Scott Robertson: I want to coach the Lions

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: Scott Robertson: I want to coach the Lions

Post by eldanielfire »

Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Warren Gatland may have been the best coach in 'easy rugby'. But he's just coached the Chiefs to a winless season in Super Rugby Aotearoa. They were genuinely pathetic, and an embarrasment to their fans and region. Robertson's team just happened to win that comp. Warran Gatland will be learning from Scott Robertson, not the other way around.
Lions-NZ series tied. Go fcuk yourself with that stat.
A drawn series. Big deal, that was the best players from four tier 1 countries against one. The Lions should never lose a test match given the talent at their disposal, and the fact that you're boasting about a draw is as pathetic as Gatland's coaching in Super rugby Aotearoa.
I thought you knew about rugby coaching? Since when is rugby "put together some good players and they'll win everything". Rugby requires combinations, understanding, communication and time together to succeed. The Lions is always a Scratch team being made on the fly vs the smooth time and tested national side of the most relentless rugby machine in modern rugby.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Adrianmole wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Warren Gatland may have been the best coach in 'easy rugby'. But he's just coached the Chiefs to a winless season in Super Rugby Aotearoa. They were genuinely pathetic, and an embarrasment to their fans and region. Robertson's team just happened to win that comp. Warran Gatland will be learning from Scott Robertson, not the other way around.
A drawn series. Big deal, that was the best players from four tier 1 countries against one. The Lions should never lose a test match given the talent at their disposal, and the fact that you're boasting about a draw is as pathetic as Gatland's coaching in Super rugby Aotearoa.

The draw was the result of a choke by the Ref in the final test, plus SBW's thick as pig shit shoulder charge in the second test. The drawn series flattered the B&IL's .

Gats was found out this year when he made an ordinary Chiefs squad less than effective against quality opposition.
Look there's probably a few tests that have gone our way as well but regardless I have a little spew anytime a French ref is assigned to an All Blacks game.

Truth is they are dreadful. It's more than just the language barrier, they just have no feel for a free flowing game. It just ends up being a dumpster fire more often than not.

I'd rather get a Pom.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

eldanielfire wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
I thought you knew about rugby coaching? Since when is rugby "put together some good players and they'll win everything". Rugby requires combinations, understanding, communication and time together to succeed. The Lions is always a Scratch team being made on the fly vs the smooth time and tested national side of the most relentless rugby machine in modern rugby.

Not really. All national teams are scratch teams put together on the fly.

The Lions have the option of choosing combinations that have played together at the highest levels. The Lions were facing test debutants in the All Blacks team, nobody in the Lions squad had fewer than 8 test caps.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

As a kiwi, this thread has gotten pretty embarrassing.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Sonny Blount wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Not really. All national teams are scratch teams put together on the fly.
That really isn't true. A change or two to an established side does not make it a scratch team :lol:

The Lions have the option of choosing combinations that have played together at the highest levels. The Lions were facing test debutants in the All Blacks team, nobody in the Lions squad had fewer than 8 test caps.
That's not going to happen much in the Lions is it? That's kinda the point.
Southernscot

Post by Southernscot »

Lions-NZ series tied. Go fcuk yourself with that stat.[/quote]

A drawn series. Big deal, that was the best players from four tier 1 countries against one. The Lions should never lose a test match given the talent at their disposal, and the fact that you're boasting about a draw is as pathetic as Gatland's coaching in Super rugby Aotearoa.[/quote]

I thought you knew about rugby coaching? Since when is rugby "put together some good players and they'll win everything". Rugby requires combinations, understanding, communication and time together to succeed. The Lions is always a Scratch team being made on the fly vs the smooth time and tested national side of the most relentless rugby machine in modern rugby.[/quote]

Not really. All national teams are scratch teams put together on the fly.[/quote]

That really isn't true. A change or two to an established side does not make it a scratch team :lol:

That's not going to happen much in the Lions is it? That's kinda the point.[/quote]

I don’t know about that, the Gatland and Woodward teams featured significant numbers of ‘tried and tested’ combinations..
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Southernscot wrote: I don’t know about that, the Gatland and Woodward teams featured significant numbers of ‘tried and tested’ combinations..
Last Lions tour had the really established starting half back Irish-English Murray-Farrell axis, the centre pairing of English-Welsh Te'o and Davies, Welsh-English locks, etc.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

eldanielfire wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
geez, AC is of course just using a bit bait to hook you, surprising he did it so easily, of course he knows how much time teams need together, or should do, otherwise we wouldn't need camps etc, which the Lions miss out on. Lions used to have a big advantage in amateur days, when home test teams could only assemble 3 days before tests, but not these days, takes a certain kind of coach to take them these days I think. I couldn't see an Eddie Jones type being good for them as an example.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Wilderbeast wrote:As a kiwi, this thread has gotten pretty embarrassing.
So was the draw - :(
FairWeather_Aussie

Post by FairWeather_Aussie »

LandOTurk wrote:
That stat is very misleading. In the record books it will go down as a drawn series. But the reality was quite different. They played one blinder, in the third test, and hung on for a draw. But were outplayed in the other two games. In the first game they were beaten fairly easily. In the second test they played most of the game with a 15-14 man advantage. To put that in context, the Wallabies beat the AB’s by 19 points, instead of losing by the usual 14+ points, because of a second half with a one man advantage. The Lions, with the same, but for most of the match, the match being already over as soon as the red card came out, still barely managed to win.

Without the red card, the series would have been 2-0 with a plucky draw in the dead rubber.

That said, Gatland is a quality coach, and in the longer term I think the Chiefs will improve.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote:That said, Gatland is a quality coach, and in the longer term I think the Chiefs will improve.
They can only improve from a win-less season. 0-8 in Super Rugby Aotearoa is a disgraceful coaching performance. Most Rugby coaches would get sacked after going win-less for an entire comp.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Sad truth is he simply couldn’t cut it .