Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

All things Rugby
Post Reply
free_safety
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by free_safety »

Birmingham is the second largest city in the England, and possibly the UK with a population above 1 million according to wiki.
Yet the city does not have a union team or a league team in the top tier or the second tier.
In fact the city only has one notable team i.e. Mosely and they are in the 3rd tier.
Also according to wiki, there are no famous rugby players from Birmingham. (Of course wiki could be wrong)
So it seems rugby is not much of a factor in Birmingham. Cricket seems much bigger.
Is this the case?
If so why?
Last edited by free_safety on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Andalu
Posts: 3219
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Andalu »

The real question is why doesn't the 2nd largest city in England have a team in the Premier League?
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16519
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Zakar »

I'd go and check for you, but Trump tells me it's a 'no go zone'

Villa Park had a sellout crowd for Australia v Uruguay, but I suppose they could have been blow ins.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 50188
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by earl the beaver »

Andalu wrote:The real question is why doesn't the 2nd largest city in England have a team in the Premier League?
Well it's got West Brom, which is practically Birmingham with Villa and Birmingham City in the Championship (for now)
free_safety
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by free_safety »

earl the beaver wrote:
Andalu wrote:The real question is why doesn't the 2nd largest city in England have a team in the Premier League?
Well it's got West Brom, which is practically Birmingham with Villa and Birmingham City in the Championship (for now)
Plus Villa gets huge crowds even as they play in the second tier.
Also both Villa and Birmingham city have been in the premiership for many years.

Has Moseley or any team from Birmingham ever been in rugby's top tier?
User avatar
Saint
Posts: 15675
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: South Oxfordshire

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Saint »

Moseley used to be one of the top clubs in the country, reaching a peak around the 70s/80s

They were relegated at the end of the 90/91 season never really recovered, and didn't adapt well to professionalism
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 24476
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by DragsterDriver »

Zakar wrote:I'd go and check for you, but Trump tells me it's a 'no go zone'

Villa Park had a sellout crowd for Australia v Uruguay, but I suppose they could have been blow ins.
Pretty sure the Donald called it a ‘shithole’.

Wasps are about 15 miles away? Worcester 30 Miles?
User avatar
Dork Lard
Posts: 6874
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Dork Lard »

interesting question. As a die-hard Godflesh fan I learned about the city a tiny bit, how it's basically the industrial center of England, lots of blue-collars and 'common' folk and all that, never thought about Rugby+ Birmingham but one would think the spirits of both would be compatible together, on the surface maybe ? I guess they're pure urban area/football oriented, no time for fancy Rugby, so on. I don't know.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 10691
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by message #2527204 »

Dork Lard wrote:interesting question. As a die-hard Godflesh fan I learned about the city a tiny bit, how it's basically the industrial center of England, lots of blue-collars and 'common' folk and all that, never thought about Rugby+ Birmingham but one would think the spirits of both would be compatible together, on the surface maybe ? I guess they're pure urban area/football oriented, no time for fancy Rugby, so on. I don't know.
No. You don't.
Ramming Speed
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Ramming Speed »

More than Liverpool, about the same as Manchester. So no, not really.
C69
Posts: 39327
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by C69 »

Ramming Speed wrote:More than Liverpool, about the same as Manchester. So no, not really.
More than Liverpool?
Really?
Masterji
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Masterji »

They dont great have Rugby clubs but they do have the best Curry houses.
User avatar
Brumby_in_Vic
Posts: 15878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Are Pertemps Bees still around?
User avatar
Saint
Posts: 15675
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: South Oxfordshire

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Saint »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Are Pertemps Bees still around?
Went bust.

Reformed again, playing in something like Midlands 5
Smee
Posts: 4500
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Smee »

The big industrial cities tend to be football towns. Very hard for rugby clubs to carve out a niche in the shadow of those big football clubs, especially since they had a 100 year headstart in professionalism.... In Birmingham case Villa were one of the giants of the English game in the 19th century.

Rugby's niche is more the mid size towns like Bath, Leicester, Northampton, Exeter etc. who dont boast a powerhouse football team.... I think the same broadly applies in league with Warrington, Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield and so on.
Gwenno
Posts: 7703
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Gwenno »

Rupert Moon is from the West Midlands by his accent. Is he actually Brummie?
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 8980
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Leinsterman »

free_safety wrote: Cricket seems much bigger.
All the Indians and Pakistanis y'see...
User avatar
redderneck
Posts: 14952
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by redderneck »

Saint wrote:Moseley used to be one of the top clubs in the country, reaching a peak around the 70s/80s

They were relegated at the end of the 90/91 season never really recovered, and didn't adapt well to professionalism
Threads like this make me feel REALLY old. I'm Irish and still would have been hugely aware of just how big Mosely were back in the 70's/80's.
Mahoosive.

Sad to see clubs wither.
User avatar
Steamin Beamin
Posts: 1622
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Steamin Beamin »

Smee wrote:The big industrial cities tend to be football towns. Very hard for rugby clubs to carve out a niche in the shadow of those big football clubs, especially since they had a 100 year headstart in professionalism.... In Birmingham case Villa were one of the giants of the English game in the 19th century.

Rugby's niche is more the mid size towns like Bath, Leicester, Northampton, Exeter etc. who dont boast a powerhouse football team.... I think the same broadly applies in league with Warrington, Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield and so on.

They won the EPL in 15-16 and currently sit in the top 10. Not quite Man City, Chelsea etc but they are hardly a diddy team.
User avatar
earl the beaver
Posts: 50188
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by earl the beaver »

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Smee wrote:The big industrial cities tend to be football towns. Very hard for rugby clubs to carve out a niche in the shadow of those big football clubs, especially since they had a 100 year headstart in professionalism.... In Birmingham case Villa were one of the giants of the English game in the 19th century.

Rugby's niche is more the mid size towns like Bath, Leicester, Northampton, Exeter etc. who dont boast a powerhouse football team.... I think the same broadly applies in league with Warrington, Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield and so on.

They won the EPL in 15-16 and currently sit in the top 10. Not quite Man City, Chelsea etc but they are hardly a diddy team.
The won the premier league a year after scrapping to avoid relegation the year they were promoted, they've only been back in the PL for 4 years.
User avatar
happyhooker
Posts: 23122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by happyhooker »

Christ scrummie, I've played a few invitational sides and got a bit star struck by the odd name, but the names on that invitational list are stellar.
User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 8980
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Leinsterman »

redderneck wrote:
Saint wrote:Moseley used to be one of the top clubs in the country, reaching a peak around the 70s/80s

They were relegated at the end of the 90/91 season never really recovered, and didn't adapt well to professionalism
Threads like this make me feel REALLY old. I'm Irish and still would have been hugely aware of just how big Mosely were back in the 70's/80's.
Mahoosive.

Sad to see clubs wither.

Spivs gonna spiv though
User avatar
Steamin Beamin
Posts: 1622
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Steamin Beamin »

earl the beaver wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Smee wrote:The big industrial cities tend to be football towns. Very hard for rugby clubs to carve out a niche in the shadow of those big football clubs, especially since they had a 100 year headstart in professionalism.... In Birmingham case Villa were one of the giants of the English game in the 19th century.

Rugby's niche is more the mid size towns like Bath, Leicester, Northampton, Exeter etc. who dont boast a powerhouse football team.... I think the same broadly applies in league with Warrington, Wigan, Hull, Huddersfield and so on.

They won the EPL in 15-16 and currently sit in the top 10. Not quite Man City, Chelsea etc but they are hardly a diddy team.
The won the premier league a year after scrapping to avoid relegation the year they were promoted, they've only been back in the PL for 4 years.

So? They are still a fairly big team. You cant compare them to places like Bath and Northampton.
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 5864
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by SaintK »

Saint wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Are Pertemps Bees still around?
Went bust.

Reformed again, playing in something like Midlands 5
Not quite. They fell from the Championship to National 3 and are currently top of their league
http://www.beesrugby.com/
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 5864
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by SaintK »

Scrummie wrote:
free_safety wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Andalu wrote:The real question is why doesn't the 2nd largest city in England have a team in the Premier League?
Well it's got West Brom, which is practically Birmingham with Villa and Birmingham City in the Championship (for now)
Plus Villa gets huge crowds even as they play in the second tier.
Also both Villa and Birmingham city have been in the premiership for many years.

Has Moseley or any team from Birmingham ever been in rugby's top tier?
You’re kidding right?

In the 70’s and early 80’s Moseley were one of the best clubs in the UK. Ninety Six Moseley players have represented their countries, including four as England captain and a number of British Lions.

S.A DOBLE, 3 caps
M.C. TEAGUE, 25 Caps
N.C. JEAVONS, 14 Caps
J.F. BYRNE, 13 Caps
J.F. FINLAN, 13 Caps
N.E. HORTON, 13 Caps
C.W. McFADYEAN, 13 Caps
M.J. COOPER, 11 Caps
J. C. WEBSTER, 11 Caps
M.S LINNETT

I played at Moseley in the mid to late eighties and had the pleasure of playing with the likes of Jeavons, Goodwin and Linnett in the few first team games I played in. As mentioned Moseley didn’t transfer to the professional game very well and ended up loosing the Reddings to developers who bought it off some businessmen who promised the club investment but then sold the ground and sailed off into the sunset never to be seen again. They are now called Birmingham Moseley and their history includes representing Gt. Britain in the 1900 Paris Olympics and providing nine players to defeat the All Blacks in 1972.

My abiding memory as a kid in the seventies was the 77 season when were unbeaten in the first few months of the season before playing a rugby writers 15 for the Sam Doble memorial match at the Reddings. I have a dvd of the match and would love to be able to post it on here. Any ideas how to do that?

Copy and paste article below.

If you don’t want to read the article scroll down to the rugby writers team sheet :o

Following the untimely death of 33-year old Moseley and England fullback Sam Doble in 1977 ‘one of the best Rugby Union teams ever assembled in Britain’ played Moseley in a special memorial match, at The Reddings, on 27th November. The visiting side was composed of 12 members of the 1977 British Isles party together with Gareth Edwards, J.P.R. Williams and Gerald Davies. Such was the interest in the game that it was an 8,500 all ticket sell-out.

On a glorious autumnal afternoon Moseley, who were defending an unbeaten record for the season, had first use of the slope and sun; however, it was the visitors who opened the scoring when Phil Bennett kicked a penalty goal from the 10-yard line. During the first half he uncharacteristically also struck the uprights with two other attempts.

The first try of the afternoon was scored by Terry Cobner, following Peter Wheeler’s strike against the head at a scrum, reportedly the first that Moseley’s Gary Cox had conceded all season. Bennett converted this score but was unable to do so when the invitation side scored a second try following a superb back movement involving Gareth Edwards, Bennett, Gerald Davies and the eventual scorer Andy Irvine.

After half an hour’s play Moseley replied with a try, which was one of the highlights of the match. From a ‘furious’ ruck Martin Cooper looped outside Barrie Corless and Malcolm Swain sent Peter Beddoes over with ‘a beautifully judged long pass’ for a try, which was converted by Cooper.

Thus at half time Moseley were still in contention as they only trailed by six points to 13 and they started the second period with a bang when Clive Meanwell kicked a penalty goal to further narrow the gap between the sides.

From this point, however, the invitation side took control. Edwards sent a clever pass out to Bennett who with ‘dazzling acceleration’ and a trademark side step touched down behind the posts. Then having prevented Irvine from scoring down one wing the Moseley defence were unable to stop Peter Squires getting over in the opposite corner.

Gerald Davies was by now coming into his own and after side steps and dummies, which left potential tacklers grasping at thin air he made a try for Squires, which was followed by Bennett making a try for himself with a successful dummy. The Front Row Union then got involved supporting another run from Davies to set up Tony Neary for a try.

Despite this barrage of scoring Moseley had not given up trying and a Cooper counter attack produced a converted try for Barrie Corless which was followed by the home side’s third try, scored by Meanwell, following another Cooper break.

The final word went to Gerald Davies who touched down a scintillating try from which Bennett landed his fourth conversion. At no side the final tally was four goals, one penalty goal and four tries (43) to two goals, one penalty goal and one try (19) and to quote The Times ‘It was certainly no disgrace whatsoever for Moseley to lose their unbeaten record to a side such as this.’

Those who took part in this memorable occasion were:

MOSELEY- C.A. Meanwell; A. Thomas (rep. A. Watson-Jones), M.K. Swain (rep. L. Cusworth), B.J. Corless, P. Beddoes; M.J. Cooper, C.J. Gifford; T.F. Corless, G.N. Cox, W.H. Greaves, R. Field, B. Ayre, J.C. White, N. Jeavons, D.G. Warren (capt.).

INVITATION XV- J.P.R. Williams (Bridgend and Wales); P.J. Squires (Harrogate and England), T.G.R. Davies (Cardiff and Wales), S.P. Fenwick (Bridgend and Wales), A.R. Irvine (Heriot’s Former Pupils and Scotland); P. Bennett (Llanelli and Wales), G.O. Edwards (Cardiff and Wales); F.E. Cotton (Sale and England), P.J. Wheeler (Leicester and England) (rep. R. Windsor (Pontypool and Wales)), G. Price (Pontypool and Wales), W.B. Beaumont (Fylde and England), A.J. Martin (Aberavon and Wales), T.J. Cobner (Pontypool and Wales) (capt.), D.L. Quinnell (Llanelli and Wales), A. Neary (Broughton Park and England).

Referee: Mr. N. Sansom (Scotland).
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Moseley still surviving in National 1
webbcaster
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by webbcaster »

Martin Johnson one of the greatest and possibly the greatest rugby player ever was from the Birmingham area
User avatar
Chuckles1188
Posts: 40610
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Chuckles1188 »

SaintK wrote:
Scrummie wrote:
free_safety wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Andalu wrote:The real question is why doesn't the 2nd largest city in England have a team in the Premier League?
Well it's got West Brom, which is practically Birmingham with Villa and Birmingham City in the Championship (for now)
Plus Villa gets huge crowds even as they play in the second tier.
Also both Villa and Birmingham city have been in the premiership for many years.

Has Moseley or any team from Birmingham ever been in rugby's top tier?
You’re kidding right?

In the 70’s and early 80’s Moseley were one of the best clubs in the UK. Ninety Six Moseley players have represented their countries, including four as England captain and a number of British Lions.

S.A DOBLE, 3 caps
M.C. TEAGUE, 25 Caps
N.C. JEAVONS, 14 Caps
J.F. BYRNE, 13 Caps
J.F. FINLAN, 13 Caps
N.E. HORTON, 13 Caps
C.W. McFADYEAN, 13 Caps
M.J. COOPER, 11 Caps
J. C. WEBSTER, 11 Caps
M.S LINNETT

I played at Moseley in the mid to late eighties and had the pleasure of playing with the likes of Jeavons, Goodwin and Linnett in the few first team games I played in. As mentioned Moseley didn’t transfer to the professional game very well and ended up loosing the Reddings to developers who bought it off some businessmen who promised the club investment but then sold the ground and sailed off into the sunset never to be seen again. They are now called Birmingham Moseley and their history includes representing Gt. Britain in the 1900 Paris Olympics and providing nine players to defeat the All Blacks in 1972.

My abiding memory as a kid in the seventies was the 77 season when were unbeaten in the first few months of the season before playing a rugby writers 15 for the Sam Doble memorial match at the Reddings. I have a dvd of the match and would love to be able to post it on here. Any ideas how to do that?

Copy and paste article below.

If you don’t want to read the article scroll down to the rugby writers team sheet :o

Following the untimely death of 33-year old Moseley and England fullback Sam Doble in 1977 ‘one of the best Rugby Union teams ever assembled in Britain’ played Moseley in a special memorial match, at The Reddings, on 27th November. The visiting side was composed of 12 members of the 1977 British Isles party together with Gareth Edwards, J.P.R. Williams and Gerald Davies. Such was the interest in the game that it was an 8,500 all ticket sell-out.

On a glorious autumnal afternoon Moseley, who were defending an unbeaten record for the season, had first use of the slope and sun; however, it was the visitors who opened the scoring when Phil Bennett kicked a penalty goal from the 10-yard line. During the first half he uncharacteristically also struck the uprights with two other attempts.

The first try of the afternoon was scored by Terry Cobner, following Peter Wheeler’s strike against the head at a scrum, reportedly the first that Moseley’s Gary Cox had conceded all season. Bennett converted this score but was unable to do so when the invitation side scored a second try following a superb back movement involving Gareth Edwards, Bennett, Gerald Davies and the eventual scorer Andy Irvine.

After half an hour’s play Moseley replied with a try, which was one of the highlights of the match. From a ‘furious’ ruck Martin Cooper looped outside Barrie Corless and Malcolm Swain sent Peter Beddoes over with ‘a beautifully judged long pass’ for a try, which was converted by Cooper.

Thus at half time Moseley were still in contention as they only trailed by six points to 13 and they started the second period with a bang when Clive Meanwell kicked a penalty goal to further narrow the gap between the sides.

From this point, however, the invitation side took control. Edwards sent a clever pass out to Bennett who with ‘dazzling acceleration’ and a trademark side step touched down behind the posts. Then having prevented Irvine from scoring down one wing the Moseley defence were unable to stop Peter Squires getting over in the opposite corner.

Gerald Davies was by now coming into his own and after side steps and dummies, which left potential tacklers grasping at thin air he made a try for Squires, which was followed by Bennett making a try for himself with a successful dummy. The Front Row Union then got involved supporting another run from Davies to set up Tony Neary for a try.

Despite this barrage of scoring Moseley had not given up trying and a Cooper counter attack produced a converted try for Barrie Corless which was followed by the home side’s third try, scored by Meanwell, following another Cooper break.

The final word went to Gerald Davies who touched down a scintillating try from which Bennett landed his fourth conversion. At no side the final tally was four goals, one penalty goal and four tries (43) to two goals, one penalty goal and one try (19) and to quote The Times ‘It was certainly no disgrace whatsoever for Moseley to lose their unbeaten record to a side such as this.’

Those who took part in this memorable occasion were:

MOSELEY- C.A. Meanwell; A. Thomas (rep. A. Watson-Jones), M.K. Swain (rep. L. Cusworth), B.J. Corless, P. Beddoes; M.J. Cooper, C.J. Gifford; T.F. Corless, G.N. Cox, W.H. Greaves, R. Field, B. Ayre, J.C. White, N. Jeavons, D.G. Warren (capt.).

INVITATION XV- J.P.R. Williams (Bridgend and Wales); P.J. Squires (Harrogate and England), T.G.R. Davies (Cardiff and Wales), S.P. Fenwick (Bridgend and Wales), A.R. Irvine (Heriot’s Former Pupils and Scotland); P. Bennett (Llanelli and Wales), G.O. Edwards (Cardiff and Wales); F.E. Cotton (Sale and England), P.J. Wheeler (Leicester and England) (rep. R. Windsor (Pontypool and Wales)), G. Price (Pontypool and Wales), W.B. Beaumont (Fylde and England), A.J. Martin (Aberavon and Wales), T.J. Cobner (Pontypool and Wales) (capt.), D.L. Quinnell (Llanelli and Wales), A. Neary (Broughton Park and England).

Referee: Mr. N. Sansom (Scotland).
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Moseley still surviving in National 1
Coventry RFC absolutely annihilated them just before Christmas, are 17 from 18 at the moment :smug:
User avatar
Chuckles1188
Posts: 40610
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Chuckles1188 »

webbcaster wrote:Martin Johnson one of the greatest and possibly the greatest rugby player ever was from the Birmingham area
Shirley, Solihull, to be precise, but moved to Leicestershire when he was 7
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by croyals »

Leinsterman wrote:
free_safety wrote: Cricket seems much bigger.
All the Indians and Pakistanis y'see...
Partially, but Warwickshire have always been a major cricketing force and Edgbaston the toughest place to play England.

Rugby in Brum - not so much but the area around is pretty strong rugby country. Rugby isn't exactly an urban sport in England.
backrow
Posts: 21429
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by backrow »

Scrummie wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Christ scrummie, I've played a few invitational sides and got a bit star struck by the odd name, but the names on that invitational list are stellar.
My mate and I were half back partners at school at the time and we both got to shake our hero’s hands, Edwards and Bennett, after the match :D

Edwards turned up to the match in a Roller in a fur coat! Amateurs my arse.

Hang on a mo - this post is lacking, you need to also say
Where they drank
what you ate
where you went afterwards
vague reference to something Geographical and totally unrelated
not so vague reference to you having a Newer Roller
and how good the #7 was
User avatar
SaintK
Posts: 5864
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: 'ertfordshire

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by SaintK »

Scrummie wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Christ scrummie, I've played a few invitational sides and got a bit star struck by the odd name, but the names on that invitational list are stellar.
My mate and I were half back partners at school at the time and we both got to shake our hero’s hands, Edwards and Bennett, after the match :D

Edwards turned up to the match in a Roller in a fur coat
! Amateurs my arse.
:lol: :lol:
User avatar
happyhooker
Posts: 23122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by happyhooker »

SaintK wrote:
Scrummie wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Christ scrummie, I've played a few invitational sides and got a bit star struck by the odd name, but the names on that invitational list are stellar.
My mate and I were half back partners at school at the time and we both got to shake our hero’s hands, Edwards and Bennett, after the match :D

Edwards turned up to the match in a Roller in a fur coat
! Amateurs my arse.
:lol: :lol:
Putting a fur coat on a roller is fancy
Lisbon Nick
Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Lisbon Nick »

Scrummie wrote:
free_safety wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Andalu wrote:The real question is why doesn't the 2nd largest city in England have a team in the Premier League?
Well it's got West Brom, which is practically Birmingham with Villa and Birmingham City in the Championship (for now)
Plus Villa gets huge crowds even as they play in the second tier.
Also both Villa and Birmingham city have been in the premiership for many years.

Has Moseley or any team from Birmingham ever been in rugby's top tier?
You’re kidding right?

In the 70’s and early 80’s Moseley were one of the best clubs in the UK. Ninety Six Moseley players have represented their countries, including four as England captain and a number of British Lions.

S.A DOBLE, 3 caps
M.C. TEAGUE, 25 Caps
N.C. JEAVONS, 14 Caps
J.F. BYRNE, 13 Caps
J.F. FINLAN, 13 Caps
N.E. HORTON, 13 Caps
C.W. McFADYEAN, 13 Caps
M.J. COOPER, 11 Caps
J. C. WEBSTER, 11 Caps
M.S LINNETT

I played at Moseley in the mid to late eighties and had the pleasure of playing with the likes of Jeavons, Goodwin and Linnett in the few first team games I played in. As mentioned Moseley didn’t transfer to the professional game very well and ended up loosing the Reddings to developers who bought it off some businessmen who promised the club investment but then sold the ground and sailed off into the sunset never to be seen again. They are now called Birmingham Moseley and their history includes representing Gt. Britain in the 1900 Paris Olympics and providing nine players to defeat the All Blacks in 1972.

My abiding memory as a kid in the seventies was the 77 season when were unbeaten in the first few months of the season before playing a rugby writers 15 for the Sam Doble memorial match at the Reddings. I have a dvd of the match and would love to be able to post it on here. Any ideas how to do that?

Copy and paste article below.

If you don’t want to read the article scroll down to the rugby writers team sheet :o

Following the untimely death of 33-year old Moseley and England fullback Sam Doble in 1977 ‘one of the best Rugby Union teams ever assembled in Britain’ played Moseley in a special memorial match, at The Reddings, on 27th November. The visiting side was composed of 12 members of the 1977 British Isles party together with Gareth Edwards, J.P.R. Williams and Gerald Davies. Such was the interest in the game that it was an 8,500 all ticket sell-out.

On a glorious autumnal afternoon Moseley, who were defending an unbeaten record for the season, had first use of the slope and sun; however, it was the visitors who opened the scoring when Phil Bennett kicked a penalty goal from the 10-yard line. During the first half he uncharacteristically also struck the uprights with two other attempts.

The first try of the afternoon was scored by Terry Cobner, following Peter Wheeler’s strike against the head at a scrum, reportedly the first that Moseley’s Gary Cox had conceded all season. Bennett converted this score but was unable to do so when the invitation side scored a second try following a superb back movement involving Gareth Edwards, Bennett, Gerald Davies and the eventual scorer Andy Irvine.

After half an hour’s play Moseley replied with a try, which was one of the highlights of the match. From a ‘furious’ ruck Martin Cooper looped outside Barrie Corless and Malcolm Swain sent Peter Beddoes over with ‘a beautifully judged long pass’ for a try, which was converted by Cooper.

Thus at half time Moseley were still in contention as they only trailed by six points to 13 and they started the second period with a bang when Clive Meanwell kicked a penalty goal to further narrow the gap between the sides.

From this point, however, the invitation side took control. Edwards sent a clever pass out to Bennett who with ‘dazzling acceleration’ and a trademark side step touched down behind the posts. Then having prevented Irvine from scoring down one wing the Moseley defence were unable to stop Peter Squires getting over in the opposite corner.

Gerald Davies was by now coming into his own and after side steps and dummies, which left potential tacklers grasping at thin air he made a try for Squires, which was followed by Bennett making a try for himself with a successful dummy. The Front Row Union then got involved supporting another run from Davies to set up Tony Neary for a try.

Despite this barrage of scoring Moseley had not given up trying and a Cooper counter attack produced a converted try for Barrie Corless which was followed by the home side’s third try, scored by Meanwell, following another Cooper break.

The final word went to Gerald Davies who touched down a scintillating try from which Bennett landed his fourth conversion. At no side the final tally was four goals, one penalty goal and four tries (43) to two goals, one penalty goal and one try (19) and to quote The Times ‘It was certainly no disgrace whatsoever for Moseley to lose their unbeaten record to a side such as this.’

Those who took part in this memorable occasion were:

MOSELEY- C.A. Meanwell; A. Thomas (rep. A. Watson-Jones), M.K. Swain (rep. L. Cusworth), B.J. Corless, P. Beddoes; M.J. Cooper, C.J. Gifford; T.F. Corless, G.N. Cox, W.H. Greaves, R. Field, B. Ayre, J.C. White, N. Jeavons, D.G. Warren (capt.).

INVITATION XV- J.P.R. Williams (Bridgend and Wales); P.J. Squires (Harrogate and England), T.G.R. Davies (Cardiff and Wales), S.P. Fenwick (Bridgend and Wales), A.R. Irvine (Heriot’s Former Pupils and Scotland); P. Bennett (Llanelli and Wales), G.O. Edwards (Cardiff and Wales); F.E. Cotton (Sale and England), P.J. Wheeler (Leicester and England) (rep. R. Windsor (Pontypool and Wales)), G. Price (Pontypool and Wales), W.B. Beaumont (Fylde and England), A.J. Martin (Aberavon and Wales), T.J. Cobner (Pontypool and Wales) (capt.), D.L. Quinnell (Llanelli and Wales), A. Neary (Broughton Park and England).

Referee: Mr. N. Sansom (Scotland).
Attended the match as well. Unfortunately was too young to see the 1972 game when Moseley and Coventry combined as Midlands West to beat the All Blacks but my dad went. Funny how noone talks about that victory compared to say Llanellis.

Also remember some cracking boxing day derbies gainst Cov.

As mentioned Moseley (and also Coventry) completely f***ed up the transition to professionalism.
Bradwall Boy
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by Bradwall Boy »

Saint wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Are Pertemps Bees still around?
Went bust.

Reformed again, playing in something like Midlands 5
Birmingham/Solihull as they are now are having a great season in Midlands Premier (Level 5). Currently top.

Beaten everybody except the mighty 'bach. *





*(Game postponed because of snow) ;)
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 10691
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Is rugby popular in Birmingham?

Post by message #2527204 »

Bradwall Boy wrote:
Saint wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:Are Pertemps Bees still around?
Went bust.

Reformed again, playing in something like Midlands 5
Birmingham/Solihull as they are now are having a great season in Midlands Premier (Level 5). Currently top.

Beaten everybody except the mighty 'bach. *





*(Game postponed because of snow) ;)
Lost one now ;) :thumbup:
Post Reply