The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

All things Rugby
Hellraiser

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Hellraiser »

Speed Racer wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Finished discovery there. The time traveling stuff in the finale was all good fun and they wrapped it up quite well. Setting up the circumstances of Enterprise for ToS nicely.

Apparently there's a season 3 of Discovery in the works, as well as a spin off centred on Michelle Yeoh's character and another Patrick Stewart Picard series.

Fairly milking it while they can.

CBS is desperate for in-house streaming content for subscriptions. Actual Star Trek fans hate the show.
There's probably a strong correlation between arrested mental development as displayed by most fanboys and the Incel movement.

Oh dear.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

Agents of Shield is back today but not in UK till July. And they bitch about people downloading etc.

Passage (Fox) cancelled
Rookie renewed.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Floppykid wrote:If this isn't the final season of Handmaid's Tale, surely it goes fully into tasteless territory?
I'm interested in what you mean by tasteless territory?
Boobs not Moobs

Orville renewed
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Just watched four episodes of a thing, and I use the word advisedly, called Happy on Netflix. I am struggling to describe it. But it's brilliant.

Who Killed Roger Rabbit crossed with Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead, crossed with chemicals.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Well I can't say as a trekie I'm a huge fan of the new show, but the numbers speak for themselves. Apparently Discovery is rating very well. So that's good news.

Good news also that The Orville has got a third season. That's more my style.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

redderneck wrote:Just watched four episodes of a thing, and I use the word advisedly, called Happy on Netflix. I am struggling to describe it. But it's brilliant.

Who Killed Roger Rabbit crossed with Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead, crossed with chemicals.
It got a 2nd season I believe. Maybe being released this year.
comets

Post by comets »

kinda got bored with happy after 6 episodes...dodn't finish s1 and won't be..
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

True Blue wrote:Well I can't say as a trekie I'm a huge fan of the new show, but the numbers speak for themselves. Apparently Discovery is rating very well. So that's good news.

Good news also that The Orville has got a third season. That's more my style.
Orville is great
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

UncleFB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:If this isn't the final season of Handmaid's Tale, surely it goes fully into tasteless territory?
I'm interested in what you mean by tasteless territory?
Let's just say it was verging on gratuitous with season 2, a repeat of things in season 3 is going to be an errr....delicate balancing act.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

OptimisticJock wrote:
redderneck wrote:Just watched four episodes of a thing, and I use the word advisedly, called Happy on Netflix. I am struggling to describe it. But it's brilliant.

It got a 2nd season I believe. Maybe being released this year.
Happy S2 is already playing in the US, you may have a friend who might be able to download the episodes - it's just as manically surreal as the first season, but this time Happy gets a pretty graphic sex scene (yup, the cuddly imaginary flying unicorn)...

Glad to hear that the Rookie and the Orville have been renewed, two of the better bits of tv to have on in the background right now.

I'm sure you'll all be tuning in for the final episode of the Big Bang Theory, if only to witness the end and make sure the stake is well and truly driven through the heart of this show.
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

Turbogoat wrote:
Cartman wrote:Doom Patrol is damn good
It's worth watching. The Umbrella Academy coming out at the same time (but in binge-watching format) was a bit unfortunate, there are a fair few comparisons between them.

The Beard Hunter :lol:
I enjoy Doom Patrol tho after the first two premiere episodes (town disappearing, donkey etc) the amount of needless filler seems to have increased.
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:Agents of Shield is back today but not in UK till July. And they bitch about people downloading etc.

Passage (Fox) cancelled
Rookie renewed.
Bugger. I really enjoyed that show which is an exception as I usually avoid U.S network tv drama product.
comets

Post by comets »

Speed Racer wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:Agents of Shield is back today but not in UK till July. And they bitch about people downloading etc.

Passage (Fox) cancelled
Rookie renewed.
Bugger. I really enjoyed that show which is an exception as I usually avoid U.S network tv drama product.
i didnt; go pass Episode 6, does it get better?, honestly hate the little kid, only the guy from Lost and the vampire lady are the interesting bits..
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

comets wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:

Passage (Fox) cancelled
Rookie renewed.
i didnt; go pass Episode 6, does it get better?, honestly hate the little kid, only the guy from Lost and the vampire lady are the interesting bits..
They did enough decent world building for me to be interested in how it would've made the 100 year jump to the second season.

Tho if I had to choose one show to get a second life somewhere else between The Passage and Counterpart it would be the latter.
J Man

Post by J Man »

deadduck wrote:
naki wrote:Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw

Yes that episode was the funniest thing I'd seen in years
Started watching Barry on Naki's recommendation and love it. Found that episode to be the only disappointing one - different strokes for different folks I guess.
naki

Post by naki »

J Man wrote:
deadduck wrote:
naki wrote:Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw

Yes that episode was the funniest thing I'd seen in years
Started watching Barry on Naki's recommendation and love it. Found that episode to be the only disappointing one - different strokes for different folks I guess.
This is the craziest thing I've read today and that's including looking at twitter :shock:
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Just watched the final episode of Veep - absolute klarse all the way.

Political satire might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's worth it for the human relationships, the emotional rollercoaster ride and the... who am I kidding, it's worth it just for the range of insults. "You monument to vaginal dryness."
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Chernobyl is fantastic :thumbup:
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

I can't believe there are many still watching after that awful time travelling to a destroyed earth nonsense in the last series and the rubbish Ghost Rider section in the series before
Boobs not Moobs

Picard series internationally is going to be on Amazon Prime Video.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

feckwanker wrote:Chernobyl is fantastic :thumbup:
Watched the 2nd Ep last night, Brilliant!
comets

Post by comets »

shame they cancelled whiskey cavalier, kinda felt like a syfy/tbs show so yeah ABC was gonna cancel it even though it had 6m viewers .. SHIELD is back and i have to say its got boring..really expected a few to e be gone vial the thanos snap but alas..they need to put avengers characters in it or it will fail badly by mid season..
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

comets wrote:shame they cancelled whiskey cavalier, kinda felt like a syfy/tbs show so yeah ABC was gonna cancel it even though it had 6m viewers .. SHIELD is back and i have to say its got boring..really expected a few to e be gone vial the thanos snap but alas..they need to put avengers characters in it or it will fail badly by mid season..
I believe AoS is in its final wrap up season anyway, not that I watch it.
Indeedy. Watched the first episode the other day and the level of incompetence was nothing less than staggering.

All those poor bastards watching the pretty colours from the bridge.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

JPNZ wrote:
:thumbup:
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Just watched the 1st series of Fleabag. Awesome show. Waller-Bridge is seriously talented. Looking forward to s02 starting tonight.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Not new or returning, but currently making my way through Limmy's Show. Absolutely love it.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Catch 22 the miniseries is out.
comets

Post by comets »

Turbogoat wrote:Catch 22 the miniseries is out.
first episode or all 6 episodes?
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

All 6. Haven't watched anything other than the trailer yet though.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Insane_Homer wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
:thumbup:
Best thing on TV at the moment IMO :thumbup:
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

Bindi wrote:Just watched the 1st series of Fleabag. Awesome show. Waller-Bridge is seriously talented. Looking forward to s02 starting tonight.
didn't think it was possible, but i enjoyed S2 even more, absolutely amazing, and the end was perfect
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Stefan Golaszewski's (Him&Her) Mum has just returned, and is available as a box set on BBC iPlayer. Outstanding comedy.
easyray

Post by easyray »

George Clooney returns to TV for the adaptation of Joseph Heller’s satirical masterpiece, which airs in the UK later this year. Cloony plays Lieutenant Scheisskopf.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 1558099611
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Spent the last while catching up with Homeland. Watched seasons 4-7 recently. Thought 4-6 we're superb and far better than the first two. Always thought season 3 sucked. Season 7 wasn't great but improved immeasurably towards the end.

Started watching Stranger Things last night. Had never heard of it until I saw the Lego kits popping up on my YouTube Fred so decided to give it a go. :lol:
Speed Racer

Post by Speed Racer »

Watched Chernobyl 1.2 last night.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of dramatic licence taken with the actual onsite efforts, but fudge-me, the incompetence and denial is staggering.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Good Omens kicks off at the end of the month...
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

not sure if I mentioned "undercover" - Belgian series - very good ; also Deep State - season 2 is out, looking forward to watching tonight
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Speed Racer wrote:Watched Chernobyl 1.2 last night.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of dramatic licence taken with the actual onsite efforts, but fudge-me, the incompetence and denial is staggering.

The first two episodes of this have been incredible. I use Chernobyl as a case study for dealing with Acute Radiation Syndrome etc..., so have a fair bit of interest in the incident, the response and the err... fallout.
So many small details that we know of were used in the episodes - the firefighter picking up the piece of graphite and receiving massive burns etc... it's incredible to see it on screen, some of it is exactly how I'd pictured it, other parts show I'd been way off.

Love how they've intertwined the politics of it into the story so we can see how their response unfolded in real time, how suppressing or denying the reality of the situation made it so much worse, while the heroic sacrifice of some of the responders was so cynically exploited.

The snippets at the end with cast and crew are fascinating too, just how they went about creating the show.

Absolutely incredible show.