Haka Count

All things Rugby
Anonymous 1

Re: Haka Count

Post by Anonymous 1 »

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Afternoon Anon,

Haka banter aside, are you feeling confident about the Lions' chances against the Blues? I expect them to be fully recovered from their debilitating jet lag and cruise to a 25-30 point win.
I expect them to be a lot more cohesive than the other day.For the most part because of they will have had more time together. However I wouldn't go near the spread on that game. I did take the barbarians +32 after watching the first 7 or 8 minutes the other day.

The game against The Maori is the one. They will have had time to adjust to NZ and get used to the rugby over there and it will be the virtual test side. So whatever happens before that game that is the one.
Yep, but it would've helped if they'd managed to gain even a modicum of momentum from game one. Is there a phrase meaning the opposite of "to hit the ground running"?
Clearly it would have but they weren't good enough so they didn't. I don't believe they did anything wrong. The team they faced may have been weak in terms of what the kiwis could have put out but clearly relative to what we put out they were quite strong.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I must say the grass on the National Marae at Waitangi is immaculate. :thumbup:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

dr dre2 wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:It funny how none of those taking issue with haka take issue with equally tedious (at the very least) European based traditions.
Because they are rarely done and when they are it's in traditional context and/or settings not at the opening of an envelope.

New mark of plane in the fleet. IT'S HAKA TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkEiWwSrFI

There was no jig in Cardiff to welcome the first bendy bus.

Most of you are European in origin and it looks a little silly, especially when you want to show off drunk in Europe.
How dare you Europeans not behave like proper Europeans. :lol:
grubberkick

Post by grubberkick »

When did the haka first appear at a rugby game? Is it performed before all rugby games in NZ? Is it performed before all sporting events in NZ; tennis, bowling, soccer etc? Is it performed before all group meetings of any kind in NZ?
Maybe the questions have already been asked but I haven't seen any answers.
Grizz Wyllie

Post by Grizz Wyllie »

grubberkick wrote:When did the haka first appear at a rugby game? Is it performed before all rugby games in NZ? Is it performed before all sporting events in NZ; tennis, bowling, soccer etc? Is it performed before all group meetings of any kind in NZ?

www.google.com
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Regardless, opposition teams should be allowed to face it as they see fit e.g. Waltzing Matilda
grubberkick

Post by grubberkick »

Grizz Wyllie wrote:
grubberkick wrote:When did the haka first appear at a rugby game? Is it performed before all rugby games in NZ? Is it performed before all sporting events in NZ; tennis, bowling, soccer etc? Is it performed before all group meetings of any kind in NZ?

http://www.google.com
Wow, all lifetime events and funerals. Didn't know that.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

sorCrer wrote:Regardless, opposition teams should be allowed to face it as they see fit e.g. Waltzing Matilda
The Australians play like Waltzing Matilda these days
irishjonny

Post by irishjonny »

Hey Fat Old Git.

Is shaking hands your example? Ok.

Do you observe Maori traditions outside of rugby? Educate me. Educate the ignorant. My knowledge of NZ history is zip. Help me understand. Maybe it'll make more sense then.

I kind of agree with the Maori, Taine Randell though. No matter what you feel about the haka, love it or not, as an adult one is able to make a judgement on the exposure to it or anything else for that matter. It's kind of like Ed Sheeran. He's a great artist, very talented, very successful, hard working and the like. People love his music and see him in their droves. However, every time he comes on the radio now I'm like, "Oh FFS, it's that see Sheeran again. He's never off the radio. Has about 10 songs going all at once. Jingly jangly." Doesn't mean he's rubbish. Doesn't mean his fans won't like him. It's just too much of a thing gets tedious. Human nature. There's probably a scientific researched backing to this. Going to look for it.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

irishjonny wrote:It's just too much of a thing gets tedious. Human nature. There's probably a scientific researched backing to this. Going to look for it.
It's called the swarm
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Shaking hands is one of many examples of what you probably consider normal behavior but which is in fact just a polite ritual and tradition that is not infact common to all cultures. The are many many others. Some tribal, some less so. I would put wearing a tie among the trivial, although many are forced by custom to wear this pointless and often uncomfortable item of clothing almost everyday.

Another example from my earlier post involved the launching of a boat. No one bats an eye at this custom no matter how small the boat, but a haka to celebrate the arrival of a multi million dollar aircraft is the equivalent of pulling out the haka "for the opening of an envelope".

If the Lions were greeted by a series of boring speeches, a parade of dignitaries, and perhaps a stirring national anthem with an exchange of gifts, no one would say a thing as it would match the European tradition. But NZ is not Europe or a little Britain. So the response of some to seeing traditions other than their own can be quite revealing. Especially their view that somehow the different cultures that have been involved in creating a modern New Zealand culture should somehow have remained segregated. That isn't something that has happened anywhere. Cultures interact and influence each other no matter where you are.

And yes, more than just haka have been moved beyond just being Maori culture and have become part of New Zealand culture. As a result many Maori words have become part of New Zealand English as the concepts associated lose something in translation.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Drunken morons that do the haka in spain are idiots. Kiwis with Maori ancestry that do the haka as a gesture of a challenge and/or welcome are doing exactly what they should do. I don't even see what the issue is. It's a sign of respect and for people to be mocking it is pretty tasteless.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

dr dre2 wrote:Because they are rarely done and when they are it's in traditional context and/or settings not at the opening of an envelope.

New mark of plane in the fleet. IT'S HAKA TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkEiWwSrFI

There was no jig in Cardiff to welcome the first bendy bus.

Most of you are European in origin and it looks a little silly, especially when you want to show off drunk in Europe.
Oh my absolute Jesus Christ. That's dreadful.

A bunch of middle-aged white guys in work clothing doing a Haka towards a plane. WTF were they actually thinking?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Lions fans should cherish the haka as it is a mark of respect. Especially after Saturday's performance.
globus

Post by globus »

H. AKA Aitch.
Dai another day

Post by Dai another day »

jdogscoop wrote:Lions fans should cherish the haka as it is a mark of respect. Especially after Saturday's performance.
It would be more respectful not to bore your visitors.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Dai is a spokes person for the British and Irish Lions.
Toro

B&IL TOUR HAKA THREADS COUNT

Post by Toro »

Will it beat the haka count?

1. HAKA COUNT http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79831

2. THEY'VE ARRIVED http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79756

3. 37 HAKA LIONS TOUR http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79768

...and I'm pretty sure another was merged or deleted.

Principal haka trolls:

Irish Johny
Anonymous
Mog
Dai
Camroc1
Clive
Henry
Crash12
C69
I guess Floppy kind of but he's kinda just laughs at everyone else's comments, bit like the 'put him in a body bag' dude from Karate Kid.

Best quotes: (suggestions welcome)
Clive wrote:Yes the haka is rather tedious, but they like the silly war dance so let them have it, but its become dull and its only one game in. I hope the Lions do a Wales and stare down the NZ team after the aka, although we lost that day it felt like we were pissing from a great height all over their dumb tradition.
irishjonny wrote:I suppose what gets me going about the haka is that much of those who claim it to be their culture, don't actually have it as their culture. I would imagine there is huge depth of culture and history of the Maori's and I think its disingenuous to claim that as your own if it's clearly not. I imagine it's only the Haka that gains ownership and not the rest of the culture and history. Maybe I'm wrong.
YOYO wrote: Did it become popular when the AB's started playing Maori players?
Calculus

Re: B&IL TOUR HAKA THREADS COUNT

Post by Calculus »

The forum would crash before it reaches anywhere near the Haka count.

BTW, you don’t think you are being, well, a little bit precious do you?
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Just too much haka these days, sorry.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Haka bile is directly related to how well the Lions tour is going.
Expect to be drowning in digestive juices by the time the 3rd test rolls around.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Calculus wrote:The forum would crash before it reaches anywhere near the Haka count.BTW, you don’t think you are being, well, a little bit precious do you?
Precious? Well of course, I'm dead serious you see.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

Toro wrote:Will it beat the haka count?

Principal haka trolls:

Irish Johny
Anonymous
Mog
Dai
Camroc1
Clive
Henry
Crash12
C69
I guess Floppy kind of but he's kinda just laughs at everyone else's comments, bit like the 'put him in a body bag' dude from Karate Kid.

Clive wrote:Yes the haka is rather tedious, but they like the silly war dance so let them have it, but its become dull and its only one game in. I hope the Lions do a Wales and stare down the NZ team after the aka, although we lost that day it felt like we were pissing from a great height all over their dumb tradition.
irishjonny wrote:I suppose what gets me going about the haka is that much of those who claim it to be their culture, don't actually have it as their culture. I would imagine there is huge depth of culture and history of the Maori's and I think its disingenuous to claim that as your own if it's clearly not. I imagine it's only the Haka that gains ownership and not the rest of the culture and history. Maybe I'm wrong.
:lol:
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Great thread. Something that admittedly had a mystique to it, is now disney.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Principal haka trolls:

Irish Johny
Anonymous
Mog
Dai
Camroc1
Clive
Henry
Crash12
C69

:lol: :thumbup:
irishjonny

Post by irishjonny »

Hey Toro. Come on. I don't think I should be a principal Haka troll. I would say peripheral. I've only started one thread on it. I may have expressed my exasperation a couple of times in the past but I think that's a pretty big tar brush you swinging (probably in a haka manner).

I think my line of thinking is exactly the same as Taine Randell. No more, no less. I think it's become common and not special, which is what personally I used to feel about it. It's probably a shame that this has happened. I can see how it wouldn't lose that gloss in NZ but you must surely see how it would outside of NZ. Taine agrees.

To try and placate everyone and in the spirit of impartiality, I have the same contempt for the f**king "Fields of Athenry". For much the same reason. Used to be a nice wee tune to sing down in Munster. Bit of passion and all that. Had some meaning. Now every Irishman is singing it at every opportunity. And now the bloody Lions have learned it. Such a dirge. Same thing where over exposure leads to boredom. Lots of history with that too but now spoiled it.

PS. There's no 'h' in Jonny. That really does my nut in. Possibly as much as this haka thread does yours in. Ok, maybe not.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Fat Old Git wrote:Shaking hands is one of many examples of what you probably consider normal behavior but which is in fact just a polite ritual and tradition that is not infact common to all cultures. The are many many others. Some tribal, some less so. I would put wearing a tie among the trivial, although many are forced by custom to wear this pointless and often uncomfortable item of clothing almost everyday.

Another example from my earlier post involved the launching of a boat. No one bats an eye at this custom no matter how small the boat, but a haka to celebrate the arrival of a multi million dollar aircraft is the equivalent of pulling out the haka "for the opening of an envelope".

If the Lions were greeted by a series of boring speeches, a parade of dignitaries, and perhaps a stirring national anthem with an exchange of gifts, no one would say a thing as it would match the European tradition. But NZ is not Europe or a little Britain. So the response of some to seeing traditions other than their own can be quite revealing. Especially their view that somehow the different cultures that have been involved in creating a modern New Zealand culture should somehow have remained segregated. That isn't something that has happened anywhere. Cultures interact and influence each other no matter where you are.

And yes, more than just haka have been moved beyond just being Maori culture and have become part of New Zealand culture. As a result many Maori words have become part of New Zealand English as the concepts associated lose something in translation.
But shaking hands doesn't involve pulling silly faces, poking your tongue out and thigh slapping, these are things we Europeans discourage in our children, and to see European NZ adults doing it looks silly. As a genuine cultural thing done by Maori (or PI) at their cultural events it deserves respect. A white European doing one because he just won 10 quid on a scratch card, not so much. It's been appropriated as an all New Zealand thing and that doesn't work from the outside. You just look delusional try hards, trying to invent a history that's not there.
Last edited by dr dre2 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toro

Post by Toro »

dr dre2 wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:Shaking hands is one of many examples of what you probably consider normal behavior but which is in fact just a polite ritual and tradition that is not infact common to all cultures. The are many many others. Some tribal, some less so. I would put wearing a tie among the trivial, although many are forced by custom to wear this pointless and often uncomfortable item of clothing almost everyday.

But shaking hands doesn't involve pulling silly faces, poking your tongue and thigh slapping. As a genuine cultural thing done by Maori (or PI) at their events it deserves respect. A white European doing one because he just won 10 quid on a scratch card, not so much. It's been appropriated as an all New Zealand thing and that doesn't work from the outside. You just look delusional try hards, trying to invent a history that's not there.
Haha, way to miss the point while continuing to prove his.
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

Toro wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

But shaking hands doesn't involve pulling silly faces, poking your tongue and thigh slapping. As a genuine cultural thing done by Maori (or PI) at their events it deserves respect. A white European doing one because he just won 10 quid on a scratch card, not so much. It's been appropriated as an all New Zealand thing and that doesn't work from the outside. You just look delusional try hards, trying to invent a history that's not there.
It's a silly dance, though?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

dr dre2 wrote:
Toro wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

It's a silly dance, though?
But it's not your silly dance.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

He obviously hasn't been watching Trump shake hands.
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

irishjonny wrote:Hey Toro. Come on. I don't think I should be a principal Haka troll. I would say peripheral. I've only started one thread on it. I may have expressed my exasperation a couple of times in the past but I think that's a pretty big tar brush you swinging (probably in a haka manner).

I think my line of thinking is exactly the same as Taine Randell. No more, no less. I think it's become common and not special, which is what personally I used to feel about it. It's probably a shame that this has happened. I can see how it wouldn't lose that gloss in NZ but you must surely see how it would outside of NZ. Taine agrees.

To try and placate everyone and in the spirit of impartiality, I have the same contempt for the f**king "Fields of Athenry". For much the same reason. Used to be a nice wee tune to sing down in Munster. Bit of passion and all that. Had some meaning. Now every Irishman is singing it at every opportunity. And now the bloody Lions have learned it. Such a dirge. Same thing where over exposure leads to boredom. Lots of history with that too but now spoiled it.

PS. There's no 'h' in Jonny. That really does my nut in. Possibly as much as this haka thread does yours in. Ok, maybe not.
I agree with this - the haka should be saved for occasions in NZ and left at home. The fields of Athenry is dreary but if the fans want to sing it in Ireland good luck to them.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Toro wrote:
Calculus wrote:The forum would crash before it reaches anywhere near the Haka count.BTW, you don’t think you are being, well, a little bit precious do you?
Precious? Well of course, I'm dead serious you see.
Toro boring Euro poster with no original ideas is boring Euro poster, they can't help it, no flair - just like the Lions really.
Jays Myth

Post by Jays Myth »

A few people here struggling with the difference between a Powhiri and Haka. If we're doing a count please track separately.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

dr dre2 wrote:

But shaking hands doesn't involve pulling silly faces, poking your tongue out and thigh slapping, these are things we Europeans discourage in our children, and to see European NZ adults doing it looks silly. As a genuine cultural thing done by Maori (or PI) at their cultural events it deserves respect. A white European doing one because he just won 10 quid on a scratch card, not so much. It's been appropriated as an all New Zealand thing and that doesn't work from the outside. You just look delusional try hards, trying to invent a history that's not there.
yeah but mate that is you talking about your norms in Scotland or wherever you are from. In NZ, it is perfectly normal for a NZ European to perform a haka. Chances are most of the NZ Europeans these days have some form of maori ancestry anyway. However, if not, so what?

The best way to describe it IMO is that a haka is performed as part of a group/team that a person is a member of, whether it is a work group representing the company, a school, a rugby team or other sporting team, a army battalion, a graduating police class, a bunch of old school mates farewelling a friend at a funeral or honouring another mate at a wedding. Whatever it is, it is a group thing. In this context, it doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is or whether you are not maori or not. You're in the group, you're part of the team.
Grizz Wyllie

Post by Grizz Wyllie »

Can't wait for Britain's Haka experts to take exception to Damien Mackenzie performing the haka for the Maori All Blacks against the Lions.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Auckman wrote:
dr dre2 wrote:

yeah but mate that is you talking about your norms in Scotland or wherever you are from. In NZ, it is perfectly normal for a NZ European to perform a haka. Chances are most of the NZ Europeans these days have some form of maori ancestry anyway. However, if not, so what?

The best way to describe it IMO is that a haka is performed as part of a group/team that a person is a member of, whether it is a work group representing the company, a school, a rugby team or other sporting team, a army battalion, a graduating police class, a bunch of old school mates farewelling a friend at a funeral or honouring another mate at a wedding. Whatever it is, it is a group thing. In this context, it doesn't matter what the colour of your skin is or whether you are not maori or not. You're in the group, you're part of the team.
And for a delicious Spag Bol?
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headline ... aka-video/
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Principal haka trolls:

Irish Johny
Anonymous
Mog
Dai
Camroc1
Clive
Henry
Crash12
C69

I take great offence to this post.

It's 'Get him a body bag, yeahhhhhh' FFS.
Spoiler: show
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Floppy, don't underestimate the cultural significance of a delicious spag bol.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Remember being at a wedding where a haka was directed at the bride, not for the couple but at the bride ... made for a rather uncomfortable wedding reception until we got rat faced.

Ironic thing is he was the useless drug f**ked layabout while she had 3 jobs on the go.