Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
Just always wondered.


Apologies if a stupid question and it makes me look thick.......Well thicker than I already look.

Westminster Abbey is the same size as a cathedral, so she can't be willy wave


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17493
Dark wrote:
Just always wondered.


Apologies if a stupid question and it makes me look thick.......Well thicker than I already look.

Westminster Abbey is the same size as a cathedral, so she can't be willy wave


I think an abbey is used by monks or nuns, whereas a cathedral is just a big church.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Dark wrote:
Just always wondered.


Apologies if a stupid question and it makes me look thick.......Well thicker than I already look.

Westminster Abbey is the same size as a cathedral, so she can't be willy wave


I think an abbey is used by monks or nuns, whereas a cathedral is just a big church.



One of the hottest woman I ever meet was a nun

Slightly off topic, but changed the way I looked at the human condition


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6794
If only we could just type in the question to a browser and get an answer. :nod:

A cathedral is the seat of power for a bishop. Abbeys are for rebellious orders.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3241
Image

One of my favs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
kiwinoz wrote:
If only we could just type in the question to a browser and get an answer. :nod:

A cathedral is the seat of power for a bishop. Abbeys are for rebellious orders.


Sorry. Me no get. Abbey's have Bishops (I think)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6859
Location: Plum
Dark, please consolidate all the bored spamming into one shit thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
Bindi wrote:
Dark, please consolidate all the bored spamming into one shit thread.




To you this thread maybe boring. To me it is just another integral part of what makes up the humongous tapestry of what we know as life and humanity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6794
Dark wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
If only we could just type in the question to a browser and get an answer. :nod:

A cathedral is the seat of power for a bishop. Abbeys are for rebellious orders.


Sorry. Me no get. Abbey's have Bishops (I think)


Quote:
Abbey
An abbey is a complex of buildings used by members of a religious order under the governance of an abbot or abbess. It provides a place for religious activities, work, and housing of Christian monks and nuns.


Quote:
Cathedral
A cathedral is a church that contains the cathedra of a bishop, thus serving as the central church of a diocese, conference, or episcopate. Churches with the function of "cathedral" are usually specific to those Christian denominations with an episcopal hierarchy, such as the Catholic, Anglican, Eastern Orthodox, and some Lutheran churches


Differences: show
Quote:
Idiot
An idiot, dolt, dullard or mome, in modern use, is a stupid or foolish person. It was formerly a technical term in legal and psychiatric contexts for some kinds of profound intellectual disability where the mental age is two years or less, and the person cannot guard himself or herself against common physical dangers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8848
Location: Sydney Town
....AND an Arch Cathedral is the seat of power for an Archbishop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
Westminster Abbey has shedloads of bishops buried in it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16216
Location: Haunting your dreams
Dark obviously never got over the demise of Ask Jeeves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
Zakar wrote:
Dark obviously never got over the demise of Ask Jeeves.



Is this fricken shit on Dark day or something?

Yes I am dim and don't know what the difference is.

No you can't tell me given Abbeys have bishops


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 am
Posts: 1746
Dark wrote:
Westminster Abbey has shedloads of bishops buried in it

Pre-reformation the head dude was an Abbot
Post-reformation the head dude has been a Dean (with one exception)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbot_of_Westminster

Ken Follett's novel "The Pillars of the Earth", while a bit long, is quite good on the subject pre-reformation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11980
Bindi wrote:
Dark, please consolidate all the bored spamming into one shit thread.


TMAB will TMAB. x(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4142
I thought he was setting up for a joke, and the punchline was: "you can't fingerbang a Cathedral".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17493
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
I thought he was setting up for a joke, and the punchline was: "you can't fingerbang a Cathedral".


Especially when he started talking about burying the bishop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 5091
Location: NZ
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
I thought he was setting up for a joke, and the punchline was: "you can't fingerbang a Cathedral".


Especially when he started talking about burying the bishop.


Wimpiest piece on a chess board. FACT

Even a pawn has bigger guns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7700
There are many pretty women called Abbey, never met one called Cathedral, although if Mr and Mrs Edral had a daughter Catherine, it would be possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm
Posts: 15389
Dark wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
I thought he was setting up for a joke, and the punchline was: "you can't fingerbang a Cathedral".


Especially when he started talking about burying the bishop.


Wimpiest piece on a chess board. FACT

Even a pawn has bigger guns


It’s a fücking beast on the seventh rank when supported by a pawn.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 10159
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)
Dark wrote:
Westminster Abbey has shedloads of bishops buried in it


I love the phrase 'shed loads' and use it whenever I can


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23038
Frodder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Westminster Abbey has shedloads of bishops buried in it


I love the phrase 'shed loads' and use it whenever I can

It's a pity you're a lorry driver


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21421
The correct answer is “Globus never designed the logo for a Cathedral”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 10159
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)
happyhooker wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Dark wrote:
Westminster Abbey has shedloads of bishops buried in it


I love the phrase 'shed loads' and use it whenever I can

It's a pity you're a lorry driver


I like you Double H. You're human interface for the metropolitan, London based, Liberal elite


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7700
I've always assumed that a shed load is a load that has been shed from the back of a lorry, but it also crossed my mind that it could be a load that would fill a shed, which in the case of beer can would be a lot of beer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28494
Location: Chickenrunning...
backrow wrote:
The correct answer is “Globus never designed the logo for a Cathedral”

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28494
Location: Chickenrunning...
Gwenno wrote:
I've always assumed that a shed load is a load that has been shed from the back of a lorry, but it also crossed my mind that it could be a load that would fill a shed, which in the case of beer can would be a lot of beer.

The latter definition is the one I use. Ie shed-load rather than shed load


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11242
Any jokes about chip monks and deep fat friars?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 4936
One of them is a magnet for Russian tourists?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23038
lorcanoworms wrote:
Any jokes about chip monks and deep fat friars?

Ah, the priest who works at McDonald's


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 303
When in doubt ask a neighbour who is a retired bishop!

He came back with:

An abbey is a group of many minor buildings, a cathedral is a single, usually large and ornate, church building. A cathedral usually has a throne for the presiding Bishop.
An abbey is conducted under an abbess or an abbot while a cathedral is conducted under the denomination with an episcopal hierarchy.
An abbey is a place for nuns, monks and priests to live and worship whereas a cathedral is solely a place of worship.

He also said "Google is your friend", and "there used to be more debauchery in abbeys" :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4052
Westminster Abbey hasn't been an Abbey since Elizabeth I's time. Since then it's been a Collegiate Church.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18944
Location: Centre of the Universe
Dark wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Dark wrote:
Just always wondered.


Apologies if a stupid question and it makes me look thick.......Well thicker than I already look.

Westminster Abbey is the same size as a cathedral, so she can't be willy wave


I think an abbey is used by monks or nuns, whereas a cathedral is just a big church.



One of the hottest woman I ever meet was a nun

Slightly off topic, but changed the way I looked at the human condition



Actress Dolores Hart (who had a love scene with Elvis in a movie) became a nun not too long after ... maybe not the 'hottest', but a good looking woman who became a nun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4027
Mahoney wrote:
Westminster Abbey hasn't been an Abbey since Elizabeth I's time. Since then it's been a Collegiate Church.


It is also a Royal Peculier


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 18536
One is full of happy and gay bishops. The other is full of happy and gay bishops!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChipSpike, dburns1991, earl the beaver, juddy, Luckycharmer, puku, Snooze, Spyglass, topofthemoon and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group