Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 737  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:13 am 

I am sure you may have a point but why would you choose to use that word?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:16 am 
Perhaps because I don’t regard those of IH as ‘retarded.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 am 

It’s an unfortunate choice.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 am 
So was he .

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:52 am 
So was he .

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 am 

It's a poor choice regardless of your weak justifications Eug... whether you like it or not there are implications stemming from the use of it that you can't worm away from. It also contrasts with any effort you may make to promote any sort of progressive cause or social awareness policy.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:54 am 

Thai guy wrote:
This evil little man

who is propped up in his electorate by the National party despite being a vociferous promoter of self-reliance, wants to stop this

turning into this.

He's just doing what his electorate want him to do, which is what an MP is supposed to do.

I live in Epsom, it's full of unfriendly wankers so infill apartments will be stalled over and over again here.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:03 am 

True Blue wrote:
He's just doing what his electorate want him to do, which is what an MP is supposed to do.

Surely he's also supposed to live up to the policies of his party which is well and truly about the free market?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 am 

True Blue wrote:
I live in Epsom, it's full of unfriendly wankers so infill apartments will be stalled over and over again here.

:shock: A 'rich prick' in our midst.

Eug and Thai Guy will be apoplectic!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 am 

How about that Phil Twyford huh? Can't keep his name out of the papers.

I hope we're not going to have Labour Ministers offering faux resignations every time they put regular mail in the fast post, or microwave fish at the parliamentary canteen.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:13 am 

Twyford seems to have really excelled at the ability to sound more like a twat the more often he speaks

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:26 am 

Twyford does have a massive job on his hands trying to fix the destruction by the National government. Particularly as they'll continue to sabotage large scale house building because it might affect their voters' property portfolios.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 am 

40 years ago today...

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/eviction-of-p ... tion-point

Quote:
Police and army personnel removed 222 people from Bastion Point, above Auckland’s Waitematā Harbour, ending an occupation that had lasted 506 days. Local iwi (tribe) Ngāti Whātua were protesting against the loss of land in the Ōrākei block, which had once been declared ‘absolutely inalienable’.

Protesters occupied Bastion Point in January 1977 after the government announced a housing development on former Ngāti Whātua reserve land. The reserve had been gradually reduced in size by compulsory acquisition, leaving Ngāti Whātua ki Ōrākei holding less than 1 ha.

Following a Waitangi Tribunal inquiry in the mid-1980s, much of the land was later returned to or vested with Ngāti Whātua.

There were similar protests during 1978 at Raglan, where Māori land had been taken during the Second World War for an airfield that was never built. Instead of being returned to its former owners, some of this land had been turned into a golf course in 1969. The land was eventually returned to the Tainui Awhiro people.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:34 am 

Who would be top of the Government's "Dear God what are they going to say/do next" list? The early contenders must be Twyford, Curran and Shane Jones but are there any other contenders?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am 

Tell you what. There is something very fishy about the people at the centre of the MCB disaster.

Wilma and Aad Van Leeuwen.
Alfons and Gea Zeestraten.
and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/104008639/waikato-farmer-reveals-his-farm-first-in-the-region-to-get-mycoplasma-bovis-cattle-disease

Seems like a closed group and you have to wonder if the stuff they were importing is the source. I hope the authorities find out.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
JB1981 wrote:
Who would be top of the Government's "Dear God what are they going to say/do next" list? The early contenders must be Twyford, Curran and Shane Jones but are there any other contenders?

Reminds of Gerry the Fat Controller refusing to go thru airport Security, Billy English rorting accommodation benefits and Paula Benefit revealing client benefit details and John pulling hair. and having cups of tea It evens out eh?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am 

Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

Reminds of Gerry the Fat Controller refusing to go thru airport Security, Billy English rorting accommodation benefits and Paula Benefit revealing client benefit details and John pulling hair. and having cups of tea It evens out eh?

Yeah. It does make good entertainment seeing them pull each other up on things though. Phil Twyford's calls for harsher action on Gerry Brownlie's security breach gave his onboard phone call a bit of humourous irony.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:09 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

Yeah. It does make good entertainment seeing them pull each other up on things though. Phil Twyford's calls for harsher action on Gerry Brownlie's security breach gave his onboard phone call a bit of humourous irony.

It is a bit tit for tit, isn't it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:14 am 

Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

It is a bit tit for tit, isn't it.

Tat. Tit for tat.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 am 

Not in this case - they're all tits.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 am 

Which is a shame. Surely we were hoping for an improvement in government but so far it seems to be more of the same. Be it real effective policy or acting like a tit.

Edit. Auto correct does not like tit.

Last edited by Fat Old Git on Fri May 25, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Not in this case - they're all tits.

Both. Both tits.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Which is a shame. Surely we were hoping for an improvement in government but so far it seems to be more of the same. Be it real effective policy or acting like a rut.

I suppose you believe in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy too?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 am 

Hope and belief are two different things. I hope to win the big one when I but a lotto ticket as well. But don't really believe I will.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Hope and belief are two different things. I hope to win the big one when I but a lotto ticket as well. But don't really believe I will.

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Twyford does have a massive job on his hands trying to fix the destruction by the National government. Particularly as they'll continue to sabotage large scale house building because it might affect their voters' property portfolios.

You sir are a loon .. but it appears you are our loon so don’t change

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Tell you what. There is something very fishy about the people at the centre of the MCB disaster.

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/104008639/waikato-farmer-reveals-his-farm-first-in-the-region-to-get-mycoplasma-bovis-cattle-disease

Seems like a closed group and you have to wonder if the stuff they were importing is the source. I hope the authorities find out.

One has a home detention bracelet .... it’s a thing in dairy circles

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Which is a shame. Surely we were hoping for an improvement in government but so far it seems to be more of the same. Be it real effective policy or acting like a tit.

Edit. Auto correct does not like tit.

I agree, in a lot of the key areas its simply been more of the same and I can't see that changing for either National or Labour for years. Sure, they've redirect funding into different priorities but I'm talking the politics side of things here. They've been just as difficult on transparency as National were, which is my biggest disappointment.

I think Jacinda has been a pleasant surprise though. My worries over her being found out in a position way above her head look a bit unfounded. She comes across as incredibly genuine, which is a very powerful thing in politics. John Key managed it too, though it was slipping towards the end (and he knew it).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
She comes across as incredibly genuine, which is a very powerful thing in politics. John Key managed it too, though it was slipping towards the end (and he knew it).

She does... and I agree about Key but I think there's an effect of being in power for more than term where the genuine element becomes hard to maintain within a party machine.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am 

Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

Occam's razor says they fucked up but nothing suspicious, however if this affects milk prices then you could easily draw a straight line to a motivation.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:26 am 

Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

Does it extend to the whole farm? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:36 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

No unfortunately

Apparently and this is just gossip but the Zeestratens had a concrete cow statue outside the “home” farm , it has had its head smashed off .

Hard for people in the city to understand just how devastating this is for the people involved .
Some will never recover and the mental pressure must be immense.
A few will lose their entire life .. savings income and home..
Unfortunately I can see the already shocking rural suicide rates increasing.
There is no easy fix and pointing fingers fixes nothing .
This is our “mad cow” moment and the worst is still to come.
I hope our government quickly puts mental health initiatives in place to help these people and especially the children who will be the forgotten ones .
Dark days are coming for our economy.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am 

Jesus... $880million at least and thousands of cattle culled. Holy crap.

This is one of those terrible, slow burn events where more and more are drawn into it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:59 am 

Sounds awful. I was in the UK in 2001 at the height of the Foot & Mouth outbreak. I shudder to think how much livestock was destroyed in that event and the impact that had on the farmers. In relative sounds, this livestock disease could have a similar impact.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 am 

Hareaway wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

No unfortunately

Apparently and this is just gossip but the Zeestratens had a concrete cow statue outside the “home” farm , it has had its head smashed off .

Hard for people in the city to understand just how devastating this is for the people involved .
Some will never recover and the mental pressure must be immense.
A few will lose their entire life .. savings income and home..
Unfortunately I can see the already shocking rural suicide rates increasing.
There is no easy fix and pointing fingers fixes nothing .
This is our “mad cow” moment and the worst is still to come.
I hope our government quickly puts mental health initiatives in place to help these people and especially the children who will be the forgotten ones .
Dark days are coming for our economy.

I know some folks who,s farm bounds one of the above property's near Winton, they have worked damned hard for 35 years and recently put it on the market ,3 weeks later the bovis came to light next door,the agents have told them they are lookin at a 35% price reduction

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am 
Should compensation be provided for those that fought and then neglected compliance?

More cooperate welfare for the happily ideological hypocritical I guess.

No surprises there .

In other news the three strikes law is soon gone .

Good job.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 pm 

eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?
there is currently a sick fcuk going before the courts who has beaten a person to the edge of their life , been convicted, then raped and murdered , convicted, now potentially done the same again ,wtf is wrong with locking the sick fcuk up forever?

Last edited by jono45 on Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm 

jono45 wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?
there is currently a sick fudge going before the courts has beaten a person to the edge of their life , been covicted, then raped and murdered , convicted, now potentially done the same again ,wtf is wrong with locking the sick fudge up forever?

It’s good because there is zero evidence it makes any difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
jono45 wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?
there is currently a sick fudge going before the courts has beaten a person to the edge of their life , been covicted, then raped and murdered , convicted, now potentially done the same again ,wtf is wrong with locking the sick fudge up forever?

It’s good because there is zero evidence it makes any difference.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:34 pm 

Is there evidence it does harm though?
To my knowledge the only person unreasonably affected by this had their sentence reduced when the judge used their discretion and common sense.

It seems like an ideologically driven change, much like the charter schools and the 90 day trial period

I think the general public are fairly ambivalent about these things

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359, 360, 361 ... 737  Next