Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 205  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8056
Jeff the Bear wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
panamax wrote:
probably been discussed already but any thoughts on westworld? trying to find a new good sci fi show but with Abrams as producer i fear it might disappear into its own arse?

I like it, but it does disappear up its own arse a bit, but that can't be levelled at Abrams, but the show runners/writers.


First season was excellent, the second was decidedly meh. When the main protagonist that you are supposed to be rooting for gets so annoying you wished she'd fail in her quest, then you're into serious problems.


me and the Mrs loved Season 1 and binge watched it, one episode into Season 2 and we both decided to not bother anymore.

I note Season 6 of Brooklyn 99 is starting to appear on Channel 4 - Funniest show around at the moment IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Location: Suburgatory
Just started watching a Hulu drama called The Act. Based on a true story and the events that occurred between 2009-15.

Patricia Arquette playing the outrageously manipulative sociopathic mother of a supposedly seriously health stricken child whom she subjects to hideous forms of medicinal and chemical malfeasance. Part Munchausen syndrome but mostly opportunism as the donations, awards and community sympathy pours in.

The acting is impeccable. I expect both lead actors will get noms at least during the next awards season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6958
blindcider wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
panamax wrote:
probably been discussed already but any thoughts on westworld? trying to find a new good sci fi show but with Abrams as producer i fear it might disappear into its own arse?

I like it, but it does disappear up its own arse a bit, but that can't be levelled at Abrams, but the show runners/writers.


First season was excellent, the second was decidedly meh. When the main protagonist that you are supposed to be rooting for gets so annoying you wished she'd fail in her quest, then you're into serious problems.


me and the Mrs loved Season 1 and binge watched it, one episode into Season 2 and we both decided to not bother anymore.

I note Season 6 of Brooklyn 99 is starting to appear on Channel 4 - Funniest show around at the moment IMO.


It is a good return to form - I thought they were losing their touch in season 5. But the first few episodes have been top notch. They have nailed down that 'self aware' comedy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11949
Location: Leafy Surrey, UK
Dead to Me, Netflix - Christina Applegate. very very good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11949
Location: Leafy Surrey, UK
naki wrote:
Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment.


Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12324
naki wrote:
Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw


Started this last night. Very promising so far :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7277
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces
Insane_Homer wrote:
Dead to Me, Netflix - Christina Applegate. very very good.


enjoying it - categorise under something to watch with the missus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 9478
Boxcar Ira wrote:
naki wrote:
Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw


Started this last night. Very promising so far :thumbup:


couldn't go past s1 episode 2 really..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18951
Location: Centre of the Universe
Insane_Homer wrote:
naki wrote:
Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment.


Image


Bald dude seems to be 'Victor Zsasz' from Gotham... (checked, confirmed ... and learned that he has alopecia)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12182
Just started Frankenstein Chronicles morbid but fascinating.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14099
Insane_Homer wrote:
naki wrote:
Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment.


Image Image


That guy is incredible. Funniest mobster since Paulie Walnuts


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7398
Location: FTFT
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33669
OptimisticJock wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.

I can’t agree but we won’t fall out over it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 am
Posts: 1144
Duff Paddy wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.

I can’t agree but we won’t fall out over it


really? It gets a three thumbs up from me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 9478
Moncreif wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.

I can’t agree but we won’t fall out over it


really? It gets a three thumbs up from me.


he was making a joke.. :thumbdown:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37188
Location: Pigdogistan
comets wrote:
Moncreif wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.

I can’t agree but we won’t fall out over it


really? It gets a three thumbs up from me.


he was making a joke.. :thumbdown:


You're genuinely a special case.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am
Posts: 2077
Location: Christchurch NZ
OptimisticJock wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.


Just finished the 1st. Fantastic!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37188
Location: Pigdogistan
Been making my way through Discovery season 2 for the last couple of weeks having started it but then drifting away.
It's certainly a lot more compelling once the new narrative arc of this season gets up and running. I've also acclimatised to the Trek style space, which really bothered me for a bit. Couldn't suspend disbelief enough to just enjoy the silliness. I recently binged through a rewatch of the Expanse, which portrays space as we know it in a much more realistic manner; dark, massive distances, thrust gravity, flip and burn, living in microgravity for extended periods.

There was a fun nod to ToS in episode 8, which showed footage from ToS in the episode recap and then featured the same characters again. Prosthetics, CGI etc were all obviously much better, but recognisably the same aliens.


Question for nerds as I'm not arsed looking it up; where does Discovery fit in the (TV) Trek chronology? Enterprise was first, then Discovery but with some overlap between Discovery and ToS?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7717
Lucifer 4 is out, about to watch it
Been binging it with friend who likes it.
Grew on me, rather than something i liked from the start... dont much like the procedural part of it
Was also used to Ellis as the guy in Miranda just before that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4616
Location: Cape Town
naki wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
naki wrote:
Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment.


Image Image


That guy is incredible. Funniest mobster since Paulie Walnuts


Binged it over the weekend on this recommendation. Thanks, really enjoyed it. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18951
Location: Centre of the Universe
Nolanator wrote:
I recently binged through a rewatch of the Expanse, which portrays space as we know it in a much more realistic manner; dark, massive distances, thrust gravity, flip and burn, living in microgravity for extended periods.



I'm sometimes a bit hesitant to recommend to my library's acquisitions staff things I love because my tastes aren't always for the masses. Being a huge fan of this, though, and seeing that the books were getting checked out by our avid sci-fi nerds, I put in for it and they said they'd get the first one to see how it does. They ended up getting all three and I'm pleased to say they rarely stay on the shelves!

I think in our TV section, there are so many damn mystery series, the dark and porny fantasy shows, and American sitcoms that sci-fi that doesn't look 'Trekkie' has been a welcome change?


... now, do I pitch to them another show I love (though it is a dark mystery) Babylon Berlin? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Location: Suburgatory
Nolanator wrote:
Been making my way through Discovery season 2 for the last couple of weeks having started it but then drifting away.
It's certainly a lot more compelling once the new narrative arc of this season gets up and running. I've also acclimatised to the Trek style space, which really bothered me for a bit. Couldn't suspend disbelief enough to just enjoy the silliness. I recently binged through a rewatch of the Expanse, which portrays space as we know it in a much more realistic manner; dark, massive distances, thrust gravity, flip and burn, living in microgravity for extended periods.

There was a fun nod to ToS in episode 8, which showed footage from ToS in the episode recap and then featured the same characters again. Prosthetics, CGI etc were all obviously much better, but recognisably the same aliens.


Question for nerds as I'm not arsed looking it up; where does Discovery fit in the (TV) Trek chronology? Enterprise was first, then Discovery but with some overlap between Discovery and ToS?


Discovery is set about a century after Enterprise in the TOS timeline. In the reboot timeline it doesn't exist and neither does Pikes turn as original commander of the Enterprise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

No, I'm not a nerd and can take or leave Star Trek tbh. I do really enjoy Discovery tho.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12474
So I watched Traitors recently, it started out promising and then turned to utter shit. Only 6 episodes but needed at least 10 to cover all the various themes and storyline’s it went into in its opening episode. Also tried to be way too edgy which didn’t help the show at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Location: Suburgatory
Really enjoying MotherFatherSon. Richard Gere plays the obsessed billionaire prick incredibly well.

Unfortunately I had to temporarily halt watching it as the missus was away for a month and is yet to catch up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 9478
Nolanator wrote:
comets wrote:
Moncreif wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Just watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl. Very compelling and chilling to boot.

I can’t agree but we won’t fall out over it


really? It gets a three thumbs up from me.


he was making a joke.. :thumbdown:


You're genuinely a special case.


no i think its just shitty to make jokes about actual events like this, cnut.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6796
Another thanks for Barry :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5299
Colony is not bad


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 9478
The new trailer for WATCHMEN tv series looks good .. tick tock .. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053181649/v ... i568507417


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:27 am
Posts: 2376
Nolanator wrote:
Been making my way through Discovery season 2 for the last couple of weeks having started it but then drifting away.
It's certainly a lot more compelling once the new narrative arc of this season gets up and running. I've also acclimatised to the Trek style space, which really bothered me for a bit. Couldn't suspend disbelief enough to just enjoy the silliness. I recently binged through a rewatch of the Expanse, which portrays space as we know it in a much more realistic manner; dark, massive distances, thrust gravity, flip and burn, living in microgravity for extended periods.

There was a fun nod to ToS in episode 8, which showed footage from ToS in the episode recap and then featured the same characters again. Prosthetics, CGI etc were all obviously much better, but recognisably the same aliens.


Question for nerds as I'm not arsed looking it up; where does Discovery fit in the (TV) Trek chronology? Enterprise was first, then Discovery but with some overlap between Discovery and ToS?


Discovery is about 10 years before the start of TOS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7717
Doom Patrol is damn good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm
Posts: 2554
Location: Gogledd Cymru
Watched Chernobyl last night - Really good :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37188
Location: Pigdogistan
Speed Racer wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Been making my way through Discovery season 2 for the last couple of weeks having started it but then drifting away.
It's certainly a lot more compelling once the new narrative arc of this season gets up and running. I've also acclimatised to the Trek style space, which really bothered me for a bit. Couldn't suspend disbelief enough to just enjoy the silliness. I recently binged through a rewatch of the Expanse, which portrays space as we know it in a much more realistic manner; dark, massive distances, thrust gravity, flip and burn, living in microgravity for extended periods.

There was a fun nod to ToS in episode 8, which showed footage from ToS in the episode recap and then featured the same characters again. Prosthetics, CGI etc were all obviously much better, but recognisably the same aliens.


Question for nerds as I'm not arsed looking it up; where does Discovery fit in the (TV) Trek chronology? Enterprise was first, then Discovery but with some overlap between Discovery and ToS?


Discovery is set about a century after Enterprise in the TOS timeline. In the reboot timeline it doesn't exist and neither does Pikes turn as original commander of the Enterprise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek

No, I'm not a nerd and can take or leave Star Trek tbh. I do really enjoy Discovery tho.


Yeah, I know the movie/reboot timeline is completely different.
Pike was captain on Enterprise before Kirk, right? Had a bit of a read around online after that throwback episode. That ToS episode featured a younger Pike when he was captain of the Enterprise and his strange encounters with the psychic aliens and the chick in the minidress. So my understanding is that the events of Discovery take place between that ToS episode and the rest of ToS.
Discovery features a younger Spock, so presumably Discovery and ToS are almost concurrent in places.


Edit,
sturginho wrote:
Discovery is about 10 years before the start of TOS


:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 9478
Cartman wrote:
Doom Patrol is damn good


drags a lot in most episodes its like they are trying to make it run 50mins without putting some effort in content.. the gay storyline is irritating and forced, crazy jane storyline is the best but she is underused and that ex james bond is hardly in it in 2nd season..some fun episodes though, the song in Danny the street episode is great though ..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37188
Location: Pigdogistan
Finished discovery there. The time traveling stuff in the finale was all good fun and they wrapped it up quite well. Setting up the circumstances of Enterprise for ToS nicely.

Apparently there's a season 3 of Discovery in the works, as well as a spin off centred on Michelle Yeoh's character and another Patrick Stewart Picard series.


Fairly milking it while they can.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29046
Location: SOB>Todd
JB1981 wrote:
comets wrote:
watched derry girls, i actually had to turn on subtitles in the first few episodes, no idea what they were saying, are all Irish so hard to understand? lead reminded me of a young Melissa joan hart, pretty funny, GoT guy's every line was funny .oddly enuf the day i finished the series, i heard news of a journalist getting killed exactly where they shot this..odd ..

I liked it and didn't have any issues with the accents. I'm looking forward to the second series.

I tried it there myself since it's on TV a fair bit over here.
Don't see what the fuss is about really, it's fine main stream comedy.
It's also incredibly heavy handed with the nostalgia/soundtrack. Distracting really.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21769
Location: Middle East
Cartman wrote:
Doom Patrol is damn good


It's worth watching. The Umbrella Academy coming out at the same time (but in binge-watching format) was a bit unfortunate, there are a fair few comparisons between them.

The Beard Hunter :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14595
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar
Nolanator wrote:
Finished discovery there. The time traveling stuff in the finale was all good fun and they wrapped it up quite well. Setting up the circumstances of Enterprise for ToS nicely.

Apparently there's a season 3 of Discovery in the works, as well as a spin off centred on Michelle Yeoh's character and another Patrick Stewart Picard series.


Fairly milking it while they can.



CBS is desperate for in-house streaming content for subscriptions. Actual Star Trek fans hate the show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 831
Location: Suburgatory
Hellraiser wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Finished discovery there. The time traveling stuff in the finale was all good fun and they wrapped it up quite well. Setting up the circumstances of Enterprise for ToS nicely.

Apparently there's a season 3 of Discovery in the works, as well as a spin off centred on Michelle Yeoh's character and another Patrick Stewart Picard series.


Fairly milking it while they can.



CBS is desperate for in-house streaming content for subscriptions. Actual Star Trek fans hate the show.


There's probably a strong correlation between arrested mental development as displayed by most fanboys and the Incel movement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37188
Location: Pigdogistan
Hellraiser wrote:
Actual Star Trek fans.

:lol:
fudge off


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29046
Location: SOB>Todd
If this isn't the final season of Handmaid's Tale, surely it goes fully into tasteless territory?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 205  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bimboman, irishrugbyua, kingswood, LandOTurk, Lenny, Liathroidigloine, Mr Mike, puku and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group