North/South: Who are the contenders? Add? Subtract?

All things Rugby
Peteray

North/South: Who are the contenders? Add? Subtract?

Post by Peteray »

Now the SRA is all over, who are contenders for the North/South clash My XV's in bold?
North
15, B Barrett, D McKenzie
14, Telea, Reece,
13, R Ioane, Umaga-Jensen, Leinert-Brown
12, Leinert-Brown, Faiane
11, Clarke, Reece
10, B Barrett, Black, McKenzie
9, Perenara, Christie, Tahuriorangi, Booth
8, A Savea, A Ioane, Sotutu, Mikaele-Tu'u
7, Cane, Papaili, Kirifi, A Savea, Boshier
6, Boshier, Jacobsen
5, Whetton, Scrafton, Cowley-Tuioti, Tuipolotu, Fifita
4, Whetton, Scrafton, Cowley-Tuioti, Tuipolotu, Fifita
3, Tu'ungafasi, Laulala
2, Coles, Aumua, Slater
1, Tuinukuafe, Johnstone, Ta'avao
South:
15, J Barrett, Jordan, M Hunt
14, Bridge,
13, Ennor, Collins
12, Goodhue
11, Jordan, McKay
10, Mounga, J Ioane, M Hunt
9, Smith, Weber, Drummond
8, Evans,
7, D Hunt, Christie
6, Frizzell
5, Parkinson, Whitelock, Selby-Rickitt, Romano, Dunshea, Strange
4, Parkinson, Whitelock, Selby-Rickitt, Romano, Dunshea, Strange
3, Thwaites, Tokolahi (?)
2, Taylor, Dixon, Coltman
1, Lomax, Moody,
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: North/South: Who are the contenders? Add? Subtract?

Post by Enzedder »

1) The Cake Tin
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Squads up
NORTH SQUAD

Hookers: Asafo Aumua (Wellington), Ash Dixon (Hawke’s Bay) and Kurt Eklund (Auckland).

Props: Alex Fidow (Wellington), Ayden Johnstone (Waikato), Angus Ta’avao (Auckland), Karl Tu’inukuafe (North Harbour) and Ofa Tuungafasi (Auckland).

Locks: Scott Scrafton (Auckland), Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland and captain) and Tupou Vaa’i (Taranaki).

Loose forwards: Lachlan Boshier (Taranaki), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Dalton Papalii (Auckland), Ardie Savea (Wellington) and Hoskins Sotutu (Auckland).

Halfbacks: TJ Perenara (Wellington), Aaron Smith (Manawatu) and Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (Taranaki).

First five-eighths: Beauden Barrett (Taranaki).

Midfielders: Rieko Ioane (Auckland), Anton Lienert-Brown (Waikato) and Peter Umaga-Jensen (Wellington).

Outside backs: Caleb Clarke (Auckland), Mitchell Hunt (Auckland), Damian McKenzie (Waikato), Sevu Reece (Waikato) and Mark Telea (North Harbour).

SOUTH SQUAD

Hookers: Liam Coltman (Otago), Andrew Makalio (Tasman) and Codie Taylor (Canterbury).

Props: George Bower (Otago), Alex Hodgman (Canterbury), Nepo Laulala (Canterbury), Tyrel Lomax (Tasman) and Joe Moody (Canterbury).

Locks: Mitchell Dunshea (Canterbury), Manaaki Selby-Rickit (Southland) and Samuel Whitelock (Canterbury and captain).

Loose forwards: Tom Christie (Canterbury), Shannon Frizell (Tasman), Dillon Hunt (Otago), Reed Prinsep (Canterbury) and Tom Sanders (Canterbury).

Halfbacks: Finlay Christie (Tasman), Mitchell Drummond (Canterbury) and Brad Weber (Otago).

First five-eighths: Josh Ioane (Otago) and Richie Mo’unga (Canterbury).

Midfielders: Braydon Ennor (Canterbury), Leicester Faingaanuku (Tasman), Jack Goodhue (Canterbury) and Sio Tomkinson (Otago)

Outside backs: Jordie Barrett (Canterbury), George Bridge (Canterbury) and Will Jordan (Tasman).
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

How the hell did Tahuriorangi get into the North team when he couldn't even make the bench for the last-placed Chiefs?
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Auckman wrote:How the hell did Tahuriorangi get into the North team when he couldn't even make the bench for the last-placed Chiefs?
Maybe why the Chiefs were last placed, Gatlands selections, though I would have Booth and Hall ahead of him.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Dan54. wrote:
Auckman wrote:How the hell did Tahuriorangi get into the North team when he couldn't even make the bench for the last-placed Chiefs?
Maybe why the Chiefs were last placed, Gatlands selections, though I would have Booth and Hall ahead of him.
Weber had most of the game time at 9. Surely you cannot be quibbling about his place in the team?. Milo-Harris only really had bit-parts in the last 10mins in the matches he saw game time.
Couch

Post by Couch »

Welcome to the Foster era pal
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Couch wrote:
3P was unlucky, 3T lucky
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

When is the match?
Is it a 3 match series? Or just a single match.
Couch

Post by Couch »

kiwinoz wrote:
Couch wrote:
3P was unlucky, 3T lucky
3P injured

3T hardly broken a sweat
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Auckman wrote:
Dan54. wrote:
Weber had most of the game time at 9. Surely you cannot be quibbling about his place in the team?. Milo-Harris only really had bit-parts in the last 10mins in the matches he saw game time.
I agree Weber is well ahead of TTT, that is why he in South team.
Peteray

Post by Peteray »

Raising eyebrows: Fidow, TTT, Vai'i, Telea. Bower, Selby-Rickitt, Prinsep, Faingaanuku and Tomkinson?
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

Selby-Rickitt looks a good prospect to me big solid and has some coordination. He has been underused and had few opportunities at the Highlanders mainly I suspect because of the nasty off the field stuff. He could be another potentially controversial AB selection though given the dearth of locks in NZ apart from Whitelock and Tuipulotu. He seems like the kind of player the selectors might take a gamble ahead of the other solid journeyman locks in the sides believing the right coaching could improve his play significantly.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Dan54. wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Dan54. wrote:
I agree Weber is well ahead of TTT, that is why he in South team.
Yes indeed. 3T is just a major WTF selection for me.

Also thought Faiane was unlucky but understandable omission given McDonald preferred plummer halfway through but Faiane/Ioane really has promise as a combo.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Looks like 13 player that are Auckland based may end up missing out as the health minister says he's unlikely to grant travel exemptions for them

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12357738
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

jambanja wrote:Looks like 13 player that are Auckland based may end up missing out as the health minister says he's unlikely to grant travel exemptions for them

Difficult call for the government. You look like a wowser if you decline, you set a precedent if you approve.

It's all turning into a fizzer though - no Auckland / NH players, empty stands, meh. Great shame.
RandomNavigat0r

Post by RandomNavigat0r »

Fuc'k NZL is a shambles.

COVID looks like it has dominated their sanity.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
jambanja wrote:Looks like 13 player that are Auckland based may end up missing out as the health minister says he's unlikely to grant travel exemptions for them

Difficult call for the government. You look like a wowser if you decline, you set a precedent if you approve.

It's all turning into a fizzer though - no Auckland / NH players, empty stands, meh. Great shame.
It is a great shame and you're right, tough call, as the article suggests if the ministers can't travel because of cvid, then they're hardly going to let rugby players do it.
Given the great depth of players available to the selectors it could still go ahead just without pulling power of some of the stars
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

NZRU should just delay the match by a few weeks. It doesn't look like any test matches will be played later this year anyway.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

So its been postponed until Saturday the 5th September (one week) surely this means that NZR has some inside info from the government about levels being eased otherwise they would have shifted it to Wellington.
If NZ Rugby can’t stage the North versus South game on September 5 the fixture will be canned, potentially denying it a windfall of around $1 million.

NZ Rugby announced Friday the inter-island fixture, originally slated to be played at Eden Park in Auckland on August 29, had been postponed. The Government’s decision to place Auckland in alert level 3 lockdown following the recent outbreak of the virus in the city, and the rest of New Zealand in level 2, has forced NZ Rugby to scramble for a solution as it tries to launch a game that will rake in some much-needed money after the pandemic threw its international calendar into disarray.

NZ Rugby still hopes to play the match at Eden Park, which could reap about $1 million if the 43,000-capacity stadium is sold out, but acknowledges any decision will be determined by the alert levels.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I really doubt they have inside info. More wishful thinking.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Wilderbeast wrote:I really doubt they have inside info. More wishful thinking.
Possibly, either way it surely looks like Auckland will be L2 by Thursday.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

This game looks to be cursed. Regardless of what happens now it won't have a crowd if it even goes ahead at all.
The North v South game scheduled for September 5 remains in doubt after the government announced that Auckland will stay at Covid-19 alert 3 until Sunday night, while the rest of New Zealand will remain at alert level 2 until September 6.

New Zealand Rugby postponed the game last week after it was unable to get exemptions for 14 Auckland-based players in the North squad, as well as five support staff, to leave the city to prepare for a game that was originally scheduled for August 29. However, NZ Rugby didn’t receive the news it was looking for on Monday after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced the extension in alert levels for both Auckland and the rest of the country.

NZ Rugby will now have to apply again for exemptions for the players to leave Auckland to prepare for a game that will, at best, be played behind closed doors.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

I think it’s a bit of a weird one now - mix of A/B/C but I like that the game is happening as it does give guys a chance to shine and play e.g. Boshier.

Also good to be in camp with AB assistant coaches and the external coaches. It means we have a lot more players with ‘AB camp’ experience.

I don’t hold out much hold for international rugby this year and foresee a bit of change in the international teams (few new faces in the ABs, Aus will be quite different I think - all building for 2023).
grouch

Post by grouch »

These are indeed strange times.

The diehards have been calling for the re-introduction of this fixture for years.

It's on , albeit in a dead stadium but until the Mitre 10 cup kicks off this is all we've got BUT

on match day I had to locate this thread on page 3 and give it the kiss of life.

Prediction:

South by 2 tries or more , hopefully an early exposure of the folly of appointing Plumtree to anything other than coaching under-10's.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

grouch wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:56 am These are indeed strange times.

The diehards have been calling for the re-introduction of this fixture for years.

It's on , albeit in a dead stadium but until the Mitre 10 cup kicks off this is all we've got BUT

on match day I had to locate this thread on page 3 and give it the kiss of life.
The equivalent thread on NPR is 7 pages long. Come on over!
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:16 am

I've been too lazy to join (and I just assumed PR closing was an April fools stunt originally).
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:33 am

I've been too lazy to join (and I just assumed PR closing was an April fools stunt originally).
Whilst i still like PR, I have been posting more and more on NPR lately because it's a much easier/more enjoyable interface to use and it's slowly building up a critical mass of posters. Still a bit quiet for my liking but it's getting better.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:39 am
UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:33 am

Whilst i still like PR, I have been posting more and more on NPR lately because it's a much easier/more enjoyable interface to use and it's slowly building up a critical mass of posters. Still a bit quiet for my liking but it's getting better.
Ah well, I should get my lazy butt into gear, it can't be any quieter than this place is at various times these days.
Brumbieman

Post by Brumbieman »

Anyone got a stream for this one?
Tehuringa

Post by Tehuringa »

Brumbieman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:22 am Anyone got a stream for this one?
None seem to be working.... did you manage to find one?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

The fake crowd noise is a bit naff
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

SSSOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH.........nice finish......
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

Fantastic contest with superb skills shown by both sides.

Glad I signed up for weeks free subscription to Sky Sport Now streaming to get the live stream 2 minutes before the game started :lol:

The screen freeze that occurred early in the 2nd half will sufficient an excuse to cease membership early tomorrow morning :blush:
Dark

Post by Dark »

Does bring up the age old question.

Why does the South Island breed better specimens of pure manlihood than the North.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Dark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:09 pm Does bring up the age old question.

Why does the South Island breed better specimens of pure manlihood than the North.
Out of interest, what is the popn split between the two islands, and where are the majority of maoris?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

The papers in Wales were gushing over the North-South game, but they are so overly dramatic in trying to sell papers, that I don't always believe them. What was it like in reality? Anyone got a link for the whole 80? Cheers.
Mr Fedora

Post by Mr Fedora »

NZ population: c. 5mill. South Island pop c. 750k. There’s a helluva lot of unpopulated territory down south.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Mr Fedora wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:03 pm NZ population: c. 5mill. South Island pop c. 750k. There’s a helluva lot of unpopulated territory down south.
750K looks light, sure it was around that when the total population was less than 4MM.