Chat Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 201  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:29 pm 

Keith Wood cameo as a bouncer in the latest Picard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:55 am 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Keith Wood cameo as a bouncer in the latest Picard.

speaking lines?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:16 am 

Star Trek Picard is fucken depressing to me. Graphic torture, blatant murder from good characters.....shit, wasn't Trek supposed to be uplifting and upbeat about the future? It's almost dystopian at this point.

Saying that, the latest episode was certainly watchable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am 

True Blue wrote:
Star Trek Picard is fucken depressing to me. Graphic torture, blatant murder from good characters.....shit, wasn't Trek supposed to be uplifting and upbeat about the future? It's almost dystopian at this point.

You hate Star Wars, yet you watch Star Trek?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:16 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
True Blue wrote:

You hate Star Wars, yet you watch Star Trek?

Yes? Is that unusual? Star Trek has always been more sci-fi whereas Star Wars is just a Space Fantasy/adventure with magic. THey're not even the same genre.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:57 pm 

I think there’s enough mystic/mind power stuff in the Star Trek universe as well. I get that one started as a low budget tv series but Star Trek aliens, spaceships and weaponry paled in comparison to Star Destroyers, Slave I, Millennium Falcon, Droids, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Vader, Wookiees... incredibly in-depth universe as well. While I have liked some Trek movies, all too budget looking on the design front for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Finished Narcos, definitely going to watch El Chapo now.
What was the deal with a name being occasionally bleeped out and not showing in the subtitles? Someone in government I think.

Finished Narcos today, brilliant piece of TV. Loved Pablo Acostas story, and Scoot McNairy was brilliant throughout - chap just looks like he's been through the wars.

Thought that bleeping thing was weird too, considering they name a former president as fraudulent and corrupt. Maybe it's a portmanteau of various politicians. That whole history of Mexico and the PRI was fascinating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:03 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Finished Narcos, definitely going to watch El Chapo now.
What was the deal with a name being occasionally bleeped out and not showing in the subtitles? Someone in government I think.

Finished Narcos today, brilliant piece of TV. Loved Pablo Acostas story, and Scoot McNairy was brilliant throughout - chap just looks like he's been through the wars.

Thought that bleeping thing was weird too, considering they name a former president as fraudulent and corrupt. Maybe it's a portmanteau of various politicians. That whole history of Mexico and the PRI was fascinating.

Acosta's story seemed a bit ridiculous, but is pretty much verbatim, from what I can tell.

Amado Carrillo Fuentes appeared in the Colombian Narcos series, didn't he? I feel like he was in season 2 when Escobar was opening new supply routes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 am 

Amado was in S3, good character I thought. Amazing how the writers make these complete scumbags somewhat sympathetic :lol:

Also one scene I loved, when Felix meets Pacho in Panama. Such a tense scene and episode. The whole season was basically just Felix stress smoking (Walt too).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:36 am 

Of course it was season 3. The Mexican cartels only for involved with the Cali guys.

Serious amount of tension in most of what Felix does. Just ten episodes of shit hitting the fan and him trying to swindle his way around it all.
That final meeting around the table was brilliantly done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:50 am 

blindcider wrote:
Just binge watched both series of Titans. Didn't expect to get hooked as I only started it as there was nothing else I fancied watching (didn't fancy starting something new to me of many series) but I did get hooked. I like the fact that they don't explain everything but hint at things that get explained elsewhere.

Sir Friendzone as Bruce Wayne the main WTF point for me

Titans is about as pure DC as you can get. Pretty dark but with some.humour thrown in. Finally a decent DC series.
Far superior to Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.
Only thing close to it is Teen Titans Go.

As far as DC villains go, Deathstroke is definitely one of my favourites

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:05 am 

mr bungle wrote:
I think there’s enough mystic/mind power stuff in the Star Trek universe as well. I get that one started as a low budget tv series but Star Trek aliens, spaceships and weaponry paled in comparison to Star Destroyers, Slave I, Millennium Falcon, Droids, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Vader, Wookiees... incredibly in-depth universe as well. While I have liked some Trek movies, all too budget looking on the design front for me.

Movies? Star Trek is a TV show, most of the movies are just popcorn stuff. Fun but the meat was in the tv shows. At its best Star Trek really makes you ponder stuff and has strong ties to current social issues. Star Wars is just a space western. Nothing wrong with that, I enjoyed the Mandalorian greatly and would rate it well above Star Trek: Picard crap, but the pre-2010s Star Trek is clearly not the same type of genre as Star Wars. So I don't find it weird someone can like one and not the other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am 

Better call Saul season 5 EP1 is out, so damn good to be back. EP2 is out tomorrow and AMC just signed it on for a 6th season 13 ep finale (one more than breaking bad) sounds like its almost going full circle into the start of BB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am 

JPNZ wrote:
Better call Saul season 5 EP1 is out, so damn good to be back. EP2 is out tomorrow and AMC just signed it on for a 6th season 13 ep finale (one more than breaking bad) sounds like its almost going full circle into the start of BB.

Sounds great. Will wait until all episodes are released before I start with the latest season.

As it has been a while, this channel is quite good for getting up to date again with what happened in the previous seasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jr33FcB9lA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:21 pm 

Having massively enjoyed Season 1 of Kidding, S02 is not disappointing either.

There's really nothing like it out there, as a brilliantly acted and scripted tragi-comedy with free rein to go a bit nuts. Jim Carrey is just brilliant as the ticking timebomb - 9 parts altruistic saint to 1 part psycho. The whole cast is great, it's a visual treat, never stale or boring. Really recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:10 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Just binge watched both series of Titans. Didn't expect to get hooked as I only started it as there was nothing else I fancied watching (didn't fancy starting something new to me of many series) but I did get hooked. I like the fact that they don't explain everything but hint at things that get explained elsewhere.

Titans is about as pure DC as you can get. Pretty dark but with some.humour thrown in. Finally a decent DC series.

Season 2 was a big giant mess. I loved season 1, but season 2 was all over the shop.
They did Deathstroke well, but apart from that, can't say I liked much about it.
Too many characters and not enough time to put into them. Super dog :thumbdown:
Some of the worst CGI I've seen in modern times when capping off the story arc of season 1, which they did incredibly poorly.

Is Doom Patrol worth a watch?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:11 pm 

Oh - and two episodes into latest Curb Your Enthusiasm. Brilliant again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm 

Altered Carbon season 2 is here.
I really like: Hunters
And on the light side: I'm not ok with this, is entertaining ( 7 ep x 25 minutes)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
blindcider wrote:

I quite enjoyed Legends of Tomorrow, rest of the Arrowverse stuff i found pretty bland - Its the sort of thing I watch when on the turbo trainer, minimal attention required but takes your mind off the monotony of Turboing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:06 pm 

Captain Average wrote:

yup, think I'm about 4 episodes in - brilliant as ever - funny as fcuk to watch but christ you'd punch the shit out of him if you ever had to actually deal with him

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:33 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Captain Average wrote:

yup, think I'm about 4 episodes in - brilliant as ever - funny as fcuk to watch but christ you'd punch the shit out of him if you ever had to actually deal with him

It's magnificently awful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:48 pm 

Brazil wrote:
ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Captain Average wrote:

It's magnificently awful.

I once stopped watching an episode because he was wrecking my head so much......picked up the following night and laughed my arse off

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 pm 

I recently started watching The Windsors on Netflix.
F**king hilarious :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:13 pm 

lexpat wrote:
Altered Carbon season 2 is here.
I really like: Hunters
And on the light side: I'm not ok with this, is entertaining ( 7 ep x 25 minutes)

Watched it all last night, interested to see where they go with it. I liked how snarky the main character was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:27 am 

Got 1 more episode to go on The Stranger. Not a bad show for a 'turn your brain off' type thing. Lots of stupid decisions from characters which is annoying, but I guess that people making good decisions would make a boring show.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 pm 

Alerted Carbon season 2 seems to be an adaptation of book 3, Women Furies. I'd been hoping it would be book 2, Broken Angels. Get some good space marine stuff going on, ancient aliens and dead starships etc.

Only a couple of episodes in, we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:52 pm 

Woken furies is a good book

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:31 pm 

It is, but they've taken serious artistic liberties with the source material. The main plot points seem to be there, though.
No rogue AI tech though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 pm 

Thought I'd check out the Righteous Gemstones.

Pretty good fun actually. Sleazy Danny McBride is good Danny McBride.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 am 

Nolanator wrote:
It is, but they've taken serious artistic liberties with the source material. The main plot points seem to be there, though.
No rogue AI tech though.

TBH, it was the same with Altered Carbon.

Enjoyable but not a patch on the real Kovacs!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:41 am 

Wanted something that was mainly verbal, not action, so I've been binging Suits. It's not bad. It's no Good Wife, though Season 4 lacks humour.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Wanted something that was mainly verbal, not action, so I've been binging Suits. It's not bad. It's no Good Wife, though Season 4 lacks humour.

Suits early seasons are a great watch, and the totty is beyond compare. Its gets old watching the same basic plotlines after a while. Quite similar to House in that way imo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:05 am 

Finished watching 2nd season of The Split on BBC, very watchable.
Pretty much a show full of dislikable characters though, and the totty ain’t great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:10 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:
Thought I'd check out the Righteous Gemstones.

Pretty good fun actually. Sleazy Danny McBride is good Danny McBride.

Edi Patterson is the funniest/best thing in it. Her character has all the best lines imo.

I could normally watch Danny McBride all day, but the show had such a terrible lack of stakes or momentum for me.
It seems they'd deviate from what was the core issue of the show and it just diluted everything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:24 pm 

Not really revealing any plot here, but technically speaking Tales from the Loop looks good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htuNZp82Ck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:51 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
No rogue AI tech though.

TBH, it was the same with Altered Carbon.

Enjoyable but not a patch on the real Kovacs!

Finished it there. Altered Carbon was closer to the book, with the main changes being to the characters of Quel and Rayleen Kowahara. This had only a passing resemblance to Woken Furies, but I liked where they went with the story in its own right.
I actually really enjoyed AI Poe's struggles with his mind. He was the most human character in the whole series.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:04 pm 

The new Tales of the Unexpected has a few decent episodes and a lot of real dross, first 3 are decent, after that the next 3 are just odd and not in a good way.

Better call Saul has started off really strong, one weird scene that was a bit over the top could have easily been cut to about 20 seconds but seemed like it took up about a quarter of the episode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:

Better call Saul has started off really strong, one weird scene that was a bit over the top could have easily been cut to about 20 seconds but seemed like it took up about a quarter of the episode.

Spoiler: show
What was that??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 am 

Started altered carbon yesterday. It’s damn good. Also binged the boys. Does anyone know how close to the comic it is? Thinking of buying them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:44 am 

paddyor wrote:
Started altered carbon yesterday. It’s damn good. Also binged the boys. Does anyone know how close to the comic it is? Thinking of buying them.

I think there's major divergence from what I've read.
I like the Boys, it's good cheesey easy to watch fun, hate the lead actor/character though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 201  Next