Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 778  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 am 
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20763
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am 
You can’t really buy services that don’t exist.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5423
Location: NZ
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.



As I pointed out they can't

They have already called bracket changes tax cuts to the rich


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5950
Dark wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.



As I pointed out they can't

They have already called bracket changes tax cuts to the rich


That’s because they are. They are tax cuts for everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12662
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.


An extra 10 bucks per week or functioning health and education sectors.

Tough choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6089
Location: Vandean Coast
RuggaBugga wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.


An extra 10 bucks per week or functioning health and education sectors.

Tough choice.


eugenius wrote:
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄


You guys do realise what a surplus means right?
The govt isn't allocating it to health, education or social services . Your arguments are total strawmen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19488
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.


As we've been told a dozen times or more here, the working poor don't pay any tax anyway. Is that not correct now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20763
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.


As we've been told a dozen times or more here, the working poor don't pay any tax anyway. Is that not correct now?


I think the argument has been that they don't "effectively" pay any tax as they get it back in other benefits such as working for families (We'll leave aside the debate about the inefficiency of taking money off people and making them apply for it back as that has been done to death in the past.)

Addressing bracket creep at the lower end won't address or solve all of our social issues by any stretch of the imagination. As I think Eug was alluding to it won't make more or better housing available, but it's another step in the right direction. It could mean school lunches, new shoes, raincoat etc for kids currently in need for example. As long as they apply the same principles to where assistance starts anyway and don't say "your rich now so get nothing."

But even if it ended up meaning so real increase in income (in which case it would be cost neutral to the government as they would be saving benefits) I suspect it would be better for people's self esteem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20763
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.



As I pointed out they can't

They have already called bracket changes tax cuts to the rich


That’s because they are. They are tax cuts for everyone.


Except the truly rich who are unlikely to be paying income tax.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16113
Dark wrote:
Tehui wrote:
deadduck wrote:
It shouldn't remain unsaid that much of this surplus is a result of wage inflation and Labour are refusing to adjust the income tax brackets. In 2017 a person on the mean income pays about $1000 more tax each year than a person on the mean income in 2010. People most people are pushing well into the second-highest tax bracket which starts at a lowly $48,000. Many are also hitting the top bracket at just $70k and would by no means consider themselves rich.

It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant


They should increase the tax rate. Better yet, they should increase the tax rate from whatever amount you are earning. That sounds fair.


Raise the tax brackets?

They can't

That is what national electioneered on. Raising the low and middle tax brackets

Labour twisted it to tax cuts for the rich (as they get the same lower money untaxed)

Cynical, but it means they cant


The set of income tax rate cuts National made in 2010, when you factor in GST being raised from 12.5% to 15% at the same time, only benefited those earning $80k +.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6332
eugenius wrote:
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄

I think there is a middle ground here. DD does have a point that the tax brackets could move up. Conversely, yep, let's see what needs fixing, and more importantly how well the fixes work, before happily declaring the government's so rich it doesn't need as much income. It won't hurt that the tax brackets stay in place for a couple more years and the government looks to make ground in areas that they felt were neglected under National... after all that's what they are in for.

Curiously though there was a key fund manager thinking Labour might run a deficit. Not sure how this working in terms of expectations of the NZ$ which has been steadily dropping again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5950
deadduck wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
Perhaps if they addressed bracket creep, at least at the lower levels, there wouldn't be quite as much need for social services and the working poor might be a bit better off.


An extra 10 bucks per week or functioning health and education sectors.

Tough choice.


eugenius wrote:
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄


You guys do realise what a surplus means right?
The govt isn't allocating it to health, education or social services . Your arguments are total strawmen


The surplus is not allocated, but more funding is going to social services as the split is different.

Nationals plan was to provide tax cuts and pay down debt to a specific target through surpluses higher surpluses.

Labour scrapped the tax cuts, delayed the debt target and opted to spend more money on social services. When labour says 3.1b to health, what do you think that means exactly? The budget includes information on funding and, for memory, it’s basically a third from cancelled tax cuts, a third from delayed debt target, and a third from revenue forecasts increasing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5423
Location: NZ
Flockwitt wrote:
eugenius wrote:
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄

I think there is a middle ground here. DD does have a point that the tax brackets could move up. Conversely, yep, let's see what needs fixing, and more importantly how well the fixes work, before happily declaring the government's so rich it doesn't need as much income. It won't hurt that the tax brackets stay in place for a couple more years and the government looks to make ground in areas that they felt were neglected under National... after all that's what they are in for.

Curiously though there was a key fund manager thinking Labour might run a deficit. Not sure how this working in terms of expectations of the NZ$ which has been steadily dropping again.


Lol

Um no

They are in because Winston decided he wanted them in

The same as if he had picked National

Trying to make out it was some sort of call from the people for a tide of change is pushing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9013
Location: Sydney Town
If it was up to me, I would've put an extra $5 billion into Education and $5 billion into Health and an extra $3 billion into Housing. Most of the problems solved there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 1873
Location: I raro i te maunga
Absolutely savage takedown of Nathan Guy here.

Quote:
Back in 2017 Guy dithered when the disease was found in a farm owned by rich-listers. I suspect it was all kept secret and quick and decisive action held up while compensation was being negotiated. It is interesting to see how compensation seems to be the only issue over the Mycoplasma bovis outbreak that has taxed the mind of Guy last year when he was minister, and now in Opposition.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/05/mitch-mccann-a-tale-of-two-portfolios.html

As always, Guy and his mates in the National party look out, and cover up, for rich listers. Everyone else pays.

Just how much damage did the John Key government do? I think we are only just beginning to find out…


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5423
Location: NZ
Auckman wrote:
If it was up to me, I would've put an extra $5 billion into Education and $5 billion into Health and an extra $3 billion into Housing. Most of the problems solved there.


I think the problem with the housing is always going to be the red tape, Which Robertson is finally realising now

You can throw billions at it, but you are still looking at years for a big build and millions in costs just getting the sign off through to start.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm 
Thai guy wrote:
Absolutely savage takedown of Nathan Guy here.

Quote:
Back in 2017 Guy dithered when the disease was found in a farm owned by rich-listers. I suspect it was all kept secret and quick and decisive action held up while compensation was being negotiated. It is interesting to see how compensation seems to be the only issue over the Mycoplasma bovis outbreak that has taxed the mind of Guy last year when he was minister, and now in Opposition.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/05/mitch-mccann-a-tale-of-two-portfolios.html

As always, Guy and his mates in the National party look out, and cover up, for rich listers. Everyone else pays.

Just how much damage did the John Key government do? I think we are only just beginning to find out…



Guy is one of the dumbest and most compliant stooges in parliament.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5423
Location: NZ
eugenius wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Absolutely savage takedown of Nathan Guy here.

Quote:
Back in 2017 Guy dithered when the disease was found in a farm owned by rich-listers. I suspect it was all kept secret and quick and decisive action held up while compensation was being negotiated. It is interesting to see how compensation seems to be the only issue over the Mycoplasma bovis outbreak that has taxed the mind of Guy last year when he was minister, and now in Opposition.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/05/mitch-mccann-a-tale-of-two-portfolios.html

As always, Guy and his mates in the National party look out, and cover up, for rich listers. Everyone else pays.

Just how much damage did the John Key government do? I think we are only just beginning to find out…



Guy is one of the dumbest and most compliant stooges in parliament.


Interesting quote that

Either Thai guy is someone called "Muttonbird" on the Standard or he likes to steal other peoples comments

https://thestandard.org.nz/open-mike-18 ... /#comments

Look at comment 2.2

Or some bloke called Muttonbird likes to steal Thai guys posts


Last edited by Dark on Fri May 18, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5950
Better late than never Dark :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9013
Location: Sydney Town
The penny has finally dropped for Dark :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Posts: 6916
Location: NZ
Einhorn is Finkle :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8671
Where's Muttonbird's sparring partner harvey wilson when you need him?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 4330
Or he's an AI bot spraying predictable shite on dozens of sites.

Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Grant and Jacinda for a completely down-the-line budget. Surpluses locked in, continuation of the last 18 years or centrist policy locked in. Everything else is in the margins. If they turn out also to be competent then NZ will be onto some sort of world record for high quality stable centrist government.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5423
Location: NZ
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Or he's an AI bot spraying predictable shite on dozens of sites.

Anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Grant and Jacinda for a completely down-the-line budget. Surpluses locked in, continuation of the last 18 years or centrist policy locked in. Everything else is in the margins. If they turn out also to be competent then NZ will be onto some sort of world record for high quality stable centrist government.


Indeed

I've never seen so many "CRISES!!!" Disappear so fast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6089
Location: Vandean Coast
I see Phil Twyford is out making friends and influencing people again... erm

Image
Twyford slams 'kids at Treasury'


He must be the most unlikeable of the current Cabinet surely, and Cabinet has Shane Jones in it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5950
deadduck wrote:
I see Phil Twyford is out making friends and influencing people again... erm

Image
Twyford slams 'kids at Treasury'


He must be the most unlikeable of the current Cabinet surely, and Cabinet has Shane Jones in it!


I hate that shit, attacking your departments when their assessment doesn’t suit your narrative. Key did it too for memory, or was it Joyce?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5423
Location: NZ
deadduck wrote:
I see Phil Twyford is out making friends and influencing people again... erm

Image
Twyford slams 'kids at Treasury'


He must be the most unlikeable of the current Cabinet surely, and Cabinet has Shane Jones in it!



He has always had that leering, talking two inches away from womens face thing going on.

In some people it makes them look tough if it's a bloke. He just looks like an arsehole


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10736
Location: Spiritual Guardianland
booji boy wrote:
Where's Muttonbird's sparring partner harvey wilson when you need him?


A double count out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20763
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:
I see Phil Twyford is out making friends and influencing people again... erm

Image
Twyford slams 'kids at Treasury'


He must be the most unlikeable of the current Cabinet surely, and Cabinet has Shane Jones in it!


I hate that shit, attacking your departments when their assessment doesn’t suit your narrative. Key did it too for memory, or was it Joyce?


Joyce I think (iirc) although perhaps on Key's instructions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 549
Dark wrote:
deadduck wrote:
I see Phil Twyford is out making friends and influencing people again... erm

Image
Twyford slams 'kids at Treasury'


He must be the most unlikeable of the current Cabinet surely, and Cabinet has Shane Jones in it!



He has always had that leering, talking two inches away from womens face thing going on.

In some people it makes them look tough if it's a bloke. He just looks like an arsehole


Politicians come and go, the civil service is eternal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5950
This is the one I’m thinking of. It’s Key. Basically just proves they’re all as bad as each other.

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/key-treas ... nse-197203


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 1873
Location: I raro i te maunga
Wilderbeast wrote:
This is the one I’m thinking of. It’s Key. Basically just proves they’re all as bad as each other.

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/key-treas ... nse-197203
:lol: Their golden boy did exactly the same thing 18 months ago. Didn't hear them complain about it then!

Here he is again blaming a MFAT official personally in the media for the Malaysian diplomat bungle.

Quote:
‘‘If that person doesn’t have clarity about that position then they need to think very strongly about whether they’re in the right job,’’ Key said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... mat-bungle

In the words of deadduck and Dark, "unlikable" and "an arsehole".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12879
Location: Coalfalls
Auckman wrote:
The penny has finally dropped for Dark :lol:

Yep. Sharp as a bowling ball, that fulla.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 4330
Fat Old Git wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:
I see Phil Twyford is out making friends and influencing people again... erm

Image
Twyford slams 'kids at Treasury'


He must be the most unlikeable of the current Cabinet surely, and Cabinet has Shane Jones in it!


I hate that shit, attacking your departments when their assessment doesn’t suit your narrative. Key did it too for memory, or was it Joyce?


Joyce I think (iirc) although perhaps on Key's instructions.

:lol:

To be fair Treasury is full of very clever kids. And wasn't it Cullen that described some advice of theirs as an 'intellectual fart'?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6089
Location: Vandean Coast
A 3rd term Prime Minister can get away with that kind of nonsense. Twyford has been in the job 6 months . Everything I've seen of him oozes of smarminess


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12662
Dark wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
eugenius wrote:
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄

I think there is a middle ground here. DD does have a point that the tax brackets could move up. Conversely, yep, let's see what needs fixing, and more importantly how well the fixes work, before happily declaring the government's so rich it doesn't need as much income. It won't hurt that the tax brackets stay in place for a couple more years and the government looks to make ground in areas that they felt were neglected under National... after all that's what they are in for.

Curiously though there was a key fund manager thinking Labour might run a deficit. Not sure how this working in terms of expectations of the NZ$ which has been steadily dropping again.


Lol

Um no

They are in because Winston decided he wanted them in

The same as if he had picked National

Trying to make out it was some sort of call from the people for a tide of change is pushing it.


God these uber-partisan plum are boring :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 1873
Location: I raro i te maunga
Key set a new standard for smarminess. One unlikely to be challenged for some time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 1873
Location: I raro i te maunga
Dark wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
eugenius wrote:
Quote:
It's all well and good for Robertson to crow about surpluses but that's basically admitting that the tax take is too high. Give it back Grant



I’ve got a startling new idea, how about spend it on social services and society ?

I realise that it might not excite as a few more bucks in your pocket DD , but I’m sure you’ll survive the trauma.

🙄

I think there is a middle ground here. DD does have a point that the tax brackets could move up. Conversely, yep, let's see what needs fixing, and more importantly how well the fixes work, before happily declaring the government's so rich it doesn't need as much income. It won't hurt that the tax brackets stay in place for a couple more years and the government looks to make ground in areas that they felt were neglected under National... after all that's what they are in for.

Curiously though there was a key fund manager thinking Labour might run a deficit. Not sure how this working in terms of expectations of the NZ$ which has been steadily dropping again.


Lol

Um no

They are in because Winston decided he wanted them in

The same as if he had picked National

Trying to make out it was some sort of call from the people for a tide of change is pushing it.
Some are still not quite over the election result. Remember, everyone who voted NZF voted for change. It was central to their campaign.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6089
Location: Vandean Coast
:lol: If you say so. He was also one of if not our most popular prime ministers ever. Twyford could learn a lot from him


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 778  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Edinburgh01, EverReady, Geek, gonesouth, Google Adsense [Bot], Leinsterman, Mick Mannock, Muttonbirds, Oxbow, towny and 60 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group