point. From both a health and sporting point of view, it makes sense to consider playing the PI's.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:As an aside, Samoa and Tonga have remained covid-19 free. They have never had any covid-19 infections. Why not invite teams from the Islands, which could be complemented with NZ or Australian based eligible players, to play some tests? Sure the scorelines may be lopsided, but it's about seeing some test rugby at this point. From both a health and sporting point of view, it makes sense to consider playing the PI's.
I support this, have always supported playing the islands more, there and here. Would be great to farm the games out to the provinces too (though this thinking was pre-COVID-19).
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

The Bledisloe Test will be renamed The Covid Test in tribute
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:As an aside, Samoa and Tonga have remained covid-19 free. They have never had any covid-19 infections. Why not invite teams from the Islands, which could be complemented with NZ or Australian based eligible players, to play some tests? Sure the scorelines may be lopsided, but it's about seeing some test rugby at this point. From both a health and sporting point of view, it makes sense to consider playing the PI's.
I support this, have always supported playing the islands more, there and here. Would be great to farm the games out to the provinces too (though this thinking was pre-COVID-19).
If the PI's are ignored this year then it's clear that we don't play them because we won't like them. Not because it's not financially viable, or because of scheduling issues, but because we don't like them as unions.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
If the PI's are ignored this year then it's clear that we don't play them because we won't like them. Not because it's not financially viable, or because of scheduling issues, but because we don't like them as unions.
Biggest problem is that none of the players live in the islands. You'd have to select players in NZ and Aust which could happen but only if those players are willing to forgo NZ/Aust eligibility. Then you'd have to select below SR level, which would really be a mis match.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

CrazyIslander wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Biggest problem is that none of the players live in the islands. You'd have to select players in NZ and Aust which could happen but only if those players are willing to forgo NZ/Aust eligibility. Then you'd have to select below SR level, which would really be a mis match.
There are players in the islands. Samoa's local comp is being played. I have already conceded it would be a mismatch, but at this point it's about scheduling test matches, not demanding even contests.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Ali's Choice wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
There are players in the islands. Samoa's local comp is being played. I have already conceded it would be a mismatch, but at this point it's about scheduling test matches, not demanding even contests.
It's a nice sentiment, but would that not be like a Mitre 10 Cup team playing the ABs? Not just a mismatch but an embarrassment.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

I think some of the reasoning the NH think they can organise int'l matches is because a) no crowds at the matches, and b) the players are expected to live in self contained bubbles.

Ultimately to get back to normality, you must take a first step outside. I sometimes think NZ will never get back because they raise the bar too high to take that first step.

What conditions do the boredies think should exist before an int'l is allowed to be played in NZ, or elsewhere in the SH?
naki

Post by naki »

Don't need it. The Canes just posted their biggest crowd of the year last night, against the cellar dwelling *spit* Chiefs, the Saders are sold out today, Eden Park has already sold 40k tickets for next weekends non-final and it's been the most well attended 'club' rugby home ground in the entire world since forever. The people have spoken.

Keep playing SR Aotearoa every weekend, to infinity and beyond, and just keep replacing the horrifically battered players with Mitre 10 rugby stock. Huzzah.
naki

Post by naki »

Leinster in London wrote:I think some of the reasoning the NH think they can organise int'l matches is because a) no crowds at the matches, and b) the players are expected to live in self contained bubbles.

Ultimately to get back to normality, you must take a first step outside. I sometimes think NZ will never get back because they raise the bar too high to take that first step.

What conditions do the boredies think should exist before an int'l is allowed to be played in NZ, or elsewhere in the SH?
The only requirement for international rugby in NZ is the quarantining of squads* after arrival, which is going to be onerous for the players and all involved. Once done they can travel freely, but that's if we don't get hit with a second wave which - having seen what happened in Victoria - not outside the realms of possibility.

*no need for international referees. Kiwi refs can handle all the games and can be trusted to be strictly impartial and uber-competent
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Leinster in London wrote:I think some of the reasoning the NH think they can organise int'l matches is because a) no crowds at the matches, and b) the players are expected to live in self contained bubbles.

This is a silly post. NZR are currently playing Rugby matches in front of crowds of 40,000. I'd argue that they have taken the first steps to play Rugby. The issue for test rugby is the two week quarantine rule for overseas arrivals, which has helped to eradicate covid-19 in NZ. You're essentially asking when the NZ govt will scrap that quarantine rule, which I don't think will happen for a very long time.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Ali's Choice wrote:

This is a silly post. NZR are currently playing Rugby matches in front of crowds of 40,000. I'd argue that they have taken the first steps to play Rugby. The issue for test rugby is the two week quarantine rule for overseas arrivals, which has helped to eradicate covid-19 in NZ. You're essentially asking when the NZ govt will scrap that quarantine rule, which I don't think will happen for a very long time.
What are the rules for NZ returning from AU, ZA.....?

I actually asked what is required to make it happen, and by happening, l am of course referring to the international game. Your nothing domestic league has no relevence.

You could have said things like having a lower r, or reducing deaths to a rate like one a month. No, you just prefer snidey remarks.

BTW, hows your unemployment rate doing?
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

shanky wrote:I think the lure of some money will mean that they’ll try to have some kind of Bledisloe.

I think it’s do-able.

Australia would need to travel to NZ, quarantine then stay and play it all there, logistically easier and no risk of southerners bringing the plague north. Don’t know how that impacts revenue but surely no games are going to be played in NSW and VIC is out of the question.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Ali's Choice wrote:They won't even be able to train during that time.
Probably could...
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

naki wrote:Don't need it. The Canes just posted their biggest crowd of the year last night, against the cellar dwelling *spit* Chiefs, the Saders are sold out today, Eden Park has already sold 40k tickets for next weekends non-final and it's been the most well attended 'club' rugby home ground in the entire world since forever. The people have spoken.

Keep playing SR Aotearoa every weekend, to infinity and beyond, and just keep replacing the horrifically battered players with Mitre 10 rugby stock. Huzzah.
:lol:

Your views intrigue me, can I subscribe to your newsletter?
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Government would see some leeway. I imagine quarantine in locations capable of housing a rugby tour entourage with training facilities. No chance on the 2 week quarantine though which will rule out most international rugby given short windows.

NZ rugby still has a heap of scope for internal games. Were about to have a bumper All Black laden NPC campaign in a couple months.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Leinster in London wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

What are the rules for NZ returning from AU, ZA.....?

I actually asked what is required to make it happen, and by happening, l am of course referring to the international game. Your nothing domestic league has no relevence.

You could have said things like having a lower r, or reducing deaths to a rate like one a month. No, you just prefer snidey remarks.

How's your plague ridden, hell-hole of a country going?
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Leinster in London wrote:

4% - hows yours?

Smart ass
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Ali's Choice wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
You want amateur playing the ABs? ABs might reach 200 points
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I think the RC will happen in the Autumn. The players/staff will have to isolate before and after travelling but I think there is too much money at stake for it not too happen.

I know the rates are high in South African and Argentina, but the players will be the countries elite for top earners and will therefore have the facilities to shield them from the worst.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mdaclarke wrote:I think the RC will happen in the Autumn. The players/staff will have to isolate before and after travelling but I think there is too much money at stake for it not too happen.

I know the rates are high in South African and Argentina, but the players will be the countries elite for top earners and will therefore have the facilities to shield them from the worst.
Autumn? It's winter now. Are you talking about next year?
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

What happened to the talk of hosting the rugby championship ina hub - is that off the cards now that the hub is unlikely to be Australia?

On terms if training during quarantine, they could do similar to the warriors, we just need to find 3 hotels with fields and gyms,,,
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Monkey Magic wrote:What happened to the talk of hosting the rugby championship ina hub - is that off the cards now that the hub is unlikely to be Australia?

On terms if training during quarantine, they could do similar to the warriors, we just need to find 3 hotels with fields and gyms,,,
Australia is still an option. QLD is basically covid-19 free, as is WA. Both states could easily host a series. But the benefit of NZ is that they don't have social distancing laws in place. Full stadiums would mean a better product.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I'm not convinced we need an RC this year. I was all for it to get international rugby on the board, but hosting the entire thing in one country is just a huge asterisk.

Asking the Argies and Saffers to head over here and stay for maybe 7 weeks all up? I don't see it being a fair fight in all that.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Monkey Magic wrote:What happened to the talk of hosting the rugby championship ina hub - is that off the cards now that the hub is unlikely to be Australia?

Australia is still an option. QLD is basically covid-19 free, as is WA. Both states could easily host a series. But the benefit of NZ is that they don't have social distancing laws in place. Full stadiums would mean a better product.
I agree it would be outstanding to have full stadiums.

In terms of the quarantine I did hear that the guy running the tennis ASB classic in Auckland was trying to work through having athletes quarantine once in nz, then get to go through to Australia without a quarantine.

This is for the start of next year so a lot can happen before then, but is that kind if thing likely to be possible from an Au perspective? Or would it just be a shitstorm no politician would contemplate unless they had already said anyone through NZ was OK to not quarantine
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Ali's Choice wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:I think the RC will happen in the Autumn. The players/staff will have to isolate before and after travelling but I think there is too much money at stake for it not too happen.

Autumn? It's winter now. Are you talking about next year?
Sorry I'm in the NH, I mean your spring
EDIT the boks had a 19 week adventure for their world cup, first to arrive and last to leave so they have form for making long term tours work.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

I am still hopeful there will be a Bledisloe in November. Hoping Victoria has the virus under control by then and it hasn't flared up in other states.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

I believe New Zealand as the only Covid-free nation in this equation was quite happy to host the entire RC here but apparently that's too hard for other nations. Perhaps they are jealous NZ is Covid-free, I don't know.

Anyway, International Rugby is the loser.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

One thing we do know is that it won't be a rugby decision.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I think it would be better to can the RC. Invite the Saffers out for a 3 test series tour.