The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

All things Rugby
Ulsters Red Hand

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2018?

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCrOzKkGHc

New horror series released on netflix today. Looks good, will probably be rubbish, but at least it looks like more of a horror than Haunting of Hill House
etherman

Post by etherman »

Vegged out on Vikings from the start recently. Pretty good actually. Hadnt great expectations. Pretty cool all told.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Have binged my way to season 8 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, how have I avoided this show for so long? Danny Devito is just brilliant as Frank.
Ulsters Red Hand

Mr. Very Popular wrote:Have binged my way to season 8 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, how have I avoided this show for so long? Danny Devito is just brilliant as Frank.
It's my favourite show out. It gets worse around season 10-12, aside from a few class episodes, but the most of the latest season was brilliant :thumbup:

Frank is by far the best character though

Mr. Very Popular

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:Have binged my way to season 8 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, how have I avoided this show for so long? Danny Devito is just brilliant as Frank.
It's my favourite show out. It gets worse around season 10-12, aside from a few class episodes, but the most of the latest season was brilliant :thumbup:

I could easily be Charlie, except I couldn’t do the ratting, watched ‘Macs day’ earlier, I feel it’s leading up to something about Mac.
Ulsters Red Hand

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

I could easily be Charlie, except I couldn’t do the ratting, watched ‘Macs day’ earlier, I feel it’s leading up to something about Mac.
Do you stalk your local waitress as well?
Mr. Very Popular

Well, she is lovely.

And, I don’t stalk, I protect her.
Ulsters Red Hand

:lol:

It is genius in an outrageous way. Don't want to spoil anything by mentioning it, but there have been some episodes you could rewatch loads and still find hilarious

The Gang Buys a Boat is one of the best episodes in the first few seasons from memory
comets

Post by comets »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCrOzKkGHc

New horror series released on netflix today. Looks good, will probably be rubbish, but at least it looks like more of a horror than Haunting of Hill House
looks good but the guy cast to play the female lead's father looks like a shitty choice for the role.. it takes one poor actor to ruin a whole show..i'll wait til;l the show gets good reviews and then watch it..
akann

Post by akann »

tubbyj wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
akann wrote:The trailer for Cobra Kai Season 2 looks amazing. Cobra Kai was the best show on TV last year imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXoQJx3jYs
Looking forward to this one, that first season was far better than I'd have thought a series based on the Karate kid could be.
Came here on Saturday night and ended up staying up to 4:30am binge watching the first 8 episodes. Went out yesterday but just finished watching the final 2 this morning. Really great series, I really liked the way this flipped the well worn concept of this is the 'good character' and this is the 'bad character'. I don't watch as much tv like I used to as I don't think the quality is that great and I prefer books for the way the good writers can craft better rounded and more consistent characters while the story is unfolding but this was excellent and up there is with True Detective s3 as the best thing I have watched in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the recommendation I wouldn't have watched if I didn't came here and read this on Saturday night.
Brilliant show. Loved Season 2, felt Season 1 was slightly better but there really wasn't much in it. Just wish the episodes were a little bit longer. Billy Zabka deserves an Emmy imo for his role as Johnny Lawrence, very underrated actor.

Glad you enjoyed it.
The Native

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by The Native »

I'm late to the party but I've just started Silicon Valley, having watched half the first season. It's OK, does it get better?
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

The Native wrote:I'm late to the party but I've just started Silicon Valley, having watched half the first season. It's OK, does it get better?
You’ve watched more than I managed.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote::lol:

It is genius in an outrageous way. Don't want to spoil anything by mentioning it, but there have been some episodes you could rewatch loads and still find hilarious

The Gang Buys a Boat is one of the best episodes in the first few seasons from memory
The drinking game episodes are among my favourites. I might have to watch them again today now.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Finished Counterpart season 2.

Such a good show, absolutely gutted it got canned. Still open enough for a resurrection but that was resolved enough.
Spoiler: show
we can just assume that Alpha world has a big flu pandemic where hundreds of millions die like prime world and they never reopen the portal. Shame though, had so much potential
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Bosch was not great, I wonder will they make a spin off for J Edgar.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

lorcanoworms wrote:Bosch was not great, I wonder will they make a spin off for J Edgar.
I really liked Bosch. You’re a heathen and deserve to be cast out from this thread.
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

RuggaBugga wrote:Finished Counterpart season 2.

Such a good show, absolutely gutted it got canned. Still open enough for a resurrection but that was resolved enough.
we can just assume that Alpha world has a big flu pandemic where hundreds of millions die like prime world and they never reopen the portal. Shame though, had so much potential
Yep, great show. Apparently they've been shopping it around to other networks/streamers. Be great if Amazon took it tho I doubt anyone will. One of those shows highly critically appraised but barely anyone watched.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
The Native wrote:I'm late to the party but I've just started Silicon Valley, having watched half the first season. It's OK, does it get better?
Brilliant show
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Just come on to say that Billions has hit it's straps on Season 4, and is back to being the best show on TV after an average couple of opening episodes. :thumbup:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Brilliant show
I too started watching this due to the hype it but it didn’t live up to it.

Is it like Parks and Rec where it takes a season to sort itself out?
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

UncleFB wrote:
ticketlessinseattle wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Brilliant show
I too started watching this due to the hype it but it didn’t live up to it.

Is it like Parks and Rec where it takes a season to sort itself out?
I advise perseverance. It gets better with each season imo.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Speed Racer wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:Finished Counterpart season 2.

Yep, great show. Apparently they've been shopping it around to other networks/streamers. Be great if Amazon took it tho I doubt anyone will. One of those shows highly critically appraised but barely anyone watched.
Officially dead apparently. Came close to a deal with someone but couldnt get it over the line. Would have taken off on a bigger platform than starz with a bit of promotion I think.

Dammit.
ticketlessinseattle

anyone watching "Quicksand" ? latest Scandi drama on Netflix ? good cast with plenty of recognisable faces, good reviews but a bit underwhelmed after watching 1st episode.
ps I love Billions !
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Nice little tribute to The Shield here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... e#comments
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Tacoma FD is turning into a nice comedy show
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

akann wrote:
tubbyj wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
akann wrote:The trailer for Cobra Kai Season 2 looks amazing. Cobra Kai was the best show on TV last year imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXoQJx3jYs
Looking forward to this one, that first season was far better than I'd have thought a series based on the Karate kid could be.
Came here on Saturday night and ended up staying up to 4:30am binge watching the first 8 episodes. Went out yesterday but just finished watching the final 2 this morning. Really great series, I really liked the way this flipped the well worn concept of this is the 'good character' and this is the 'bad character'. I don't watch as much tv like I used to as I don't think the quality is that great and I prefer books for the way the good writers can craft better rounded and more consistent characters while the story is unfolding but this was excellent and up there is with True Detective s3 as the best thing I have watched in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the recommendation I wouldn't have watched if I didn't came here and read this on Saturday night.
Brilliant show. Loved Season 2, felt Season 1 was slightly better but there really wasn't much in it. Just wish the episodes were a little bit longer. Billy Zabka deserves an Emmy imo for his role as Johnny Lawrence, very underrated actor.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Seems I can now watch Cobra Kai legally without a youtube premium sub. Is it aimed primarily at kids?
ticketlessinseattle wrote:only now getting into "Veep" - Christ its funny - and in another late to the show admission, finally got around to watch second episode of "Line of Duty" last night - really don't get the hype tbh
Veep is v good. Trust you have seen The Thick of It (the British politics 'version' from the same writer) and the In The Loop film, where US and British politics overlap?

Also, give Line of Duty more of a chance. I think series 1 was kind of a 'pot boiler' for me, but I was hooked by the end. I can imagine that the current hype doesn't help someone approaching it from the start
ticketlessinseattle

Cheers for that, yeah enough people whose opinion I share rave about line of duty so i,'ll crack on with it. Thick of It has been on my list for a while, must get to it and will check out the Loop, cheers
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:Black Summer was meh,

Run! Zombies Sprint!
Disagree. That exactly what it would be like. Total chaos
Am watching it currently. It is hilariously terrible. Am watching the episode where the guy finds a fully
stocked supermarket in the middle of a zombie apocalypse that’s been going on weeks. That’s a stroke of luck. Then he somehow manages to alert his zombie nemesis to his whereabouts despite said zombie growling so loudly as to make its own whereabouts known at all times. Said zombie somehow is fooled by a school bus. Plenty of serviceable cars everywhere in the streets.. does he look for keys on house? No he goes to the one piece of shit car that somehow has keys hidden behind the visor. How lucky! But then car won’t start.. oh no!

It’s one of those shows that’s so awful that I’m kind of guiltily enjoying it.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:Bosch was not great, I wonder will they make a spin off for J Edgar.
I really liked Bosch. You’re a heathen and deserve to be cast out from this thread.
Tbf I thought season 4 was far better written, season 5 seemed unbalanced. They tried to ramp it up with the plane thing, the violence was gratuitous, the whole Maddie working with the 'enemy' and everyone cool was bonkers, the Crate and Barrel wasn't done well and J Edgar's needed more work. Season 4 was smarter and tighter. I'm guessing in S6 it's going to be the Chinese he goes after.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

LA to Vegas. Decent comedy just started on Comedy Central.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Tbf I thought season 4 was far better written, season 5 seemed unbalanced. They tried to ramp it up with the plane thing, the violence was gratuitous, the whole Maddie working with the 'enemy' and everyone cool was bonkers, the Crate and Barrel wasn't done well and J Edgar's needed more work. Season 4 was smarter and tighter. I'm guessing in S6 it's going to be the Chinese he goes after.
Also Daisy's killer.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

danny_fitz wrote:Nice little tribute to The Shield here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... e#comments
The Shield is a great show and as they say in the article often unfairly overlooked.

Did the final season everything going crazy before Breaking Bad and better than Breaking Bad.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:anyone watching "Quicksand" ? latest Scandi drama on Netflix ? good cast with plenty of recognisable faces, good reviews but a bit underwhelmed after watching 1st episode.
ps I love Billions !
Watched the first one and thought it was great. Will watch the rest over the weekend.

Tried watching chambers on Netflix but was shite. Switched off about three quarters through the first one.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

The Orville season finale was pretty good. I'm sure a Trekkie who doesn't like it could pick out things ripped off like alternate timelines, but I think it's always been a tribute show.

I liked that there was more comedy in this than in recent episodes. I called the intention of the opening mission as soon as I saw the thing, because it certainly looked like a thing many of us have. :) (But those Kaylon drones were - convenient to the scene - pretty crap at shooting given how they were in the previous episode in which they featured, and later against the rebels.)
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

RuggaBugga wrote:
ticketlessinseattle wrote:anyone watching "Quicksand" ? latest Scandi drama on Netflix ? good cast with plenty of recognisable faces, good reviews but a bit underwhelmed after watching 1st episode.
ps I love Billions !
Watched the first one and thought it was great. Will watch the rest over the weekend.

Tried watching chambers on Netflix but was shite. Switched off about three quarters through the first one.
Netflix's "horror" TV offerings are generally shite

Kingdom, the medieval Korean zombie show has started promisingly though.
panamax

Post by panamax »

probably been discussed already but any thoughts on westworld? trying to find a new good sci fi show but with Abrams as producer i fear it might disappear into its own arse?
naki

Post by naki »

Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

panamax wrote:probably been discussed already but any thoughts on westworld? trying to find a new good sci fi show but with Abrams as producer i fear it might disappear into its own arse?
I like it, but it does disappear up its own arse a bit, but that can't be levelled at Abrams, but the show runners/writers.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

UncleFB wrote:
panamax wrote:probably been discussed already but any thoughts on westworld? trying to find a new good sci fi show but with Abrams as producer i fear it might disappear into its own arse?
I like it, but it does disappear up its own arse a bit, but that can't be levelled at Abrams, but the show runners/writers.
First season was excellent, the second was decidedly meh. When the main protagonist that you are supposed to be rooting for gets so annoying you wished she'd fail in her quest, then you're into serious problems.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

naki wrote:Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw

Yes that episode was the funniest thing I'd seen in years