Scott Robertson: I want to coach the Lions

All things Rugby
MrDominator

Scott Robertson: I want to coach the Lions

Post by MrDominator »

Sounds like a wise guy. No Kiwi coach in the professional era has won an RWC without first learning his trade in the northern hemisphere.
Scott Robertson has revealed that he approached Warren Gatland about joining him on the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa next year.

“Once I missed the All Blacks job I actually reached out to Gats and asked him if I could go on that tour,” he said. “I thought, look if I can’t be involved with the All Blacks, what’s the biggest thing – or actually bigger in its own self the Lions tour – to get involved.

“I said ‘look, I would love to help you if I can’.”

Robertson, who led the Crusaders to their fourth straight Super Rugby title this year, said his request has been taken to Lions management.

“I’m waiting. We’ll see what happens,” he said. “Obviously there’s a lot to work out with Covid and the British and Irish Lions tour. But we had a couple good conversations since and he’s got to go through his line of management to make a decision.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/scott-ro ... ions-tour/
Akkerman

Re: Scott Robertson: I want to coach the Lions

Post by Akkerman »

so he's gonna be the token Scot this time
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Scott Robertson gets international experience

Lions thrash SA

Crusaders lose the best coach in super rugby for the year.

Win/win/win
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

That would be fantastic for the Lions. We have seen from Gatland’s results with the Chiefs that his time in the North has detracted from his coaching ability. A fresh voice untainted by Northern exposure is likely exactly what the Lions need.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

JB1981 wrote:That would be fantastic for the Lions. We have seen from Gatland’s results with the Chiefs that his time in the North has detracted from his coaching ability. A fresh voice untainted by Northern exposure is likely exactly what the Lions need.
Given that the Lions drew the series with the mighty ABs, one could argue its his time in NZ that has seen his coaching diminish.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Send Gatland back to the NPC to coach Waikato and send Robertson to the overseas Lions. :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Unfortunately even if Robertson does go on the Lions tour and enjoy great success there is no guarantee he will be the next All Blacks coach.

As recent years have demonstrated, the most assured pathway to the top job is to spend several years as an All Blacks assistant coach of questionable quality.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

jdogscoop wrote:Unfortunately even if Robertson does go on the Lions tour and enjoy great success there is no guarantee he will be the next All Blacks coach.

As recent years have demonstrated, the most assured pathway to the top job is to spend several years as an All Blacks assistant coach of questionable quality.
Slovenly All Blacks assistant coach of questionable quality, don’t play it down.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I’d like to see this happen... I’m not sure how Razor’s unconventional ways might sit with method driven Gatland and that would be worth the price of the ticket alone but I’d like to see Razor do well and shame NZR through sheer performance.

The only drawback I see here is that from what I can gather Razor’s success comes through creating a culture and commitment to that from his players and I’m not sure a Lions’ tour would provide the time and space to capitalise on that, not to mention the lazy self indulgent habits we see from overly parochial UK players. His technical and tactical abilities would be a boost for any team. Being an assistant would be an interesting shift for him.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Do we want Gats infecting Razor? Sheesh, it's only been a week and everyone has forgotten the Chiefs season.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

guy smiley wrote:I’d like to see this happen... I’m not sure how Razor’s unconventional ways might sit with method driven Gatland and that would be worth the price of the ticket alone.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

jdogscoop wrote:Unfortunately even if Robertson does go on the Lions tour and enjoy great success there is no guarantee he will be the next All Blacks coach.

Dunno hasn't Gatland been one of most successful Lion coaches, so he should now be coaching ABs? :lol: :lol:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Forget about Gatland or Robertson, recent years have demonstrated that Mooar, Feek or Plumtree are your three favourites for next head coach of the All Blacks.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

MrDominator wrote:Sounds like a wise guy. No Kiwi coach in the professional era has won an RWC without first learning his trade in the northern hemisphere.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/scott-ro ... ions-tour/

When was South Africa moved north of the equator?
BillW

Post by BillW »

UncleFB wrote:Do we want Gats infecting Razor? Sheesh, it's only been a week and everyone has forgotten the Chiefs season.
Gats needs Razor more than Razor needs Gats.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

BillW wrote:
UncleFB wrote:Do we want Gats infecting Razor? Sheesh, it's only been a week and everyone has forgotten the Chiefs season.
Gats needs Razor more than Razor needs Gats.
Not when it comes to coaching the lions. That’s no ordinary coaching job.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

Coaching wise he would be a good addition. Not sure of the mix between Warrenball and he free flowing total rugby philosophy of Robertson though.

Could be a bit like Grizz and Hart.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Could be a good move for Razor. He is so used to winning that a reality check could be good for him in the long run.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Razor, he’s different. I mean who else would come up with this idea?
rialtoblue

Post by rialtoblue »

trapper wrote:Razor, he’s different. I mean who else would come up with this idea?
Very self assured persona. During lockdown Leinster and Crusaders reached agreement to prepare an attack plan against each other to present as if they were scheduled to play off. Would love to have seen how they both approached each other

Edit: https://www.the42.ie/leinster-crusaders ... 3-Aug2020/
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Akkerman wrote:so he's gonna be the token Scot this time
:lol:

In truth I'd love to see Robertson in the Lions set-up. He can learn off one of the masters about test tournament preparation. If I was Gatland I'd certainly add him and see what one of the great young innovative coaches are doing. It would also be good for the All Blacks to see their potential future coaches learn off each other in a test environment.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

guy smiley wrote:I’d like to see this happen... I’m not sure how Razor’s unconventional ways might sit with method driven Gatland and that would be worth the price of the ticket alone but I’d like to see Razor do well and shame NZR through sheer performance.
I wouldn't call Gatland method driven at all. He's the classic he'll drive his coaches to put in the best agreed method best on the available players sort of coach and move the players in to work it.
The only drawback I see here is that from what I can gather Razor’s success comes through creating a culture and commitment to that from his players and I’m not sure a Lions’ tour would provide the time and space to capitalise on that, not to mention the lazy self indulgent habits we see from overly parochial UK players. His technical and tactical abilities would be a boost for any team. Being an assistant would be an interesting shift for him.
This is where Gatland's man management comes in. He knows the NH coaches and many of the players he'll select. Gatland is excellent at meeting the needs of the players, both professional and personally so they are happy and can focus on the rugby.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Realistically, I can't see it happening.

Lions coaching spots are guarded jealously by the Home Unions. I believe Shaun Edwards missed out in '13 because the RFU insisted that Gatland take Andy Farrell instead.

I can't see any of the Home Unions allowing Gatland to take a 'foreign' coach, who'll probably learn more about the Lions players than he'll impart to them in knowledge, ahead of one of their own.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

I would pay good money to see Eddie Jones go as attack coach.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

Maybe his relentless positivity would rub off on that whinging prick Gatland
Or the opposite could happen and Robertson will chuck it all in for a professional break dancing career.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Warren Gatland may have been the best coach in 'easy rugby'. But he's just coached the Chiefs to a winless season in Super Rugby Aotearoa. They were genuinely pathetic, and an embarrasment to their fans and region. Robertson's team just happened to win that comp. Warran Gatland will be learning from Scott Robertson, not the other way around.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Ali's Choice wrote:Warren Gatland may have been the best coach in 'easy rugby'. But he's just coached the Chiefs to a winless season in Super Rugby Aotearoa. They were genuinely pathetic, and an embarrasment to their fans and region. Robertson's team just happened to win that comp. Warran Gatland will be learning from Scott Robertson, not the other way around.
Lions-NZ series tied. Go fcuk yourself with that stat.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

You’ve hit a nerve there AC.

Here’s another statistic:

Lions series vs. NZ = 12
All Black series victories = 10
Lions series victories = 1
Series drawn = 1.

I guess sharing a series is cause for pluckiness when you look at that.
Last edited by JB1981 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

How cute. A victory lap after a draw.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

LandOTurk wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:Warren Gatland may have been the best coach in 'easy rugby'. But he's just coached the Chiefs to a winless season in Super Rugby Aotearoa. They were genuinely pathetic, and an embarrasment to their fans and region. Robertson's team just happened to win that comp. Warran Gatland will be learning from Scott Robertson, not the other way around.
A drawn series. Big deal, that was the best players from four tier 1 countries against one. The Lions should never lose a test match given the talent at their disposal, and the fact that you're boasting about a draw is as pathetic as Gatland's coaching in Super rugby Aotearoa.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

guy smiley wrote:How cute. A victory lap after a draw.
It was their (the power of four whole nations*) second best result vs NZ ever.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Only the Lions fans would be happy let alone proud of a drawn series ffs .

We however were disgusted at the depths of our underachievement .

A miserable result .
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

deadduck wrote:Maybe his relentless positivity would rub off on that whinging prick Gatland
Or the opposite could happen and Robertson will chuck it all in for a professional break dancing career.

:nod:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Eugenius wrote:Only the Lions fans would be happy let alone proud of a drawn series ffs .

We however were disgusted at the depths of our underachievement .

A miserable result .

Horseshit. It was a great result for the game at large and the Lions concept. Seeing the way the spirits of impoverished fans like Landofturk have been lifted with a glimpse of what can be is a small price to pay Eug. Allowing them a chance to celebrate a resounding draw is what the rugby fraternity can be all about, offering a hand up to the smaller nations, the lower tiers, the unburnished. Mere crumbs from the buffet of excellence take nothing away from the feast.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Give them nothing is my heartfelt belief , the poor are poor because they deserve it .

Generosity is a thing we simply can’t afford and it’s not like they’ll thank you for it anyway .
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Eugenius wrote:Give them nothing is my heartfelt belief , the poor are poor because they deserve it .

Generosity is a thing we simply can’t afford and it’s not like they’ll thank you for it anyway .
You’re NZ’s version of Grievous, aren’t you.
Southernscot

Post by Southernscot »

Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
:lol: A drawn series. Big deal, that was the best players from four tier 1 countries against one. The Lions should never lose a test match given the talent at their disposal, and the fact that you're boasting about a draw is as pathetic as Gatland's coaching in Super rugby Aotearoa.
The best players from 4 tier 1 countries :lol: :lol: - Gatland picked the team...
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

guy smiley wrote:
Eugenius wrote:Give them nothing is my heartfelt belief , the poor are poor because they deserve it .

You’re NZ’s version of Grievous, aren’t you.

Might is right !
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I think they will both learn plenty from each other, and be happy to do so.
Adrianmole

Post by Adrianmole »

Ali's Choice wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
A drawn series. Big deal, that was the best players from four tier 1 countries against one. The Lions should never lose a test match given the talent at their disposal, and the fact that you're boasting about a draw is as pathetic as Gatland's coaching in Super rugby Aotearoa.

The draw was the result of a choke by the Ref in the final test, plus SBW's thick as pig shit shoulder charge in the second test. The drawn series flattered the B&IL's .

Gats was found out this year when he made an ordinary Chiefs squad less than effective against quality opposition.