Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 11:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 63  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:20 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
Kiwias wrote:
A close friend of my wife was diagnosed with cancer 21 days ago, apparently a rare type and one that spreads incredibly fast. She died yesterday at the age of 52 and this has not been good for my wife's depression. We will attend the wake in two days time and must admit I am not looking forward to it.

ER
Wishing you all the best mate in your battle. Kick the evil fucker in the balls once for me and once for my wife.


Will do :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40498
EverReady wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
A close friend of my wife was diagnosed with cancer 21 days ago, apparently a rare type and one that spreads incredibly fast. She died yesterday at the age of 52 and this has not been good for my wife's depression. We will attend the wake in two days time and must admit I am not looking forward to it.

ER
Wishing you all the best mate in your battle. Kick the evil fucker in the balls once for me and once for my wife.


Will do :thumbup:


Good man. Ms. Kiwias wishes you all the best too.

I just checked and her friend had sarcoma.


Last edited by Kiwias on Sun May 26, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7502
EverReady wrote:
Week 2 and a bit in and I can safely say I won't be doing this again. Last weekend had the eldests Communion so they filled me with steroids for the day. What goes up must come down so I crashed like Prince Phillip trying to run over some villagers. Sunday the vomiting picked up and the week was pretty much that until Thursday night and I had a temp of 38.5. Not sure about the system in other countries but here it is a bit shambolic. If I get sick before 6pm I go to my dedicated cancer hospital. After 6pm or weekends I go to any A&E. So they told me from the start 'dont get sick after 6pm' and I didn't oblige. They told me tell A&E you are an oncology patient under Dr X so I thought I would go to A&E and the cancer team would breeze into the reception and whisk me off on a trolley to a special isolation area probably with games and bean bags. Turns out I was wrong. They had me in the waiting area of James's with not one but two prisoners with 6 prison guards and various other drunks and reprobates. Then I got the call after an hour and got brought into a new section where the nurse stabbed me badly for blood and said hopefully we will have a bed soon and put me in a new waiting area. I thought thank fùck those prisone...no sooner had a I thought it the two lads were moved to this tiny area beside me no accompanied by a mental drunk lad in a suit shouting THAT'S IT and OOOOOOHHHHHH :lol: A memory I will treasure. Anyway that was the night- me with a worsening temp and compromised immunity with all the mad bastards of Dublin. At 6am they put me on a trolley and said you have sepsis. Without missing a beat I said after last night I am not surprised. She took the time to explain I had the infection already which was nice. Silver lining was I was transferred to Luke's on Friday and had to be given a private room as I had to be in isolation after James's 8)
Two days in here I appear to have sorted puking my face off during the day and might even stuck my hands down my pants later :thumbup:

Hadn't realised you had gone public, stay strong!
Was checking if Jumper had joined this thread after today's result.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:25 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
Kiwias wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
A close friend of my wife was diagnosed with cancer 21 days ago, apparently a rare type and one that spreads incredibly fast. She died yesterday at the age of 52 and this has not been good for my wife's depression. We will attend the wake in two days time and must admit I am not looking forward to it.

ER
Wishing you all the best mate in your battle. Kick the evil fucker in the balls once for me and once for my wife.


Will do :thumbup:


Good man. Ms. Kiwias wishes you all the best too.

I just checked and her friend had sarcoma.


Here I have that :x :lol:

Thanks LC. Treatment a bit brutal but tipping through it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
EverReady wrote:
My wife was a little 'man uppish' for a few days :lol: Look the treatment is shite but unlike some of the people I am hanging out with the prognosis is good. I am going in and out to a cancer hospital in leafy Rathgar. The serenity is somewhat punctured by the sickness in the walls. The kids I see knocking around are good for any self pity. Actually on the radiotherapy machine they have all stickers for the kids and that gave me a big jolt of man up. They should show me one child each day

We've probably seen eachother when out there ER. :lol:
Good on ya man, that mask is no joke and neither is the radiation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
Shite ER, read on in the thread and see your A&E horror. :uhoh: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:22 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
Floppykid wrote:
EverReady wrote:
My wife was a little 'man uppish' for a few days :lol: Look the treatment is shite but unlike some of the people I am hanging out with the prognosis is good. I am going in and out to a cancer hospital in leafy Rathgar. The serenity is somewhat punctured by the sickness in the walls. The kids I see knocking around are good for any self pity. Actually on the radiotherapy machine they have all stickers for the kids and that gave me a big jolt of man up. They should show me one child each day

We've probably seen eachother when out there ER. :lol:
Good on ya man, that mask is no joke and neither is the radiation.


Have you had it done? Are we mask buddies :o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
EverReady wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
EverReady wrote:
My wife was a little 'man uppish' for a few days :lol: Look the treatment is shite but unlike some of the people I am hanging out with the prognosis is good. I am going in and out to a cancer hospital in leafy Rathgar. The serenity is somewhat punctured by the sickness in the walls. The kids I see knocking around are good for any self pity. Actually on the radiotherapy machine they have all stickers for the kids and that gave me a big jolt of man up. They should show me one child each day

We've probably seen eachother when out there ER. :lol:
Good on ya man, that mask is no joke and neither is the radiation.


Have you had it done? Are we mask buddies :o

You and my mam are mask buddies (don't get any ideas), though it's brain radiation for her.
When she was initially taken in she had to run the James' A&E gauntlet herself.
Some young wan off her head on ket/yokes going mental in the room beside her, stripping all her clothes off and begging for Xanex so she could leave. :lol: :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13514
Best of luck with the treatment ER, go easy on Floppy’s ma.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:05 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
:lol: to both. Is she far in?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
EverReady wrote:
:lol: to both. Is she far in?

She's finished the radiation.
The tumour was removed and then there was a 12 sessions of radiation for this.
She went through a very arduous 5 week radiation and Chemo for her original lung cancer.

They've left if open for highly localised radiation in the surgery cavity at a later date if/when cancerous cells start becoming detectable.
When it's secondary brain cancer treatment's limited unfortunately, chemo is there and ready to go possibly, but for now it's wait/see and hope. (first check in is in a week.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:25 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
Floppykid wrote:
EverReady wrote:
:lol: to both. Is she far in?

She's finished the radiation.
The tumour was removed and then there was a 12 sessions of radiation for this.
She went through a very arduous 5 week radiation and Chemo for her original lung cancer.

They've left if open for highly localised radiation in the surgery cavity at a later date if/when cancerous cells start becoming detectable.
When it's secondary brain cancer treatment's limited unfortunately, chemo is there and ready to go possibly, but for now it's wait/see and hope. (first check in is in a week.)


Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
Thanks man, you too.

For myself I've piled on a shit tonne of weight.
So much so all my jocks are slipping down off my duck arse without a belt to hold them in place.
Saw some recent pictures and I've developed a right set of bangers that even show up through hoodies. :lol:
Without Jezza on anymore I might have a decent excuse to start taking up gym again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:44 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
The stress of that you are allowed get a fat hole for a while


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
I look like a f**king van driver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
EverReady wrote:
The stress of that you are allowed get a fat hole for a while

Oh one thing ER, it might not mean much right now as you're going through it and it may sound glib.
But radiation does work, it significantly reduced my mother's lung tumour to the point where it was operable and cleared off cancerous cells in her lung.
Each patient and case is obviously different, but yeah.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:43 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28663
Floppykid wrote:
EverReady wrote:
The stress of that you are allowed get a fat hole for a while

Oh one thing ER, it might not mean much right now as you're going through it and it may sound glib.
But radiation does work, it significantly reduced my mother's lung tumour to the point where it was operable and cleared off cancerous cells in her lung.
Each patient and case is obviously different, but yeah.


Thanks Floppy. Third of the way through 35 bangs of it so light etc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 7289
EverReady wrote:
My wife was a little 'man uppish' for a few days :lol: Look the treatment is shite but unlike some of the people I am hanging out with the prognosis is good. I am going in and out to a cancer hospital in leafy Rathgar. The serenity is somewhat punctured by the sickness in the walls. The kids I see knocking around are good for any self pity. Actually on the radiotherapy machine they have all stickers for the kids and that gave me a big jolt of man up. They should show me one child each day


That's the main thing really. I spent time in one of those gaffs with very little real danger but others around were in much worse shape. Two room mates much older than me went the other way. Keep in there, you've definitely got the right attitude to get through it. Good luck with it all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14625
Wasn't sure where to post this but needed to vent a bit. Got a message today that a friend of mine was in a serious car crash over in New York, thankfully he survived but 2 of the other passengers were killed. Irish guy and his US wife. Had met them a few times over there and they came to my 30th. Was really shook by the news, really chilled me to the core and feel absolutely awful. My friend has a suspected lacerated liver but he was the best of the 5 occupants of the car, which is something to be thankful for. But I can't help keep thinking if how traumatic it must have been, and this guy is one of life's good guys. Drunk driver apparently.

:((


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28324
Location: SOB>Todd
Bullettyme wrote:
Wasn't sure where to post this but needed to vent a bit. Got a message today that a friend of mine was in a serious car crash over in New York, thankfully he survived but 2 of the other passengers were killed. Irish guy and his US wife. Had met them a few times over there and they came to my 30th. Was really shook by the news, really chilled me to the core and feel absolutely awful. My friend has a suspected lacerated liver but he was the best of the 5 occupants of the car, which is something to be thankful for. But I can't help keep thinking if how traumatic it must have been, and this guy is one of life's good guys. Drunk driver apparently.

:((

Jesus. Senseless tragedy.
Hope your friend makes an ok recovery both physically and mentally over time.
Was his wife in the vehicle?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14625
Sorry might have phrased that wrong. It was an Irish guy from Mayo that died, along with his American wife. They were friends of my friend. Drunk guy was some other driver in his Dodge Ram or something. Doesn't sound like they had much of a chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40498
EverReady wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
A close friend of my wife was diagnosed with cancer 21 days ago, apparently a rare type and one that spreads incredibly fast. She died yesterday at the age of 52 and this has not been good for my wife's depression. We will attend the wake in two days time and must admit I am not looking forward to it.

ER
Wishing you all the best mate in your battle. Kick the evil fucker in the balls once for me and once for my wife.


Will do :thumbup:


Good man. Ms. Kiwias wishes you all the best too.

I just checked and her friend had sarcoma.


Here I have that :x :lol:

Thanks LC. Treatment a bit brutal but tipping through it


Glad to hear the treatment is in progress


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15909
I never thought I would ever post on this thread, but I believe I am experiencing anxiety for the first time.

About three weeks ago, there was a restructure at work. It is temporary restructure that is meant to be for 6 months. My reporting line changed, which means that I am now working away from my old team who are on a different level of the building. I had good relationships with them and always enjoyed their company. I am working next to people in the new team, and although they are nice people, I just don't feel a strong connection with them. I am also working on an important project largely by myself.

After a couple of weeks, I started feeling a sense of loneliness which is an unusual experience for me. Last week I experienced a migraine at work, which was my first migraine in 5 years. I also noticed that I experienced an acute feeling of loneliness when I attended a meeting in which I would usually attend with my old team. It felt like empty holes in my sides. I've kept in daily touch with my team and we exchange personal visits, and these have now become the highlight of my day.

Today, I experienced what can only be described as anxiety. I've never felt that feeling before. It felt like intense pins and needles in my body. I could also feel that my heart rate was up a fraction, and I had to leave the building twice to get some fresh air and try to bring myself back to normal.

I've started increasing my exercise output over the last week, and have started eating better food again. However, I am worried that these negative experiences are going to get worse, rather than better. The project that I am working on is about to amp up in volume and importance over the next few months. I largely enjoy the work, my problems lie with my current social context at work. My sleeping patterns aren't good at the moment, but that can be pretty normal for me anyway.

Next moves at work:

1. I am going to talk to an older guy at work, who has become my mentor and let him know what is going on for me, and see how he thinks I should handle the situation.

2. Following my talk with my mentor, I will also consider explaining the situation to my current manager, and ask if I can be relocated back with my old team but still report back to them for this work. I won't use the word 'anxiety' with her though, I will use softer language and simply say that I've become unhappy working away from my old team.

What are peoples' thoughts on this approach?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 2581
Location: Kirikiriroa
What is your current manager like? Would it be any trouble to put you back to where you where before? This is just a 6 month temp situation that has you working elsewhere right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 5141
Tehui wrote:
I

What are peoples' thoughts on this approach?


very similar to what I'm experiencing. Due to work drying up in the business unit I was in, I jumped to another team where there was an opportunity.

Big gamble as my contract was up and the other 3 team members all work in separate parts of the building.

I miss the banter and I am fairly close by.

Perfectly normal to feel anxious :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15909
Harden up!!! wrote:
What is your current manager like? Would it be any trouble to put you back to where you where before? This is just a 6 month temp situation that has you working elsewhere right?


The manager is good. And my feelings have nothing to do with that person. There may possibly be some trouble me going back to where I was physically, but it's nothing that can't be overcome by regular communication and travel between the floors.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17027
Tehui wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
What is your current manager like? Would it be any trouble to put you back to where you where before? This is just a 6 month temp situation that has you working elsewhere right?


The manager is good. And my feelings have nothing to do with that person. There may possibly be some trouble me going back to where I was physically, but it's nothing that can't be overcome by regular communication and travel between the floors.

Would your new manager (and colleagues) not regard that as a vote against them?

I don't want to sound negative, but could you be storing up trouble for yourself? Even if you can convince them that it isn't the case, there is bound to be a lingering doubt. I think that it has to be very sensitively handled, otherwise you might build up resentment. You may be better off coming clean and describing your state of mind accurately. Perhaps if you go to a doctor and get some kind of formal diagnosis, you can use that to justify wanting to move without raising the suspicion that you might feel that your new workmates are inferior to your old team.

Obviously, I don't know how accurately I have read your situation, so I may be talking absolute kak, but it strikes me that you may need to be aware of the possibility of getting people's backs up, particularly if your circumstances mean that you are a bit of an outsider already.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15909
Rinkals wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
What is your current manager like? Would it be any trouble to put you back to where you where before? This is just a 6 month temp situation that has you working elsewhere right?


The manager is good. And my feelings have nothing to do with that person. There may possibly be some trouble me going back to where I was physically, but it's nothing that can't be overcome by regular communication and travel between the floors.

Would your new manager (and colleagues) not regard that as a vote against them?

I don't want to sound negative, but could you be storing up trouble for yourself? Even if you can convince them that it isn't the case, there is bound to be a lingering doubt. I think that it has to be very sensitively handled, otherwise you might build up resentment. You may be better off coming clean and describing your state of mind accurately. Perhaps if you go to a doctor and get some kind of formal diagnosis, you can use that to justify wanting to move without raising the suspicion that you might feel that your new workmates are inferior to your old team.

Obviously, I don't know how accurately I have read your situation, so I may be talking absolute kak, but it strikes me that you may need to be aware of the possibility of getting people's backs up, particularly if your circumstances mean that you are a bit of an outsider already.


I agree that it would need to be handled sensitively to avoid creating resentment. However, we do work in a place where people 'hot desk' and move around a lot so it's not that unusual.

I've just spend the entire night tossing & turning and I can't get to sleep. I think i better schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've never experienced anything quite like this before.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8237
Tehui wrote:
I agree that it would need to be handled sensitively to avoid creating resentment. However, we do work in a place where people 'hot desk' and move around a lot so it's not that unusual.

I've just spend the entire night tossing & turning and I can't get to sleep. I think i better schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've never experienced anything quite like this before.


I suffer this quite a bit when going through stressful periods at work so I don't think it's that unusual. But seeing your doctor is the smart thing to do as your next step. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40498
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
I agree that it would need to be handled sensitively to avoid creating resentment. However, we do work in a place where people 'hot desk' and move around a lot so it's not that unusual.

I've just spend the entire night tossing & turning and I can't get to sleep. I think i better schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've never experienced anything quite like this before.


I suffer this quite a bit when going through stressful periods at work so I don't think it's that unusual. But seeing your doctor is the smart thing to do as your next step. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup:


This


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 2581
Location: Kirikiriroa
Tehui wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
What is your current manager like? Would it be any trouble to put you back to where you where before? This is just a 6 month temp situation that has you working elsewhere right?


The manager is good. And my feelings have nothing to do with that person. There may possibly be some trouble me going back to where I was physically, but it's nothing that can't be overcome by regular communication and travel between the floors.


Sounds like you have a good plan in place, implement it and good luck, also as has been mentioned a visit to the doctor might be good, check your blood pressure at least.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 1543
Location: From the Hutt bro.
Lost my younger brother just over a week ago, totally unexpected was talking to him on the phone the night before, and have just got back from his funeral down south. He was 51 & had a young family 18 down to 4. Feeling shattered and not sure I've even processed it properly. Having trouble sleeping and have no real will to do anything. Feel selfish posting this as I'm not going through even a tenth of his wife & kids but just needed to type it out I guess.

Our work has EAP so may give them a call when I get back to work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12753
Wignu wrote:
Lost my younger brother just over a week ago, totally unexpected was talking to him on the phone the night before, and have just got back from his funeral down south. He was 51 & had a young family 18 down to 4. Feeling shattered and not sure I've even processed it properly. Having trouble sleeping and have no real will to do anything. Feel selfish posting this as I'm not going through even a tenth of his wife & kids but just needed to type it out I guess.

Our work has EAP so may give them a call when I get back to work.

Sorry for your loss. Don't ever feel guilty for your feelings, especially how you're feeling now mate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8237
Wignu wrote:
Lost my younger brother just over a week ago, totally unexpected was talking to him on the phone the night before, and have just got back from his funeral down south. He was 51 & had a young family 18 down to 4. Feeling shattered and not sure I've even processed it properly. Having trouble sleeping and have no real will to do anything. Feel selfish posting this as I'm not going through even a tenth of his wife & kids but just needed to type it out I guess.

Our work has EAP so may give them a call when I get back to work.


Condolences mate. Nothing selfish about your post at all. Best wishes and may your younger brother RIP.

I lost my little sister in law a couple of years ago and this forum was a great sounding board when I was at my lowest ebb. :(( :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 4834
Location: NZ
Tehui wrote:
I never thought I would ever post on this thread, but I believe I am experiencing anxiety for the first time.

About three weeks ago, there was a restructure at work. It is temporary restructure that is meant to be for 6 months. My reporting line changed, which means that I am now working away from my old team who are on a different level of the building. I had good relationships with them and always enjoyed their company. I am working next to people in the new team, and although they are nice people, I just don't feel a strong connection with them. I am also working on an important project largely by myself.

After a couple of weeks, I started feeling a sense of loneliness which is an unusual experience for me. Last week I experienced a migraine at work, which was my first migraine in 5 years. I also noticed that I experienced an acute feeling of loneliness when I attended a meeting in which I would usually attend with my old team. It felt like empty holes in my sides. I've kept in daily touch with my team and we exchange personal visits, and these have now become the highlight of my day.

Today, I experienced what can only be described as anxiety. I've never felt that feeling before. It felt like intense pins and needles in my body. I could also feel that my heart rate was up a fraction, and I had to leave the building twice to get some fresh air and try to bring myself back to normal.

I've started increasing my exercise output over the last week, and have started eating better food again. However, I am worried that these negative experiences are going to get worse, rather than better. The project that I am working on is about to amp up in volume and importance over the next few months. I largely enjoy the work, my problems lie with my current social context at work. My sleeping patterns aren't good at the moment, but that can be pretty normal for me anyway.

Next moves at work:

1. I am going to talk to an older guy at work, who has become my mentor and let him know what is going on for me, and see how he thinks I should handle the situation.

2. Following my talk with my mentor, I will also consider explaining the situation to my current manager, and ask if I can be relocated back with my old team but still report back to them for this work. I won't use the word 'anxiety' with her though, I will use softer language and simply say that I've become unhappy working away from my old team.

What are peoples' thoughts on this approach?


This is a thing you don't want to be caught up in for too long

Basically you can get caught in a trap of explaining shit to someone who doesn't take in what you are actually doing totally because it is probably legacy (guessing) from the other lot.

I would encourage you to ask whoever the new boss is what others are working on and try to get involved on the side, if poss.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 2581
Location: Kirikiriroa
Wignu wrote:
Lost my younger brother just over a week ago, totally unexpected was talking to him on the phone the night before, and have just got back from his funeral down south. He was 51 & had a young family 18 down to 4. Feeling shattered and not sure I've even processed it properly. Having trouble sleeping and have no real will to do anything. Feel selfish posting this as I'm not going through even a tenth of his wife & kids but just needed to type it out I guess.

Our work has EAP so may give them a call when I get back to work.


Losing a sibling is a very big deal, condolences to your family and yourself, i would be devestated if i lost any of mine, no need to feel guilty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15909
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
I agree that it would need to be handled sensitively to avoid creating resentment. However, we do work in a place where people 'hot desk' and move around a lot so it's not that unusual.

I've just spend the entire night tossing & turning and I can't get to sleep. I think i better schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've never experienced anything quite like this before.


I suffer this quite a bit when going through stressful periods at work so I don't think it's that unusual. But seeing your doctor is the smart thing to do as your next step. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup:


I saw a doctor today who has prescribed me sleep medication. He suspects most of my symptoms are due to major sleep deprivation. I probably mentioned this in an earlier post, but I've been averaging about 1 hour of sleep a day for the last week. He says that sleep deprivation can do some strange things to people. My heart tests came out normal so that was pleasing.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow after a decent sleep. Thanks to everyone for their constructive feedback.


Last edited by Tehui on Tue May 28, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40498
Wignu wrote:
Lost my younger brother just over a week ago, totally unexpected was talking to him on the phone the night before, and have just got back from his funeral down south. He was 51 & had a young family 18 down to 4. Feeling shattered and not sure I've even processed it properly. Having trouble sleeping and have no real will to do anything. Feel selfish posting this as I'm not going through even a tenth of his wife & kids but just needed to type it out I guess.

Our work has EAP so may give them a call when I get back to work.


Condolences, mate. One week does not sound like enough time to process that sort of shock. Be gentle to yourself


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8237
Tehui wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
I agree that it would need to be handled sensitively to avoid creating resentment. However, we do work in a place where people 'hot desk' and move around a lot so it's not that unusual.

I've just spend the entire night tossing & turning and I can't get to sleep. I think i better schedule an appointment with the doctor. I've never experienced anything quite like this before.


I suffer this quite a bit when going through stressful periods at work so I don't think it's that unusual. But seeing your doctor is the smart thing to do as your next step. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup:


I saw a doctor today who has prescribed me sleep medication. He suspects most of my symptoms are due to major sleep deprivation. I probably mentioned this in an earlier post, but I've been averaging about 1 hour of sleep a week for the last week. He says that sleep deprivation can do some strange things to people. My heart tests came out normal so that was pleasing.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow after a decent sleep. Thanks to everyone for their constructive feedback.


:thumbup: Hope it does the trick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11759
Wignu wrote:
Lost my younger brother just over a week ago, totally unexpected was talking to him on the phone the night before, and have just got back from his funeral down south. He was 51 & had a young family 18 down to 4. Feeling shattered and not sure I've even processed it properly. Having trouble sleeping and have no real will to do anything. Feel selfish posting this as I'm not going through even a tenth of his wife & kids but just needed to type it out I guess.

Our work has EAP so may give them a call when I get back to work.


So sorry for your loss.

Make sure you catch up with EAP, never used them myself but friends swear by the benefit they’ve had utilising their expertise.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2498 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 63  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillW, Bing [Bot], Boobs not Moobs, charltom, El Homerino, EverReady, frillage, Gavin Duffy, Google Adsense [Bot], iarmhiman, KnuckleDragger, mdaclarke, Mr Mike, Raggs, Short Man Syndrome, Stevus55, toweliechaos, Vleis and 65 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group