The best new and returning TV series of 2020?

All things Rugby
User avatar
OptimisticJock
Posts: 7398
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: FTFT

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by OptimisticJock »

Turbogoat wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:Watched Chernobyl 1.2 last night.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of dramatic licence taken with the actual onsite efforts, but fuck-me, the incompetence and denial is staggering.



The first two episodes of this have been incredible. I use Chernobyl as a case study for dealing with Acute Radiation Syndrome etc..., so have a fair bit of interest in the incident, the response and the err... fallout.
So many small details that we know of were used in the episodes - the firefighter picking up the piece of graphite and receiving massive burns etc... it's incredible to see it on screen, some of it is exactly how I'd pictured it, other parts show I'd been way off.

Love how they've intertwined the politics of it into the story so we can see how their response unfolded in real time, how suppressing or denying the reality of the situation made it so much worse, while the heroic sacrifice of some of the responders was so cynically exploited.

The snippets at the end with cast and crew are fascinating too, just how they went about creating the show.

Absolutely incredible show.

What? Have I been missing this? Watching on Sky Atlantic are they not showing it or am I turning off too early?

It's good to see it's true to life.

Ulsters Red Hand
Posts: 10101
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Aside from GoT i’ve not been watching much TV... however I see there is a new TV adaptation of His Dark Materials, it looks quite good

Started watching the Umbrella Academy tonight, seems promising if a little quirky

Not long to Stranger Things 3 as well :thumbup:

User avatar
Speed Racer
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Suburgatory

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Speed Racer »

Turbogoat wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:Watched Chernobyl 1.2 last night.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of dramatic licence taken with the actual onsite efforts, but fuck-me, the incompetence and denial is staggering.



The first two episodes of this have been incredible. I use Chernobyl as a case study for dealing with Acute Radiation Syndrome etc..., so have a fair bit of interest in the incident, the response and the err... fallout.
So many small details that we know of were used in the episodes - the firefighter picking up the piece of graphite and receiving massive burns etc... it's incredible to see it on screen, some of it is exactly how I'd pictured it, other parts show I'd been way off.

Love how they've intertwined the politics of it into the story so we can see how their response unfolded in real time, how suppressing or denying the reality of the situation made it so much worse, while the heroic sacrifice of some of the responders was so cynically exploited.

The snippets at the end with cast and crew are fascinating too, just how they went about creating the show.

Absolutely incredible show.


Yeah, I've been watching the addendums. Just as fascinating as the story. When I mentioned dramatic licence, I was referring to how they sketched out the minor characters. I absolutely believe this has been researched to the nth degree.

Carries on like this it's going to be one of my shows of the year.

User avatar
Speed Racer
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Suburgatory

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Speed Racer »

flaggETERNAL wrote:Good Omens kicks off at the end of the month...


Personally I'm waiting for The Expanse and the final season of High Castle to start before I renew my Prime membership.

User avatar
Bindi
Posts: 6923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Plum

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Bindi »

Akkerman wrote:
Bindi wrote:Just watched the 1st series of Fleabag. Awesome show. Waller-Bridge is seriously talented. Looking forward to s02 starting tonight.

didn't think it was possible, but i enjoyed S2 even more, absolutely amazing, and the end was perfect


S02 was awesome. Would rate the show as one of the all time great comedies and, your right, don’t see many endings done that well.

I hear she’s been bought in to sort out the script of the new Bond film - should be great (with Cary Fukunaga from True Detective s01 directing)

User avatar
Turbogoat
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle East

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Turbogoat »

OptimisticJock wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Speed Racer wrote:Watched Chernobyl 1.2 last night.

I'm sure there's a fair amount of dramatic licence taken with the actual onsite efforts, but fuck-me, the incompetence and denial is staggering.



The first two episodes of this have been incredible. I use Chernobyl as a case study for dealing with Acute Radiation Syndrome etc..., so have a fair bit of interest in the incident, the response and the err... fallout.
So many small details that we know of were used in the episodes - the firefighter picking up the piece of graphite and receiving massive burns etc... it's incredible to see it on screen, some of it is exactly how I'd pictured it, other parts show I'd been way off.

Love how they've intertwined the politics of it into the story so we can see how their response unfolded in real time, how suppressing or denying the reality of the situation made it so much worse, while the heroic sacrifice of some of the responders was so cynically exploited.

The snippets at the end with cast and crew are fascinating too, just how they went about creating the show.

Absolutely incredible show.

What? Have I been missing this? Watching on Sky Atlantic are they not showing it or am I turning off too early?

It's good to see it's true to life.


My friend tends to torrent all the tv shows, the last few minutes of each episode on there were cast and crew interviews, it'd be a shame if your TV provider wasn't showing them, they're a great addition.

User avatar
Beaver_Shark
Posts: 5594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mzansi

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Beaver_Shark »

So I chanced upon Barry having accidentally opened this thread about 2 weeks ago.

Wow! :nod: :thumbup: :thumbup:

User avatar
Margin_Walker
Posts: 12929
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Margin_Walker »

Turbogoat wrote:Catch 22 the miniseries is out.


Rattled through it all this week.

Not perfect, but actually much better than I expected given the mixed reviews. Yossarian and Milo were well cast and it packs a punch.

User avatar
Margin_Walker
Posts: 12929
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Margin_Walker »

Akkerman wrote:
Bindi wrote:Just watched the 1st series of Fleabag. Awesome show. Waller-Bridge is seriously talented. Looking forward to s02 starting tonight.

didn't think it was possible, but i enjoyed S2 even more, absolutely amazing, and the end was perfect


+1

The whole show was so well written. She hit it out of the park.

User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 33880
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Duff Paddy »

Leinsterman wrote:Spent the last while catching up with Homeland. Watched seasons 4-7 recently. Thought 4-6 we're superb and far better than the first two. Always thought season 3 sucked. Season 7 wasn't great but improved immeasurably towards the end.

Started watching Stranger Things last night. Had never heard of it until I saw the Lego kits popping up on my YouTube Fred so decided to give it a go. :lol:


Homeland is one of my top box sets. Yes it can be very up and down but some of the storylines are absolutely brilliant. Really like the way the later seasons explore the alt right and Russian social media manipulation and fake news. Superb stuff - Carrie is great as the flawed protagonist, absolutely nails bipolar too

User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 8640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Leinsterman »

Shame about Quinn.
As for Dar Adal, what a brilliant portrayal by F Murray Abraham but the character he plays is vile.

User avatar
Beaver_Shark
Posts: 5594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mzansi

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night.

Now as someone who's spent over a decade working at various power plants I found it particularly harrowing.

User avatar
Joost
Posts: 4107
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Joost »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Spent the last while catching up with Homeland. Watched seasons 4-7 recently. Thought 4-6 we're superb and far better than the first two. Always thought season 3 sucked. Season 7 wasn't great but improved immeasurably towards the end.

Started watching Stranger Things last night. Had never heard of it until I saw the Lego kits popping up on my YouTube Fred so decided to give it a go. :lol:


Homeland is one of my top box sets. Yes it can be very up and down but some of the storylines are absolutely brilliant. Really like the way the later seasons explore the alt right and Russian social media manipulation and fake news. Superb stuff - Carrie is great as the flawed protagonist, absolutely nails bipolar too


The series have always been very good at mirroring the contemporary security/political situation, to the point where you could easily believe most of the story lines.

Though they obviously assumed that Hilary Clinton was going to be elected, based on the last 2 series!

Brazil
Posts: 8107
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Brazil »

Beaver_Shark wrote:Watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night.

Now as someone who's spent over a decade working at various power plants I found it particularly harrowing.


Episode 3 is harrowing, to say the least. Somewhat naively, I hadn't realised that was what acute radiation poisoning did to you.

User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 11876
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by danny_fitz »

Beaver_Shark wrote:Watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night.

Now as someone who's spent over a decade working at various power plants I found it particularly harrowing.


It was filmed at a decommissioned plant Lithuania that was of similar design to Chernobyl (an RBMK nuclear power reactor). Must have been a bit twitchy for the locals until it was shutdown in 2009

Nolanator
Posts: 37413
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Pigdogistan

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Nolanator »

Where are people watching Chernobyl?

Brazil
Posts: 8107
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Brazil »

Nolanator wrote:Where are people watching Chernobyl?


In the living room.

Nolanator
Posts: 37413
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Pigdogistan

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Nolanator »

I deserved that. What service provider? Netflix? Regular TV stations? A friend acquiring it?

User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 11876
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by danny_fitz »

Brazil wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Where are people watching Chernobyl?


In the living room.


Just don't be watching it on the sofa in your boxer shorts as Chernobyl fall out.

Nolanator
Posts: 37413
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Pigdogistan

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Nolanator »

:lol:

ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 7437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Nolanator wrote:Where are people watching Chernobyl?


Sky Atlantic - saving it.
Just watched 1st episode Season 2 of Deep State - enjoyable ; not as good as Homeland but up there...although a lot of that is down to looking at Karima McAdams - she's feckin gorgeous - plus Walton Goggins as a CIA head having watched him in Vice Principals is entertaining.

User avatar
sorCrer
Posts: 12195
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by sorCrer »

danny_fitz wrote:
Brazil wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Where are people watching Chernobyl?


In the living room.


Just don't be watching it on the sofa in your boxer shorts as Chernobyl fall out.


:lol: :blush: Should be put into the stocks for that.

User avatar
Turbogoat
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle East

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Turbogoat »

Nolanator wrote:Where are people watching Chernobyl?



This would be very wrong to check out and you shouldn't click on that link at all.

User avatar
Turbogoat
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle East

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Turbogoat »

danny_fitz wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:Watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night.

Now as someone who's spent over a decade working at various power plants I found it particularly harrowing.


It was filmed at a decommissioned plant Lithuania that was of similar design to Chernobyl (an RBMK nuclear power reactor). Must have been a bit twitchy for the locals until it was shutdown in 2009



Thought they'd done a particularly authentic job in set design. :thumbup:


User avatar
El Homerino
Posts: 3276
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Running from the Baby-faced Baby-eater

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by El Homerino »

naki wrote:
J Man wrote:
deadduck wrote:
naki wrote:Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw



Yes that episode was the funniest thing I'd seen in years


Started watching Barry on Naki's recommendation and love it. Found that episode to be the only disappointing one - different strokes for different folks I guess.


This is the craziest thing I've read today and that's including looking at twitter :shock:



Was this the episode with the young kung fu girl??? That was crazy funny mental all in one haha

User avatar
naki
Posts: 14184
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by naki »

El Homerino wrote:
naki wrote:
J Man wrote:
deadduck wrote:
naki wrote:Another plug for Barry, hands down the most entertaining half hour you’ll see on tv at the moment. This latest episode was the best one yet. HBO really know how to build a show’s momentum.

A good breakdown of it’s virtues here;

https://youtu.be/-xZFQjeZwaw



Yes that episode was the funniest thing I'd seen in years


Started watching Barry on Naki's recommendation and love it. Found that episode to be the only disappointing one - different strokes for different folks I guess.


This is the craziest thing I've read today and that's including looking at twitter :shock:



Was this the episode with the young kung fu girl??? That was crazy funny mental all in one haha


Yes, the high point of the series so far.

Saw the final episode of the season last night. Doing a great job of balancing genuine humour with tar dark violence, good to see they’ve been renewed for a third season

User avatar
Kid A
Posts: 4626
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Cian Healy's attic

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Kid A »

On Episode 8 of Gomorrah (4th season) - it's all kicking off.

User avatar
Turbogoat
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle East

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Turbogoat »

Ep03 of Chernobyl sets a new standard grimness. The Radiation injuries are pretty damn realistic, especially the time frame as they don't show immediately, but if you want to really recoil in horror, googling the real life pics of Hisashi Ouchi (yes, that's his real name) will show just how much worse it can get... don't view while eating. x(

Inch high hogs eye
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Kid A wrote:On Episode 8 of Gomorrah (4th season) - it's all kicking off.


Thought it became a bit of a parody of itself by season 4, sadly. Soapier than a Babs Windsor bath-time tit wank.

User avatar
Balls Out!
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Boston, London, Quarantine

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Balls Out! »

Kid A wrote:On Episode 8 of Gomorrah (4th season) - it's all kicking off.
Inch high hogs eye wrote:
Kid A wrote:On Episode 8 of Gomorrah (4th season) - it's all kicking off.


Thought it became a bit of a parody of itself by season 4, sadly. Soapier than a Babs Windsor bath-time tit wank.
Wait... I didn't think it had aired on English-speaking TV yet? So, assuming, er, your friend is watching a less-than-legit copy... has it got homemade subtitles, or are you chaps just fluent in Italian?

I'm about 4 episodes into S3 myself

User avatar
Akkerman
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Europe

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Akkerman »

depends the country, it's already on some streaming services

i'm pretty fluent in italian, but i really can't watch it without subtitles, that naples dialect is something else

User avatar
Balls Out!
Posts: 758
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Boston, London, Quarantine

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Balls Out! »

Akkerman wrote:depends the country, it's already on some streaming services
thanks. Can you name a country and service? I have access to most UK and US stuff, but it isn't available on any of their (legal) services that I could see from JustWatch. I can maybe get creative with VPNs to access other countries

User avatar
Akkerman
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Europe

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Akkerman »

i saw all season available on hbo go romania (english subtitles available) as i was passing by last month, i guess you need a local ip and there's a free 1 month trial

Inch high hogs eye
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Balls Out! wrote:
Kid A wrote:On Episode 8 of Gomorrah (4th season) - it's all kicking off.
Inch high hogs eye wrote:
Kid A wrote:On Episode 8 of Gomorrah (4th season) - it's all kicking off.


Thought it became a bit of a parody of itself by season 4, sadly. Soapier than a Babs Windsor bath-time tit wank.
Wait... I didn't think it had aired on English-speaking TV yet? So, assuming, er, your friend is watching a less-than-legit copy... has it got homemade subtitles, or are you chaps just fluent in Italian?

I'm about 4 episodes into S3 myself


I meant season 3 :blush:

User avatar
Leinsterman
Posts: 8640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Leinsterman »

Watching Chernobyl at the moment. One review said it perfectly captured the sense of impending doom and dread. I can testify to that. Very tense to watch.

User avatar
True Blue
Posts: 11856
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by True Blue »

I've watched the first two episodes. It's great. Very well presented.

User avatar
Speed Racer
Posts: 831
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Suburgatory

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by Speed Racer »

Turbogoat wrote:Ep03 of Chernobyl sets a new standard grimness. The Radiation injuries are pretty damn realistic, especially the time frame as they don't show immediately, but if you want to really recoil in horror, googling the real life pics of Hisashi Ouchi (yes, that's his real name) will show just how much worse it can get... don't view while eating. x(


Yeah. Watched it over the weekend. OMFG! The firey who was in the final stages looked like a living breathing figure from one of those ghoulish human taxidermy exhibitions that tour about. Stripped to the muscle.

So easy to place judgement on people like his wife whose natural inclination is to try to hold and comfort him, and you're just thinking "jesus you dumb bitch", but you also know it's simply not her fault. The intransigence of the State in telling the public and those affected absolutely nothing including precautions.

I listened to an interview with Jared Harris on the most recent Empire Magazine podcast over the weekend and apparently the final episode is a play by play breakdown of the actual clusterfuck on the night.

Just an incredible show. Structured perfectly, like a true life detective story that we all know how it ends but is absolutely gripping from start to finish.

User avatar
JPNZ
Posts: 2157
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:58 am
Location: Christchurch NZ

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by JPNZ »

Speed Racer wrote:Yeah. Watched it over the weekend. OMFG! The firey who was in the final stages looked like a living breathing figure from one of those ghoulish human taxidermy exhibitions that tour about. Stripped to the muscle.

So easy to place judgement on people like his wife whose natural inclination is to try to hold and comfort him, and you're just thinking "jesus you dumb bitch", but you also know it's simply not her fault. The intransigence of the State in telling the public and those affected absolutely nothing including precautions.

I listened to an interview with Jared Harris on the most recent Empire Magazine podcast over the weekend and apparently the final episode is a play by play breakdown of the actual clusterfuck on the night.

Just an incredible show. Structured perfectly, like a true life detective story that we all know how it ends but is absolutely gripping from start to finish.


Just finished EP4, the final indeed is the full breakdown and court investigation into what went on. The use of bio-robots just insane. Incredible TV show that deserves all the plaudits its getting

User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 11876
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The best new and returning TV series of 2019?

Post by danny_fitz »

Speed Racer wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:Ep03 of Chernobyl sets a new standard grimness. The Radiation injuries are pretty damn realistic, especially the time frame as they don't show immediately, but if you want to really recoil in horror, googling the real life pics of Hisashi Ouchi (yes, that's his real name) will show just how much worse it can get... don't view while eating. x(


Yeah. Watched it over the weekend. OMFG! The firey who was in the final stages looked like a living breathing figure from one of those ghoulish human taxidermy exhibitions that tour about. Stripped to the muscle.

So easy to place judgement on people like his wife whose natural inclination is to try to hold and comfort him, and you're just thinking "jesus you dumb bitch", but you also know it's simply not her fault. The intransigence of the State in telling the public and those affected absolutely nothing including precautions.

I listened to an interview with Jared Harris on the most recent Empire Magazine podcast over the weekend and apparently the final episode is a play by play breakdown of the actual clusterfuck on the night.

Just an incredible show. Structured perfectly, like a true life detective story that we all know how it ends but is absolutely gripping from start to finish.


The level of arse covering is a sight to behold.

The bit where they are trying to pass off the radiation risk as the equivalent of a chest x-ray and them using the maxed out reading of a low level detector as the 'official' figure in the report is staggering.

Locked