60%
Out
40%

Total votes: 415

SamShark

Re: OFFICIAL EU/UK referendum thread

Post by SamShark »

I would love to know if the PM, who I don't think is an ideologue, thinks:

- Brexit was voted for so it must be carried out and just try to make the best of it
- Brexit was voted for and that's good, as it's something we should do
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

DAC2016 wrote:It does make me laugh, anything, ANYTHING positive happening to the country is still given the spin treatment to make it negative.

For example, regaining control of our fishing waters.
Most of the boats were sold to spanish businesses, along with the rights to fish British waters.
That will not be going anywhere
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

SamShark wrote:I would love to know if the PM, who I don't think is an ideologue, thinks:

- Brexit was voted for so it must be carried out and just try to make the best of it
There's the other realistic one of:
- Brexit was voted for, I think it will be bad for the UK, but for the sake of holding onto the power I so desperately crave I'll have to go ahead with it.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Chuckles1188 wrote:The 2015 election was UKIP's most successful by a substantial margin - their previous record at a general election was under 1 million votes, last year they won close to 4 million. They also beat out the SNP and Liberal Democrats in the popular vote, but got 1/8th the number of seats the LDs did and 1/56th the number the Scots Nats did. The Tories didn't "see them off" through some canny bit of strategising, UKIP were flummoxed by an electoral system which massively advantages the two main parties in each nation. That's the clear implication of the "numbers I just posted numbers", whatever that is supposed to mean.
You are focusing on the amount of seats they won and not the effect they had on the election due to the system we have, you are arguing against a point I'm not trying to make. I can't argue with you that a quirk cost them seats but it's irrelevant. I'm suggesting you posted numbers and claimed them to be the whole argument, well I suppose they are your whole argument because you seem to be arguing the fairness of FPTP. When I'm arguing it's merit as a pressure valve on this occasion. I'm arguing that, quirks and all pushed the Tories in to move, a move that saved us from a gradual hard right turn. I'm suggesting that the alternatives bottle up and grow resentment, the resentment we are seing in Europe. If you don't think that UKIP forced the referendum, I'm lost for words.
Last edited by dr dre2 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

If you were to pick a large European economy that is the least suited to be outside the EU, it would be the UK. The U.K. in many respects is little more than a much bigger Ireland in terms of its economic profile and model. Its dependence on FDI based in access to the SM is frightening.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

wasnt PR rejected in a AV referendum 5 years ago, FPTP was kept

FPTP is sh1te and breeds crap politicians imo, but hey we had our chance
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

unseenwork wrote:
SamShark wrote:I would love to know if the PM, who I don't think is an ideologue, thinks:

- Brexit was voted for, I think it will be bad for the UK, but for the sake of holding onto the power I so desperately crave I'll have to go ahead with it.
Yes, sadly I guess that may be an option.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

First one I reckon.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

SamShark wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Or

Brexit was voted for, I think it will be bad for the UK in the short term which I feel we can mitigate, it does create other opportunities, but for the sake of democracy, I'll have to go ahead with it.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

SamShark wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

wtf is she expected to do, go with your thinking, and be damned to the referendum
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

fisgard792 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

wtf is she expected to do, go with your thinking, and be damned to the referendum
Well, y'know, she could do...
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

fisgard792 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Unless you are content with the 3rd option which would suit nobody surely, I was merely stating I'd like to get an insight into her mindset.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

unseenwork wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Well, y'know, she could do...
have you had to stop when the thinking part was required
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

SamShark wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:
SamShark wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Unless you are content with the 3rd option which would suit nobody surely, I was merely stating I'd like to get an insight into her mindset.
she didnt want the end result, she thought it was bad, sh1t happens, shes now got to work with a deck she didnt choose, whats the problem,

how many variations of i dont like the result so, is there going to be
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Her pre-referendum preference is irrelevant now.

I'm keen to know, now it's happened, and presumably she has access to every bit of information available to us, is she now happy to carry it out or does she think it's still a bad idea but is going ahead because the leave side won a referendum?
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

If anything it's admirable, she's doing the right thing, carrying out democracy at odds with her beliefs. I see it that way, I've never voted anything but Labour, I feared I may have to vote UKIP if the result was ignored but I'm absolutely satisfied with her actions, impressed by her and not only over Brexit. I will probably vote for her in the next GE. And I suspect, the majority feel the same given her approval ratings.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

dr dre2 wrote:

If anything it's admirable, she's doing the right thing, carrying out democracy at odds with her beliefs. I see it that way, I've never voted anything but Labour, I feared I may have to vote UKIP if the result was ignored but I'm absolutely satisfied with her actions, impressed by her and not only over Brexit. I will probably vote for her in the next GE. And I suspect, the majority feel the same given her approval ratings.
Your lousy attitude, is frankly embarrassing. We're facing a downward curve in our national finances, however everything is apparently rosy. Is it fuk! I'm no economist; by any stretch of the imagination, the maths does not add up. Clueless
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

Your lousy attitude, is frankly embarrassing. We're facing a downward curve in our national finances, however everything is apparently rosy. Is it fuk! I'm no economist; by any stretch of the imagination, the maths does not add up. Clueless
How's your sister?
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Looking for a better paid vocation D-driver

edit - she has 2 yrs guaranteed contract with the EC, so is looking (naturally) elsewhere.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

This UK was on its way. Don't know what happened after this era

https://youtu.be/1lyu1KKwC74
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

Hope you have your tin foil hat ready. It's going to be bumpy but not as bad as you think.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

TranceNRG wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

Hope you have your tin foil hat ready. It's going to be bumpy but not as bad as you think.
How much do you earn Trance? Are you beyond the reasonable reach of the deficit? I suspect, that with your rhetorical boasting you are smugly above the the UK average (so am I for what it's worth), however, your parochial short-sightednedness is appalling. You are, a selfish kunt.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

How much do you earn Trance? Are you beyond the reasonable reach of the deficit? I suspect, that with your rhetorical boasting you are smugly above the the UK average (so am I for what it's worth), however, your parochial short-sightednedness is appalling. You are, a selfish kunt.

You dramatic old queen.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

fisgard792 wrote:she didnt want the end result, she thought it was bad, sh1t happens, shes now got to work with a deck she didnt choose, whats the problem,

Could go on for 40 odd years lie the last time.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Not sure if already discussed on this thread but I was just reading a DM article savaging the admittedly not hugely popular Tony Blair for his comments that perhaps there should be a second referendum.

The current Govt, and many Brexit voters, are very much of the "get over it" persuasion, and people like me who wanted to remain are in the "do we have to?" camp.

I think there's still a debate to be had about how final any decision is, even if there has been a vote.

In the run up to referendums both sides of the argument like to say things like "once in a lifetime vote" but clearly don't mean it.

Take the Indyref - the SNP were keen to get another vote going pretty much hours after being told Scottish people wanted to remain. At the time, I was happy to think to myself "get over it, you lost" because I was content with the result.

It's quite a unique situation though.

At the last general election, despite having very little love for Ed Milliband's Labour party I was still quite surprised Cameron won a majority and was, I guess, disappointed.

But you know that there are 5 years for any Government to do it's thing and the people will decide again.

Things can change, or they may stay largely the same, but the question is always asked again.

For committed Brexiters, the question has to be asked; Are you against this question being posed again purely on principle because there was a vote and an outcome was expressed, or are you concerned that second time round the vote may be different?

If you are committed and utterly believe that leaving the EU is the right way forward then it follows that there should be a recognition that other people may be equally passionate about the alternative.

I am absolutely biased in saying this - there's no hiding that (but we all are) - but I can;t see how demanding any particular path is followed because on a day in June 2016, just over half of voters wanted something, that it has to be so for eternity.

People can say "sore loser", "get over it" etc, but that's not normally how politics and public life works. Things change, times change etc.
Last edited by SamShark on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Your lousy attitude, is frankly embarrassing. We're facing a downward curve in our national finances, however everything is apparently rosy. Is it fuk! I'm no economist; by any stretch of the imagination, the maths does not add up. Clueless[/quote]

Hope you have your tin foil hat ready. It's going to be bumpy but not as bad as you think.[/quote]

How much do you earn Trance? Are you beyond the reasonable reach of the deficit? I suspect, that with your rhetorical boasting you are smugly above the the UK average (so am I for what it's worth), however, your parochial short-sightednedness is appalling. You are, a selfish kunt.[/quote]

You dramatic old queen.[/quote]

Prove me wrong Princess
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

paddyor wrote:
fisgard792 wrote:she didnt want the end result, she thought it was bad, sh1t happens, shes now got to work with a deck she didnt choose, whats the problem,

Could go on for 40 odd years lie the last time.
Indeed. Strap in lads
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

I am not going to tell you how much I earn but yes considerably more than the average but I was slightly in favour of leaving even though it was going to affect me personally. I don't think I have been boasting about anything though. I have a house in West London and there predictions that economy and house prices were going to collapse after a vote to leave. Even though I didn't believe in these prophecies of doom I voted to leave knowing that there was going to be a short term economic hit because I believed it was the right thing for the UK so definitely not selfish. I think you'll find that majority of people voted to leave did so knowing that uncertainty would be bad for the economy in the short term. They were prepared to take a hit but I'm sure you know better. If anyone's been selfish it's the whinging vocal remainers who have been acting like morons since the referendum. And then you have morons in the EU like Juncker barking. It only reinforced my belief voting to leave was the right choice. I wouldn't have much made fuss about it had it been a vote to remain but you guys just can't accept that the majority voted to leave (highest participation in UK history as well).
Just because I don't believe in your sky is about to fall theories doesn't mean I'm short sighted or selfish. But carry on acting like a hysterical drama queen.
Last edited by TranceNRG on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

f anything it's admirable, she's doing the right thing, carrying out democracy at odds with her beliefs. I see it that way, I've never voted anything but Labour, I feared I may have to vote UKIP if the result was ignored but I'm absolutely satisfied with her actions, impressed by her and not only over Brexit. I will probably vote for her in the next GE. And I suspect, the majority feel the same given her approval ratings.[/quote]

Your lousy attitude, is frankly embarrassing. We're facing a downward curve in our national finances, however everything is apparently rosy. Is it fuk! I'm no economist; by any stretch of the imagination, the maths does not add up. Clueless[/quote]

Hope you have your tin foil hat ready. It's going to be bumpy but not as bad as you think.[/quote]

How much do you earn Trance? Are you beyond the reasonable reach of the deficit? I suspect, that with your rhetorical boasting you are smugly above the the UK average (so am I for what it's worth), however, your parochial short-sightednedness is appalling. You are, a selfish kunt.[/quote]

I am not going to tell you how much I earn but yes considerably more than the average but I was slightly in favour of leaving even though it was going to affect me personally. I don't think I have been boasting about anything though. I have a house in West London and there predictions that economy and house prices were going to collapse after a vote to leave. Even though I didn't believe in these prophecies of doom I voted to leave knowing that there was going to be a short term economic hit because I believed it was the right thing for the UK so definitely not selfish. I think you'll find that majority of people voted to leave did so knowing that uncertainty would be bad for the economy in the short term. They were prepared to take a hit but I'm sure you know better. If anyone's been selfish it's the whinging vocal remainers who have been acting like morons since the referendum. And then you have morons in the EU like Juncker barking. It only reinforced my belief voting to leave was the right choice.
Just because I don't believe in your sky is about to fall theories doesn't mean I'm short sighted or selfish.[/quote]

selfish kunt you are - that's a given
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

:lol: As if I give a shit what some hysterical drama queen on the internet thinks
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

SamShark wrote:For committed Brexiters, the question has to be asked; Are you against this question being posed again purely on principle because there was a vote and an outcome was expressed, or are you concerned that second time round the vote may be different?
I'm not a committed Brexiter but I have to ask - If the Remainers were to win a second referendum would the Brexiters get the chance for best of three?
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

TranceNRG wrote::lol: As if I give a shit what some hysterical drama queen on the internet thinks
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Gospel wrote:
SamShark wrote:For committed Brexiters, the question has to be asked; Are you against this question being posed again purely on principle because there was a vote and an outcome was expressed, or are you concerned that second time round the vote may be different?
I'm not a committed Brexiter but I have to ask - If the Remainers were to win a second referendum would the Brexiters get the chance for best of three?
It's ridiculous to even suggest a 2nd referendum. How many referendums are we going to have? There's always goign to be one camp not happy.

I fully agree the final deal should be put to the parliament and perhaps a referendum on which deal people want the government to enforce but to suggest anther EU referendum is just daft.
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

TranceNRG wrote::lol: As if I give a shit what some hysterical drama queen on the internet thinks
Doesn't that perfectly sum you up perfectly you ignorant wanker in one phrase for all you are you kunt? Yes
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Wyndham Upalot wrote:
Doesn't that perfectly sum you up perfectly you ignorant wanker in one phrase for all you are you kunt? Yes
:lol: Hysterical selfish drama queen
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

TranceNRG wrote:
Wyndham Upalot wrote:
:lol: Hysterical selfish drama queen
nil response waster ...
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Move along dickhead.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Gospel wrote:
Fair question.

Farage kind of said that if remain won that it wasn't the end of the argument.

It never is, why should it be, though of course it's harder to go "back" to the status quo.

All I'm saying is that why would anyone argue that there was once a decision and so we will keep going down that route no matter what.

What if the decision becomes less popular?

How do you know if it becomes less popular? Parliament scrutinising it or another referendum I guess, rather than "get over it, we can never discuss this again"
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

TranceNRG wrote:Move along dickhead.
adressed to who?
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

SamShark wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Fair question.

Farage kind of said that if remain won that it wasn't the end of the argument.

It never is, why should it be, though of course it's harder to go "back" to the status quo.

All I'm saying is that why would anyone argue that there was once a decision and so we will keep going down that route no matter what.

What if the decision becomes less popular?

How do you know if it becomes less popular? Parliament scrutinising it or another referendum I guess, rather than "get over it, we can never discuss this again"
You know there's no chance of another referendum happening. Theresa May has said that many times.